October 19, 2017, 03:42:31 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 521502 times)

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #960 on: September 09, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »
Are you ****** kidding me.  In addition to summer and winter English camps that everyone has to do, *I* suffered through having to do a spring camp in May, and just found out I have to do fall camp in September and October.  I get paid extra, but Jesus Christ whose ****** idea is this shit.

If it's extra, don't you have to agree to it? wouldn't it be considered overtime? or is it in place of your normal lessons?

I'm pretty sure she has the right to refuse, but a lot of schools will have you believe otherwise. They make it difficult to say "no" and then throw a tantrum when you do it anyway, so a lot of teachers just go with it to maintain a good working relationship with the school.

My secondary school tried to pull that crap on me last year but my main school's coT got involved and he wouldn't let them do it. They argued for two days over it, got really heated -- my coT even hung up on them once.

I was lucky that I had such an awesome (and senior) coT.

Yea, I have heard a lot of stories like that. :(
I'd just flat out refuse, I have very little free time as it is (outside of school) - If it was during my school day, I'd be happy to do it, most days I only have 3 classes, tuesday's I have 6, so I have lots of time during the day I could do it, but my time is my time. :P

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #961 on: September 09, 2016, 03:19:10 PM »
Are you ****** kidding me.  In addition to summer and winter English camps that everyone has to do, *I* suffered through having to do a spring camp in May, and just found out I have to do fall camp in September and October.  I get paid extra, but Jesus Christ whose ****** idea is this shit.

If it's extra, don't you have to agree to it? wouldn't it be considered overtime? or is it in place of your normal lessons?

It's extra and it is overtime.  It's 4:50 - 6:20.  I wasn't asked, I was told.

Then in the contract, you should be able to turn it down right? I'm pretty sure in mine it says - overtime has to be agreed to by both parties.

if it's public school they can make you teach up to 26 hours per week before you can refuse. so you can be made to do 4 hours of mandatory overtime per week, but of course they have to pay you for it.

anything over 26 hours and you have the right to refuse.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #962 on: September 09, 2016, 03:28:59 PM »
I inherited supplementary classes due to the previous teacher agreeing to teach them, so they said I needed to continue.

I hate these classes most of the time.

I would gladly have them keep the extra 300-400,000 each month, as every lesson is a "one-off" which, as all of you know too well, is a complete waste of time.

I miss the days when schools were so big that I would only have 2-3 preps a week and could teach the same lesson 8+ times.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #963 on: September 09, 2016, 03:47:12 PM »
The whole camp will be about 4 hours extra per week.  Honestly if they did ask me I probably would've said yes since I still have time to get to my Wednesday night plans.  I'm just so sick of camp.  It's so ridiculous.  No one likes it.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #964 on: September 09, 2016, 04:24:24 PM »
if it's public school they can make you teach up to 26 hours per week before you can refuse. so you can be made to do 4 hours of mandatory overtime per week, but of course they have to pay you for it.

Does this go for contracts for EPIK teachers, too? I'll have to look at mine when I get home, but my coT last year was pretty adamant that my secondary school could not force me to work any amount of overtime. He fought so hard for me (and won).

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #965 on: September 09, 2016, 04:26:53 PM »
I feel like I've been trying to lose my belly fat for like 3 years. It wont budge! everywhere else I lose weight and I don't know what gives. I eat healthy food most of the time, I workout 5 or 6 days a week, some strength training with Pilates and cardio with H.I.I.T training. I'm.  So.  Frustrated.  :sad:

Offline itsalliecat

• Waygookin
« Reply #966 on: September 09, 2016, 04:34:41 PM »

Does this go for contracts for EPIK teachers, too? I'll have to look at mine when I get home, but my coT last year was pretty adamant that my secondary school could not force me to work any amount of overtime. He fought so hard for me (and won).

It doesn't as far as I know. I'm with EPIK and my school tried to pull the same thing, basically telling me that the school was going to have a "weekend english summer camp". They threw temper tantrums when I refused, but there was nothing in the contract saying they could force me to work that overtime.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #967 on: September 09, 2016, 04:35:45 PM »
I feel like I've been trying to lose my belly fat for like 3 years. It wont budge! everywhere else I lose weight and I don't know what gives. I eat healthy food most of the time, I workout 5 or 6 days a week, some strength training with Pilates and cardio with H.I.I.T training. I'm.  So.  Frustrated.  :sad:

Belly fat is the worst. I was fat all my life until I came to Korea. Then my first two years here, I had the blessed combination of having very few classes at my job, and having a job that let me go to the gym next to it during work hours. So, I was spending a lot of time at the gym and managed to get to where, if I flexed and the lighting was right, I had a six-pack.

Then I started at another school where they worked me like a dog for four years, and I haven't been to the gym in forever. And now I have a soft belly and it's awful. But nothing I try seems to get rid of it.

Remember. Abs are made in the kitchen before the gym. Basically, if you're a human being and you enjoy things like beer, food, or anything with calories, you're going to have a super hard time getting rid of belly fat. It's one of the first to come and last to go, because otherwise models would be out of a job.

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #968 on: September 09, 2016, 04:40:23 PM »
And I suppose you're going to educate us all because you're so full of wisdom and worldly knowledge?

My rant: I killed my iPod nano. It was not a peaceful death. ;c

Is this a rave in a rant thread??

I accidentally left my nano in my shorts' pocket and threw it in the wash. It still works but will sometimes skip songs and will not play the previous track anymore.  :-[

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #969 on: September 10, 2016, 11:23:09 AM »

Belly fat is the worst. I was fat all my life until I came to Korea. Then my first two years here, I had the blessed combination of having very few classes at my job, and having a job that let me go to the gym next to it during work hours. So, I was spending a lot of time at the gym and managed to get to where, if I flexed and the lighting was right, I had a six-pack.

Then I started at another school where they worked me like a dog for four years, and I haven't been to the gym in forever. And now I have a soft belly and it's awful. But nothing I try seems to get rid of it.

Remember. Abs are made in the kitchen before the gym. Basically, if you're a human being and you enjoy things like beer, food, or anything with calories, you're going to have a super hard time getting rid of belly fat. It's one of the first to come and last to go, because otherwise models would be out of a job.
I def know the abs are made in the kitchen. I feel like for the most part I eat very healthily. Especically compared to my friends who don't give a fudge.  I think I just need to be more dedicated but sometimes I worry that my genetics may be working against me slightly.  Not to mention I hold alot of stress and anxiety, which increases cortisol levels which signals the body to store fat, typically in the middle section.

Offline katsuya245126

• Adventurer
« Reply #970 on: September 12, 2016, 01:55:35 AM »
god damn I'm having a such hard time coming up with an activity for pop song class  :cry:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #971 on: September 12, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »

I def know the abs are made in the kitchen. I feel like for the most part I eat very healthily. Especically compared to my friends who don't give a fudge.  I think I just need to be more dedicated but sometimes I worry that my genetics may be working against me slightly.  Not to mention I hold alot of stress and anxiety, which increases cortisol levels which signals the body to store fat, typically in the middle section.

On the topic of belly fat -

In the space of four days I had a birthday, a 회식 and a housewarming party that all required going out and eating a ton of high calorie, unhealthy food. My body has literally puffed up like a balloon. I had to go into my closet for a different pair of pants this morning because my usual ones wouldn't even button up.

I feel gross.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #972 on: September 12, 2016, 10:56:29 AM »
god damn I'm having a such hard time coming up with an activity for pop song class  :cry:

Screw pop songs. I stick to kid's songs. Old MacDonald, BINGO, ABC, I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, Down by the Bay, You Are My Sunshine, the list goes on. I don't have to deal with sexy dances or sketchy lyrics and the kids can actually sing them.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #973 on: September 12, 2016, 11:07:56 AM »
Monday morning, no internet in the English room... Good thing I prepared my lesson on Friday...

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #974 on: September 12, 2016, 11:08:20 AM »
You know what's even ruder than blowing your nose on the bus? Sniffling your snot back up your throat/nose every 4 seconds as loud as you can for 15 mins.  :rolleyes:
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Gasian

« Reply #975 on: September 12, 2016, 11:36:51 AM »
I really really hate humans. Today it is especially bad. That is all.

Offline kzcl

• Veteran
« Reply #976 on: September 12, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »
Just got done with a 34 minute Kafkaesque nightmare-roundabout-discussion with my coteacher.

Me: "I couldn't find you so I asked X teacher what to do."
CoT: "You need to find me."
Me: "I tried."
CoT: "Well if you can't find me you need to ask  one of the other English teachers. You know I'm not the only English teacher in the school. X teacher and Y teacher - ask them."
Me: "I asked X teacher. And she said to do [what I did]"
CoT: "You don't teach classes with X teacher! You teach classes with me. You need to ask me"
Me: "I couldn't find you."
CoT: "Well then ask one of the other teachers!"

34 minutes of that.   

I know we were just talking circles around each other to save face but seriously.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #977 on: September 12, 2016, 02:26:36 PM »
My teachers class was canceled and replaced by after school classes for the kids. That's cool, I'm quite content with it.

I get along very well with one of my students and offered to continue teaching her on my time for free. (She bought me a cake and coffee. Chocolate cake for those who are curious.)

Anyways, cruise along to last week and we have our first lesson. Nbd, I got lots of spare time and enjoy the conversation.

Come in today, old CT who never came to teachers class is not directly asking but definitely hinting at me giving her private lessons for free. Nice lil sob story about 'please understand my situation.'

F OFF. I don't care about your problems lady.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #978 on: September 12, 2016, 05:08:25 PM »
You should strongly hint at how much you like expensive things.

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #979 on: September 12, 2016, 05:38:23 PM »

I hope this comes off as helpful and not Captain Contrarian, but abs really aren't made in the kitchen. It's such an old school trope that gets repeated so often that it becomes accepted fact when there's no truth to it at all. Abs are muscles. If you don't have thick, strong abdominal muscles then you wont have abs.

Many people diet forever in search of abs that aren't there. Some heavy compound lifting exercises like squats and deadlifts will massively strengthen that part of your body and gives more surface area for the fat to have to stretch over.

If you diet and eat 'healthily' and still make no progress then it's a lack of muscle not a failure to diet properly.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment