October 17, 2017, 04:56:38 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 518878 times)

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7520 on: September 15, 2017, 04:45:18 PM »
I teach 3rd and 4th grade with the homeroom teachers, and all year I have been trying so hard to get the kids to raise their hand without screaming when they volunteer/answer a question. It's been going pretty well and a lot of the kids understand these days that if they want me to call on them they have to raise their hand quietly.

Today one of the 4th grade teachers completely destroyed all progress I made with his class. I had quite a few volunteers to answer a question, and while I was calling on a student I could hear the homeroom teacher telling the kids where he was standing to yell, "ME ME ME!"  >:( >:( >:( So now these kids start shrieking at me and I'm standing there resisting the urge to sink to the floor and cover my ears because they were so loud. I'm not going to reward the loud kids for overpowering the quiet (and usually better behaved) students who are also eager to answer questions but can't get a word in edgewise because of the little brats who are screaming.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7521 on: September 15, 2017, 04:59:21 PM »
I thought Paypal didn't even work well in Korea...?

NOTHING related to banking works well in Korea.

Wait, what?

What makes you say that?

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7522 on: September 15, 2017, 05:04:27 PM »
I teach 3rd and 4th grade with the homeroom teachers, and all year I have been trying so hard to get the kids to raise their hand without screaming when they volunteer/answer a question. It's been going pretty well and a lot of the kids understand these days that if they want me to call on them they have to raise their hand quietly.

Today one of the 4th grade teachers completely destroyed all progress I made with his class. I had quite a few volunteers to answer a question, and while I was calling on a student I could hear the homeroom teacher telling the kids where he was standing to yell, "ME ME ME!"  >:( >:( >:( So now these kids start shrieking at me and I'm standing there resisting the urge to sink to the floor and cover my ears because they were so loud. I'm not going to reward the loud kids for overpowering the quiet (and usually better behaved) students who are also eager to answer questions but can't get a word in edgewise because of the little brats who are screaming.

I hate that too. I tell the students to quietly raise their hand and that I'll pick the students who are well behaved, but my CTs don't seem to agree that shouting while you raise your hand is bad manners.

I'll try to avoid picking on the students who are showing out/making a scene until they calm down but my CT always makes comments like "so-and-so really wants to answer..." like nudging me to choose the loudest over the ones who are actually following my rules. She also gives into the poorly behaved students who beg for stickers at the end of class when they don't deserve them. I mean what's the point in all of these rules if they're just going to break them anyway?

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7523 on: September 16, 2017, 12:15:50 AM »
I received a 10% warning (which lead to me being muted) for "Posting in the wrong thread" (several weeks after i made the posting i might add).  I just noticed someone else today had their topic moved as it was in the the wrong thread, yet they have no 10% warning.  Where  is the consitency?

As i am being moderated, this more than likely will not be posted!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:04:31 AM by sligo »

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7524 on: September 16, 2017, 01:03:38 PM »
I received a 10% warning (which lead to me being muted) for "Posting in the wrong thread" (several weeks after i made the posting i might add).  I just noticed someone else today had their topic moved as it was in the the wrong thread, yet they have no 10% warning.  Where  is the consitency?

As i am being moderated, this more than likely will not be posted!

I had exactly the same issue, 2 weeks after posting the thread.
It was regarding the computer skills of my CTs.
Apparently, posting it in the 'Open Discussion' thread warranted a warning, it should've been in the 'Contract in Job' thread... With the ambiguity of thread titles I can think of it being appropriate in at least 4 different threads:

Open Discussion
IT
Life in Korea
Contract and Job

I messaged the admin and haven't received a response... Perhaps I should wait 2 weeks? That seems to be their usual reaction time, maybe they use IE.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7525 on: September 16, 2017, 02:08:33 PM »
I'm not going to reward the loud kids for overpowering the quiet (and usually better behaved) students who are also eager to answer questions but can't get a word in edgewise because of the little brats who are screaming.
I'll try to avoid picking on the students who are showing out/making a scene until they calm down but my CT always makes comments like "so-and-so really wants to answer..." like nudging me to choose the loudest over the ones who are actually following my rules.
I just straight up tell my little rugrats that I will not choose anybody who is yelling. They know the rules (even if they don't always follow them): raise your hand quietly or be ignored forever!  :evil:

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7526 on: September 16, 2017, 07:06:04 PM »
I'm not going to reward the loud kids for overpowering the quiet (and usually better behaved) students who are also eager to answer questions but can't get a word in edgewise because of the little brats who are screaming.
I'll try to avoid picking on the students who are showing out/making a scene until they calm down but my CT always makes comments like "so-and-so really wants to answer..." like nudging me to choose the loudest over the ones who are actually following my rules.
I just straight up tell my little rugrats that I will not choose anybody who is yelling. They know the rules (even if they don't always follow them): raise your hand quietly or be ignored forever!  :evil:
Kyndo,

Have you ever had any kind of professional development on "engagement"?

One of the first things we were taught in teacher training: raise hands=bad, no raise hands=good.

There are obvious answers as to why, but have you ever considered other ways to keep the entire class engaged, rather than just a few students?

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7527 on: September 17, 2017, 05:48:32 PM »
Kyndo,

Have you ever had any kind of professional development on "engagement"?

One of the first things we were taught in teacher training: raise hands=bad, no raise hands=good.

There are obvious answers as to why, but have you ever considered other ways to keep the entire class engaged, rather than just a few students?
Yes indeedy-do.
 I definitely have.
And it's because my lessons are so darn awesomely engaging that I consistently have 30 super engaged students competing with each other to answer questions that I need to enforce some kind of volume control! with SO much engagement going on, I'm worried that if I don't add some kind order, the (super engaged) chaos will cause the administration to think that we're engaging in some kind of riot.

Just because some students aren't jumping up and down and screaming doesn't mean they're not following along: some kids are just naturally quieter than others. They deserve a chance to show their proficiency as well.
As your teaching classes have undoubtedly mentioned, having students raise their hands in class is only bad if it limits student participation. My issue is that everybody is raising their hands (they *all* want to participate) and some are, in addition to raising their hands, screaming etc.

I like noise, but there *is* a limit. Be quiet while raising your hand or else be ignored forever and ever amen.
 :angel:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:08:10 PM by kyndo »

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7528 on: September 17, 2017, 06:38:56 PM »
Great.

Ever tried plickers or a similar form of a "clicker"?  Random name generator or other to take bias out of the selection process?

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7529 on: September 17, 2017, 07:04:24 PM »
what a con these so-called food banks are. i deposited a packet of dried squid there last week, and when i went to withdraw it today i was told it was gone.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7530 on: September 18, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
1) The understanding we entered into to share our materials on this website was that they would be freely available to other members.
2) Even right now, the front page proclaims "sign up for a free account to have access to lesson plans" (see attachment).
3) I have posted hundreds of PPTs containing probably thousands of images, many of them copyright of powerful media companies.  When this was a free site, an "educational use" argument is easily made for use of this IP.  Now that it's behind a paywall, not only is Arsalan on the hook, so am I, even though I won't see any money.
4) I don't have any choice but remove materials that I feel may now infringe someone's copyright. I'm going to wait a week or so first, to see if any policy changes are forthcoming.
5) There is also, as anyone able to read for comprehension should understand, a strong objection to the manner in which the paywall was erected.  Any number of ways of raising money could have been implemented, from a donation frame a la wikipedia with a set goal, to a leveled service with limits according to, say, volume of dls--pay a premium for more ppt downloads.

So, over a week has passed and still no word from Aslan and no sign that the pay wall is coming down. How long are you willing to wait Mr. C? I'm wondering if I should make this a priority for myself...

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7531 on: September 18, 2017, 10:53:43 AM »
Ever tried plickers or a similar form of a "clicker"?  Random name generator or other to take bias out of the selection process?
Unfortunately, having 2000+ students makes keeping track of names a no-go, but I do have a few pretty decent systems of randomized choosing:
For example, I have a stuffy (this month its a pikachu I rescued from a claw-machine contraption) which I toss to some student randomly. Occasionally I then let them toss it to the next student, who will then get to volunteer an answer. It's pretty random, and best of all, it's super fast, fun, and doesn't require any kind of technology.

But I think we're discussing 2 very different things: you're concerned with the randomization of student selection, while I was talking more about getting students to not give me nose bleeds every time I need a question answered.

I agree that there are many great alternatives to "teacher-picking-amongst-raised-hands" to ensure that it's not the constantly the same students who are chosen to participate.

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7532 on: September 18, 2017, 12:10:14 PM »
1) The understanding we entered into to share our materials on this website was that they would be freely available to other members.
2) Even right now, the front page proclaims "sign up for a free account to have access to lesson plans" (see attachment).
3) I have posted hundreds of PPTs containing probably thousands of images, many of them copyright of powerful media companies.  When this was a free site, an "educational use" argument is easily made for use of this IP.  Now that it's behind a paywall, not only is Arsalan on the hook, so am I, even though I won't see any money.
4) I don't have any choice but remove materials that I feel may now infringe someone's copyright. I'm going to wait a week or so first, to see if any policy changes are forthcoming.
5) There is also, as anyone able to read for comprehension should understand, a strong objection to the manner in which the paywall was erected.  Any number of ways of raising money could have been implemented, from a donation frame a la wikipedia with a set goal, to a leveled service with limits according to, say, volume of dls--pay a premium for more ppt downloads.

So, over a week has passed and still no word from Aslan and no sign that the pay wall is coming down. How long are you willing to wait Mr. C? I'm wondering if I should make this a priority for myself...

I literally only use Mr C's work and Taramurphys work. I haven't paid yet, but have formulated a plan to get around the "I can't pay" issue I am having, but Tara has already removed her work and if Mr C does the same then I truly couldn't be arsed to even try and make a plan.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7533 on: September 18, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
I literally only use Mr C's work and Taramurphys work. I haven't paid yet, but have formulated a plan to get around the "I can't pay" issue I am having, but Tara has already removed her work and if Mr C does the same then I truly couldn't be arsed to even try and make a plan.
I hear you.

As I've mentioned before Mr. C is one of the top two contributors with regards to quality of content and meeting the learning objectives.

The publishing company, Chunjae? needs to hire him to create a supplementary resource kit.

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7534 on: September 19, 2017, 04:31:02 PM »
Yeah, so I just had a friend message me to say that the following users have removed their content:

Maximmm Mr Tim and Zeegs  * add Schellib39  to the list

Needless to say I won't be paying and he won't be getting another subscription....  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Also, some things said on a earlier thread (maybe from yesterday) to AlivePoet by the powers that be really rubbed me the wrong way.

BUT don't worry. I will just be here to complain about life and all and sundry.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:40:55 PM by What?What? »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7535 on: September 19, 2017, 06:03:38 PM »
Apparently my principal had a meeting with some teachers and told them never to yell at, scold, or punish students. She said "only treat them with love" when they misbehave.

These kids are already out of control and she's taking away the only resources teachers have to get them under control. You can't "love" wild and disrespectful 2nd graders into putting their snacks away during after school class. They. Don't. Care. And it's to the point where things get dangerous, kids climbing all over desks and falling off bookshelf ledges...

I asked my CT if the principal is ever involved in disciplining students and she said no, so I asked how can she tell teachers not to do it if she won't even help? It's totally insane, there is no system for discipline here and now our new principal is actively trying to make things worse.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7536 on: September 19, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »
I hear you.

As I've mentioned before Mr. C is one of the top two contributors with regards to quality of content and meeting the learning objectives.

The publishing company, Chunjae? needs to hire him to create a supplementary resource kit.
It's great to be appreciated. 

Right now, I'm working on how to share over at KorShare.  By the end of the week I'll have to start sorting through what I can leave up here.  That will still be lot of stuff, but nothing with Mickey Mouse or Mr Bean or Pororo or what-have-you.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7537 on: September 20, 2017, 11:34:27 AM »
Trash printer is insisting that the toner is empty, but they just replaced it a few weeks ago. Instead of wasting money on silly banners and snacks can they please buy us a printer that works?

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7538 on: September 20, 2017, 12:44:01 PM »
I asked my CT if the principal is ever involved in disciplining students and she said no, so I asked how can she tell teachers not to do it if she won't even help? It's totally insane, there is no system for discipline here and now our new principal is actively trying to make things worse.

at my school i was explicitly told that the job of the principal and vice-principal is to discipline the teachers, not the students. and that neither of them have anything at all to do with the students, their only job is to manage the teachers.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7539 on: September 20, 2017, 12:59:23 PM »
My travel school is away on a field trip today. The principal of that school told me I could just take the day off, and stay home and relax, because my main school would think I would be there all day.

However, yesterday, 5 minutes before the end of the day, one of the teachers from my travel school drove ALL the way to my main school, to tell my co-teacher there is no school there today, forcing me to have to come and desk warm at my main school. The same teacher, came over to my desk, and helped himself to a huge handful of the snacks I keep at my desk, before leaving. >.<

Also, one of the teachers at my main school, he always dumps food from the cafeteria into my lunchbox. I have lots of food allergies, so I cook lunch the night before and bring it to school. Every day I sit near this teacher, he looks at my lunch and says "You need some of X with your lunch" goes and gets some and dumps it into my lunchbox over everything I have prepared. I have to explain often, not to do that, because if you put food in I'm allergic to, I'm going to have to dump my lunch with the food; and I'm a very picky eater, I also choose to make my lunch so I know I'll enjoy it. The teacher is really nice, but this dumping food onto the food I prepare is really annoying.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment