October 19, 2017, 03:39:30 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 521492 times)

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #940 on: September 09, 2016, 12:20:03 AM »
Americans think the economy is in far worse shape than it is.

The U.S. unemployment rate is only 4.9%, but 57% of Americans believe it's a lot higher than that, according to a new survey by the John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University.

The general public has "extremely little factual knowledge" about the job market and labor force, Rutgers found.

It's another example of how experts on Wall Street and in Washington see the economy differently than the regular Joe. Many of the nation's top economic experts say that America is "near full employment." The unemployment rate has actually been at or below 5% for almost a year -- millions of people have found jobs in what is the best period of hiring since the late 1990s.

But regular people appear to have their doubts about how healthy America's employment picture is. Nearly a third of those survey by Rutgers believe unemployment is actually at 9%, or higher.

Republican candidate Donald Trump has tapped into this confusion. He has repeatedly called the official unemployment rate a "joke" and a even "hoax."

It's not just the unemployment rate that people get wrong. Americans also greatly overestimate the number of workers who are represented by unions and how many workers are foreign born.

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #941 on: September 09, 2016, 02:03:30 AM »

The U.S. unemployment rate is only 4.9%, but 57% of Americans believe it's a lot higher than that, according to a new survey by the John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University.

The general public has "extremely little factual knowledge" about the job market and labor force, Rutgers found.

It's another example of how experts on Wall Street and in Washington see the economy differently than the regular Joe. Many of the nation's top economic experts say that America is "near full employment." The unemployment rate has actually been at or below 5% for almost a year -- millions of people have found jobs in what is the best period of hiring since the late 1990s.

But regular people appear to have their doubts about how healthy America's employment picture is. Nearly a third of those survey by Rutgers believe unemployment is actually at 9%, or higher.

Republican candidate Donald Trump has tapped into this confusion. He has repeatedly called the official unemployment rate a "joke" and a even "hoax."

It's not just the unemployment rate that people get wrong. Americans also greatly overestimate the number of workers who are represented by unions and how many workers are foreign born.

I fail to see the rant.  I'm guessing you meant to go into how can so many people be so ignorant?

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #942 on: September 09, 2016, 02:16:11 AM »

First, Steelrails and now, ladies and gentlemen, we have World Traveler. I understand. I mean since eslcafe banned conversation, there has to be somewhere to go, right?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:30:58 AM by Somebody »

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #943 on: September 09, 2016, 09:35:53 AM »
Haha, nice try. The rant is: many, many people in the world are overly confident and think they know everything, when in fact they are woefully ignorant. That extends to waygook.org as well. Tons of vapid fools (Obama haters, etc.) who don't know what they're talking about...but think they do.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #944 on: September 09, 2016, 10:47:12 AM »
And I suppose you're going to educate us all because you're so full of wisdom and worldly knowledge?

My rant: I killed my iPod nano. It was not a peaceful death. ;c

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #945 on: September 09, 2016, 10:53:10 AM »
Firstly, Zola is a godamn man. She? Come on.
Apologies! Genders are so complicated.
Is it okay if I just refer to you as 'bread'?

I'm okay with you refering to me as 'bread'. :)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #946 on: September 09, 2016, 10:59:19 AM »
I... I don't even want to complain about this because I love my school and I love my co-teacher, but dammit I need someone to validate my emotions.

I was just "asked" if I could teach two hours of english conversation classes for teachers every Friday afternoon. Two 50-minute periods, I get paid extra, yada yada yada.

I really don't mind. Really, I don't. The extra money will actually come in handy.

But I hate being "asked" to do something when everyone else already knows about it and has signed up for it. How could I say no even if I wanted to?

Also, that makes 8 classes in a row on Fridays.... RIP my vocal cords....

Yeah, I love being given the illusion of choice.  :rolleyes: Usually I give my opinion/preference once prompted and then, after lots of "Is it ok?", I'm told how it actually has to be. Such a ridiculous waste of time.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #947 on: September 09, 2016, 11:02:06 AM »
The fire alarm just went off but since it wasn't scheduled all the teachers were staring at each other in disbelief and kept saying "진짜?"  They didn't know whether to go outside or not. A voice came over the intercom which I assumed was telling us to evacuate. We go into the hall and all the little 3rd graders are calmly putting their backpacks away, and a 6th grader is  handing out the day's announcements like nothing is happening. We had to shepherd them outside and stop all the kids who are just arriving at school from coming inside. The alarm is going off this whole time.

I don't know why the alarm went off  but hopefully this school never has a real emergency because they have no idea what to do if every little detail isn't planned.               

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #948 on: September 09, 2016, 11:36:37 AM »
Haha, nice try. The rant is: many, many people in the world are overly confident and think they know everything, when in fact they are woefully ignorant. That extends to waygook.org as well. Tons of vapid fools (Obama haters, etc.) who don't know what they're talking about...but think they do.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell

So, you do know who World Traveler is?

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #949 on: September 09, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »
in the school i work in for my ASP job, the school calendar only goes until november. NOVEMBER. of course, asking why this is, and asking how i can find out the winter holiday dates was met with, "nobody knows". i still can't, even after so many years in korea, understand how it's apparently acceptable for businesses/school/****** everything to be so completely incompetant and unorganised

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #950 on: September 09, 2016, 01:21:03 PM »
My school was under construction during summer break, and was supposed to be finished by the time school started.

We're two weeks into the semester and it's still not finished, and doesn't look like it'll be finished particularly soon. Somehow it seems like the closer they get to finishing the slower they work.

Every week it's the same story "Oh yes, next week construction will be finished."

I'm stuck in construction hell forever.

Offline west coast tatterdemalion

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #951 on: September 09, 2016, 01:25:33 PM »

First, Steelrails and now, ladies and gentlemen, we have World Traveler. I understand. I mean since eslcafe banned conversation, there has to be somewhere to go, right?

Yep, that's him. Now that Dave's has gone down the tubes, they've migrated over here. This guy is just flat out weird..he posts about how the economy back in the US is so good(even though many people on here aren't from the US) and that teachers here simply don't make enough. He actually thinks people are going to go, " Damn, that Life Improvement guy is right. I'll drop my easy no stress gig and go back to the US because the government(corrupt as ****) says that the unemployment figure is so low". Said nobody ever. My guess is that he stayed in Korea for years, went back home and is either unemployed or working some shit office job.  And probably lives back home with mommy. Sucks to be you, Life Improvement. PS Obama sucks donkey ass.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:27:53 PM by west coast tatterdemalion »

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #952 on: September 09, 2016, 01:26:30 PM »
My rant: I have nothing to do during my deskwarming today, and there aren't alot of interesting new threads to read here. :(
It looked like it was going to rain this morning, so I left my Japanese books at home, after getting to my travel school, the sun comes out and it starts getting warm.

I've mentioned either: earlier, or on another thread about why I probably won't learn Korean anymore. I might try learn the Korean word for 'yes' though, I learnt 'okay' this morning (from my students) - this is so I can start doing the Korean thing of saying "Yes, ok-ok" in Korean back to them haha.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #953 on: September 09, 2016, 01:29:09 PM »
Are you ****** kidding me.  In addition to summer and winter English camps that everyone has to do, *I* suffered through having to do a spring camp in May, and just found out I have to do fall camp in September and October.  I get paid extra, but Jesus Christ whose ****** idea is this shit.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #954 on: September 09, 2016, 01:42:09 PM »
Man I knew I should've kept my goddamn mouth shut about Chuseok plans. Although my school is giving us the entire week (woo!), apparently since I'm leaving the country, two of those days will be deducted from my winter vacation (boo/uh, what?).

I'm very angry with myself for being transparent about this. From now on, every vacation will be taken to the DMZ as far as anyone is concerned.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #955 on: September 09, 2016, 01:43:11 PM »
Are you ****** kidding me.  In addition to summer and winter English camps that everyone has to do, *I* suffered through having to do a spring camp in May, and just found out I have to do fall camp in September and October.  I get paid extra, but Jesus Christ whose ****** idea is this shit.

If it's extra, don't you have to agree to it? wouldn't it be considered overtime? or is it in place of your normal lessons?

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #956 on: September 09, 2016, 01:51:37 PM »

If it's extra, don't you have to agree to it? wouldn't it be considered overtime? or is it in place of your normal lessons?

It's extra and it is overtime.  It's 4:50 - 6:20.  I wasn't asked, I was told.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #957 on: September 09, 2016, 01:54:18 PM »

Yep, that's him. Now that Dave's has gone down the tubes, they've migrated over here. This guy is just flat out weird..he posts about how the economy back in the US is so good(even though many people on here aren't from the US) and that teachers here simply don't make enough. He actually thinks people are going to go, " Damn, that Life Improvement guy is right. I'll drop my easy no stress gig and go back to the US because the government(corrupt as ****) says that the unemployment figure is so low". Said nobody ever. My guess is that he stayed in Korea for years, went back home and is either unemployed or working some shit office job.  And probably lives back home with mommy. Sucks to be you, Life Improvement. PS Obama sucks donkey ass.

The long post about how good the economy is in the states tipped me off.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #958 on: September 09, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »

I'm pretty sure she has the right to refuse, but a lot of schools will have you believe otherwise. They make it difficult to say "no" and then throw a tantrum when you do it anyway, so a lot of teachers just go with it to maintain a good working relationship with the school.

My secondary school tried to pull that crap on me last year but my main school's coT got involved and he wouldn't let them do it. They argued for two days over it, got really heated -- my coT even hung up on them once.

I was lucky that I had such an awesome (and senior) coT.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #959 on: September 09, 2016, 03:03:18 PM »

It's extra and it is overtime.  It's 4:50 - 6:20.  I wasn't asked, I was told.

Then in the contract, you should be able to turn it down right? I'm pretty sure in mine it says - overtime has to be agreed to by both parties.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment