November 24, 2017, 03:26:22 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 571369 times)

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #840 on: September 07, 2016, 02:29:32 PM »
Why do people here think westerners sit around eating bread as meals?

You probably already know or don't want an answer, but rice in Asia is a ten thousand year old staple that is still eaten with nearly every meal and Asians typically imagine that the rest of the world is the same. Over the millennia, while the west diversified from a grain based diet, Asia stuck with the rice. Arguably because rice is healthier than either wheat or corn which were once upon a time just as important in Europe and the Americas as rice is here. If only Korea had exercised a little more expansionism or colonialism; maybe they'd have a little more variety in their diet.

That's a really well-researched textbook answer. But have you ever eaten in a Korean household before? While rice is considered a healthy staple here in comparison to flour, I don't think many Korean people eat like this anymore. I find there is actually a great variety within the Korean diet, and rice is treated as a side-dish, not a meal (with the exception of low-income areas). If I ask my coteacher what she eats at home, she's not just gonna say "rice". So it's understandably strange if someone assumes all Western people just eat bread all day.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #841 on: September 07, 2016, 02:32:10 PM »

You probably already know or don't want an answer, but rice in Asia is a ten thousand year old staple that is still eaten with nearly every meal and Asians typically imagine that the rest of the world is the same. Over the millennia, while the west diversified from a grain based diet, Asia stuck with the rice. Arguably because rice is healthier than either wheat or corn which were once upon a time just as important in Europe and the Americas as rice is here. If only Korea had exercised a little more expansionism or colonialism; maybe they'd have a little more variety in their diet.

I mean, I get that. But rice is still often just a part of the main meal. When I ask someone what they ate, they tell me what kind of soup or vegetable dish, or what kind of meat. Rice was there, but they don't say "I had rice for lunch" (unless it's the "밥 먹었어?" phrase) like they assume I sit down and go HAM on a loaf of bread. That's why I thought telling them it was a side dish would make sense, there are a lot of side dishes with Korean meals. But still, even my CT who has lived abroad, asks me if I'm eating bread for lunch...

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #842 on: September 07, 2016, 02:35:13 PM »

That's a really well-researched textbook answer. But have you ever eaten in a Korean household before? While rice is considered a healthy staple here in comparison to flour, I don't think many Korean people eat like this anymore. I find there is actually a great variety within the Korean diet, and rice is treated as a side-dish, not a meal (with the exception of low-income areas). If I ask my coteacher what she eats at home, she's not just gonna say "rice". So it's understandably strange if someone assumes all Western people just eat bread all day.

I always thought they meant...sandwiches, or pastries/pies. Anything that could be purchased from a bakery.

Once I had a Japanese curry Croquette and a jam tart and my co teacher was like "Oh, you really like bread don't you.  :rolleyes:  it's used as an umbrella term.

It's still wrong, and it's annoying they lump it all under the title bread but I don't think most Koreans think we only eat dry slices of bread every night.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:38:45 PM by Jennipennypie »

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #843 on: September 07, 2016, 02:43:49 PM »
@Ajahya @sevenpm Jennipennypie covered it. "Bread" is a vague term in Korea that pretty much means anything you can get at a bakery.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #844 on: September 07, 2016, 02:46:07 PM »

I always thought they meant...sandwiches, or pastries/pies. Anything that could be purchased from a bakery.

Once I had a Japanese curry Croquette and a jam tart and my co teacher was like "Oh, you really like bread don't you.  :rolleyes:  it's used as an umbrella term.

It's still wrong, and it's annoying they lump it all under the title bread but I don't think most Koreans think we only eat dry slices of bread every night.  :laugh:

First of all, seems kind of condescending of y'all to assume we don't know it's a blanket term. But, most of those things are still not meals, they're side-dishes, snacks, or desserts... and most of us wouldn't eat these for multiple meals a day. I'm open to learning about any historical or cultural reason to think we would, though.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #845 on: September 07, 2016, 02:52:13 PM »

Pretty much this. :laugh: They're probably just translating it over from 빵 which pretty much can include sandwiches, subs, paninis, soup in a bread bowl, dinner rolls, burgers (which no one would ever call 빵 but it has bread on it lol) etc. All of these have their own (loan) word as well, but the general term 빵 covers most of it and they learn it as 'bread.' I don't think they realize that bread is a bit more specific than that. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #846 on: September 07, 2016, 02:55:32 PM »
So one of my coTs is married to a teacher at my main school. Her English is very good so I enjoy chatting with her-- today she told me some gossip about the creepo in admin.

Now I know some specific reasons why the other teachers don't like him! The teacher who doubles as nurse noticed the supplies running strangely low. Turns out the admin. creep treats the school medicine like his personal cabinet! And I mean wtf are you doing that you're using so much that it's noticeable by the school nurse??

Another teacher asked for a ride (for a business trip) because all the taxis were busy already-- when they got there admin guy suddenly goes "taxis charge x amount so why don't you give me __" He charged MORE than the taxi drivers do! (flat rate cause we're so rural they don't use meters) Apparently he's sent his daughter off to some expensive private school so he's being a real penny pincher.  :rolleyes:

What a douche nugget!! So even if he weren't a creep, he'd still be a friggin' tool!

On the bright side, glad to know I'm not the only one who dislikes him  :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #847 on: September 07, 2016, 02:57:58 PM »
So one of my coTs is married to a teacher at my main school. Her English is very good so I enjoy chatting with her-- today she told me some gossip about the creepo in admin.

Now I know some specific reasons why the other teachers don't like him! The teacher who doubles as nurse noticed the supplies running strangely low. Turns out the admin. creep treats the school medicine like his personal cabinet! And I mean wtf are you doing that you're using so much that it's noticeable by the school nurse??

Another teacher asked for a ride (for a business trip) because all the taxis were busy already-- when they got there admin guy suddenly goes "taxis charge x amount so why don't you give me __" He charged MORE than the taxi drivers do! (flat rate cause we're so rural they don't use meters) Apparently he's sent his daughter off to some expensive private school so he's being a real penny pincher.  :rolleyes:

What a douche nugget!! So even if he weren't a creep, he'd still be a friggin' tool!

On the bright side, glad to know I'm not the only one who dislikes him  :laugh:

Creeps of his caliber normally double as assholes in other aspects of life. xD It's always good to have this confirmed, though.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #848 on: September 07, 2016, 03:02:46 PM »

First of all, seems kind of condescending of y'all to assume we don't know it's a blanket term. But, most of those things are still not meals, they're side-dishes, snacks, or desserts... and most of us wouldn't eat these for multiple meals a day. I'm open to learning about any historical or cultural reason to think we would, though.

Yeah, I was being facetious with my comment about going ham on a loaf of bread. I know it's a blanket term for baked goods, but we still don't eat those as meals normally, and even when I explain the difference it's like my words are aimed at a brick wall. It's just a weird and inaccurate stereotype. I don't do my grocery shopping at the bakery and I don't know anyone who does.

Then again I did have to explain to a grown man who "loved American culture" that we eat more than JUST turkey on Thanksgiving. He really thought entire families sat around and ate dry ass turkey for hours and nothing. else.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #849 on: September 07, 2016, 03:05:16 PM »

There's no need to be rude when people are just answering your question.

They don't. They think we eat baked goods / Sandwiches / Wheat based things  as meals. Which many of us do.

Do we eat it everyday? No. Do some Korean people think that? Sure. Why? Because it's a stereotype, they don't know any better. Instead of being arsey about it why not kindly tell them you don't.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:11:18 PM by Jennipennypie »

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #850 on: September 07, 2016, 03:12:58 PM »

They don't. They think we eat baked goods as meals. Which many of us do.

Do we eat it everyday? No. Do some Korean people think that? Sure. Why? Because it's a stereotype, they don't know any better. Instead of people arsey about it why not kindly tell them you don't.

If you want to go into the deeper cultural or historical reasons why Koreans might think this then the ranting thread is not the place to do it.
Saying I thought the assumption was condescending isn't rude. I'm letting you know how I felt about it, there's my rant. The original question of why many Korean people think that, that was someone else's rant. Don't tell me not to complain on a thread made for complaining.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #851 on: September 07, 2016, 03:16:28 PM »

They don't. They think we eat baked goods / Sandwiches / Wheat based things  as meals. Which many of us do.

Do we eat it everyday? No. Do some Korean people think that? Sure. Why? Because it's a stereotype, they don't know any better.

If you want to go into the deeper cultural or historical reasons why Koreans might think this then the ranting thread is not the place to do it.

Actually it was not the person you replied to's question, it was mine.

Instead of people arsey about it why not kindly tell them you don't.

I did correct them, and I continue to. But like I said before, they don't listen.

So, thanks for helping me answer my question. It's a stereotype and when corrected or presented with other information, they don't listen. Yep, still gonna vent about it in the venting section if I feel like it. Thanks.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #852 on: September 07, 2016, 03:18:02 PM »

Speak for yourself. I'd eat sandwiches for every single meal if I could.

As for an actual answer to your question: I have no idea why any particular Korean person would think westerners eat nothing but bread. I suspect most of them don't actually think that and that the frequency of the assumption that you're eating 'bread' might have more to do with Koreans being more familiar with it than other western foods. I mean, it'd be pretty freaky if a Korean out of the blue asked if you were having beef stroganoff for dinner.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #853 on: September 07, 2016, 03:18:51 PM »
Saying I thought the assumption was condescending isn't rude. I'm letting you know how I felt about it, there's my rant. The original question of why many Korean people think that, that was someone else's rant. Don't tell me not to complain on a thread made for complaining.

Fair enough, I got confused and didn't properly look at who was the OP. So sorry for that bit.

Anyway my rant: Deleted. CBA.

Waygook is soooo slooooooooooooow    :cry: :cry:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:22:58 PM by Jennipennypie »

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #854 on: September 07, 2016, 03:21:12 PM »

Speak for yourself. I'd eat sandwiches for every single meal if I could.

As for an actual answer to your question: I have no idea why any particular Korean person would think westerners eat nothing but bread. I suspect most of them don't actually think that and that the frequency of the assumption that you're eating 'bread' might have more to do with Koreans being more familiar with it than other western foods. I mean, it'd be pretty freaky if a Korean out of the blue asked if you were having beef stroganoff for dinner.
True dat.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #855 on: September 07, 2016, 03:25:53 PM »
I had a ham egg sandwich for breakfast this morning. I made a peanut butter sandwich for lunch because I didn't feel like going to the cafeteria. I'm eating another one right now because the first one wasn't enough. I'll probably go out to Paris Baguette tonight for one of their hot sandwiches if my wife tells me she'll be late and I should eat alone. :undecided:

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #856 on: September 07, 2016, 03:44:04 PM »
I had a ham egg sandwich for breakfast this morning. I made a peanut butter sandwich for lunch because I didn't feel like going to the cafeteria. I'm eating another one right now because the first one wasn't enough. I'll probably go out to Paris Baguette tonight for one of their hot sandwiches if my wife tells me she'll be late and I should eat alone. :undecided:

so... it's your fault  >:(

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #857 on: September 07, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »

When I eat dinner at my girlfriend's mom's house, there's always rice. When I ask my students what they ate for breakfast, if their parents had time to make breakfast for them, there was always rice. Lots of Koreans, including young, modern Koreans, feel like a meal isn't a meal without rice. Unless they're out eating at a restaurant, or something. Obviously that's different.

Whenever I went to my former coworkers' houses for dinner, there was always rice.

You might not think that many Korean people eat like this anymore, but coming from someone who regularly eats with Korean people, you're kind of wrong. Rice holds a super special place in most people's heart and stomach.
Sorry, I don't think I worded this well. My point wasn't that people don't eat rice, it was that it's not the main part of the dish. It's expected that rice will be there, but if I say what are you having for dinner, and you respond with "rice", that's considered a sarcastic answer, because rice isn't a meal, it's a side. If you're really just having rice, that's odd.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #858 on: September 07, 2016, 09:48:17 PM »

so... it's your fault  >:(

What is his fault?

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #859 on: September 07, 2016, 10:21:11 PM »
One of the new subject teachers came up to me today and started some small chit chat. I was like ok, that's cool, she must want to learn English. After talking for a few minutes, she told me her husband told her she should talk to the foreigner for ten minutes a day...So your only talking to me because your husband told you to, wow.

Also apparently there was a lunch I wasn't invited to where I was the subject of conversation. OK...? :rolleyes:

5 more months...