December 17, 2017, 02:47:35 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 601181 times)

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7440 on: October 30, 2017, 02:59:25 PM »
It's too bad that you're having to deal with idiotic CT behavior during the homestretch of your contract yirj17.

Just know that you'll soon be free to give a piece of your mind to everyone who deserves it  :wink:

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7441 on: October 30, 2017, 03:39:06 PM »
Not a single post here in three days? Wow.

To get the ball rolling again.

Is it fall or early Winter? Did we just skip fall?

Just a glitch.

We'll have fall back tomorrow.
I sure hope so. I'm not ready to be constantly be cold at school.

My coteacher always asks me to find materials for the lesson, and of course I don't mind doing that because that's part of lesson planning, but the whole time I'm working on lessons she's chatting with coworkers. When I show her what I've found/made she clearly does not like any of it. This has been going on all year and I still don't know what she wants. And it wouldn't kill her to stop talking for 10 minutes and help find/make something.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7442 on: October 31, 2017, 12:41:16 PM »
Not a single post here in three days? Wow.

To get the ball rolling again.

Is it fall or early Winter? Did we just skip fall?

Just a glitch.

We'll have fall back tomorrow.
I sure hope so. I'm not ready to be constantly be cold at school.

My coteacher always asks me to find materials for the lesson, and of course I don't mind doing that because that's part of lesson planning, but the whole time I'm working on lessons she's chatting with coworkers. When I show her what I've found/made she clearly does not like any of it. This has been going on all year and I still don't know what she wants. And it wouldn't kill her to stop talking for 10 minutes and help find/make something.

I used to work with several teachers like that, and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you give them a chance to say they don't like what you found, they're going to say that. Just get in the rhythm of you come to class with the lesson ready, teach it, do a good job, and then they don't have to worry about your materials, and you don't have to run it past them. Just operate under the assumption that they should never need to ask you to find materials - you'll just bring them.

It's kind of hard to get into that routine if they've been approving or denying your stuff in the past, but if you start teaching with a new teacher, it's good to be just like, "Here's what we're doing, here's the files. See you tomorrow."

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7443 on: November 01, 2017, 07:58:28 AM »
I used to work with several teachers like that, and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you give them a chance to say they don't like what you found, they're going to say that. Just get in the rhythm of you come to class with the lesson ready, teach it, do a good job, and then they don't have to worry about your materials, and you don't have to run it past them. Just operate under the assumption that they should never need to ask you to find materials - you'll just bring them.

It's kind of hard to get into that routine if they've been approving or denying your stuff in the past, but if you start teaching with a new teacher, it's good to be just like, "Here's what we're doing, here's the files. See you tomorrow."
I like the idea and I wish I could do that, but my co is a complete control freak. She sits right next to me in the office and asks what I've found/made/working on every day. There's absolutely no way she'd ever allow any activity into the classroom that she didn't completely understand and pre-approve, and change parts of. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7444 on: November 01, 2017, 11:41:47 AM »
This kind of stuff is so funny!

I'm really laughing, so I don't know why I'm putting it in the ranting thread. I guess because it's just so ridiculous to find these chapters in a foreign language book. I wonder what they learn in their actual Korean lessons.

"Wow! Koreans are very smart."

Now I know why the Koreans I meet act like unpaid government tour and culture guides, even after I tell them I've been living here for several years. They are taught that this is how your conversations with foreigners are supposed to go. And why they act so disappointed when I don't gush over what they think I should gush over.  I didn't follow the script  :laugh:

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7445 on: November 01, 2017, 11:43:47 AM »
It's always a privilege to witness my CT in action when it comes to discipline and the effectiveness of Korean teacher training. She teaches one class by herself and I sit in the next room. If you've ever visited Earth, you might've heard the noise her class makes. In an effort to combat this ear splitting raucous, she's turned to technology by plugging in the microphone and attempting to scream the lesson over the student's noise.

Not entirely dense, it took her 3 months to realize that this ultimately doubles the noise. So she's adopted the strategy of teaching the students to police each other by permitting them to shout the words "Be Quiet" at any noise violators. Now, we've got an English lesson of my CT shouting awkward Key Expressions through a speaker while 30 students are all attempting to scream "Be Quiet!" at their friends.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7446 on: November 01, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »

I'm really laughing, so I don't know why I'm putting it in the ranting thread. I guess because it's just so ridiculous to find these chapters in a foreign language book. I wonder what they learn in their actual Korean lessons.

Now I know why the Koreans I meet act like unpaid government tour and culture guides, even after I tell them I've been living here for several years. They are taught that this is how your conversations with foreigners are supposed to go. And why they act so disappointed when I don't gush over what they think I should gush over.  I didn't follow the script  :laugh:

It's almost surreal.

I've taken classes in Arabic, French, German, Japanese, Mandarin, and Spanish, and not a single one of them included chapters about America. I had plenty of other classes in which to learn about my own country; my languages classes gave me the opportunity to learn about different cultures and new places.

I genuinely think the English books here are doing the students a disservice. Happily, I've often been given the opportunity to teach classes about whatever I feel like teaching them, so I try to give them the cultural exposure their textbooks don't.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7447 on: November 01, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »

Surprisingly, I've heard this has nothing to do with the inferiority complex.
Textbook publishers have a better shot of getting rich by getting MOE's to authorise the use of their textbooks when they fill it with nationalistic drivel.
The South Korean government, just like their comrades in the North, love Nationalism and filling their citizens with it. The more Nationalistic the people become, the easier they are to manipulate and the less likely they are to care when their overlords in government/Samsung get caught with their fingers in the cookie jar.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7448 on: November 01, 2017, 11:59:15 AM »

It's almost surreal.

I've taken classes in Arabic, French, German, Japanese, Mandarin, and Spanish, and not a single one of them included chapters about America. I had plenty of other classes in which to learn about my own country; my languages classes gave me the opportunity to learn about different cultures and new places.

I genuinely think the English books here are doing the students a disservice. Happily, I've often been given the opportunity to teach classes about whatever I feel like teaching them, so I try to give them the cultural exposure their textbooks don't.

Same! As much as the USA loves to shove its false sense of superiority down peoples throats, my language books were NOT ABOUT THE USA, unless it was to talk about the Spanish speaking communities within the U.S.

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7449 on: November 01, 2017, 12:00:24 PM »

I like the idea and I wish I could do that, but my co is a complete control freak. She sits right next to me in the office and asks what I've found/made/working on every day. There's absolutely no way she'd ever allow any activity into the classroom that she didn't completely understand and pre-approve, and change parts of. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

That's awful. In that case, there's really not much you can do about it. I've worked with people exactly like that and they want to micromanage everything, and approve or deny everything, but only after you've dumped lots of time into it. It's seriously not efficient and teachers like that are the worst. If they want to lead it, they should be giving you very clear instructions on what they want, and if they don't want to lead it and contribute to the materials, then they shouldn't interfere with the materials that you've supplied.

In a perfect world.

Sorry to hear it.

My suggestion still applies if and when you start working with someone new, though.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7450 on: November 01, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »

Surprisingly, I've heard this has nothing to do with the inferiority complex.
Textbook publishers have a better shot of getting rich by getting MOE's to authorise the use of their textbooks when they fill it with nationalistic drivel.
The South Korean government, just like their comrades in the North, love Nationalism and filling their citizens with it. The more Nationalistic the people become, the easier they are to manipulate and the less likely they are to care when their overlords in government/Samsung get caught with their fingers in the cookie jar.

Yes, if you ask a Korean why they have to work insane hours of unpaid overtime just so their bosses and the owners of the company can get rich while people in other countries expect compensation for their work... they'll just reiterate some bogus excuse about Korean people being their country's most prized resource (that they are burning through) and how their company is a family (that doesnt care about making their REAL family suffer and would replace their ass quicker than a drop of a hat) and that Koreans care about loyalty (apparently loyalty is an abusive one way street here)

It's all the same, none of them have much of a differing opinion on the subject. The only thing that keeps them overworked and underpaid is the idea that it's an essential part of being Korean. It's like how Americans can't imagine the USA without guns. They've made it a part of the national identity so good luck ever getting that changed.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #7451 on: November 02, 2017, 10:32:34 AM »
Had this discussion years ago with my first CT when I was still working with a CT. She was a brand new teacher. She told me they get virtually no classroom management training and student teaching is like a week but it's not really student teaching, because I have seen it first hand in my high school. They come in for two weeks (high school) and spend most of the time observing senior teachers and then they teach one truncated lesson (20 mins) with the senior teacher in the room to control the students.
I actually feel sorry for Kteachers, their prep is lacking in the classroom management and child psychology areas.
It's always a privilege to witness my CT in action when it comes to discipline and the effectiveness of Korean teacher training. She teaches one class by herself and I sit in the next room. If you've ever visited Earth, you might've heard the noise her class makes. In an effort to combat this ear splitting raucous, she's turned to technology by plugging in the microphone and attempting to scream the lesson over the student's noise.

Not entirely dense, it took her 3 months to realize that this ultimately doubles the noise. So she's adopted the strategy of teaching the students to police each other by permitting them to shout the words "Be Quiet" at any noise violators. Now, we've got an English lesson of my CT shouting awkward Key Expressions through a speaker while 30 students are all attempting to scream "Be Quiet!" at their friends.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7452 on: November 02, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »
It's officially "Close the door!" season.

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #7453 on: November 02, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »

waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user 

I'd like to make a polite request that you stop this now.  It's gone on long enough I think.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #7454 on: November 02, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »
What is it with some women in the country sounding like a slightly higher pitched Vincent Price?

You can hear it sometimes with 앵~~~?

It's like a high pitched nasally whine.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #7455 on: November 02, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »

waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user 

I'd like to make a polite request that you stop this now.  It's gone on long enough I think.

Agreed. Very spammy too.
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7456 on: November 02, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »

Disagree.

It lets me know I should read it in the voice I made up for #theBasedOne; kind of like actor David Carradine’s.

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7457 on: November 02, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »
It's 2:44 in the afternoon and the weather is making it literally dark like evening. I hate it when that happens.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7458 on: November 02, 2017, 02:44:41 PM »
Saw three people on my facebook feed use the term 'adulting'.

F millennials are stupid. And to think our grandparents were storming Okinawa. Get over yourselves people.

Offline tanis62458

• Veteran
« Reply #7459 on: November 02, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »

Disagree.

It lets me know I should read it in the voice I made up for #theBasedOne; kind of like actor David Carradine’s.

i always read #thebasedone like it's bill from bill and ted's excellent adventure.  i don't know why....
:blank: