December 17, 2017, 02:48:07 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 601182 times)

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #980 on: September 14, 2016, 04:35:51 PM »
do an hour or so of running on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and you will see the fat disappear!!

I would rather be fat.

+1

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #981 on: September 14, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »
Is it compulsory for Korean families to argue about everything loudly today?

My apartment is I would say "middle class" you know, car park full of mostly new Korean cars and a few imported cars, yet as I walk around here pretty much every husband and wife a yelling at each other.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #982 on: September 15, 2016, 04:58:29 PM »
But I know there's a shard of glass about as thin as a spider's silk strand just waiting for my foot somewhere.

This just ****ing happened.

Motherfluffer.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #983 on: September 19, 2016, 07:56:44 AM »
It's never too early for this thread!

So now that my lesson plans are finally repeating for elementary, my coT has to assert some kind of annoying control. I "have to" reprint her the lesson plans with adjusted dates at the top every week.  :rolleyes: She insists that the principal or other teachers (none of whom speak English...) might want to look at them.

I feel like this is all bullshite but whatever.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #984 on: September 19, 2016, 08:31:41 AM »
Same teacher who told me I shouldn't sit down during class is now asking me why I don't sit down with the students.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #985 on: September 19, 2016, 08:45:36 AM »
My 5th graders literally always come in screaming... just why  :huh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #986 on: September 19, 2016, 08:57:37 AM »

티처~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 야~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #987 on: September 19, 2016, 09:09:19 AM »
contrary to what was thought for a long time, it is actually possible to gain new fat cells later in life: http://news.health.ufl.edu/2011/15154/multimedia/health-in-a-heartbeat/adults-can-grow-new-fat-cells-after-all-study-shows/. it's also not possible to spot-reduce fat - ie. reduce fat in only one place of your body.

to lose weight and/or fat, the method is pretty simple: work out what your current calorie intake is, and reduce that by 2-300 calories per month until you get to a weight or body fat % you're happy with. if you want abs, you need to be around 10% body fat. but even less than 15% body fat will look good.

to work out what your current calorie intake is, eat your normal diet over the course of 1-2 weeks but put EVERYTHING you eat or drink into My Fitness Pal (https://www.myfitnesspal.com/). and i mean EVERYTHING, because there are a lot of hidden calories in stuff. for example, those Maxim mix coffee sticks contain around 100 calories each. drink 2-3 of those a day and you're getting an extra 2-300 calories per day that you might not have realized.

and that's pretty much it. how your reduce your calories is entirely up to you. you can eat less food, or you can change to healthier food which has less calories, or use some combination of those 2 methods. no need to crash diet or change your diet if you don't want to. you could eat McDonald's every day and still lose weight, although wouldn't be the healthiest way.

not even any need to exercise if you don't want to, although exercise is healthy and will help you to use up more calories every day. if you hate having a healthy, pain-free spine then by all means go ahead and do crossfit.
I'm just gonna piggyback off of this to say that you can gain fat cells by eating unhealthily, but you can't lose fat cells without lipo, you can only shrink them. This is why it's super hard to lose weight and people find that they have a barrier for how much weight they can lose through diet and exercise alone. Because even if you've shrunken all your fat cells to the size they were in high school, you probably wouldn't be at high school weight, due to having more fat cells in your body than back then.

I actually had no reason to be in the ranting/venting thread this morning, I was just bored... but now I have a reason. This is so depressing...  :sad: It feels like... one year of letting yourself go just messes your body up for the future & there's nothing you can do about it! I don't want lipo but I definitely need to get rid of some extra padding in some areas. I always gain weight over summer, what's up with that?

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #988 on: September 19, 2016, 09:41:03 AM »

티처~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 야~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ahem..... TEACHAAA WHAT TIME IS IIIIIT?!?!?!  *SCREEECH* TEACHA SHE HIT MEEEE!!!! *something loudly falls down* *sliding door comes off the track from the door being flung open* Is it Friday yet?  :huh:

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #989 on: September 19, 2016, 09:42:36 AM »
I'm just gonna piggyback off of this to say that you can gain fat cells by eating unhealthily, but you can't lose fat cells without lipo, you can only shrink them. This is why it's super hard to lose weight and people find that they have a barrier for how much weight they can lose through diet and exercise alone. Because even if you've shrunken all your fat cells to the size they were in high school, you probably wouldn't be at high school weight, due to having more fat cells in your body than back then.

A fat guy going into a concentration camp is going to end up looking like everyone else isn't he?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #990 on: September 19, 2016, 09:46:19 AM »
Reading all this makes me really glad I have tiny classes. Even if they're loud there's not many of them.

Does anyone else have a coT who always states really obvious things? One of the reasons my elem. coT annoys me is she'll tell me obvious or redundant things. Every time I see her, the same things. Is it cause she's an elem. teacher?  :undecided:

Also, already looking forward to Friday, hahah. I'm still tired from traveling during chuseok hahaha

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #991 on: September 19, 2016, 09:50:34 AM »
I absolutely hate the insane amount of solicitor calls I get on my phone. Stop calling me. I don't speak Korean, you cannot communicate with me!! Stop calling me!!!!

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #992 on: September 19, 2016, 10:19:41 AM »
A fat guy going into a concentration camp is going to end up looking like everyone else isn't he?

It's a bit more complex than that.

An overweight person who loses weight permanently shows their metabolism.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/

Getting fatter means fat cells can split to form new fat cells. Those cells can shrink but not be eliminated.

It's better to do everything to not gain weight in the first place because losing it and then keeping it off is a huge struggle.

That's why I avoid white rice and alcohol completely.

Better to eat healthfully than have to exercise for hours everyday.

Metabolism slows with age, too. Even if a weight stays about the same, muscle mass decreases while fat is added.

The problem is lipo and stomach band surgery is the risk of injury or death is high. Also true for other cosmetic surgeries, or just surgeries in general. Not that much fat can be removed from lipo and it could scar you or make your skin look weird.  I heard when fat cells are sucked out from lipo, one's body returns to their set point of fat cells anyways or something like that. Hard to lose weight and keep it off no matter what the method.

In one's teens and even into the early twenties a person might be able to eat a lot of crap and not get fat, but that is less likely as time goes on.

So really make sure what you are eating is as healthy as possible and try to exercise often.

Koreans can eat white rice and not get fat, but they are genetically different from Caucasians and grew up eating it (as did their ancestors) so it affects them differently.

For most white people I know, eating white rice made them fatter. It crept up gradually, but it happened.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #993 on: September 19, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »
This coT drives me batty. Always redundantly going on about how I need to prepare lots of materials for class.

Takes large chunks of class time to "review" for upcoming tests (review = making students memorize and spit out dialogue).

Says she will take 20 minutes for the current class. It's 10 minutes in and she hasn't started class yet cause she's busy on her computer. Whenever she wants to do stuff on her computer she gives the students "free time." K...

Guess I should be grateful for the extra downtime. It's just annoying being constantly told to prepare lots of "fun materials" for class when she clearly had other plans.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #994 on: September 19, 2016, 12:43:29 PM »
Has anyone ever asked to observe their CTs class?  I mean the English classes they teach without you?

I've been here for two and a half years and I've never seen one (aside from looking through a window when walking past a classroom).

I'm really, really curious about what happens in those classes. 

Do you think my colleagues would get defensive if I asked to sit at the back and watch their class?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #995 on: September 19, 2016, 12:59:28 PM »
Probably. One of my middle school coTs is easily embarrassed and would probably hate to be observed (even if by just me and we get along pretty well).

I have seen how my elem. coT "teaches" sometimes when she needs to take my class period to "catch up on the book." All she literally does is sit at the computer and click through the CD and make the class repeat after her. And yet she still manages to get behind.

Also, further annoyed as my elem. coT keeps talking about how things are going to be "easy" for me now that lessons are repeating. I still have middle schools to prepare new lessons and materials for not to mention improving previous lessons that didn't go over well or could be better. (Something I'm sure she doesn't believe in as she seems interested on coasting by as easily as possible. Don't project your laziness on me, woman  >:( )

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #996 on: September 19, 2016, 01:06:48 PM »
Also, further annoyed as my elem. coT keeps talking about how things are going to be "easy" for me now that lessons are repeating. I still have middle schools to prepare new lessons and materials for not to mention improving previous lessons that didn't go over well or could be better. (Something I'm sure she doesn't believe in as she seems interested on coasting by as easily as possible. Don't project your laziness on me, woman  >:( )

God I get this as well and I hate it.  Heaven forbid we reuse material (something that every teacher in the world does).

I'm pretty sure that if the school textbook doesn't change then our CTs are just teaching the same classes with the same worksheets every year.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #997 on: September 19, 2016, 01:23:36 PM »
I taught at the same school for four years. I had one co-teacher who told me I wasn't allowed to use material I'd made for the previous year.
I don't understand. This makes the lessons BETTER. You know what works and what doesn't. You know how to improve it.

And the best part? IT'S STILL NEW FOR THE STUDENTS. The teachers have done it sure, but it's not about them. It's about education for the students. And if you know that something is engaging and educational, you should be able to use it a million times. As long as you don't act bored with the material, who gives a shit?

So stupid.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #998 on: September 19, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »
I taught at the same school for four years. I had one co-teacher who told me I wasn't allowed to use material I'd made for the previous year.
I don't understand. This makes the lessons BETTER. You know what works and what doesn't. You know how to improve it.

And the best part? IT'S STILL NEW FOR THE STUDENTS. The teachers have done it sure, but it's not about them. It's about education for the students. And if you know that something is engaging and educational, you should be able to use it a million times. As long as you don't act bored with the material, who gives a shit?

So stupid.

Yeah. It was absurd. I had one lesson I wanted to do for the grade six writing period in a lesson. Students see a sentence on the TV and have to find the mistakes, correct them, and write it in their notebook. I was at a really high level school, so students actually really enjoyed stuff like this that was a bit of a challenge. I had made it from scratch the previous year with sentences that exactly matched the lesson material, etc.

So, I was like, "Let's use this lesson, it worked really well last year and students really enjoyed it."

She responded, "Well, you should be making new material and being more creative. Plus, it doesn't matter if students enjoyed it, it matters whether or not it was useful. We can't just do whatever students want all the time."

And I was like, "This is an activity for the writing period which actively gets students writing, and also writing correctly and learning how to spot their own mistakes, and they enjoy it."

And in the end she said she didn't like it and I had to make something new.

Should have told her "Well it doesn't matter if you like it, it matters that it was useful. We can't just do what you want all the time."  :evil:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #999 on: September 19, 2016, 01:57:36 PM »

So stupid.

Yeah. It was absurd. I had one lesson I wanted to do for the grade six writing period in a lesson. Students see a sentence on the TV and have to find the mistakes, correct them, and write it in their notebook. I was at a really high level school, so students actually really enjoyed stuff like this that was a bit of a challenge. I had made it from scratch the previous year with sentences that exactly matched the lesson material, etc.

So, I was like, "Let's use this lesson, it worked really well last year and students really enjoyed it."

She responded, "Well, you should be making new material and being more creative. Plus, it doesn't matter if students enjoyed it, it matters whether or not it was useful. We can't just do whatever students want all the time."

And I was like, "This is an activity for the writing period which actively gets students writing, and also writing correctly and learning how to spot their own mistakes, and they enjoy it."

And in the end she said she didn't like it and I had to make something new.

Should have told her "Well it doesn't matter if you like it, it matters that it was useful. We can't just do what you want all the time."  :evil:

Well yes, but you can't just tell your superior that they're wrong. That's a really good way to get your contract not-renewed.

I know. But we can dream, eh?  :angel: