October 20, 2017, 01:27:29 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 523397 times)

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7420 on: September 08, 2017, 04:19:06 PM »
I wish my school would get whiteboards.

Thousands spent on ridiculous white floors, USB magnifying projectors (because they are useful for something) and touch screen overlays on the existing TVs, but they still wont change the main tool in the classroom.
Some of the boards are so bad that students can't see when something is written in white chalk.

GET.WHITEBOARDS.!!!!  :evil:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7421 on: September 08, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »
Yeah, a long time ago, I got told that it wasn't polite to speak English at lunch because not everyone can understand it.

Is it not also rude to socially exclude people with whom you're lunching :cry:

Haha. Everyone knows foreigners aren't people.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7422 on: September 08, 2017, 04:37:57 PM »
For some reason this annoyed me:  someone posted on FB asking how to use NEIS and the first (and only comment because for some reason the OP disabled comments after that point) response went in the direction of "It's not your job, it's your handler's job, if you mess up then it's your responsibility, all the terms are really technical, etc."

...I feel like NEIS isn't that hard to use, even if you're just memorizing the steps.  I have a cheat sheet that I keep updated every time I have to request something new.  And I'd much rather be able to personally keep track of how all my requests (business trips, vacation, etc.) are logged.  Also, the translations of each step seem accurate enough and always matched up with what my coT said so I don't feel like that's a big issue either. 

I dunno man.  Maybe I'm annoyed that the OP was being discouraged from taking responsibility.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7423 on: September 08, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
For some reason this annoyed me:  someone posted on FB asking how to use NEIS and the first (and only comment because for some reason the OP disabled comments after that point) response went in the direction of "It's not your job, it's your handler's job, if you mess up then it's your responsibility, all the terms are really technical, etc."

...I feel like NEIS isn't that hard to use, even if you're just memorizing the steps.  I have a cheat sheet that I keep updated every time I have to request something new.  And I'd much rather be able to personally keep track of how all my requests (business trips, vacation, etc.) are logged.  Also, the translations of each step seem accurate enough and always matched up with what my coT said so I don't feel like that's a big issue either. 

I dunno man.  Maybe I'm annoyed that the OP was being discouraged from taking responsibility.

It wasn't me but i asked this on my POE page and got fully shot down. Even by people who actually do their own NEIS work.

It's too hard. Just leave it to them.

It's not our jobs etc.  >:( >:( >:( :evil: :evil:

So despite asking, I still don't know how to do it.

Well how the F did they learn?

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7424 on: September 08, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »

The comment was likely from a handler who sees his/her control being eroded.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7425 on: September 08, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »
The comment was likely from a handler who sees his/her control being eroded.

It was a NET.   :lipsrsealed:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7426 on: September 08, 2017, 04:48:06 PM »

It wasn't me but i asked this on my POE page and got fully shot down. Even by people who actually do their own NEIS work.

It's too hard. Just leave it to them.

It's not our jobs etc.  >:( >:( >:( :evil: :evil:

So despite asking, I still don't know how to do it.

Well how the F did they learn?

The interesting thing is, in our group there's already a tutorial for how to do it so apparently the person commenting was unaware or didn't care.  The OP apparently found it after searching though, maybe that's why comments were closed. 

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7427 on: September 08, 2017, 04:51:31 PM »

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7428 on: September 08, 2017, 05:09:09 PM »
For a country that loves alcohol, people here sure don't know that much about it.

Someone tried to tell me that I shouldn't drink water while I'm drinking alcohol, or else it will make my hangover worse, and that alcohol is a great sleep-aid  :rolleyes: People who are dieting don't seem to care that alcohol has calories. People who go on about how they hate drugs and would never smoke a joint also don't seem to understand that alcohol is a drug that can be addictive, habit forming, and that alcohol negatively affects your body, short term and long term.

I mean, I like drinking! That's totally fine if people wish to partake, but how do the people I know who so spend much time/money on booze lack the basic knowledge of what it is...?

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7429 on: September 08, 2017, 05:19:08 PM »

People who say things like that are literally dumb. Not dumb because they don't understand NEIS - NEIS is kind of confusing without a cheat sheet and some practice. No, they're dumb because they're literally trusting every aspect of their leave, holiday, vacation, etc to another person. Another person who may or may not care enough to enter things properly, keep track of everything, and so on.

Why would you ever trust someone with all of that unless you were really, really completely brand new to working here?

That's like people who don't look at their pay slips.

In both cases, odds are that nobody's out to bone you on NEIS or on your paycheck, but human error does happen, and if you're not checking, you don't know what's the haps.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7430 on: September 08, 2017, 05:22:41 PM »
For a country that loves alcohol, people here sure don't know that much about it.

Someone tried to tell me that I shouldn't drink water while I'm drinking alcohol, or else it will make my hangover worse, and that alcohol is a great sleep-aid  :rolleyes: People who are dieting don't seem to care that alcohol has calories. People who go on about how they hate drugs and would never smoke a joint also don't seem to understand that alcohol is a drug that can be addictive, habit forming, and that alcohol negatively affects your body, short term and long term.

I mean, I like drinking! That's totally fine if people wish to partake, but how do the people I know who so spend much time/money on booze lack the basic knowledge of what it is...?

How do people spend so much of their life eating and not know about basic nutrition? Or how do people live without knowing basic biology? You'd be shocked by how absolutely unmotivated some people can be to learn anything.

That water thing is weird. Never heard that. But yeah, nobody seems to get that alcohol is liquid calorie juice. For a place that's as preoccupied with being thin as Korea, why does literally nowhere have diet Coke or Coke Zero at bars? And bars never have sparkling water or club soda, either. It's ridiculous.

Peeps be dumb.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #7431 on: September 08, 2017, 05:23:47 PM »

I had someone tell me that drinking water with booze will make you drunk faster.

..............................dilution, no? That's why we cut straight vodka with distilled water until it reaches 40% ABV. Same in your stomach.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7432 on: September 08, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »

i have basic proficiency in NEIS and yes it isn't very hard to use.

begs the question as to why the korean teachers who are responsible for our NEIS stuff treat it as if it's some huge inconvenience in their lives. less than 5 minutes to put in a business trip or something.

but anyway, it's fine for me and you because we both understand a decent amount of korean. the problem is that if the NEIS work is passed off to the NET then it creates the expectation that all subsequent NETs at that school should be able to do it. imagine a person fresh off the boat who can't even read hangeul trying to fumble around the system. it would be disastrous. then when they ask for help there'll be sighs, and moans, and grumbles about how the new NET can't do anything, and how Yirj teacher could do her NEIS with no problems so why can't the new NET.

the actual NEIS training manual for the korean teachers is like the size of War and Peace or something ridiculous.

i think it's better that the korean teachers have the expectation that they are responsible for doing the NET's NEIS stuff, will cause less problems in general.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7433 on: September 08, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »

How do people spend so much of their life eating and not know about basic nutrition? Or how do people live without knowing basic biology? You'd be shocked by how absolutely unmotivated some people can be to learn anything.

That water thing is weird. Never heard that. But yeah, nobody seems to get that alcohol is liquid calorie juice. For a place that's as preoccupied with being thin as Korea, why does literally nowhere have diet Coke or Coke Zero at bars? And bars never have sparkling water or club soda, either. It's ridiculous.

Peeps be dumb.

The food thing I can kindddd of understand because there is a LOT of bunk science out there, diet fads and dishonest people willing to promote misinformation to make money. The debate between sugars & fats in the US involved one industry trying to demonize the other. Government and economic interests shaped what I learned/didn't learn about food growing up.

Not to mention a lot of people don't know much about nutrition because a lot of people just don't care that much about food. They rarely stop to think about what they are eating as long as it is fast cheap and easy. But the people who are interested in food for cooking or health or whatever will take the time to learn at least basic information, in my experience.

So if you practically worship the soju bottle to the point where it is listed under your "hobbies" and is a part of your national identity, how is the only info you know about alcohol basically old wives' tale BS?? Did no one ever wake up from a night of vomiting in the streets with a massive hangover finally decide to naver search what alcohol actually does to you?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7434 on: September 08, 2017, 05:58:42 PM »

i have basic proficiency in NEIS and yes it isn't very hard to use.

begs the question as to why the korean teachers who are responsible for our NEIS stuff treat it as if it's some huge inconvenience in their lives. less than 5 minutes to put in a business trip or something.

but anyway, it's fine for me and you because we both understand a decent amount of korean. the problem is that if the NEIS work is passed off to the NET then it creates the expectation that all subsequent NETs at that school should be able to do it. imagine a person fresh off the boat who can't even read hangeul trying to fumble around the system. it would be disastrous. then when they ask for help there'll be sighs, and moans, and grumbles about how the new NET can't do anything, and how Yirj teacher could do her NEIS with no problems so why can't the new NET.

the actual NEIS training manual for the korean teachers is like the size of War and Peace or something ridiculous.

i think it's better that the korean teachers have the expectation that they are responsible for doing the NET's NEIS stuff, will cause less problems in general.

Fair points.  For me though, especially in the beginning, I literally took photos of each step and just straight up memorized based on visuals.  Luckily my coT was nice and walked me through it and offered to double check until I got used to it.  I know there are people who got the short end of the stick and don't have helpful coTs.  So, it shouldn't be a big deal either way.  I think what irked me about that post was that it only offered one potential solution to the problem when there are clearly two distinct options. 

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7435 on: September 08, 2017, 06:03:07 PM »
The problem is that if the NEIS work is passed off to the NET then it creates the expectation that all subsequent NETs at that school should be able to do it. imagine a person fresh off the boat who can't even read hangeul trying to fumble around the system. it would be disastrous. then when they ask for help there'll be sighs, and moans, and grumbles about how the new NET can't do anything, and how Yirj teacher could do her NEIS with no problems so why can't the new NET.

This is totally okay with me. My goal in life is to be the next Camden.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7436 on: September 08, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
I have basic proficiency in NEIS and yes it isn't very hard to use.

I think they're also supposed to run any time off request by a NET through the P or VP. The liaison teacher's level of annoyance at your request may depend on how pleasant the people in these positions are to converse with.  At the very least, it requires them to get out of their chair and walk down and up at least one flight of stairs. Plus, if they didn't let you know that it was a huge inconvenience, you would have no idea how hard they work.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7437 on: September 08, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »

I think they're also supposed to run any time off request by a NET through the P or VP. The liaison teacher's level of annoyance at your request may depend on how pleasant the people in these positions are to converse with.  At the very least, it requires them to get out of their chair and walk down and up at least one flight of stairs. Plus, if they didn't let you know that it was a huge inconvenience, you would have no idea how hard they work.

any request for time off by anyone period needs to be approved by the P and/or VP. but that approval is done via the NEIS system. you have to enter the authorization chain on NEIS. there's no need to leave your seat at all.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7438 on: September 08, 2017, 06:08:35 PM »

I read that exact comment / thread on FB ;P
My co-teachers made me a cheatsheet on how to log my regular travel school visits, and it's not hard, but I still have no idea about vacation or sick days. I guess we'll cross that bridge when it comes. :P

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7439 on: September 08, 2017, 06:12:48 PM »

any request for time off by anyone period needs to be approved by the P and/or VP. but that approval is done via the NEIS system. you have to enter the authorization chain on NEIS. there's no need to leave your seat at all.

Well....my second point still stands. >:(

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment