August 19, 2017, 06:18:49 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 438721 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4080 on: January 11, 2017, 11:00:56 AM »
Hey, a clean resolution to an internet misunderstanding! That's pretty sweet. Now back to the daily deskwarming.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4081 on: January 11, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
Had to tell the kids I'll be changing cities next school year. They're pretty bummed. Stupid school board refusing to give me housing allowance and making up crap about the contract that isn't real... Wouldda stayed if they didn't try to force me into moldy bug town while telling me I most likely wouldn't get to keep my school...

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4082 on: January 11, 2017, 01:31:55 PM »
Eh, clean enough. xD

Unfortunately, 2 is the tack that was taken, so his response afterwards is a little less surprising and a touch less unwarranted. We can't expect him to be calm and mature when calmness and maturity aren't what he was treated with to begin with.

Yes, his first comment was absolutely douchetastic, but he does have a point in saying that it isn't really reasonable to expect him to have the full backstory as presented over dozens of pages of a rant/vent megathread. People reacted without keeping that in mind, and then were surprised when he dug in his heels, which in retrospect is nearly as odd as his behavior seemed.

I'm not defending his initial comment here, of course. It was pretty tactless and uppitty, and taking it to nasty PMs kinda supports the idea that maybe he's just a bit of a douche. I just have more time than I know what to do with this week, so I thought I'd blabber on for a bit about the whole interaction.

Here's the thing, no one was expecting him to do that. The expectation was that he shouldn't jump to a completely unsupported conclusion without asking for details, like any normal person would, especially since this is the rant thread, but he chose to ignore that and instead launched right into attack mode. Then he was shocked when someone decided to step into the ring with him and give him a dose of his own bullshit?

While it's true I could have used more tact, I didn't and still don't feel he deserved it, especially when he chose to question yirj17's honesty rather than admit that he'd made a serious error in judgement and continued to go on to try to justify it. His approach was completely inappropriate and tacky, and I wasn't going to show him any consideration if he couldn't provide the same.

All the same, I'm happy to leave this where it is and will ignore him on this matter from here and out, PMs included.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:40:09 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4083 on: January 11, 2017, 01:33:45 PM »

In other news, camp is still hell. I mean the kids are enjoying their activities, but it's just so much work for me. Between keeping constant surveillance and running interference and managing damage control while keeping the place CLEAN, I've been mentally exhausted. I don't think I'll be repeating these activities without a coT in the future. Sure, it's fun, but I feel like someone stuck me in a bag and slammed me against the wall a few times.

I am feeling like this. Grade 1&2 camps are over, now into 8 days of Grade 3's and 4's in the morning and Grade 5's and 6's in the afternoon. Giant classes too, way too many kids have signed up..... That first day of desk warming is going to be so sweet after all this! Soooooo sweet!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4084 on: January 11, 2017, 01:46:25 PM »
Omfg camp was a nightmare today.  It's 4 hours of me alone with them but today the English teachers weren't even here to pop their heads in once every two hours.  Games were impossible because the kids were so nuts today and the display screen isn't working.  So I said we should watch a movie.  But they argued they wanted to play board games because some of them have badminton camp the rest of the week.  So I let them play monopoly but the boys were going nuts and stealing money and being insane so the girls quit and then there was 30 minutes left which wasn't enough time to start a movie and they said "teacher break time?" and I said uhh okay and came to my desk for ten minutes, figuring I'd go back up and let them go early.  But the little brats refused and demanded we play a game for the last 15 minutes  >:(

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4085 on: January 11, 2017, 02:33:37 PM »
All of these camp stories tell me that if I get moved to elementary in March, I'll probably just quite and go home.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4086 on: January 11, 2017, 02:36:58 PM »
The above story is middle, btw.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4087 on: January 11, 2017, 02:42:53 PM »
Omfg camp was a nightmare today.  It's 4 hours of me alone with them but today the English teachers weren't even here to pop their heads in once every two hours.  Games were impossible because the kids were so nuts today and the display screen isn't working.  So I said we should watch a movie.  But they argued they wanted to play board games because some of them have badminton camp the rest of the week.  So I let them play monopoly but the boys were going nuts and stealing money and being insane so the girls quit and then there was 30 minutes left which wasn't enough time to start a movie and they said "teacher break time?" and I said uhh okay and came to my desk for ten minutes, figuring I'd go back up and let them go early.  But the little brats refused and demanded we play a game for the last 15 minutes  >:(

Surprisingly, my camp this winter break is going smoothly (or at least, as smoothly as is possible with crazy kids) but this is exactly the reason I would literally prefer two, hell, even three, months of deskwarming to two weeks of camp. If camp is hell and vacation (or leaving right after camp/class) is heaven, then deskwarming is purgatory and I will take that any day over one more day of camp.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4088 on: January 11, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »

Then in that case...

All of these camp stories tell me that if I get moved to elementary or middle in March, I'll probably just quite and go home.

:wink:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4089 on: January 11, 2017, 03:15:56 PM »
Yes I'm teaching in a technical high school in Busan.

The level is very low but that's not a bad thing really.  The students are very respectful.  I've never had any problems with behaviour, ever. 

Although having to do camps in general is annoying, I feel lucky in that I don't have to do things like painting, cooking, crafts, general babysitting because I know I'd be TERRIBLE at that.

Try to get into a high school if you can  ;D

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • The octopus has a big clock.
« Reply #4090 on: January 11, 2017, 03:27:24 PM »

sixtieshappy: 1
m night shyamalan: 2
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4091 on: January 11, 2017, 03:31:04 PM »
Idgi

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4092 on: January 11, 2017, 03:34:33 PM »
Eh, clean enough. xD

Unfortunately, 2 is the tack that was taken, so his response afterwards is a little less surprising and a touch less unwarranted. We can't expect him to be calm and mature when calmness and maturity aren't what he was treated with to begin with.

Yes, his first comment was absolutely douchetastic, but he does have a point in saying that it isn't really reasonable to expect him to have the full backstory as presented over dozens of pages of a rant/vent megathread. People reacted without keeping that in mind, and then were surprised when he dug in his heels, which in retrospect is nearly as odd as his behavior seemed.

I'm not defending his initial comment here, of course. It was pretty tactless and uppitty, and taking it to nasty PMs kinda supports the idea that maybe he's just a bit of a douche. I just have more time than I know what to do with this week, so I thought I'd blabber on for a bit about the whole interaction.

Here's the thing, no one was expecting him to do that. The expectation was that he shouldn't jump to a completely unsupported conclusion without asking for details, like any normal person would, especially since this is the rant thread, but he chose to ignore that and instead launched right into attack mode. Then he was shocked when someone decided to step into the ring with him and give him a dose of his own bullshit?

While it's true I could have used more tact, I didn't and still don't feel he deserved it, especially when he chose to question yirj17's honesty rather than admit that he'd made a serious error in judgement and continued to go on to try to justify it. His approach was completely inappropriate and tacky, and I wasn't going to show him any consideration if he couldn't provide the same.

All the same, I'm happy to leave this where it is and will ignore him on this matter from here and out, PMs included.

Oh, I don't think your reaction was unjustified at all. I just don't think it was helpful, either.  :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4093 on: January 11, 2017, 05:05:41 PM »
Oh, I don't think your reaction was unjustified at all. I just don't think it was helpful, either.  :laugh:

I wasn't trying to be helpful, I'll give you that. xD

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4094 on: January 11, 2017, 11:05:52 PM »
Telling someone they are an embarassment is not trolling!  Seriously, this place is becoming like Daves ESL police state!

Offline gidget

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4095 on: January 12, 2017, 09:44:21 AM »
I hope I completely misunderstood this situation so someone in the know, PLEASE, please, please tell me. I'm naturally paranoid, this makes me a little more than that. 

Apparently all the teachers' Internet activity is going to be monitored more actively this year. As in, the system is somehow connected to the Head Teacher's computer and what you're doing will be mirrored on his computer. It's to monitor that teachers are using the Internet for education purposes and not online shopping, or watching videos.

The head teacher asked another teacher what she was doing on gmarket, she said classroom supply shopping, he asked if clothes were classroom supplies, she wanted to know how he knew what she was looking at, he explained the above, she explained it to me later.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4096 on: January 12, 2017, 11:12:20 AM »
I hope I completely misunderstood this situation so someone in the know, PLEASE, please, please tell me. I'm naturally paranoid, this makes me a little more than that. 

Apparently all the teachers' Internet activity is going to be monitored more actively this year. As in, the system is somehow connected to the Head Teacher's computer and what you're doing will be mirrored on his computer. It's to monitor that teachers are using the Internet for education purposes and not online shopping, or watching videos.

The head teacher asked another teacher what she was doing on gmarket, she said classroom supply shopping, he asked if clothes were classroom supplies, she wanted to know how he knew what she was looking at, he explained the above, she explained it to me later.

Never heard of that.  Is that in a hagwon?  Does sound pretty shitty.  I know at a boys middle school I did some extra classes in, they blocked all outside email, so teachers could only use the school one.  At my school, they have this dumb 'Hantool' program thing which closes the school system and keeps deleting my uTorrent, not sure if it monitors it, but then again I suppose all internet use is monitored......but nothing like having someone checking it in real time like your head teacher.  Sounds like he/she has got too much time on his/her hands. 

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4097 on: January 12, 2017, 12:31:13 PM »
Power has been out at school for about 30 minutes. Now there's even less of a point to deskwarming.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4098 on: January 12, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »

Never heard of that.  Is that in a hagwon?  Does sound pretty shitty.  I know at a boys middle school I did some extra classes in, they blocked all outside email, so teachers could only use the school one.  At my school, they have this dumb 'Hantool' program thing which closes the school system and keeps deleting my uTorrent, not sure if it monitors it, but then again I suppose all internet use is monitored......but nothing like having someone checking it in real time like your head teacher.  Sounds like he/she has got too much time on his/her hands.
From what I've heard from my coteachers, IT in public schools have the ability to track your internet use. Most don't bother because it's wayyyy too much work but if you have an uber busybody who absolutely must know what you're doing at all timesthen yeah, they can hover over your virtual shoulder.  :undecided:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4099 on: January 12, 2017, 12:40:34 PM »
Not unusual for employers to do this.

Courts in Canada and elsewhere have established that there is no expectation of privacy on your employer provided computer.

Not sure of the local law, but would be surprised if it was different:

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment