October 19, 2017, 03:22:12 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 521387 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7500 on: September 13, 2017, 05:57:27 PM »
My principal is a pretty chill guy. I don't interact with him much, but he always makes it a point to greet me whenever we cross paths. He bows, says "hello" or "good morning" in English (even when I try to greet him in Korean), and he doesn't do anything to make my life harder, so it's all good.

The only thing is that whenever people from outside of the school drops in to visit, he makes it a point to almost completely ignore me, even when I greet him. I understand that there are appearances to maintain... but why is being a rude asshole to a foreigner a part of that process? All I know is, my other principals never felt the need to do this. They may have chosen to nod their heads instead of slightly bowing to me in those same instances, but they still politely acknowledged my presence.

I just wonder if he ever feels bad about doing it, if he realizes just how bad it looks to those outside of the gaejeossi circle.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7501 on: September 13, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »
I have to make 20 golden bell questions about a book that doesn't have a story.

It's basically just a song printed next to pictures, repetitive... no action.. just pretty language.

Why did my CT choose this book!

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7502 on: September 13, 2017, 06:22:33 PM »
I'd like to preemptively rant about how my coteacher is going to give the kids the answer to whatever warm up I decided to do tomorrow.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #7503 on: September 13, 2017, 07:10:47 PM »
I thought Paypal didn't even work well in Korea...?

NOTHING related to banking works well in Korea.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7504 on: September 13, 2017, 11:35:17 PM »
In May, I was told that teaching the 2nd and 3rd year middle school kids how to read large numbers was too easy for them.

Guess who can't read the large numbers that are part of the lesson we're doing now.
I would say that a good twelve-twentieths of my grade three middle school students still mix up "12" and "20"

I see what you did there.  But the remnants of the math teacher in me wants to point out that you should reduce that fraction to three-fifths.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7505 on: September 14, 2017, 11:11:51 AM »
In May, I was told that teaching the 2nd and 3rd year middle school kids how to read large numbers was too easy for them.

Guess who can't read the large numbers that are part of the lesson we're doing now.
I would say that a good twelve-twentieths of my grade three middle school students still mix up "12" and "20"
I see what you did there.  But the remnants of the math teacher in me wants to point out that you should reduce that fraction to three-fifths.
Well, I wouldn't want to oversimplify things and come across as patronising.  :smiley:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7506 on: September 14, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »

Well, I wouldn't want to oversimplify things and come across as patronising.  :smiley:

I remember my dad's favourite mathematical expression when talking about politicians or people he didn't like, and that was 'he knows three-fifths of fcuk-all'.  The answer being?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #7507 on: September 14, 2017, 11:51:12 AM »
Y'all got that one teacher who talks louder than a Boeing747 taking off in the school office? I've got one of them and a female teacher who's voice sounds like nails scraping down a chalkboard. 

Offline gidget

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7508 on: September 14, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »
I just saw my CT on the other website-that-must-be-spoken-of.

I can't complain on either forum!!   :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7509 on: September 14, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »

I remember my dad's favourite mathematical expression when talking about politicians or people he didn't like, and that was 'he knows three-fifths of fcuk-all'.  The answer being?

We used to say "Square root of bugger all".

Also, "She doesn't have a click."  A click being 1/60 of a clue.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #7510 on: September 14, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »
Co-T: *when referring to prepositions of place on/in/under* We don't say "Where is the pencil?" We say "Where is a pencil?"

No.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline hangook77

• Adventurer
« Reply #7511 on: September 15, 2017, 11:14:53 AM »
No ranting today.  It's friday.  I only have 3 classes on Friday.  First period is free.  The weather is seasonably cool and nice.  (So I'm told.  Expats said last night Sept is usually still pretty humid most years.)  Either way, it's Friday.  Nothing to complain about here.  Happy Friday everyone!!!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:16:42 AM by hangook77 »

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #7512 on: September 15, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
I wish my idiot co-teacher would stop telling students to open their books to "paygee 35." If you can't pronounce 'page' then you shouldn't be teaching English.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #7513 on: September 15, 2017, 12:39:35 PM »
I wish my idiot co-teacher would stop telling students to open their books to "paygee 35." If you can't pronounce 'page' then you shouldn't be teaching English.

Eat ijuh aw pensheel.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:42:34 PM by CO2 »

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7514 on: September 15, 2017, 12:42:30 PM »

could be worse

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7515 on: September 15, 2017, 02:24:35 PM »
I'd like to preemptively rant about how my coteacher is going to give the kids the answer to whatever warm up I decided to do tomorrow.

It happened. If you don't think your kids can unscramble the word 'tree', that says something about your abilities. Or maybe he just wants to show off that he's so good with English??? I don't get it.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7516 on: September 15, 2017, 02:58:05 PM »
This and last week have been horrible. It's like there's an infection.

I don't know all of the details, but apparently the student body has been especially rebellious within the last month or so, and the powers-that-be have been cracking down. As a result, attitudes are bad and tensions are high, and all of that bullshit has been bleeding into my classes as well.

It isn't anarchy or anything, it's really only around 1-3 students per class, but these students have been getting into aggressive arguments with teachers and attempting to discredit them in various ways. Which means, as a foreigner, they feel like they can get right up in my face, and they have... and my coTs have been too shocked by the students' actions to react at first (they don't seem to realize that bigotry starts young and that it's a runoff from the people they're exposed to on a regular basis, namely family and friends).

It was no big surprise to me, I've been in Korea long enough to expect it from a certain type of personality, and I know how to handle it. I just wish my coTs did and that they didn't all think that Korean students aren't capable of this kind of behavior, lol. Seriously, teenagers aren't adults, yet, their mental and emotional maturities are still developing, so I'm not sure why it comes as a surprise whenever their behaviors sometimes reflect that, or why some teachers can't realize when the kids are purposely trying to upset them by using any means necessary.

I'm both aggravated and tired, not so much at the students as I am at how the school is choosing to handle them. Makes my job harder.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:02:11 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7517 on: September 15, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »
No ranting today.  It's friday.  I only have 3 classes on Friday.  First period is free.  The weather is seasonably cool and nice.  (So I'm told.  Expats said last night Sept is usually still pretty humid most years.)  Either way, it's Friday.  Nothing to complain about here.  Happy Friday everyone!!!

You're in the wrong thread.

Just kidding, have a good weekend.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7518 on: September 15, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »

You're in the wrong thread.

Just kidding, have a good weekend.

We could always whinge about the lack of ranting.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #7519 on: September 15, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
It always blows my mind what some of the kids will raise their hand for here.

:shocked: Teacher, the student sitting next to me has a 1.5cm rip on the last page of their textbook.

:shocked: Teacher, the eraser fell off of Minho's pencil.

Okay? The hell do you want us to do about it? hahaha You're in grade 4, figure it out.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment