October 17, 2017, 04:49:52 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 518844 times)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7580 on: September 21, 2017, 05:48:59 PM »
Coupang, y'all.  Coupang. 

Lol I've never even been to a Costco in Korea.  Nearest one is 5 hours away (unless the plans to build one in a nearer city came to fruition, in which case... 3 hours away).  I remember being happy about online shopping for certain items and fools would jump in with "Why don't you just go to Costco?" as if they're just everywhere.  Not everyone lives in Seoul nor even a city  :undecided:

Nearest E/Lotte/Mart is around 2 hours away. 

Regardless, life is still good. 

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #7581 on: September 21, 2017, 05:51:12 PM »
I went to buy goats milk, and the Lotte employee tells me "We don't have goat's milk."

I'm like "No, you have goats milk."

She replies, "No, sorry.  We don't."

I continue my search and headed for the "expensive" section, called "organic", though it is NOT, and THERE on the shelf in the refrigerated section was milk and yogurt from...goats!!!

I grab some goat's milk and some yogurt and swing by the Lotte employee to show her what I found.

My point, just because one thinks something doesn't "exist" doesn't make it true.

Look around.

Depending on where you live.  I am pretty sure that most human beings are able to do just as you have suggested and discover that in fact sometimes when it isn't available it actually just isn't available. I live in a town with a home plus. A very tiny home plus, pretty much the same size as a normal towns GS25. That is it folks. People cry - COSTCO- Foreign market. Okay, what if we live in rural nowhere and the nearest "real town" is about an hour away. Costco the closest one to me is 2 and a half hours away on a bus.

I am not trying to say it is impossible to get, of course it's possible. I am just saying not readily available to all of us.

I can't just get a hankering for hummus at 10 pm at night and pop out to my Home Plus foreign food aisle for chickpeas, we don't have a foreign food aisle.  I have to plan and order from gmarket, keep a stock handy. If a recipe suddenly calls for chickpeas, oh darn-it-all forgot to stock up on those, let me pop out to the_______ :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:

The point I am trying to make is that just because something is readily available for some does not mean it is readily available for everyone. Just be mindful of that.

Waygook.org user What?What? - you're a smart and independent person who rarely complains and I think you're cool and good. And living somewhere rural is probably really annoying.

But all the people crying, "COSTCO! FOREIGN FOOD MARKET! LOTTE MART! EMART! WHEREVER!!!" are like, ignoring the fact that Gmarket is literally better than all of those unless you live like a two minute walk away.. Why pay more for something that you have to go collect and carry? It's goofy.

Y'all want chickpeas? Let me hit y'all with the good chickpeas.

Want dry chickpeas? HOT DANG 1kg dry chickpeas for 2900 plus 3000 (combinable Smart Shipping).

Want chickpeas encased in literal metal? Four cans of literal canned chickpeas for 9,200 with free shipping oh my golly!!!

Also, to clarify, I'm not saying you're a dummy or nothing for not using this. But sometimes I don't think people realize that online shopping is literally better than going to a store in 90% of cases. (Clothes being an exception - ugh never buy clothes online)

I will agree with you on the fact you can get almost anything online. My original comment came from just seeing a video and wanted to make the food in the near future (aka today or tomorrow ) and expressing that it could not be done. As this is the ... ranting thread!

I should look up a big order and get some stuff for my doomsday prep ;) jk. But seriously, living on an island sometimes the shipping doubles the price and makes it less affordable (even when free shipping was stated).

And to Pecan... Guess what stores have not had avocados the last few weeks? Lotte and EMart. But I must be lying because your eFart and Lotte have them right?

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7582 on: September 21, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »
The Lotte store you mentioned sounds like an 'express" and not an actual Lotte Mart.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you are confusing the type of Lotte store.

The mart sells them, the express does not...never has.

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7583 on: September 21, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »

I will agree with you on the fact you can get almost anything online. My original comment came from just seeing a video and wanted to make the food in the near future (aka today or tomorrow ) and expressing that it could not be done. As this is the ... ranting thread!

I should look up a big order and get some stuff for my doomsday prep ;) jk. But seriously, living on an island sometimes the shipping doubles the price and makes it less affordable (even when free shipping was stated).

And to Pecan... Guess what stores have not had avocados the last few weeks? Lotte and EMart. But I must be lying because your eFart and Lotte have them right?

:laugh: :laugh: this yeah!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7584 on: September 21, 2017, 06:03:13 PM »

Lol I've never even been to a Costco in Korea.  Nearest one is 5 hours away (unless the plans to build one in a nearer city came to fruition, in which case... 3 hours away).  I remember being happy about online shopping for certain items and fools would jump in with "Why don't you just go to Costco?" as if they're just everywhere.  Not everyone lives in Seoul nor even a city  :undecided:

Also, a couple years back, Costco really was the best physical store to go to for out of the usual groceries.

But these days, real talk - Emart and to a lesser extent HomePlus, and maybe Lotte but I don't know cause I never shop there - all have extensive and impressive selections of imported foods, and Emart specifically has WAY better beef than Costco.

The only things I make a special trip to Costco for anymore are liquor and wine, coconut oil, and occasionally cereal and bread. And food court pizza.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7585 on: September 21, 2017, 06:03:53 PM »
Life is hard

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7586 on: September 21, 2017, 06:05:54 PM »

I love coupang.

I needed some more coffee, a English book for a gift and some fish for dinner tomorrow. It'll all be waiting for me when I get home from work tomorrow.

I'm so spoiled because of Rocket delivery!

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7587 on: September 21, 2017, 06:11:19 PM »

I love coupang.

I needed some more coffee, a English book for a gift and some fish for dinner tomorrow. It'll all be waiting for me when I get home from work tomorrow.

Considering how I do literally everything online for shopping, I can't believe I still haven't gotten on the Coupang train.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7588 on: September 21, 2017, 06:17:53 PM »

I love coupang.

Considering how I do literally everything online for shopping, I can't believe I still haven't gotten on the Coupang train.

I love me some Rocket delivery. 

And the selection of garbage is pretty nice. 

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7589 on: September 21, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »

I love coupang.

Yeah I really need to jump on this train too. I do remember once checking out the website and something must have put me off.  I should try again, maybe I was just in a bad mood from being on Waygook.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #7590 on: September 21, 2017, 06:33:37 PM »
The Lotte store you mentioned sounds like an 'express" and not an actual Lotte Mart.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you are confusing the type of Lotte store.

The mart sells them, the express does not...never has.

Yes... you could be wrong....
I specifically stated "in the last few weeks" which means they were there before. They just seem to be having a supply and demand issue the last 2 weeks or so.
Do I need to make a reading comprehension remark?  :cry: :evil:

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7591 on: September 21, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »
Do I need to make a reading comprehension remark?  :cry: :evil:
Perhaps, but it looks more like you got your sock handles mixed up, as I was responding to What?What?'s
I live in a town with a home plus. A very tiny home plus, pretty much the same size as a normal towns GS25.
..not Maxi

I got the Lotte and Homeplus crossed, while you got your user accounts twisted...

We could just call it even ;)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #7592 on: September 22, 2017, 11:49:51 AM »
 :police: Where are the grade 5s going today?  ;D

:-* We don't have grade 5 class today.

:police: No, I mean they have a field trip. Do you know where they're going?  ;D

:-* That is not our concern. It's not our responsibility.  >:(

:police: *Holy Christ, just making some small talk*  :rolleyes:
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7593 on: September 22, 2017, 11:51:19 AM »

:police: No, I mean they have a field trip. Do you know where they're going?  ;D

:-* Yes, I will go to church this weekend. Will you go to church this weekend?

Offline CJ

• Veteran
« Reply #7594 on: September 22, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »
CJ: I find Japanese easier to pronounce than Korean.

KT: Thatís because Korean is a scientific language.

Note to self: Just donít engage with your co-workers at all; just donít.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #7595 on: September 22, 2017, 12:08:51 PM »
OMG, I have had conversations like this soooo many times.

Additionally, on a much sadder, angrier note...I find out a student commits suicide in my school (by now I have taught all them, I love them and they all matter to me a great deal), Me: I whisper, who was it?
teacher: Why?
me:  :huh: Because I care. I taught them. I'd like to mourn them.
Teacher: You don't need to know.

This has happened 4 times in 3 years. Aside from the fact suicide shouldn't even be happening or so frequently, why can't I know???

Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7596 on: September 22, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »

Additionally, on a much sadder, angrier note...I find out a student commits suicide in my school (by now I have taught all them, I love them and they all matter to me a great deal), Me: I whisper, who was it?

This has happened 4 times in 3 years. Aside from the fact suicide shouldn't even be happening or so frequently, why can't I know???

Do they think it would bring shame to the kid/family?  :undecided:  Otherwise seems like bollocks to me. 

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7597 on: September 22, 2017, 12:21:48 PM »
I honestly have no idea. If it's that, they why do so many people know but not me.

Me: but you told ____(other foreign teacher)...?
Teacher: She's in his class this semester.
Me: that means she was in my class last semester...? So I still can't know.
Teacher: you won't know her anyway and we don't talk about things like this.
Me:  :huh: 90% of the school knows. The kids are undergoing grief counseling, grade by grade.
Teacher: let it go, okay? You don't need to know.
Me:  >:( :huh:

Do they think it would bring shame to the kid/family?  :undecided:  Otherwise seems like bollocks to me.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #7598 on: September 22, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
Holy shittttttt, that would probably make me blow a gauge.

The f is their problem?

"Someone you know died, but I can't tell you who it is."

It's like the worst game of keepaway ever.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7599 on: September 22, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »
Seriously, and it's been mostly girls sadly and I am real close to my girls, so I had to mourn without knowing. I think the biggest problem is because Korean English teachers do not actually teach IN ENGLISH and they just talk AT the students they literally have no idea how high level these kids are. They assume I have no relationship with them, that I don't know them, so it shouldn't matter. But it's bullshit because I know my students. They are high school, they are almost adults, and they talk to me about everything, they come to my class on breaks to chit chat. So every time it has happened I have felt heartbroken and devalued. I really try not to take the attitude personally, but damn it burns.

Holy shittttttt, that would probably make me blow a gauge.

The f is their problem?

"Someone you know died, but I can't tell you who it is."

It's like the worst game of keepaway ever.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment