September 21, 2017, 09:38:25 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 485090 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #840 on: September 07, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »
Apparently it means I don't get to see them at all  >:( >:(

But that might mean I won't see tomorrow's difficult class at all...

Still. This blows. They're usually all excited to see me too  :cry:

Offline Aqvm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #841 on: September 07, 2016, 02:51:06 PM »
Currently steaming about a student who stole from me right in plain sight. Coteacher is saying "I'm sorry for my student's actions" but I don't want to hear her apologize... I want the student to apologize and I want my property back.

I talked to the head discipline teacher and got the same result. How about you do literally anything to punish the student instead of just trying to placate me?

It pisses me off because last year at the same school one student stole some cosmetics out of her teacher's desk and the hell that rained down on that girl was worse than anything I ever saw in Korea.

When I have something stolen from me? "LOL boys will be boys lighten up Aqvm teacher!"

I've basically come to accept that I will never get justice in this situation but it just feels like such a slap in the face.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #842 on: September 07, 2016, 02:57:16 PM »
Currently steaming about a student who stole from me right in plain sight. Coteacher is saying "I'm sorry for my student's actions" but I don't want to hear her apologize... I want the student to apologize and I want my property back.

I talked to the head discipline teacher and got the same result. How about you do literally anything to punish the student instead of just trying to placate me?

It pisses me off because last year at the same school one student stole some cosmetics out of her teacher's desk and the hell that rained down on that girl was worse than anything I ever saw in Korea.

When I have something stolen from me? "LOL boys will be boys lighten up Aqvm teacher!"

I've basically come to accept that I will never get justice in this situation but it just feels like such a slap in the face.

Not that it matters at all but what did they steal? I'm just curious.

Unless it's private.

I'm really shocked they didnt make the student say sorry.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #843 on: September 07, 2016, 03:01:46 PM »

Unless it's private.

If you saw him take it, couldn't you yourself have gotten it back? However, I am also surprised that they didn't make the kid apologize. At one of my previous elementary schools, they made kids apologize to me for a few things, even the little stuff.

Gasian

« Reply #844 on: September 07, 2016, 03:06:26 PM »

Oh this would piss me off so completely. Demand an apology from the student and the return of your property. This is one of those instances where I would insist on things being done my way. In fact, ask them to bring his parents in to apologise to you. *steaming mad for you right now

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #845 on: September 07, 2016, 03:45:19 PM »

Unless it's private.

Me too.

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #846 on: September 07, 2016, 03:55:15 PM »
I understand my coteachers need to admonish or lecture my students about whatever it is they did or didn't do. But today he took up the entire lesson, all 40 minutes, lecturing them about games and minecraft? Those are the only words I understood. I literally just stood there waiting for him to finish when he realized he'd used up all the time and let them go. And BTW, this is not the first time he's used up at least half my class time lecturing a class.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #847 on: September 07, 2016, 03:57:52 PM »
I understand my coteachers need to admonish or lecture my students about whatever it is they did or didn't do. But today he took up the entire lesson, all 40 minutes, lecturing them about games and minecraft? Those are the only words I understood. I literally just stood there waiting for him to finish when he realized he'd used up all the time and let them go. And BTW, this is not the first time he's used up at least half my class time lecturing a class.
Same, only it was about reading gate (online reading program). Fortunately my computer vestibule is on the back of the class so I just hung out here for half the classes today.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #848 on: September 07, 2016, 04:03:50 PM »

Captive audience. Maybe it's more about the performance of the lecture than it is learning/ morality/ whatever. And by 'maybe' I mean 'almost definitely'. I'm sure he felt very important throughout.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #849 on: September 07, 2016, 04:15:09 PM »
Why do people here think westerners sit around eating bread as meals? I'm tired of having to explain that a dinner roll is an addition to a meal sometimes or bread goes on sandwiches. The closest thing I can think of eating bread for a meal would be a muffin or bagel for breakfast, and even then I would consider that an incomplete meal and probably just for someone on the go. Where do they get this sh*t seriously. I've even used pictures before of a meal with a dinner roll on the side to show people what I mean. They don't listen. They still ask me "what do you eat at home? bread?"

?!?!

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #850 on: September 07, 2016, 04:30:33 PM »
Why do people here think westerners sit around eating bread as meals? I'm tired of having to explain that a dinner roll is an addition to a meal sometimes or bread goes on sandwiches. The closest thing I can think of eating bread for a meal would be a muffin or bagel for breakfast, and even then I would consider that an incomplete meal and probably just for someone on the go. Where do they get this sh*t seriously. I've even used pictures before of a meal with a dinner roll on the side to show people what I mean. They don't listen. They still ask me "what do you eat at home? bread?"

?!?!

Like they only eat rice, right?

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #851 on: September 07, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »
Found out some people have 7 days vacation for Chuseok. I'm here stuck with only 5 days... :cry:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #852 on: September 07, 2016, 04:33:16 PM »
Found out some people have 7 days vacation for Chuseok. I'm here stuck with only 5 days... :cry:

I mean. The majority of us are in the 5 day boat, though.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #853 on: September 07, 2016, 04:52:38 PM »

So? Just because the majority of us have 5 days doesn't mean they can't be annoyed about the disparity. I wish I had a week too. :laugh:

My rant: Open class. It's absolutely ridiculous and I don't understand why we're doing it. I know other people have said that their principle just looks in and goes on their way, but at my school all of the other teachers and principle and vice principle will be sitting in there for the entire class, and for an hour afterwards we'll have a discussion about how the class went.

I'm not too nervous for it, just irritated because the entire open class is a lie. My coteacher says we're not supposed to use the textbooks and we can only do fun activities. What is the point? That's not how a normal class is done. It doesn't make any sense at all.

It's still 3 weeks away but my co has been continuously freaking out about it and she is annoying me even more than the pointlessness of it all. All she does is whine that she doesn't have any ideas and stress about the VP and P being there. I'm too busy planning my other classes (I teach twice as many as she does) to care about it right now.

I never think about school on the weekends, but this Saturday I'm just going to plan the whole thing and present it to her on Monday and hopefully that will be that.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #854 on: September 07, 2016, 05:00:21 PM »

So? Just because the majority of us have 5 days doesn't mean they can't be annoyed about the disparity. I wish I had a week too. :laugh:

My rant: Open class. It's absolutely ridiculous and I don't understand why we're doing it. I know other people have said that their principle just looks in and goes on their way, but at my school all of the other teachers and principle and vice principle will be sitting in there for the entire class, and for an hour afterwards we'll have a discussion about how the class went.

I'm not too nervous for it, just irritated because the entire open class is a lie. My coteacher says we're not supposed to use the textbooks and we can only do fun activities. What is the point? That's not how a normal class is done. It doesn't make any sense at all.

It's still 3 weeks away but my co has been continuously freaking out about it and she is annoying me even more than the pointlessness of it all. All she does is whine that she doesn't have any ideas and stress about the VP and P being there. I'm too busy planning my other classes (I teach twice as many as she does) to care about it right now.

I never think about school on the weekends, but this Saturday I'm just going to plan the whole thing and present it to her on Monday and hopefully that will be that.                                                                                                                             
Sorry, I'm not a big emoticon user. I'm bummed about it too.

For the open class lesson I reccommend one of the storybook lessons you can find here on Waygook. My kids really liked The Hungry Caterpillar story and activity, but I dunno how old your kids are.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #855 on: September 07, 2016, 05:02:38 PM »

It's goofy. But it's just one of those things you've got to do.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #856 on: September 07, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
Why do people here think westerners sit around eating bread as meals?

You probably already know or don't want an answer, but rice in Asia is a ten thousand year old staple that is still eaten with nearly every meal and Asians typically imagine that the rest of the world is the same. Over the millennia, while the west diversified from a grain based diet, Asia stuck with the rice. Arguably because rice is healthier than either wheat or corn which were once upon a time just as important in Europe and the Americas as rice is here. If only Korea had exercised a little more expansionism or colonialism; maybe they'd have a little more variety in their diet.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #857 on: September 07, 2016, 05:29:32 PM »

You probably already know or don't want an answer, but rice in Asia is a ten thousand year old staple that is still eaten with nearly every meal and Asians typically imagine that the rest of the world is the same. Over the millennia, while the west diversified from a grain based diet, Asia stuck with the rice. Arguably because rice is healthier than either wheat or corn which were once upon a time just as important in Europe and the Americas as rice is here. If only Korea had exercised a little more expansionism or colonialism; maybe they'd have a little more variety in their diet.

That's a really well-researched textbook answer. But have you ever eaten in a Korean household before? While rice is considered a healthy staple here in comparison to flour, I don't think many Korean people eat like this anymore. I find there is actually a great variety within the Korean diet, and rice is treated as a side-dish, not a meal (with the exception of low-income areas). If I ask my coteacher what she eats at home, she's not just gonna say "rice". So it's understandably strange if someone assumes all Western people just eat bread all day.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #858 on: September 07, 2016, 05:32:10 PM »

I mean, I get that. But rice is still often just a part of the main meal. When I ask someone what they ate, they tell me what kind of soup or vegetable dish, or what kind of meat. Rice was there, but they don't say "I had rice for lunch" (unless it's the "밥 먹었어?" phrase) like they assume I sit down and go HAM on a loaf of bread. That's why I thought telling them it was a side dish would make sense, there are a lot of side dishes with Korean meals. But still, even my CT who has lived abroad, asks me if I'm eating bread for lunch...

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #859 on: September 07, 2016, 05:35:13 PM »

That's a really well-researched textbook answer. But have you ever eaten in a Korean household before? While rice is considered a healthy staple here in comparison to flour, I don't think many Korean people eat like this anymore. I find there is actually a great variety within the Korean diet, and rice is treated as a side-dish, not a meal (with the exception of low-income areas). If I ask my coteacher what she eats at home, she's not just gonna say "rice". So it's understandably strange if someone assumes all Western people just eat bread all day.

I always thought they meant...sandwiches, or pastries/pies. Anything that could be purchased from a bakery.

Once I had a Japanese curry Croquette and a jam tart and my co teacher was like "Oh, you really like bread don't you.  :rolleyes:  it's used as an umbrella term.

It's still wrong, and it's annoying they lump it all under the title bread but I don't think most Koreans think we only eat dry slices of bread every night.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:38:45 PM by Jennipennypie »

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment