December 12, 2017, 06:38:21 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 595653 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7540 on: November 21, 2017, 08:57:21 AM »
Curse my stupid romantic heart. 

Well, guess I've learned yet another lesson.

Offline koreakorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #7541 on: November 21, 2017, 09:12:33 AM »

Sorry to hear that, keep your chin up!

Dating here is really hard.  Not sure what went sour for you but in my experience, cultural difference along with the language barrier is insurmountable.

Offline koreakorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #7542 on: November 21, 2017, 09:17:40 AM »
Each year I forget how cold it gets at school and as soon as late November rolls around, I feel crushed by it.

I get that mold is an issue with many buildings here but my question is this:  will mold really grow in the corridors of a HUGE school if the windows are closed?  There's no heating in the corridors so I don't see why we can't at least close all the windows and the front doors.  Mold isn't going to grow in cavernous hallways with no heating is it? 

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #7543 on: November 21, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »
Each year I forget how cold it gets at school and as soon as late November rolls around, I feel crushed by it.

I get that mold is an issue with many buildings here but my question is this:  will mold really grow in the corridors of a HUGE school if the windows are closed?  There's no heating in the corridors so I don't see why we can't at least close all the windows and the front doors.  Mold isn't going to grow in cavernous hallways with no heating is it?
^^ this. This is why, even though I have a desk in the international office (something I thought I always wanted to have back when I was the elementary waygook and was feeling a tad lonely stuck in a classroom by myself [I got over it lol]) I sit in my classroom alone instead. The gym teachers are sitting with the heat on and all the windows flung open. And even though I have the heat on high in my classroom it's still drafty as heck in here, so I am sitting here with my oversized down coat on lol.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #7544 on: November 21, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »
Do you get paid for starting 5 threads a day? Just wondering.
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #7545 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:08 AM »
Who? me?
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #7546 on: November 21, 2017, 09:58:57 AM »
Who? me?

No.

Anyone. Just looking for some supplementary income.
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7547 on: November 21, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »

Sorry to hear that, keep your chin up!

Dating here is really hard.  Not sure what went sour for you but in my experience, cultural difference along with the language barrier is insurmountable.

Another expat, actually.  I can't imagine dealing with a language/cultural barrier on top of the typical issues.  Seems I was just a rebound.  Feels greaaaat man

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #7548 on: November 21, 2017, 10:20:38 AM »

Thought you were considering driving a Korean city bus to easy street?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #7549 on: November 21, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »

Thought you were considering driving a Korean city bus to easy street?

I failed the bus driving exam yesterday because an old fragile lady got on the bus during my driving exam and I let her sit down before driving off from the bus stop. The examiner said that my actions cost 1.7 seconds of wasted time which meant that Mrs Kim 3 rows back was late for being earlier than early for her trip to the local market where she just sits on the floor and moans about how cold it is all day with her twice removed cousin. He said I should have just stamped on the gas and sent the old bag flying down the aisle like a sack of spuds.

Offline Elegy

• Adventurer
« Reply #7550 on: November 22, 2017, 07:46:16 AM »
80 days.

Exactly 1,920 hours and 46 minutes from now I shall be leaving this country.

I keep looking at the ticket confirmation...it's so beautiful  :angel:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7551 on: November 22, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »
Someone sat down RIGHT beside me on the subway when there are plenty of empty seats all around and I'm kinda weirded out hahahah

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #7552 on: November 22, 2017, 10:59:34 AM »
One of the phrases I had to teach my students today was, "Here you are!"
I briefly mentioned after they said it a few times that it's a bit more common/friendly to say, "Here you go!"

:lipsrsealed: So ya! Here you are. Here you go. Both OK! Alright, so now...
:-* 미국인병 teacher, [points to 'Here you go,'] they don't need to know that, it's just going to confuse them, OK? It just waste time.
:lipsrsealed: No yeah, totally fine, just f()ck me I guess.

Works Cited

CO2, Kevin, "Emoji's to Format Dialogue With Co-Teacher." Waygook.org's Den of Thieves Community Forum 2017. Print.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #7553 on: November 22, 2017, 11:44:12 AM »
CO2, Kevin, "Emoji's to Format Dialogue With Co-Teacher." Waygook.org's Den of Thieves Community Forum 2017. Print.

:police: I'm honoured.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #7554 on: November 23, 2017, 09:36:43 AM »
My Co-T is such a........... Well.....................

;D  :P  :cheesy: Teacher, it's snowing!

:-* *proceeds to close all the window........ drapes? The curtain, I don't f'in know*

5 mins later, I begin teaching

:police: So, kids! How's the weather! (This is not the lesson, it is an English question, and it's pertinent)

:-* *proceeds to close her own window shutter which was 25% open.

Who does this???? F this, I'm moving to Indonesia.   

Offline tadpole511

• Adventurer
« Reply #7555 on: November 23, 2017, 01:42:17 PM »
RANT 1:
*I love my students. I love my students. I love my students*

But I have this one kid in particular who is driving me up a wall. He's one of the only ones in his class to go to hagwon. It's fine, except he's literally the most competitive person I've ever seen in my life. Like, come game/activity/project time, he's up there yelling and taking over his group because no one else can do it as fast as he can. (Note that they're perfectly capable of doing whatever it is, but just take 10 seconds to answer instead of 5 seconds.) He's yelling because I didn't add the team's point to the board before I changed the slide or I didn't add the sticker to his team's chart immediately as soon as the game ended or I didn't use the timer on the screen to allow for a little more time--which obviously means that it's completely unfair and he has to yell and moan about it until I understand his point *eye roll*. This child needs to learn some freaking patience. I talked to my coteacher about both of us sitting down with him and trying to get him to just calm the heck down, but apparently he's the exact same in his homeroom.

RANT 2:
There's this one homeroom teacher at my school who speaks really good English. She's cool, and she's a good teacher, and I generally enjoy teaching with her. But there's always been the niggling "Don't trust her" feeling. Nothing to support that feeling, just I get the idea she's a very petty, manipulative person, and she has lots of control issues. Well, she completely took over my entire classroom yesterday. Like rearranged the classroom, threw away my entire reward system, started changing the lesson in the middle of freaking class. Like, who the hell does this woman think she is to come into my classroom, change it around, take over my lesson, and then act like I'm the stupid one because I'm sitting there like "WTF?" She's so condescending, and I'm over it.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #7556 on: November 23, 2017, 02:44:25 PM »
Someone sat down RIGHT beside me on the subway when there are plenty of empty seats all around and I'm kinda weirded out hahahah

Yeah, that's happened to me a few times before as well (both on subways and buses).

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7557 on: November 23, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »
RANT 1:
*I love my students. I love my students. I love my students*

But I have this one kid in particular who is driving me up a wall. He's one of the only ones in his class to go to hagwon. It's fine, except he's literally the most competitive person I've ever seen in my life. Like, come game/activity/project time, he's up there yelling and taking over his group because no one else can do it as fast as he can. (Note that they're perfectly capable of doing whatever it is, but just take 10 seconds to answer instead of 5 seconds.) He's yelling because I didn't add the team's point to the board before I changed the slide or I didn't add the sticker to his team's chart immediately as soon as the game ended or I didn't use the timer on the screen to allow for a little more time--which obviously means that it's completely unfair and he has to yell and moan about it until I understand his point *eye roll*. This child needs to learn some freaking patience. I talked to my coteacher about both of us sitting down with him and trying to get him to just calm the heck down, but apparently he's the exact same in his homeroom.

RANT 2:
There's this one homeroom teacher at my school who speaks really good English. She's cool, and she's a good teacher, and I generally enjoy teaching with her. But there's always been the niggling "Don't trust her" feeling. Nothing to support that feeling, just I get the idea she's a very petty, manipulative person, and she has lots of control issues. Well, she completely took over my entire classroom yesterday. Like rearranged the classroom, threw away my entire reward system, started changing the lesson in the middle of freaking class. Like, who the hell does this woman think she is to come into my classroom, change it around, take over my lesson, and then act like I'm the stupid one because I'm sitting there like "WTF?" She's so condescending, and I'm over it.

I have 2 students like that, one boy and one girl, both in the 4th grade but different schools. I'm using slightly different approaches for both of them.

I feel very sorry for the girl as she's been raised to be a total bi-atch. She's at my rural school and transferred there from Seoul. The other students are pretty weak at English, but focus 100% of their efforts on helping and encouraging one another... it really melts my heart. It's plain to see, and her HR teacher told me the same, that she ONLY thinks of herself. Her parents are quite rich and because of her high English level and wealth, she has a MASSIVE superiority complex, even to the point that she attempts to correct my English... attempts ;D
Some of her greatest hits:

- During the lesson she tried to correct me with incorrect English. Since I'm a NET, I possess the necessary dexterity
  to gently affirm that "I can swim" (what I wrote on the board) is correct and "I can swimming" (what she insisted I
  change what I wrote down to) is incorrect, while praising her for trying and paying attention.
  She wouldn't let it go and complained to the HR teacher and her parents that I didn't correct myself.
- She can put her head on her desk in break down into sobs in 3sec flat. Usually when she doesn't win a game.
- I asked her to turn the lights off, I was about to play a short YT video. She refused. I asked again and she refused.
  I warned her that if she refused again she'd be getting in big trouble... Then, she actually had the gall to bark at the
  special needs kid, who has a mental problem and difficulty walking, to turn off the light.

The boy is ultra, hyper competitive. He becomes physically destructive with whatever is in his radius whenever he loses and you get the sense that his parents just died in a tractor accident. He delights in berating other students when they lose or make a mistake and becomes ridiculously aggressive with his team when they can't answer or take too long.
I really worry about this kid as he does not take failure well. If his asshole parents continue to reinforce this kind of behaviour, I see this kid growing up to be extremely violent and abusive to others and himself.

As to your 2nd rant, I know exactly what you mean.

There are some Korean brown-nosers here who'll want to crucify me for saying this, but self-preservation is more important than cultural sensitivity. I learned this the hard way. Never trust your co-workers, end of story.
It's absolutely true that most Koreans, are not lying, backstabbing c**ts, but those that are, are devious as hell and hard to spot till it's too late.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7558 on: November 23, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »

Yeah, that's happened to me a few times before as well (both on subways and buses).

Offline koreakorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #7559 on: November 24, 2017, 07:33:20 AM »
My Co-T is such a........... Well.....................

;D  :P  :cheesy: Teacher, it's snowing!

:-* *proceeds to close all the window........ drapes? The curtain, I don't f'in know*

5 mins later, I begin teaching

:police: So, kids! How's the weather! (This is not the lesson, it is an English question, and it's pertinent)

:-* *proceeds to close her own window shutter which was 25% open.

Who does this???? F this, I'm moving to Indonesia.

Please don't move to Indonesia just for that girl.  Also, block your ex's number and block her on Kakao, Facebook, etc.  I've been in your position and it's sh*te I know but she's just going to keep messing with your head by contacting you whenever she's bored and wants some attention.