September 20, 2017, 12:38:44 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 481862 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #920 on: September 08, 2016, 05:56:27 PM »
You should just start generalsing everything at school.

"The vegetables and grains we had for lunch were amazing."

"Can you pass me some stationery?"

"Wow, beverages are refreshing!"

"Who wants to answer the question? Yes, boy? Oh, you don't know? Okay, girl?"

I'm going to try this, except I'm going to call every fruit and vegetable "kimchi".

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #921 on: September 08, 2016, 05:58:09 PM »
Firstly, Zola is a godamn man. She? Come on.
Apologies! Genders are so complicated.
Is it okay if I just refer to you as 'bread'?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 06:12:28 PM by kyndo »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #922 on: September 08, 2016, 06:00:36 PM »
I'm really frustrated that all of the sudden none of the alphabet links in the bomb games are working. Every time I download one of the bomb games the alphabet letters don't link out. The letters JUST disappear. I suspect it's this new Korean version of powerpoint....UGH! :evil:

One hundred percent. I had a story with a choose your own adventure path in it and it was making no sense today.

Okay kids, how do you impress the princess? A) Play her some music B) Fight a monster C) Give her flowers

Music! Music!

Okay, here we go. Music it is!

So I click the PPT (Sorry, 한쇼) link for music and the next slide is a picture of a massive dragon on a castle, surrounded by fire. "You have encountered the dragon, do you run or do you fight?"

THE FACK?

I know that Gyeonggi-do has deleted Microsoft Office, but it's still installed on my computers with the functions for PPT limited to viewing only. Even the standalone MS PPT Viewer app isn't perfect sometimes, but if you can find the original "stripped down" version of the program, it's ace.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #923 on: September 08, 2016, 06:01:35 PM »

She very earnestly went on to explain that the Korean use of the word "bread" extends only to bread-like food such as croissants, pastries, bagels, sandwiches etc. Cakes, pies, and cookies are excluded, as are any breakfast cereals and porridges. The claim that fruits and vegetables (such as tomatoes) are considered to be bread genuinely flabbergasted her. Flabbergasted.

Someone should tell that to one of my CoTs. Here's an exchange we had one morning:

CoT: Mr. Tim, have some bread.
M: *looks at it* Oh, I think that's cake.
CoT: In Korea we call this bread.
Me: It says "cake" right there on the package. In korean.
Me: K.

If it looks like cake, spelled as cake then it's definitely bread.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #924 on: September 08, 2016, 06:04:08 PM »
Someone should tell that to one of my CoTs. Here's an exchange we had one morning:

I low-key feel like my students and co-teachers might be relieved if I did that.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #925 on: September 08, 2016, 06:10:32 PM »
It took a while for me to explain what I was asking to my coteacher, but she's seconded the anything-sold-at-a-bakery-is-bread position. Except cookies. And vegetables of any variety are definitely not bread.

She was surprised when I said that if you asked an American "do you want some bread?" and then handed them a croissant that they would be a bit confused.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #926 on: September 08, 2016, 06:16:31 PM »

I've had coteachers who do this... :rolleyes:

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #927 on: September 08, 2016, 06:22:38 PM »

To be fair, I don't know any of my students' names.  I either call random numbers if I want participation or just don't call them anything.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #928 on: September 08, 2016, 06:22:48 PM »

I low-key feel like my students and co-teachers might be relieved if I did that.

I started doing this at the start of this year. (Not as extreme as the examples given obviously.)

It makes every ones life easier. The kids don't care and the CTs don't want to be bothered.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #929 on: September 08, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »
I have too much #swag #bread.

Offline waywardtimelord

• Adventurer
« Reply #930 on: September 08, 2016, 06:28:16 PM »
I... I don't even want to complain about this because I love my school and I love my co-teacher, but dammit I need someone to validate my emotions.

I was just "asked" if I could teach two hours of english conversation classes for teachers every Friday afternoon. Two 50-minute periods, I get paid extra, yada yada yada.

I really don't mind. Really, I don't. The extra money will actually come in handy.

But I hate being "asked" to do something when everyone else already knows about it and has signed up for it. How could I say no even if I wanted to?

Also, that makes 8 classes in a row on Fridays.... RIP my vocal cords....

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #931 on: September 08, 2016, 06:35:48 PM »
I'm really frustrated that all of the sudden none of the alphabet links in the bomb games are working. Every time I download one of the bomb games the alphabet letters don't link out. The letters JUST disappear. I suspect it's this new Korean version of powerpoint....UGH! :evil:

One hundred percent. I had a story with a choose your own adventure path in it and it was making no sense today.

Okay kids, how do you impress the princess? A) Play her some music B) Fight a monster C) Give her flowers

Music! Music!

Okay, here we go. Music it is!

So I click the PPT (Sorry, 한쇼) link for music and the next slide is a picture of a massive dragon on a castle, surrounded by fire. "You have encountered the dragon, do you run or do you fight?"

THE FACK?

I know that Gyeonggi-do has deleted Microsoft Office, but it's still installed on my computers with the functions for PPT limited to viewing only. Even the standalone MS PPT Viewer app isn't perfect sometimes, but if you can find the original "stripped down" version of the program, it's ace.

Haha I just started to imagine the mass confusion that must have been running through these kids faces as you clicked onto the next slide. Thank you for the laugh haha.

With that said thank you for the tip. I'll go ahead and try to find the bare bones version of office! :)

Gasian

« Reply #932 on: September 08, 2016, 06:42:20 PM »
I have been on a low carb high protein diet and have been feeling great and doing well.... until today and everyone on here keeps talking about bread and cake and more bread and cakebread and breadcake and hot cake and now I am absolutely ravenous (but only for carbs) so now I will have to stop at Paris Baguette and buy ALL the bread. ALL. THE. BREAD.

I blame you all!!!

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #933 on: September 08, 2016, 06:48:26 PM »
I have been on a low carb high protein diet and have been feeling great and doing well.... until today and everyone on here keeps talking about bread and cake and more bread and cakebread and breadcake and hot cake and now I am absolutely ravenous (but only for carbs) so now I will have to stop at Paris Baguette and buy ALL the bread. ALL. THE. BREAD.

I blame you all!!!

When you say you will be buying all the bread, what exactly do you mean by "bread"?

Gasian

« Reply #934 on: September 08, 2016, 06:52:02 PM »

I blame you all!!!

When you say you will be buying all the bread, what exactly do you mean by "bread"?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I mean bread (real bread) (loaves of bread) and cake (which isn't bread) but they call it bread.  :huh: :huh:

:cry: :cry:I don't know what anyone means by "bread" anymore.  :cry: :cry: I just don't know.

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #935 on: September 08, 2016, 06:52:48 PM »

I blame you all!!!

Buying all the bread at Paris Baguette?

That's my usual Sunday morning errand

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #936 on: September 08, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »

I blame you all!!!

Buying all the bread at Paris Baguette?

That's my usual Sunday morning errand

I'm not sure if you're purposely trying to misquote me for humor or if you don't know how to quote properly, but either way, it's not entirely wrong. :laugh: I actually do go to PB quite often, but I'm Korean-American, so it's not like I would be perpetuating any western stereotypes (visually, anyway).

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #937 on: September 08, 2016, 06:56:56 PM »

I blame you all!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I mean bread (real bread) (loaves of bread) and cake (which isn't bread) but they call it bread.  :huh: :huh:

:cry: :cry:I don't know what anyone means by "bread" anymore.  :cry: :cry: I just don't know.

:laugh: When I refer to them in English I usually say "bread and pastries" but if I am speaking in Korean I just use the blanket term.

Offline west coast tatterdemalion

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #938 on: September 08, 2016, 10:42:29 PM »
I... I don't even want to complain about this because I love my school and I love my co-teacher, but dammit I need someone to validate my emotions.

I was just "asked" if I could teach two hours of english conversation classes for teachers every Friday afternoon. Two 50-minute periods, I get paid extra, yada yada yada.

I really don't mind. Really, I don't. The extra money will actually come in handy.

But I hate being "asked" to do something when everyone else already knows about it and has signed up for it. How could I say no even if I wanted to?

Also, that makes 8 classes in a row on Fridays.... RIP my vocal cords....

8 classes on Friday? Damn, I don't think I've ever done 8 classes in one day in all my years in Korea. But I have done 7 classes/day before. My policy is...if they jam me with that many classes, I'm going to find ways to slack as much as possible to save my vocal cords. So I ended up doing tons of projects, word searches, games,etc. to help relieve the high number of classes. It works.

Offline Jeter2

• Veteran
« Reply #939 on: September 08, 2016, 11:16:35 PM »
I do 8 classes three times a week. FML!

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment