September 27, 2017, 03:31:01 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 492553 times)

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #760 on: September 05, 2016, 01:22:49 PM »
In so far as sheets and blankets go, they're ridiculously hard to find, and expensive to boot. You might have better luck buying one of those thin mattress cover blankets. Pillows and pillow covers are a bit more
 ubiquitous: many mid/large sized grocery stores will have them tucked way somewhere.

I don't mean to butt in and be like "You're wrong!"  :laugh:  but every supermarket / department store I've been to has sheets and blankets, so it really must depend where you live. They can be expensive though but not too bad. OP just find the biggest store near you and you should find something   :azn:
No worries. :smiley:
And you're right: let me clarify: comforters and covers are pretty easy to find in the bigger places, but actual bed sheets can be trickier.
And yeah, I live in a pretty rural area, so maybe that's it.  :undecided:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #761 on: September 05, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »
In so far as sheets and blankets go, they're ridiculously hard to find, and expensive to boot. You might have better luck buying one of those thin mattress cover blankets. Pillows and pillow covers are a bit more
 ubiquitous: many mid/large sized grocery stores will have them tucked way somewhere.

I don't mean to butt in and be like "You're wrong!"  :laugh:  but every supermarket / department store I've been to has sheets and blankets, so it really must depend where you live. They can be expensive though but not too bad. OP just find the biggest store near you and you should find something   :azn:
No worries. :smiley:
And you're right: let me clarify: comforters and covers are pretty easy to find in the bigger places, but actual bed sheets can be trickier.
And yeah, I live in a pretty rural area, so maybe that's it.  :undecided:
The top bed sheet is pretty easy to find, but I had a hell of a time finding one of those mattress sheets, the fitted sheet, so for a while I just used two top sheets.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #762 on: September 05, 2016, 01:39:17 PM »
The sheets here are scratchy and uncomfortable

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #763 on: September 05, 2016, 01:42:14 PM »
They sell cotton jersey fitted sheets in Emarts. They're expensive, but worth it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #764 on: September 05, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »
Maybe it's partially due to the heat but I think I'm already burnt out on teaching elementary. It's just so, so, repetitive. My coT always makes a point of telling me to save the materials to the computer and to print her copies of the materials and lesson plan-- because I totally haven't been doing that for nearly the past year.   :rolleyes:  :evil: Like, woman! I know! Do you just like to hear yourself talk??

Middle school is a lot more fun, at least.

I normally teach middle, and they had me do a week of elementary.  I was bored out of my damn mind.  You just stand there and watch as the kids tape shit together.  It's so sloooow.

I teach at 2 middles and an elementary. The elementary is my favourite by far. They give me the freedom to do whatever lessons I want, as they just want me for my exposure to a non-American accent. :P

If I could have that freedom, I would probably enjoy elementary a lot more. As it is, I have to make lessons based off the lessons in the books but I'm not allowed to actually use the book at all cause my coT uses the books when she teaches alone (which is fine cause I don't like the books but it means more work).

In what way is middle school more fun? Just curious. I teach 6th grade and have a blast, but when students return for Teacher's Day or whatever other reason and I happen to see them, they almost invariably say they hate middle school. Maybe it's just "something you say" or they're trying to make me feel good by saying their time in my school was superior, but I do get the impression that middle school is when the fun stops and the mind-numbing test prep begins.  Not so for middle school English? At least in the native speaker's class?

In my case I'm given a lot more freedom and although the book lessons are somewhat disjointed, they tend to be more interesting than "This is an apple!" or "I like apples!" Also the students, being older, are able to have more varied conversations than just "I like apples. Do you like apples?" even if their English levels are all over the place. Many of the students like video games so we can somewhat talk about that (though I do have a lot of elementary schoolers who like Minecraft! hahah).

I also like my middle school coTs a lot more. As for all the testing-- I'm hella out in the country and a lot of my kids don't actually care about testing so they don't get stressed out about it. And for the few that do care, they tend to do pretty well anyway. Not too many of my kids go to hagwons since we're so rural, so that's one less thing on the stress list.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #765 on: September 05, 2016, 02:32:20 PM »
They sell cotton jersey fitted sheets in Emarts. They're expensive, but worth it.

IKEA is where most of our sheets come from.  A good balance of low price and acceptable quality.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #766 on: September 05, 2016, 02:34:31 PM »
Maybe it's partially due to the heat but I think I'm already burnt out on teaching elementary. It's just so, so, repetitive. My coT always makes a point of telling me to save the materials to the computer and to print her copies of the materials and lesson plan-- because I totally haven't been doing that for nearly the past year.   :rolleyes:  :evil: Like, woman! I know! Do you just like to hear yourself talk??

Middle school is a lot more fun, at least.

I normally teach middle, and they had me do a week of elementary.  I was bored out of my damn mind.  You just stand there and watch as the kids tape shit together.  It's so sloooow.

I teach at 2 middles and an elementary. The elementary is my favourite by far. They give me the freedom to do whatever lessons I want, as they just want me for my exposure to a non-American accent. :P

If I could have that freedom, I would probably enjoy elementary a lot more. As it is, I have to make lessons based off the lessons in the books but I'm not allowed to actually use the book at all cause my coT uses the books when she teaches alone (which is fine cause I don't like the books but it means more work).

In what way is middle school more fun? Just curious. I teach 6th grade and have a blast, but when students return for Teacher's Day or whatever other reason and I happen to see them, they almost invariably say they hate middle school. Maybe it's just "something you say" or they're trying to make me feel good by saying their time in my school was superior, but I do get the impression that middle school is when the fun stops and the mind-numbing test prep begins.  Not so for middle school English? At least in the native speaker's class?

In my case I'm given a lot more freedom and although the book lessons are somewhat disjointed, they tend to be more interesting than "This is an apple!" or "I like apples!" Also the students, being older, are able to have more varied conversations than just "I like apples. Do you like apples?" even if their English levels are all over the place. Many of the students like video games so we can somewhat talk about that (though I do have a lot of elementary schoolers who like Minecraft! hahah).

I also like my middle school coTs a lot more. As for all the testing-- I'm hella out in the country and a lot of my kids don't actually care about testing so they don't get stressed out about it. And for the few that do care, they tend to do pretty well anyway. Not too many of my kids go to hagwons since we're so rural, so that's one less thing on the stress list.

I forgot to mention, I also only do grade 6. I actually wanted to make lessons based on the book. I'm not really creative enough to constantly think of a new topic every week that is useful and good. However, I have stumbled onto a method I plan to keep using going forward. It still needs a lot of tweaks at the moment though. I'm looking forward to going back to the elementary tomorrow, as the co-teacher there, actually gives me useful criticism to help me improve. :P

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #767 on: September 05, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »
We have always brought new bedding and linens over from the US when needed, since Koreans prefer quilted, low quality, low thread count bedding and linens.

Thankfully, Amazon now offers a much better selection of bedding that is eligible for shipping to Korea, so having to pack them with should be a thing of the past.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #768 on: September 05, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »

IKEA is where most of our sheets come from.  A good balance of low price and acceptable quality.
I didn't even think about Ikea! I did eventually find one some at Homeplus though.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #769 on: September 05, 2016, 03:04:23 PM »
As for all the testing-- I'm hella out in the country and a lot of my kids don't actually care about testing so they don't get stressed out about it. And for the few that do care, they tend to do pretty well anyway. Not too many of my kids go to hagwons since we're so rural, so that's one less thing on the stress list.
In one sense I'm glad students in the rural areas don't wring themselves out over tests or excessive hagwon attendance, but at the same time that's kind of disconcerting.  I wonder what that says about how they feel about their prospects beyond high school. I wonder what that means for their actual prospects out of high school. I wish the society itself were less competitive and offered alternative ways to get ahead, but if that's the only game in town and they're not playing, they've dropped out. Of course it is just middle school and high school might be a different story, but when you have a senior official from the Ministry of Education saying a majority of the population are "dogs and pigs" and calling Korea to "consolidate the class system because people are not all born equal," you have to wonder how much that ethos has pervaded the system as a whole.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #770 on: September 05, 2016, 03:06:35 PM »
I forgot to mention, I also only do grade 6. I actually wanted to make lessons based on the book. I'm not really creative enough to constantly think of a new topic every week that is useful and good. However, I have stumbled onto a method I plan to keep using going forward. It still needs a lot of tweaks at the moment though. I'm looking forward to going back to the elementary tomorrow, as the co-teacher there, actually gives me useful criticism to help me improve. :P

Ahhh see I would like that even more! I have grades 3 - 6 for elementary and then all 3 grades of middle school. I feel spread pretty thin to be honest but I know some teachers even teach high school on top of elem. & middle. I even know of a teacher who taught at 5 schools!  :huh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #771 on: September 05, 2016, 03:10:07 PM »
As for all the testing-- I'm hella out in the country and a lot of my kids don't actually care about testing so they don't get stressed out about it. And for the few that do care, they tend to do pretty well anyway. Not too many of my kids go to hagwons since we're so rural, so that's one less thing on the stress list.
In one sense I'm glad students in the rural areas don't wring themselves out over tests or excessive hagwon attendance, but at the same time that's kind of disconcerting.  I wonder what that says about how they feel about their prospects beyond high school. I wonder what that means for their actual prospects out of high school. I wish the society itself were less competitive and offered alternative ways to get ahead, but if that's the only game in town and they're not playing, they've dropped out. Of course it is just middle school and high school might be a different story, but when you have a senior official from the Ministry of Education saying a majority of the population are "dogs and pigs" and calling Korea to "consolidate the class system because people are not all born equal," you have to wonder how much that ethos has pervaded the system as a whole.

Right? I'm happy they're enjoying more time to be just kids but at the same time... those points you mention. In spite of that, I find I don't worry about most of them. I feel like most of them will be okay.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #772 on: September 05, 2016, 03:10:58 PM »

I didn't even think about Ikea! I did eventually find one some at Homeplus though.

Guys, Rant! Vent! Tell me what you really think about bedsheets and comforters.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #773 on: September 05, 2016, 03:13:06 PM »

ahahha, that's what I was thinking. It's turning into a bedding chat. It's a ranting thread, not a thread count thread.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #774 on: September 05, 2016, 03:16:30 PM »

ahahha, that's what I was thinking. It's turning into a bedding chat. It's a ranting thread, not a thread count thread.

Re-read my post.  "Acceptable" was meant as faint praise.  :laugh:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #775 on: September 05, 2016, 03:19:21 PM »
Not a rant or a vent, but its not about sheets either.

I feel like all my friends are leaving. I guess I have hit that point where people go. In the last year, 7 of my friends have left, and by next semester, 4 more will leave. I'm starting to get really bummed out.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #776 on: September 05, 2016, 03:23:12 PM »

I feel like all my friends are leaving. I guess I have hit that point where people go. In the last year, 7 of my friends have left, and by next semester, 4 more will leave. I'm starting to get really bummed out.

That's better, HaLo. That's more rant-like.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #777 on: September 05, 2016, 03:31:19 PM »

It sucks to watch your friends go, but it's an opportunity to make new friends. I don't know about you, but I didn't come all the way to Korea to hang with the same people for the rest of my life.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #778 on: September 05, 2016, 03:32:59 PM »

My orientation was tiny and I think only half are renewing. I might know like 7 teachers next year, lol.

Offline kimchi_mandu

• Veteran
« Reply #779 on: September 05, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »

It sucks to watch your friends go, but it's an opportunity to make new friends. I don't know about you, but I didn't come all the way to Korea to hang with the same people for the rest of my life.

It does become exhausting after a few years though, constantly saying goodbye to people you've made real bonds with. I personally like to have few, really close friends, than loads of people I don't know so well. I've always been like that though.

Anyways I feel you Halo3, my closest friend here had to suddenly leave and I'm feeling a bit lost now. Guess it's time to go out and find new people...again.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment