July 21, 2017, 05:45:37 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 406927 times)

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6800 on: July 17, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »
I should only have this 4th grade class one more time, but they've added two more in so I have them 3 times in the next 5 days. I guess it's make-up for some that might have been cancelled earlier in the year, but I wish they would have scheduled the make-ups for then and not now. We finished the book last week so I dunno what to do with them. I know I shouldn't whine about having to plan a couple classes, but still I wish they would spaced them out bit.

Oh, don't worry, they'll be spaced out.  :laugh:
Ha, that's for sure. They're all in summer vacation mode and nobody is paying attention to anything. I don't blame them, because their break is only 3.5 weeks and I'd get a mental head start if I could too.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6801 on: July 17, 2017, 08:47:24 PM »
I should only have this 4th grade class one more time, but they've added two more in so I have them 3 times in the next 5 days. I guess it's make-up for some that might have been cancelled earlier in the year, but I wish they would have scheduled the make-ups for then and not now. We finished the book last week so I dunno what to do with them. I know I shouldn't whine about having to plan a couple classes, but still I wish they would spaced them out bit.

I have loads of classes like this so i do stuff like board games/go fish/ bananagrams (sometimes called applegrams) usually every school has a stash that some English teacher bought on a whim and never used.

I also make stuff. Mini books (one page of the mini book is one chapter. Chapter title + 1/2 key expressions and a picture)
Or making music videos - (choose a song, students have one line each and have to draw/write the lyrics artistically. Take pictures. Edit with the song after class)

Basically anything with minimum planning and involvement from me. Spin it as student centered learning / using creativity in the classroom. Teachers love it. Students love it. Bobs your uncle  ;D ;D :laugh:

Offline tadpole511

• Explorer
« Reply #6802 on: July 18, 2017, 12:17:50 AM »
Kids begging to play games for class today (lessons got behind, so we have to finish one last chapter before summer). I acquiesce (done with the lesson and we were going to play a game anyway). They literally just talk the entire time. Don't give a crap about the game. Completely ignoring everything. And I'm fine with that. I don't give a crap what they do as long as they aren't damaging each other or school property. (I honestly don't see why we still have school two weeks after exams anyway.) But the coteacher occasionally pops her head in and says "The students need to talk to you with every activity. They like it." Bull. Sh*t. They're 6th graders. They like talking to each other and bugging the crap out of me until I give them candy. The only English they want to speak is "Candy, teacher!" Not even a d*mn "please".

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6803 on: July 18, 2017, 11:07:36 AM »
Kids begging to play games for class today (lessons got behind, so we have to finish one last chapter before summer). I acquiesce (done with the lesson and we were going to play a game anyway). They literally just talk the entire time. Don't give a crap about the game. Completely ignoring everything. And I'm fine with that. I don't give a crap what they do as long as they aren't damaging each other or school property. (I honestly don't see why we still have school two weeks after exams anyway.) But the coteacher occasionally pops her head in and says "The students need to talk to you with every activity. They like it." Bull. Sh*t. They're 6th graders. They like talking to each other and bugging the crap out of me until I give them candy. The only English they want to speak is "Candy, teacher!" Not even a d*mn "please".

You're right, they just want time to chat.
Your CT is lazy and has figured out how to pass the buck to you.
You've created the problem by giving them sweets. Giving students sweets to get them to behave is a quick fix that'll create a bigger problem, as you can see.

You should be worried that the students simply ignore you to talk and do what they want, you've simply become a mild nuisance to them.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6804 on: July 18, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »
Kids are noisy banshees today. They got that summer fever~

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6805 on: July 18, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
Kids are noisy banshees today. They got that summer fever~

Yep. My classes are write-offs this week. If I walk through the hallway during a free period, I see ~80% of the homeroom teachers playing movies. Heaven forbid I suggest we watch a movie during my class time though. My school is also hilariously starting summer vacation a week later than most schools this year because of some construction last winter vacation (I think. It's unclear.) Another week and a half of movies for the kids it is.

Offline jddavis7

• Veteran
« Reply #6806 on: July 18, 2017, 02:47:55 PM »
This is my 3rd week of phoning it in. Why have school after exams???

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6807 on: July 18, 2017, 02:54:01 PM »

You're in a tough situation. Your coteacher doesn't want to teach (even though the classes she is required to teach to fill her quota include coteaching classes). But she's not in the room, and also putting all the responsibility for them on you. This is a common trick. If anything goes wrong, it's your fault. If you just do a time-filler or fun lesson, you're 'not teaching.' She's got absolute power to skip out of work while at the same time criticize whatever you're doing.

If your co doesn't want to come to class, she shouldn't be micromanaging the class. If your co does come to class, and actively works, then they get a say, but otherwise, if she wants to be inactive, she shouldn't be being picky.

You'll notice a lot of 'should' in there. Because all that is purely theoretical.

Basically there's really nothing you're able to do to improve your situation with her.

But as Waygook.org user Aristocrat said, you can improve your classroom management skills and hopefully get them under control. These weeks are difficult for everyone, but you'll find a way through.

Also candy is terrible. Sorry.

Offline tadpole511

• Explorer
« Reply #6808 on: July 18, 2017, 03:03:45 PM »

You're right, they just want time to chat.
Your CT is lazy and has figured out how to pass the buck to you.
You've created the problem by giving them sweets. Giving students sweets to get them to behave is a quick fix that'll create a bigger problem, as you can see.

You should be worried that the students simply ignore you to talk and do what they want, you've simply become a mild nuisance to them.

Oh, I don't give them candy unless they have the requisite number of stickers. Period. But my co hands it out like crazy. Clean the classroom like they're supposed to? Candy. Sing a song? Candy. Ask for it in English? Candy. Breathe? Candy. (Okay, maybe not that last, but I'm frustrated.) But they know I have the good stuff (not handing it out like, well, candy, means I can afford to spend more on better stuff) so they want that.

And the co is absolutely no help. She knows I have trouble managing 6th grade, but if she is in class, she'll talk with the students as well. Like actively joking and distracting them from the lesson. But I get in trouble if I even look like I might be thinking about not actively teaching. I'm thinking about switching the management system next semester to a "earn 5 minutes free time at the end of class" thing. They get the work done and participate, they can chat for 5 minutes.

Offline JamSiManYo

• Adventurer
« Reply #6809 on: July 18, 2017, 03:05:24 PM »
1st rant: Caught a kid lying to the coteacher about a telapathy/lotto-type game we were doing. I confronted her about it and stopped my co-t from rewarding her behavior. She asked for a reward again and he just .. gave it to her. Says she's just a kid so whatever. Two students complained but they didn't press on.

I'm against generally against games of chance for this reason. It encourages cheating. Kind of annoyed but whatever.

2nd rant: Had someone try to explain to me that "statistically, this little subset of data shows this particular result. Therefore, this is universally true." Annoyed with people who have shallow understanding of technical things but still use said things to support their arguments.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6810 on: July 18, 2017, 03:06:52 PM »
Also candy is terrible poison. Sorry.

Fixed that for you :angel:

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6811 on: July 18, 2017, 05:54:54 PM »

I have loads of classes like this so i do stuff like board games/go fish/ bananagrams (sometimes called applegrams) usually every school has a stash that some English teacher bought on a whim and never used.

I also make stuff. Mini books (one page of the mini book is one chapter. Chapter title + 1/2 key expressions and a picture)
Or making music videos - (choose a song, students have one line each and have to draw/write the lyrics artistically. Take pictures. Edit with the song after class)

Basically anything with minimum planning and involvement from me. Spin it as student centered learning / using creativity in the classroom. Teachers love it. Students love it. Bobs your uncle  ;D ;D :laugh:
I was planning to sing with them anyway today, and I really liked your drawing a music video idea, so I incorporated that. The homeroom teacher did really like the idea.  ;D  Thanks!

Rant: Due to a miscommunication (I really should have double-checked to make sure she understood) some students who have come to camp already might be coming again. That really doesn`t seem fair to me when we only accept 40 students but well over 100 apply. And I`m definitely not changing camp just because a few kids might have done it before.

Also I`m still so annoyed that I only get a week and two days for summer vacation.

Offline kangmin

• Waygookin
« Reply #6812 on: July 18, 2017, 09:19:57 PM »
Man, what's with this site's verification procedures everywhere? Jesus..

Anyway, I think I just screwed myself. I'm a gyopo but I'm waiting for the Korean Govt to process the rescinding of my Korean Citizenship so.. I can't go to Korea on the F-4 until like, December of this year. So basically, no one's going to bat an eye my way. I talked with the consulate here and they said I could still teach abroad on the E-2, so I foolishly assumed this to be the case. Went ahead with gathering all of my documents including getting a f***ing channeler for my FBI CBC. I'm due to get it back next week or so. Getting the fingerprints done and the channeler fee cost me around 100 bucks, no big deal.
Well, that was until I realized I might have just wasted money seeing as how I might not even get a job until next spring. Since that's when I can actually market myself as a gyopo that is eligible for the F-4 FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF***-

The reason I went through with the channeler was that I wanted to start working this Fall as my grandmother is ill--she lives in Seoul--and there's no one there to really take care of her. But compound the fact that I look Korean, with a Korean name, with the added bonus of my non-eligibility for the F-4 until my rescinding process is finalized, I feel like I'm screwed. My qualifications are rather moot seeing as how my degree is unrelated to education. I do have my CELTA but I think I wasted my money on that as well because... I could have just gotten a cheaper TEFL. I mean, the course itself was very beneficial and I feel ready for whatever is to come my way but man I'm just bleeding myself of cash to just get to Korea.

Also, my friend informs me that most contracts now are offered to people looking to exploit the korean government's system by hiring you as a contractor instead of a teacher or something, wot?

[rant related to why I'm not eligible for my F visa, unrelated to main rant]
I was under the impression that once I become naturalized and make the vow to swear allegiance to the United States and yada yada yada, they would have at least notified the Korean government of my citizenship status. Especially since I have been living here for almost 20 years? I signed off papers agreeing to forfeit any and all other citizenships... god... I hate how governments do things. I was young at the time and I don't recall anyone even telling me I had to inform the Korean government directly. My parents didn't even know about this. 

feels better getting some of this out there. I still want to work in Korea but damn this is getting really frustrating.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:29:34 PM by kangmin »

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6813 on: July 19, 2017, 10:49:55 AM »
Turned on the AC a few minutes before class. Students start filing in with TEACHER IT'S HOT IN HERE. Proceeds to leave door open.  :undecided:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6814 on: July 19, 2017, 11:01:32 AM »
I don't want to get into too many details over this rant so that I won't be identified by any "spies", but it amazes me how much trouble some people are willing to put a person through in order to avoid very, very minor inconveniences to themselves that are technically their jobs to deal with anyway.

I just can't grasp how anyone can think that level of selfishness is okay. Ridiculous.

Online z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6815 on: July 19, 2017, 11:40:03 AM »
Chinguetti you just defined Korea.

Don't take it personally.... Remember how many Koreans waste so much time and money just to safe tiny amounts of money, in the process often losing much more money than their saving was actually worth.

Same mindset applies to their work.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:42:56 AM by z80 »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Use war and past injury, as my metaphor and simile
« Reply #6816 on: July 19, 2017, 11:48:03 AM »
Chinguetti you just defined Korea.

Don't take it personally.... Remember how many Koreans waste so much time and money just to safe tiny amounts of money, in the process often losing much more money than their saving was actually worth.

Same mindset applies to their work.

"Lighting bills to find pennies in the dark" comes to mind. 
You can't do half, My crew laughs at your rhubarb-and-custard verses
You rain down curses but I'm waving your hearses driving by

Offline JamSiManYo

• Adventurer
« Reply #6817 on: July 19, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »

Anyway, I think I just screwed myself. I'm a gyopo but I'm waiting for the Korean Govt to process the rescinding of my Korean Citizenship so.. I can't go to Korea on the F-4 until like, December of this year. So basically, no one's going to bat an eye my way. I talked with the consulate here and they said I could still teach abroad on the E-2, so I foolishly assumed this to be the case. Went ahead with gathering all of my documents including getting a f***ing channeler for my FBI CBC. I'm due to get it back next week or so. Getting the fingerprints done and the channeler fee cost me around 100 bucks, no big deal.
Well, that was until I realized I might have just wasted money seeing as how I might not even get a job until next spring. Since that's when I can actually market myself as a gyopo that is eligible for the F-4 FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF***-

The reason I went through with the channeler was that I wanted to start working this Fall as my grandmother is ill--she lives in Seoul--and there's no one there to really take care of her. But compound the fact that I look Korean, with a Korean name, with the added bonus of my non-eligibility for the F-4 until my rescinding process is finalized, I feel like I'm screwed. My qualifications are rather moot seeing as how my degree is unrelated to education. I do have my CELTA but I think I wasted my money on that as well because... I could have just gotten a cheaper TEFL. I mean, the course itself was very beneficial and I feel ready for whatever is to come my way but man I'm just bleeding myself of cash to just get to Korea.

Also, my friend informs me that most contracts now are offered to people looking to exploit the korean government's system by hiring you as a contractor instead of a teacher or something, wot?

[rant related to why I'm not eligible for my F visa, unrelated to main rant]
I was under the impression that once I become naturalized and make the vow to swear allegiance to the United States and yada yada yada, they would have at least notified the Korean government of my citizenship status. Especially since I have been living here for almost 20 years? I signed off papers agreeing to forfeit any and all other citizenships... god... I hate how governments do things. I was young at the time and I don't recall anyone even telling me I had to inform the Korean government directly. My parents didn't even know about this. 

feels better getting some of this out there. I still want to work in Korea but damn this is getting really frustrating.

I personally know a couple of people who were in that position, went through the same processes PLUS the application for EPIK, which is another huge undertaking. They have Korean sounding names and faces. One actually grew up in Korea for a nearly a decade and only became a US citizen within the past 10 years. You'll be fine if you can interview well and know your shit (this is where the CELTA comes in handy so, IMO, not a waste of money). Just don't put all your hopes on Seoul or Busan and you'll be fine.

For the renunciation of citizenship, I thought it was automatic for you after the age of 24? It sucks you have to go through this but you'll make out ahead afterwards. Cheer up!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:04:41 PM by JamSiManYo »

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #6818 on: July 19, 2017, 12:07:33 PM »

Child ****** Muhhammad... There is to be no discussing of religion on this site!

Offline jddavis7

• Veteran
« Reply #6819 on: July 19, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »
I'm so annoyed that the post office won't leave a package at my door. I have no idea how they decide what to leave, and of course I'm never home at deliver times. And for some reason, with this package, they won't even leave one of those 'we missed you' slips so I can call or take it to the post office.

Looks like I'm going to be playing this dance for the rest of the week.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment