October 19, 2017, 03:25:15 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 521393 times)

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6640 on: July 11, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »
Grade 6 class.  Subject is: How tall are you? Co teacher devises a worksheet where the kids fill their height, foot size, how big is your hand, bicep, waist, circumference of head, length of leg etc etc.  Gives them some tape measure and lets them have at it.  She joins in, measuring  the girls.  At one point she yells to me 'help me' and wants me to measure the inner length of one of the boys legs.   :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

no no no, I will not do that.  What is wrong with you!!? Why would you even ask me that?

I definitely don't think it's a good idea for the student's to measure waists, as you will end up with a couple of people with larger numbers than most!! That would be pretty humiliating. It also seems more like a maths lesson than English.

I did a similar thing last year, though I stuck to height, hair length and hand size. My CT insisted on removing the height measuring as many of the students felt too self conscious about reporting their height... 5th grade children are made to feel self conscious about their height... Speaks volumes about the society they live in.

Anyway, to illustrate my point, the students insisted on measuring my height, then proceeded to clap and congratulate me in a bit of an awkward display. My CT seemed to be feeling a bit upstaged and decided to add a new challenge "How long can you split?".
My CT does Yoga and in a rather undignified spectacle, goes into a rather shaky splits with her panties and love handles popping out for all to see.

That sounds so awkward.

I had a CT who refused to take off her 5 inch platform slippers to measure her height against the students whom she was clearly shorter than. She looked at me with pleading eyes to not make her do it, so I said okay, I'll do it alone.

She was fine with them calling her fat and ugly, but when it comes to height it was a big problem. I thought this was something only guys obsessed over here so I really didn't get it. Everyone could see that some 6th graders were really tall, and that she wore platforms to school every day, but she really thought she needed to keep them on to play the game  ;D

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6641 on: July 11, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »
I did a similar thing last year, though I stuck to height, hair length and hand size. My CT insisted on removing the height measuring as many of the students felt too self conscious about reporting their height... 5th grade children are made to feel self conscious about their height... Speaks volumes about the society they live in.

Anyway, to illustrate my point, the students insisted on measuring my height, then proceeded to clap and congratulate me in a bit of an awkward display. My CT seemed to be feeling a bit upstaged and decided to add a new challenge "How long can you split?".
My CT does Yoga and in a rather undignified spectacle, goes into a rather shaky splits with her panties and love handles popping out for all to see.

That sounds so awkward.

I had a CT who refused to take off her 5 inch platform slippers to measure her height against the students whom she was clearly shorter than. She looked at me with pleading eyes to not make her do it, so I said okay, I'll do it alone.

She was fine with them calling her fat and ugly, but when it comes to height it was a big problem. I thought this was something only guys obsessed over here so I really didn't get it. Everyone could see that some 6th graders were really tall, and that she wore platforms to school every day, but she really thought she needed to keep them on to play the game  ;D

This one I can kind of understand. A lot of the elementary kids still associate height with adulthood. I have a few 6th graders who are taller than my Co-T and they don't really pay her any mind when she attempts to discipline them, but they kind of listen to me. My theory is that even though I'm not taller than them either, I'm at least taller than their mothers, so they see me as an adult/authority figure.

I might be wrong with my theory, but this Co-T doesn't have any problems disciplining the smaller kids in the same grade. And they also listen to their homeroom teacher, who is a tall woman.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6642 on: July 11, 2017, 01:04:40 PM »

That sounds so awkward.

This sheds new light on why I'm asked every personal question under the sun but when asked about my height (I am tall so it comes up fairly often), it's prefaced with "I don't want to be impolite but..."

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6643 on: July 11, 2017, 03:14:12 PM »

That sounds so awkward.

This one I can kind of understand. A lot of the elementary kids still associate height with adulthood. I have a few 6th graders who are taller than my Co-T and they don't really pay her any mind when she attempts to discipline them, but they kind of listen to me. My theory is that even though I'm not taller than them either, I'm at least taller than their mothers, so they see me as an adult/authority figure.

I might be wrong with my theory, but this Co-T doesn't have any problems disciplining the smaller kids in the same grade. And they also listen to their homeroom teacher, who is a tall woman.

That definitely could have been her thought process but the woman could have been wearing stilts and those kids wouldn't have cared. They regularly insulted her appearance, swore, threw their books out the window, even talked to her impolitely and all she ever did was shower them with candy. A few cm was never gonna save her  :cry:

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6644 on: July 11, 2017, 04:26:16 PM »

My weekend was completely uneventful, and for the first time in my life I'm having complete writer's block on making camp materials. This has never happened to me before, and it's frustrating.

I don't have writer's block because I stole all my material from someone, I just need to change it a little, but I just cannot get my arse into gear to prep anything. Not even the lesson plans. Although this seems to have happened when I found out I have to have 3 camps and everyone wants a different "theme" or "focus", and all I want is a damn vacation!!!!!!!! Other than that I am pretty good though.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6645 on: July 11, 2017, 04:29:19 PM »
I hate you Hangul Word Processor. Why would you split a word down the middle at the end of a line?

Nobody wri
tes like thi
s!!

Why?!? I'd be hard pressed to find another text input field with the same flaw. Hell, this frickin minimal Quick Reply field on this half-ass coded website does it properly. Why can't you!?!??!

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6646 on: July 11, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »
I hate you Hangul Word Processor. Why would you split a word down the middle at the end of a line?

Nobody wri
tes like thi
s!!

Why?!? I'd be hard pressed to find another text input field with the same flaw. Hell, this frickin minimal Quick Reply field on this half-ass coded website does it properly. Why can't you!?!??!

My stude
nts do th
is and its
so annoy
ing

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6647 on: July 11, 2017, 06:17:05 PM »

Nobody wri
tes like thi
s!!

I ha
te this to
o but is it bec
ause Hangul auto
matically groups its
elf? I have no id
ea

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6648 on: July 11, 2017, 06:23:29 PM »

Nobody wri
tes like thi
s!!

I ha
te this to
o but is it bec
ause Hangul auto
matically groups its
elf? I have no id
ea

I learne
d that H
angul is
n't usua
lly used
anywhe
re exce
pt publi
c and g
overnm
ent fun
ded wo
rkplace
s. Othe
r place
s usual
ly use
MS offi
ce.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6649 on: July 11, 2017, 07:07:57 PM »
Nobody wri
tes like thi
s!!
My stude
nts do th
is and its
so annoy
ing

Korean writing doesn't have any real line-break conventions, especially not when it comes to breaking a line in the middle of a word. The way Hangul is written, and line break naturally happens at the end of a syllable. Because of this, students have no reason to think that there are actual rules dictating how lines words should be partitioned when using the Roman Alphabet. There are a few fun lesson plans on Waygook that involve syllables and hyphenation.

I suspect the same reason is true why the programme-that-shall-not-be-named does't have scripting for breaking up words -- nobody ever bothered to put them in, and when somebody finally brought it up, the coding was already fossilized and it was just too much effort to add it in.
   I mean, who else but Koreans ever use it, and how many of those Koreans care or even know about English word-splitting conventions?

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #6650 on: July 11, 2017, 07:25:29 PM »

Nobody wri
tes like thi
s!!

I think it's because in Korean texts, it's considered acceptable and not odd to do that (i.e. split a word down the middle at the end of a line).

For example:
안녕하
세요.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:16:20 AM by Mezoti97 »

Offline Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6651 on: July 12, 2017, 12:09:47 AM »
We've been doing Jeonse in our current place for 3 years now (contract ending next March) and heard today that the Landlady who bought it 1 year ago wants to sell up.

We moved in paying 240 million. The Landlady after we were there for 2 years sold it on and we stayed on as tenants to the new Landlady but our Jeonse increased to 290 million. Now, she wants to sell it for 330 million. Absolutely maddening prices!

Totally gutted that we didn't buy the place rather than taking out Jeonse as 240 million seems like a steal now. Would have made almost 100 million profit.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6652 on: July 12, 2017, 12:24:50 AM »
We've been doing Jeonse in our current place for 3 years now (contract ending next March) and heard today that the Landlady who bought it 1 year ago wants to sell up.

We moved in paying 240 million. The Landlady after we were there for 2 years sold it on and we stayed on as tenants to the new Landlady but our Jeonse increased to 290 million. Now, she wants to sell it for 330 million. Absolutely maddening prices!

Totally gutted that we didn't buy the place rather than taking out Jeonse as 240 million seems like a steal now. Would have made almost 100 million profit.
Don't beat yourself up over it.
If you make money on your home (on paper), you can only turn that into cash if you move somewhere cheaper.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6653 on: July 12, 2017, 01:20:58 AM »

You paid 240 million for jeonse but you had the option to buy for the same amount. I don't quite understand, but that is an insane amount. Curious if this is in Seoul, some other metropolis, or a smaller area?

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6654 on: July 12, 2017, 01:40:28 AM »
With 240,000,000 KRW, with that kind of capital you would be able to easily buy a 500,000,000+ home, so I don't follow why you would simply park that money.

What was the upside/downside?

If you wanted to remain in your current place, why not take out a 90,000,000 note, which would only be 37% of value.

Surely, you could easily find a bank that would do that, no?

Offline Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6655 on: July 12, 2017, 01:57:51 AM »

You paid 240 million for jeonse but you had the option to buy for the same amount. I don't quite understand, but that is an insane amount. Curious if this is in Seoul, some other metropolis, or a smaller area?

I think the actual cost to buy was 250 million (yeah, Jeonse was almost the same) but we were not looking to buy at that time. Since then lots of new developments have popped up in our area and more are being built, which I guess are driving up prices.

Edit: Not Seoul but Anyang area of Gyeonggi.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:32:38 AM by Savant »

Offline Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6656 on: July 12, 2017, 02:02:14 AM »
With 240,000,000 KRW, with that kind of capital you would be able to easily buy a 500,000,000+ home, so I don't follow why you would simply park that money.

What was the upside/downside?

If you wanted to remain in your current place, why not take out a 90,000,000 note, which would only be 37% of value.

Surely, you could easily find a bank that would do that, no?

We are not that rich and most of our Jeonse is through bank loans. It's a gamble to park your money in an area that you hope will rise in value. Our apartment is at least 20 years old but prices seem to keep rising.

Yeah, it would be "easy" to increase the loan from the bank but we could move into an area 15 minutes away for the same 평 size and far less price than the 330 million our apartment is going for now.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6657 on: July 12, 2017, 11:09:42 AM »
Day 3 of my strict diet.

I'm hangry and hate everyone and everything.  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6658 on: July 12, 2017, 11:20:48 AM »

my god .... you paid 240 mil for jeonse?

putting that money in index funds - which usually average 7-8% per year - would have netted you a return on investment of around 17 to 19 million Won. per year.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6659 on: July 12, 2017, 11:33:08 AM »
You gotta live somewhere, Kobayashi. Plus, the money's on loan for a specific purpose. That probably would have violated the terms of the loan to invest the money.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment