December 12, 2018, 10:28:03 AM

Author Topic: Precious Korean Moments  (Read 8384 times)

Offline Kahui

• Explorer
Re: Precious Korean Moments
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 03:40:38 PM »
I sometimes go surfing near Busan, Imrang Beach.

It's always a little bit iffy getting buses back to the nearest bus terminal or station because it's a little bit out in the sticks. The app shows a bus but you can't trust the timing.

Last Summer I was waiting at a bus stop with a friend, beer in hand, trying to figure out if that bus stop was the correct one, there are quite a few along the length of the beach.
As a woman was also waiting there, I asked her if any bus would take us to to Ilgwang station. She said she wasn't sure.

We continued to wait, and the woman's husband arrived in a car to pick her up. We kept chatting and then I heard a 'Chugiyoooo'. The woman waved us over and told us her husband would drive us to the station.

I felt to embarrased as we were carrying huge tinnies (cans of beer) but they were so happy to give us a lift. It was such a scenic ride along the coast (different from the bus route). I was so grateful to share a ride with that couple for 10 minutes.

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 09:20:20 PM »
I have blue eyes which we all know is a novelty to Asians. One of my first classes, a Grade 4 class, there was a boy that was absolutely fascinated by my blue eyes. He stared and stared and eventually he tugged my sleeve and said, " Teacher, teacher contact lenses".
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline dippedinblush

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 11:10:43 PM »
I always have random beautiful moments in taxis with taxi drivers.   I love how some of them hum or sing along with a song.  They don't even care that I am there.  Lots of them have really nice vibratos.  Some of them have a cd playing with a song that contains my "guilty pleasure" on their roster and  sometimes we sing along together.  I really love Korea in these moments.

Offline kea.kate

• Adventurer
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2018, 02:34:36 AM »
Aaaaah taxi drivers haha. Mixed emotions about them. Definitely great experiences and also horrible ones. I can speak some Korean so if I do, sometimes they go "OH YOU ARE SO GOOD AT KOREAN!!!" Other times they ignore me and mumble to themselves about foreigners  :lipsrsealed:  Then there was the one who asked me if I was a model. He was my all time faveeeee~

I always have random beautiful moments in taxis with taxi drivers.   I love how some of them hum or sing along with a song.  They don't even care that I am there.  Lots of them have really nice vibratos.  Some of them have a cd playing with a song that contains my "guilty pleasure" on their roster and  sometimes we sing along together.  I really love Korea in these moments.

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2018, 05:33:17 AM »
I have blue eyes which we all know is a novelty to Asians. One of my first classes, a Grade 4 class, there was a boy that was absolutely fascinated by my blue eyes. He stared and stared and eventually he tugged my sleeve and said, " Teacher, teacher contact lenses".
I've taught a lot of high level classes in the last 15+ years here and never, ever, has any student said "contact lenses", heck only one ever said "lenses" (had lived in America for 3 years).

"Lens" is all I've EVER heard in reference to contact lenses.

Online emcee

• Adventurer
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2018, 07:53:50 AM »
Loved your guys' stories :) I really didn't think I had any moments like this, but the more I read I realized that my time's been pretty rich with stories.

Recently,  I was walking home from school. It was raining a little bit and the roads were slick. As I'm walking up a hill, an old man pulling a cart behind him, loaded with cardboard about 6 feet high, starts waving at me. He's maybe 75, and looks frail. I had my headphones in so I just waved back at him and kept walking. I heard some car-honking going on, and when I turned around the old guy was slipping on the road and fell to his knees. I ended up helping him push the cart up the hill, and when we got there, a youngish Korean guy started helping him and they both waved goodbye to me.

I went to the shop, bought some things, and kept walking home. When I turned the corner, I saw about 6 of my students (middle school 1st graders) helping him with the cart. They were kind of weak, and not incredibly helpful, so I helped the old man take his cart down the hill. When we got there he said thanks and waved goodbye again, but I followed behind him for a while more and he got home ok.

It was a nice moment when he said thank you, but it really killed my heart to know that he has to do this to support himself.

Offline kea.kate

• Adventurer
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2018, 08:23:55 AM »
I've taught a lot of high level classes in the last 15+ years here and never, ever, has any student said "contact lenses", heck only one ever said "lenses" (had lived in America for 3 years).

Me too same  :laugh:

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2018, 10:36:30 AM »

[/b]

So it didn't happen?
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2018, 10:58:51 AM »

[/b]

So it didn't happen?

Shots fired.

I don't know why van went to the trouble of discrediting your story. I believe you.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2018, 03:15:30 PM »

[/b]

So it didn't happen?

Shots fired.

I don't know why van went to the trouble of discrediting your story. I believe you.

I believe him too, however I've also been guilty of forgetting they've spoken broken English and just correcting it in my mind when telling a story.  When you've been teaching here long enough you kind of forgot what they say for the word in Korean and just automatically change it in your head, lol.  Whether the student said 'lensuh' or contact lenses doesn't really change the feeling behind the story though imo.

Online 02sanupp

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2018, 03:39:45 PM »

[/b]

So it didn't happen?

Yeah pretty much.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2018, 03:51:03 PM »

[/b]

So it didn't happen?

Yeah pretty much.

Whether he said lens/lensuh/lenses is irrelevant to the truth of the story.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2018, 04:07:00 PM »
The probability being unlikely doesn't mean it's impossible.  Maybe the student had a previous NET who made a big deal over saying "contact lenses" instead of [insert other variation].  Sometimes you may be surprised at what random English sticks in a student's brain. 

That being said, the probability of the mind self-correcting the memory is a likely possibility as well. 

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2018, 05:09:07 PM »
I've had members on here question the truthfulness of some of my stories before, too, and usually over small, nitpicky stuff that don't really prove or disprove a story's authenticity.

Most posted stories are paraphrased for the point of conciseness or clarity, especially the mundane.

My precious moment: I was walking from a beach to my hotel one Saturday night, and I crossed a group of super friendly ahjummas who all greeted me as they passed by. PICK THAT APART I DARE YOU
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:47:12 PM by Chinguetti »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2018, 08:07:00 PM »
fake news. everybody knows a 'group' of ajummas is actually called a gaggle

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2018, 05:59:07 PM »
I've had members on here question the truthfulness of some of my stories before, too, and usually over small, nitpicky stuff that don't really prove or disprove a story's authenticity.

Most posted stories are paraphrased for the point of conciseness or clarity, especially the mundane.

My precious moment: I was walking from a beach to my hotel one Saturday night, and I crossed a group of super friendly ahjummas who all greeted me as they passed by. PICK THAT APART I DARE YOU

So what powers did they have? :-P

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 07:14:28 AM »
fake news. everybody knows a 'group' of ajummas is actually called a gaggle

Erm, I think you'll find a collective group of ajummas is a 'trot'.  A collective group of ajosshis is a 'stumble' or a 'smoke'.

Or just drunk.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2018, 01:25:42 PM »

....nitpicky stuff that don't doesn't really prove or disprove a story's authenticity.
 :wink:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2018, 01:30:51 PM »

....nitpicky stuff that don't doesn't really prove or disprove a story's authenticity.
Is stuff a synonym for thing or things?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 01:36:18 PM »
Is stuff a synonym for thing or things?
Plural, definitely!
Unless you're that dude from Zero Wing: "All your stuff are belong to us."