December 17, 2017, 02:37:16 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 601156 times)

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #820 on: September 06, 2016, 11:14:53 PM »
STUDENT BEHAVIOR RANT

So my CT decides to leave the classroom about 2 minutes before the next class. Suddenly, I hear a loud BANG and look up to see the usual trouble maker crying and throwing his pencils across the room with his desk knocked over onto the floor. I immediately got up and had to break up a fight between him and another boy while the rest of the students were yelling at them to stop. After breaking up the fight and separating them, I run out into the hallway to see if I can spot my CT, but she's nowhere to be found. Suddenly, a different boy decides to rile up the desk-throwing kid, causing a second fight which I then have to break up. Desk-throwing kid gets hurt from running into his desk, so he lies on the floor, screaming at the top of his lungs and sobbing. Sobbing like, there was a puddle on the floor from his tears. I'm immediately panicking and thinking WTF? while seeing if he's okay. Finally my CT comes in and the students go ahead and tell her what happened. While she goes to console desk-throwing kid, the homeroom teacher appears.....either some student went to go get her or she heard all the screaming from her classroom. She yells at them, the kids calm down, everything goes back to normal.

At the end of the class, my CT decides to give all 3 boys, including desk-throwing kid, a "good behavior" stamp at the end of class as part of the rewards system. I told her I was very shocked and surprised at both the students' behavior and how nothing was done about the situation. She said, "yes, the one boy is a very low level student. He always acts like that, so we can't do anything. We have to understand him."

These are 3rd grade elementary schoolers, by the way.

:undecided:

Welcome to Korea. The land where bad behavior is rewarded and usually guised under the "sneaky smart" moniker. Be prepared to be outraged quite a bit during your year long stint. This is only the beginning.

Well said. In the old days, behavior like this resulted in physical punishment, often brutal. I saw it myself. The kids misbehaved because that's what they do. But they got some severe punishment to get them in line. And it worked. It was the same M.O. they had done for decades. It got them in line. I'm an older guy who grew up in the 80s in the states. At that time, we got paddled...hard. I remember in our cafeteria, there was a stage with steps leading up to it. It was also the performance room. Whenever somebody misbehaved during lunch, and there were many, we were told to sit on those steps. When the principal was ready, they would guide us into his office, where he was told what we did. He would talk to us individually about what we did. Then, we had to assume the position.Then, our parents got a call from the principal to them what happened.  It was organized. But what I saw from teachers here in Korea at that time, it was random assaults on students due to the teacher's emotional outburst. Of course, there was some organized discipline as well. But, it seemed like the teachers could hit any student they wanted whenever they felt like it. Hence, the new law where teachers can't hit students. Then, what was the plan for discipline?  Nada. Zero. It took a complete 180 in favor of no punishment at all. Instead of altering the plan, they just threw it out. Now, we are left with the emotional approach, which is what Korea has used for years amongst adults. Even the police. I'm all in favor of trying to be understanding to somebody in certain situations. In fact, I think that is the better way. But South Korea needs to stop seeing things in black and white, and get a little complex when it comes to discipline.

Edit: I know parents pressure the teachers. They are to blame as well. But, things would be so much easier if parents and teachers could agree on a plan for discipline. What the hell are politicians for?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:34:45 PM by Somebody »

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #821 on: September 07, 2016, 08:31:08 AM »
Okay so I just want to share today's experience:

I love my school and my co-teachers they are amazing and sometimes they can be a bit over the top about looking out for me. Anyway today I felt a little bit under the weather, I'm at my desk and I can't keep my eyes open and so I just close them for a while and put my head in my hands. My co teacher suddenly wakes me up saying she's worried about me and I should take a rest. I said okay il go into my classroom and just rest in there rather than the office. This is where it gets interesting she says why don't you go into the new rest room we have set up. I'm a bit hesitant I would rather go into my own classroom but I thought ah she's being nice il go along with it.

As she was finding the key to the room one of my other co teachers walks past and I explain I'm going in the "rest room" to which he replies "what for the ladies". Me being a lad this already starts to ring alarm bells. Anyway walking towards the building I mention the lady room comment to my co teacher and I said what does he mean. Turns out the room is especially for women teachers who are on their period. At this point I'm already in the room and she's sitting me down in some electric massage sofa machine that the female staff use for relaxation when it's that time of the month, so embarrassing! But it's gets better yet!! The sofa doesn't work for some reason so she rings up the office and a couple staff from the admin office come out to the building to try and get it working whilst probably thinking "what the hell is this guy doing in the lady rest room".

So here I am writing this message here in the massage chair not feeling all too comfy haha!

Omg, why can't my school have a menstruation room.
Yeah, super jealous about that one.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #822 on: September 07, 2016, 10:07:33 AM »
My ct is nuts about having me listen to this listening test that's being broadcast today and answering the questions.  I can't answer 17 out of 20 of them because they're entirely in Korean.  We went through this shit last semester too.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #823 on: September 07, 2016, 10:10:29 AM »
That blasted listening test means I don't get to see my favorite class for very long today  :sad:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #824 on: September 07, 2016, 10:32:24 AM »
Apparently it means I don't get to see them at all  >:( >:(

But that might mean I won't see tomorrow's difficult class at all...

Still. This blows. They're usually all excited to see me too  :cry:

Offline Aqvm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #825 on: September 07, 2016, 11:51:06 AM »
Currently steaming about a student who stole from me right in plain sight. Coteacher is saying "I'm sorry for my student's actions" but I don't want to hear her apologize... I want the student to apologize and I want my property back.

I talked to the head discipline teacher and got the same result. How about you do literally anything to punish the student instead of just trying to placate me?

It pisses me off because last year at the same school one student stole some cosmetics out of her teacher's desk and the hell that rained down on that girl was worse than anything I ever saw in Korea.

When I have something stolen from me? "LOL boys will be boys lighten up Aqvm teacher!"

I've basically come to accept that I will never get justice in this situation but it just feels like such a slap in the face.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #826 on: September 07, 2016, 11:57:16 AM »
Currently steaming about a student who stole from me right in plain sight. Coteacher is saying "I'm sorry for my student's actions" but I don't want to hear her apologize... I want the student to apologize and I want my property back.

I talked to the head discipline teacher and got the same result. How about you do literally anything to punish the student instead of just trying to placate me?

It pisses me off because last year at the same school one student stole some cosmetics out of her teacher's desk and the hell that rained down on that girl was worse than anything I ever saw in Korea.

When I have something stolen from me? "LOL boys will be boys lighten up Aqvm teacher!"

I've basically come to accept that I will never get justice in this situation but it just feels like such a slap in the face.

Not that it matters at all but what did they steal? I'm just curious.

Unless it's private.

I'm really shocked they didnt make the student say sorry.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #827 on: September 07, 2016, 12:01:46 PM »

Unless it's private.

If you saw him take it, couldn't you yourself have gotten it back? However, I am also surprised that they didn't make the kid apologize. At one of my previous elementary schools, they made kids apologize to me for a few things, even the little stuff.

Gasian

« Reply #828 on: September 07, 2016, 12:06:26 PM »

Oh this would piss me off so completely. Demand an apology from the student and the return of your property. This is one of those instances where I would insist on things being done my way. In fact, ask them to bring his parents in to apologise to you. *steaming mad for you right now

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #829 on: September 07, 2016, 12:45:19 PM »

Unless it's private.

Me too.

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #830 on: September 07, 2016, 12:55:15 PM »
I understand my coteachers need to admonish or lecture my students about whatever it is they did or didn't do. But today he took up the entire lesson, all 40 minutes, lecturing them about games and minecraft? Those are the only words I understood. I literally just stood there waiting for him to finish when he realized he'd used up all the time and let them go. And BTW, this is not the first time he's used up at least half my class time lecturing a class.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #831 on: September 07, 2016, 12:57:52 PM »
I understand my coteachers need to admonish or lecture my students about whatever it is they did or didn't do. But today he took up the entire lesson, all 40 minutes, lecturing them about games and minecraft? Those are the only words I understood. I literally just stood there waiting for him to finish when he realized he'd used up all the time and let them go. And BTW, this is not the first time he's used up at least half my class time lecturing a class.
Same, only it was about reading gate (online reading program). Fortunately my computer vestibule is on the back of the class so I just hung out here for half the classes today.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #832 on: September 07, 2016, 01:03:50 PM »

Captive audience. Maybe it's more about the performance of the lecture than it is learning/ morality/ whatever. And by 'maybe' I mean 'almost definitely'. I'm sure he felt very important throughout.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #833 on: September 07, 2016, 01:15:09 PM »
Why do people here think westerners sit around eating bread as meals? I'm tired of having to explain that a dinner roll is an addition to a meal sometimes or bread goes on sandwiches. The closest thing I can think of eating bread for a meal would be a muffin or bagel for breakfast, and even then I would consider that an incomplete meal and probably just for someone on the go. Where do they get this sh*t seriously. I've even used pictures before of a meal with a dinner roll on the side to show people what I mean. They don't listen. They still ask me "what do you eat at home? bread?"

?!?!

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #834 on: September 07, 2016, 01:30:33 PM »
Why do people here think westerners sit around eating bread as meals? I'm tired of having to explain that a dinner roll is an addition to a meal sometimes or bread goes on sandwiches. The closest thing I can think of eating bread for a meal would be a muffin or bagel for breakfast, and even then I would consider that an incomplete meal and probably just for someone on the go. Where do they get this sh*t seriously. I've even used pictures before of a meal with a dinner roll on the side to show people what I mean. They don't listen. They still ask me "what do you eat at home? bread?"

?!?!

Like they only eat rice, right?

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #835 on: September 07, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
Found out some people have 7 days vacation for Chuseok. I'm here stuck with only 5 days... :cry:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #836 on: September 07, 2016, 01:33:16 PM »
Found out some people have 7 days vacation for Chuseok. I'm here stuck with only 5 days... :cry:

I mean. The majority of us are in the 5 day boat, though.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #837 on: September 07, 2016, 01:52:38 PM »

So? Just because the majority of us have 5 days doesn't mean they can't be annoyed about the disparity. I wish I had a week too. :laugh:

My rant: Open class. It's absolutely ridiculous and I don't understand why we're doing it. I know other people have said that their principle just looks in and goes on their way, but at my school all of the other teachers and principle and vice principle will be sitting in there for the entire class, and for an hour afterwards we'll have a discussion about how the class went.

I'm not too nervous for it, just irritated because the entire open class is a lie. My coteacher says we're not supposed to use the textbooks and we can only do fun activities. What is the point? That's not how a normal class is done. It doesn't make any sense at all.

It's still 3 weeks away but my co has been continuously freaking out about it and she is annoying me even more than the pointlessness of it all. All she does is whine that she doesn't have any ideas and stress about the VP and P being there. I'm too busy planning my other classes (I teach twice as many as she does) to care about it right now.

I never think about school on the weekends, but this Saturday I'm just going to plan the whole thing and present it to her on Monday and hopefully that will be that.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #838 on: September 07, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »

So? Just because the majority of us have 5 days doesn't mean they can't be annoyed about the disparity. I wish I had a week too. :laugh:

My rant: Open class. It's absolutely ridiculous and I don't understand why we're doing it. I know other people have said that their principle just looks in and goes on their way, but at my school all of the other teachers and principle and vice principle will be sitting in there for the entire class, and for an hour afterwards we'll have a discussion about how the class went.

I'm not too nervous for it, just irritated because the entire open class is a lie. My coteacher says we're not supposed to use the textbooks and we can only do fun activities. What is the point? That's not how a normal class is done. It doesn't make any sense at all.

It's still 3 weeks away but my co has been continuously freaking out about it and she is annoying me even more than the pointlessness of it all. All she does is whine that she doesn't have any ideas and stress about the VP and P being there. I'm too busy planning my other classes (I teach twice as many as she does) to care about it right now.

I never think about school on the weekends, but this Saturday I'm just going to plan the whole thing and present it to her on Monday and hopefully that will be that.                                                                                                                             
Sorry, I'm not a big emoticon user. I'm bummed about it too.

For the open class lesson I reccommend one of the storybook lessons you can find here on Waygook. My kids really liked The Hungry Caterpillar story and activity, but I dunno how old your kids are.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #839 on: September 07, 2016, 02:09:27 PM »
Why do people here think westerners sit around eating bread as meals?

You probably already know or don't want an answer, but rice in Asia is a ten thousand year old staple that is still eaten with nearly every meal and Asians typically imagine that the rest of the world is the same. Over the millennia, while the west diversified from a grain based diet, Asia stuck with the rice. Arguably because rice is healthier than either wheat or corn which were once upon a time just as important in Europe and the Americas as rice is here. If only Korea had exercised a little more expansionism or colonialism; maybe they'd have a little more variety in their diet.