September 26, 2018, 10:11:40 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1098772 times)

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7480 on: January 24, 2018, 01:09:13 PM »
I'd certainly like to think that there is a difference between people with diagnosed conditions like autism and people who chose to wear male rompers. Therapists were saying that the act of "fidgeting" was helping those with autism focus more on what they were supposed to be focused on. If it helps them, then who are we to belittle them and the methods that help?

Good for the people with autism.

Everyone else that's using them can eff off. Stop fidgeting. Sit up straight. Tuck in that shirt. Clean your room.

I personally hate wearing shirts tucked in, they are extremely uncomfortable D:

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7481 on: January 24, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »
I'd certainly like to think that there is a difference between people with diagnosed conditions like autism and people who chose to wear male rompers. Therapists were saying that the act of "fidgeting" was helping those with autism focus more on what they were supposed to be focused on. If it helps them, then who are we to belittle them and the methods that help?

Good for the people with autism.

Everyone else that's using them can eff off. Stop fidgeting. Sit up straight. Tuck in that shirt. Clean your room.

I personally hate wearing shirts tucked in, they are extremely uncomfortable D:

Well it does depend on the shirt. Tucking in apolo is just silly looking.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7482 on: January 24, 2018, 06:11:55 PM »
Well it does depend on the shirt. Tucking in apolo is just silly looking.

So is untucking a dress shirt IMO. Unless you want to look like a Top Gear presenter.

Offline Sir-Mark

• Waygookin
« Reply #7483 on: February 01, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »
So I'm heading back to Korea again in a few weeks. Finally got the visa issuance number and sent out my documents to the local consulate. I'm from Canada, and so I mailed via Canada Post. It got to the city of the consulate, but then some idiot screwed something up and it shows up back in my city Tuesday. I call them to see what's going on and according to there systems, it's still here! I'm rattled. They better not screw up again or it is going to get dangerously close to when I leave by the time I get my visa.

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #7484 on: February 06, 2018, 02:09:36 PM »
I'm trying to get everything situated before I leave and get my shit paid to me along with my last paycheck but I know my CT is not going to put enough pressure on the school admin staff and I'll probably get stuck trying to have them send it to me when I'm back home.

I know it's possible for them to pay my severance/exit/renewal all at the same time because my friends who left last year all had that happen. But my CT is so so meek and afraid to talk to people/inconvenience them that I know she's just going to accept whatever they say at face value and I'll be back in the states worrying about getting my money.

She's like this about everything. She won't even use the shared fridge/microwave that is for ALL English staff simply because it's in another teacher's room and it would be "awkward" .... she's so scared of other people! This woman is def not going to get me my money on time  >:( >:(

It's possible to get severance paid all on the same day? As in on the standard pay day?

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7485 on: February 06, 2018, 02:31:14 PM »
Yes, I don't know if it's common, but my friends who left last year definitely had all their money including severance paid to them with their last paycheck. They didn't have to wait for anything - I double checked!

I got mine on the final payday before leaving too. As long as your co-teacher talks to the office staff about it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #7486 on: February 07, 2018, 10:19:55 AM »
Its 8.6 degrees Celsius inside the staff room here. I am typing with my gloves on. After a few hours of sitting still here i am freezing. Heater is not working.

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #7487 on: February 07, 2018, 10:27:23 AM »
*playing a Jeopardy game. answer written in the ppt is "She's a teacher."*

Student 1: "She is a teacher."
*switch to answer slide, give team the points*
Student 2: "No! It says 'She's'! He said 'She is'! He is wrong!"

I can appreciate competitiveness, and there is a time and place for being super picky about semantics. But seriously? The question was "What job does she do?", not anything about contractions. Calm down.

Offline wanderlust8

• Veteran
« Reply #7488 on: February 07, 2018, 10:38:00 AM »

I can appreciate competitiveness, and there is a time and place for being super picky about semantics. But seriously? The question was "What job does she do?", not anything about contractions. Calm down.

My kids are super picky about that as well. I usually give the team points if they're close to the answer. But my kids like to play teacher and insist that I must listen to them. I've started leaving the answers out of the powerpoints. That way it can be whatever I want it to be. It's funny though how they'll be so strict about other team's points but the moment it's their turn they ask the teacher to be nice and just give it to them.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #7489 on: February 07, 2018, 11:23:37 AM »
Scientists: Climate change could release toxic mercury
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/scientists-climate-change-could-release-toxic-mercury/article_dc8955ec-250b-57ed-85f4-eca7192c40da.html
Permafrost also contains large volumes of mercury, a toxic element humans have already been pumping into the air by burning coal.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7490 on: February 07, 2018, 11:42:47 AM »
Scientists: Climate change could release toxic mercury
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/scientists-climate-change-could-release-toxic-mercury/article_dc8955ec-250b-57ed-85f4-eca7192c40da.html
Permafrost also contains large volumes of mercury, a toxic element humans have already been pumping into the air by burning coal.
Once the permafrost starts melting, mercury will be the least of our worries. Once the methane cladates start venting in earnest, our atmosphere is rapidly gonna shift towards something a lot like Venus's. Hopefully we'll have our colonies on Mars up and running by then!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:44:26 AM by kyndo »

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7491 on: February 07, 2018, 02:32:39 PM »

My kids are super picky about that as well. I usually give the team points if they're close to the answer. But my kids like to play teacher and insist that I must listen to them. I've started leaving the answers out of the powerpoints. That way it can be whatever I want it to be. It's funny though how they'll be so strict about other team's points but the moment it's their turn they ask the teacher to be nice and just give it to them.
For each lesson, I have a PPT with ten or twelve target sentences on a slide at the end. 

I give a class one warning when it comes to this kind of thing (teachers are the judges and all decisions are final); the second time there are complaints, I pull up that PPT and the whole class copies sentences until the end of the period. It's pretty effective.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7492 on: February 07, 2018, 02:41:52 PM »
Just saw a woman walking with a child who looked 2 years old or less.  Walked to the car, open the back door,  place child on back seat, no safety measures, not even a seat belt, close the door, get in front seat PUT ON HER SEATBELT and drive away.  As long as you are safe love!

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7493 on: February 07, 2018, 03:09:37 PM »
Just saw a woman walking with a child who looked 2 years old or less.  Walked to the car, open the back door,  place child on back seat, no safety measures, not even a seat belt, close the door, get in front seat PUT ON HER SEATBELT and drive away.  As long as you are safe love!

Did it have the magical “Baby in Car” sticker?

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #7494 on: February 08, 2018, 07:39:03 AM »

I'll do ya one better. There's a car I walk past every day on my way to school, and the parents are putting the toddler in the front seat sans carseat. Never seen them put a seatbelt on him either.

For each lesson, I have a PPT with ten or twelve target sentences on a slide at the end. 

I give a class one warning when it comes to this kind of thing (teachers are the judges and all decisions are final); the second time there are complaints, I pull up that PPT and the whole class copies sentences until the end of the period. It's pretty effective.

Well, I just finished my last classes at that school, but I will definitely keep that in mind for the future!

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #7495 on: February 08, 2018, 07:43:01 AM »

I'll do ya one better. There's a car I walk past every day on my way to school, and the parents are putting the toddler in the front seat sans carseat. Never seen them put a seatbelt on him either.

I can do one better.  A couple of times, I've seen a dad allowing his 2/3 year-old son to stand between the front seats, with his head out the sunroof waving his arms around, whilst driving down a road at about 60 km/h.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7496 on: February 08, 2018, 08:25:39 AM »
That ******. That fuckityfuckfuckfucking ******.

Long story short, I have a new arch-nemesis.

In lighter news, I've lost two USBs and a sports bra in this past week. No idea where they are, but they're gone.

Offline Kaynadian

• Adventurer
« Reply #7497 on: February 08, 2018, 09:12:35 AM »
At my main school, both of my fabulous co-teachers who I get along with so well are leaving. Also many of the other teachers I get along with. I hope my new handler and co-teacher are as great as these ones but it may be too much to hope for.

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #7498 on: February 08, 2018, 09:27:12 AM »
I'm in the same boat at my second school - my main co-teacher, who has been fantastic at keeping me updated with schedule changes etc, is leaving and isn't getting replaced, and the others are all 60+ dinosaurs who can't speak much English. So I feel ya pain  :sad:
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7499 on: February 08, 2018, 09:57:28 AM »

I can do one better.  A couple of times, I've seen a dad allowing his 2/3 year-old son to stand between the front seats, with his head out the sunroof waving his arms around, whilst driving down a road at about 60 km/h.

Sounds like you guys need to get some cotton wool and bubble wrap, approach the parents in question and tell them, "this is how we do it in my country!" I'm sure they'll appreciate your help.