September 20, 2017, 12:31:05 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 481848 times)

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #880 on: September 08, 2016, 02:32:53 AM »
I had a ham egg sandwich for breakfast this morning. I made a peanut butter sandwich for lunch because I didn't feel like going to the cafeteria. I'm eating another one right now because the first one wasn't enough. I'll probably go out to Paris Baguette tonight for one of their hot sandwiches if my wife tells me she'll be late and I should eat alone. :undecided:

so... it's your fault  >:(

What is his fault?

Clearly the stereotype about Westerners' love of bread started when a KT spotted Donovan's frequent trips to the bakery.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #881 on: September 08, 2016, 10:50:08 AM »
I had a ham egg sandwich for breakfast this morning. I made a peanut butter sandwich for lunch because I didn't feel like going to the cafeteria. I'm eating another one right now because the first one wasn't enough. I'll probably go out to Paris Baguette tonight for one of their hot sandwiches if my wife tells me she'll be late and I should eat alone. :undecided:

What is his fault?

Clearly the stereotype about Westerners' love of bread started when a KT spotted Donovan's frequent trips to the bakery.

No, the stereotype existed long before my arrival (perhaps when my grandpaps landed here via higgins boat for the battle of Inchon nearly 66 years ago to the day, his ammunition pack and flak jacket emptied of all metals in order to make room for the smuggled Spam that he knew he would need to make it through this uncertain journey.) I am just the victim struck with Stockholm Syndrome, feeding into the stale prejudices that are thrust upon me.  I never really ate like this back home.  :sad:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:54:29 AM by donovan »

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #882 on: September 08, 2016, 11:02:19 AM »

What is his fault?

No, the stereotype existed long before my arrival (perhaps when my grandpaps landed here via higgins boat for the battle of Inchon nearly 66 years ago to the day, his ammunition pack and flak jacket emptied of all metals in order to make room for the smuggled Spam that he knew he would need to make it through this uncertain journey.) I am just the victim struck with Stockholm Syndrome, feeding into the stale prejudices that are thrust upon me.  I never really ate like this back home.  :sad:

:laugh:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #883 on: September 08, 2016, 11:30:49 AM »
found myself referring to pound/sponge cake as "bread" this morning and thought of you all

I'm turning Korean

(Sidenote: last night out to dinner with some new people, I kept asking them what various vegetables were called in Korean. They were so surprised I even was familiar with them they kept saying "wow you're really Korean!" and after I said my favorite alcohol is makgeolli they were basically like "yep you're a Korean in a foreigner suit" hah)

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #884 on: September 08, 2016, 12:04:14 PM »
I gotta say the whole bread thing pisses me off too.

I once went to Busan with my Co teacher and we visited her husbands parents house and stayed there for the night. The next morning as we leave I got handed the biggest bag of assorted types of bread you have ever seen from her parents in law. I mean it was a nice gesture and everything but jesus I don't know what they expected me to do with it all and I had to carry it around all flipping day haha! I never even ate any of it, although bread is so god damn delicous I try to stay healthy.

I was just thinking do they actually think I just sit and eat bread all the time LOL? I might reuturn the favour and send them a 20kg bag of rice

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #885 on: September 08, 2016, 12:21:37 PM »
I gotta say the whole bread thing pisses me off too.

I once went to Busan with my Co teacher and we visited her husbands parents house and stayed there for the night. The next morning as we leave I got handed the biggest bag of assorted types of bread you have ever seen from her parents in law. I mean it was a nice gesture and everything but jesus I don't know what they expected me to do with it all and I had to carry it around all flipping day haha! I never even ate any of it, although bread is so god damn delicous I try to stay healthy.

I was just thinking do they actually think I just sit and eat bread all the time LOL? I might reuturn the favour and send them a 20kg bag of rice

I don't always like receiving bread (I appreciate the gesture, obviously) but coffee is always welcome as long as it's not that Maxim mixed crap. I don't typically get given bread though since I'm not foreign-looking, but (and I'm sure many of you here can relate to this) I'm so sick of receiving those stupid rice cakes. Everyone prepare for the incoming rice cakes for Chuseok!! Seriously, I never know what to do with them and they just end up hardening on my desk. It's not even good with coffee.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #886 on: September 08, 2016, 12:25:58 PM »
They consider cereal "bread", too. So I wonder if they think anything made with wheat flour is bread.

Would pasta fall in with that?

No, I think that gets its own special category.

Anyway, if Koreans give you a lot of something that everyone knows you cannot possibly eat all on your own, it's because they're expecting you to share it with friends/family.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #887 on: September 08, 2016, 12:35:53 PM »
Ugh so tomorrow my school is having a parent-teacher conference thing and apparently they need my classroom as well so I'll have to awkwardly be in a different classroom. At least I got some notice, I guess. I'll just have to go classroom hunting after lunch today.

They consider cereal "bread", too. So I wonder if they think anything made with wheat flour is bread.

Anyway, if Koreans give you a lot of something that everyone knows you cannot possibly eat all on your own, it's because they're expecting you to share it with friends/family.

No they don't...? At least in my experience I've never met a Korean who considered cereal to be bread.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #888 on: September 08, 2016, 12:47:23 PM »
Ugh so tomorrow my school is having a parent-teacher conference thing and apparently they need my classroom as well so I'll have to awkwardly be in a different classroom. At least I got some notice, I guess. I'll just have to go classroom hunting after lunch today.

No they don't...? At least in my experience I've never met a Korean who considered cereal to be bread.

They don't consider ceral to be bread. I think the mix-up there comes from the fact that they refer to cereal crops as cereal. So for example, rye is a cereal.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #889 on: September 08, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
Who knew my 1st grade co-teacher would be even more useless than the one she replaced? The one who, while nice about it, always had to leave class half an hour early to write some sort of "urgent email."

The new one waltzes in 10 minutes late on the regular and spends the rest of the time presumably catching up on her own work in the back. I wish she wouldn't show up at all because it puts me in an even fouler mood than I would be otherwise having to deal with obnoxious first graders.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #890 on: September 08, 2016, 12:53:02 PM »
Koreans consider potatoes bread too :shocked: I was at some house with some people and one of them said "hey do you want some bread?" and he served my delicious potatoes. Interesting for me. Most don't know this. Also my co-teacher said they consider tomatoes and grapes to be bread. Kinda wacky. But it's their culture and I must respect it. :lipsrsealed:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #891 on: September 08, 2016, 12:53:24 PM »

They don't consider ceral to be bread. I think the mix-up there comes from the fact that they refer to cereal crops as cereal. So for example, rye is a cereal.

You're going to have to educate me by what you mean (I mean this in the most non-sarcastic way possible). I just googled it but I'm still kind of confused. So for your example, wouldn't they only consider it to be bread if it was rye bread?? They don't call the crop a bread... And they don't consider cereal to be bread, so if the crop is considered cereal then it's not considerd bread unless it's been turned into bread in which case it's the end product that's called bread...lol I don't make any sense.

Edit: All this talk of bread is making me hungry. I really need to start waking up earlier and eating breakfast...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:56:28 PM by yirgacheffe »

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #892 on: September 08, 2016, 12:56:28 PM »
Maybe it's an area thing, but they definitely consider breakfast cereal bread where I live.

CoT: What did you have for breakfast?
Me: Cereal.
CoT: Bread?
Me: No, cereal. This: *shows them a picture of a box of cereal*
CoT: Yes, bread. *turns to wife and says in Korean: "She had bread for breakfast."*

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #893 on: September 08, 2016, 12:57:27 PM »
So there is a Chuseok lunch that the teachers at my school are going to that I was never invited to. I didn't know about it until one of the admin secretaries accidentally came up to me to inform me off the time change, then awkwardly giggled and scurried off when she found out I didn't know about it.

Who knew my 1st grade co-teacher would be even more useless than the one she replaced? The one who, while nice about it, always had to leave class half an hour early to write some sort of "urgent email."

The new one waltzes in 10 minutes late on the regular and spends the rest of the time presumably catching up on her own work in the back. I wish she wouldn't show up at all because it puts me in an even fouler mood than I would be otherwise having to deal with obnoxious first graders.
Thats what all of my CoTs did last year. One came late, one left early, and one stayed the whole time, but they all did their own work the whole time.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #894 on: September 08, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
I just asked my Korean friend. This is the break down:

Anything grown from the earth is considered bread.

Except things that have a certain shape e.g a lettuce leaf

Chilies are bread , he said "spicy bread".

Offline goseumdochi

• Adventurer
« Reply #895 on: September 08, 2016, 01:11:56 PM »
haha this whole bread thing made me realize why my fiance's mom always brought out an entire table of baked goods for breakfast whenever i had to stay at her place.
i guess she thought i typically ate like that in the morning.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #896 on: September 08, 2016, 01:18:58 PM »
So frustrated.  Spent a bit working on a powerpoint, tried to open it from my flashdrive again and got an error message in Korean.  I originally was just going to make it again rather than ask my coteacher to help since she's useless and I try to minimize interactions with her, but I decided to ask anyway.  She said, "I think error.  Best to turn off the computer and turn on again."  Yeah, I realize there's a ****** error, and turning my computer off isn't going to fix it.  So I did it anyway and yeah, here I am remaking my powerpoint.

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #897 on: September 08, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »
So there is a Chuseok lunch that the teachers at my school are going to that I was never invited to. I didn't know about it until one of the admin secretaries accidentally came up to me to inform me off the time change, then awkwardly giggled and scurried off when she found out I didn't know about it.

Thats what all of my CoTs did last year. One came late, one left early, and one stayed the whole time, but they all did their own work the whole time.

Would you mind not going to this lunch?

I asked to be excluded from all future 회식 at my school because I feel super excluded from every conversation at the dinners. I can usually handle this at lunch and sometimes the other teachers and admins make an attempt to speak to me in English. However, at 회식 i feel super left out. I dont expect them to cater to me and I know that these events are super informal. The teachers feel relaxed and just unwind drink and have casual conversations in Korean. I hate just sitting there eating and not speaking to anyone other than my coteacher who hates being there and just stares at the clock the entire time.

I may appear rude but I think at some level the other teachers and administrators understand my reasons why.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #898 on: September 08, 2016, 01:29:13 PM »
And some kid is being punished for something and his punishment is to stand behind my desk and look over my shoulder I guess.  Not sure why I'm also being punished.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #899 on: September 08, 2016, 01:40:30 PM »

Would you mind not going to this lunch?

I asked to be excluded from all future 회식 at my school because I feel super excluded from every conversation at the dinners. I can usually handle this at lunch and sometimes the other teachers and admins make an attempt to speak to me in English. However, at 회식 i feel super left out. I dont expect them to cater to me and I know that these events are super informal. The teachers feel relaxed and just unwind drink and have casual conversations in Korean. I hate just sitting there eating and not speaking to anyone other than my coteacher who hates being there and just stares at the clock the entire time.

I may appear rude but I think at some level the other teachers and administrators understand my reasons why.
I don't mind too much honestly, because last year when we had the end of the year dinner it was the same old awkward no one talks to me thing like what you said. However, I never did ask to be excluded, so the fact that they just automatically excluded me is what makes me... not sad and not mad, but something. Haha. I know its dumb, since I don't really even want to go and I have Chuseok plans, its just the intentional leaving out.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment