October 20, 2017, 01:33:31 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 523412 times)

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #740 on: September 04, 2016, 12:20:11 AM »
Thank you.

Happy to help.

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #741 on: September 04, 2016, 12:21:19 AM »
Yangsan looks tiny. I doubt you're going to find bedsheets and pillow cases by walking around your neighbourhood. I lived somewhere significantly bigger and could only get stuff like that from the supermarket, which was a cab ride away. I was lucky that I knew other people in the same town who could point me in the direction of that kind of thing. Especially difficult for you with no phone or internet set up to check out maps.

It's not very nice of your co-teacher to make you feel like a burden on your first day in town, that's hardly the welcome anyone would want. Hopefully if you can find some other foreigners or maybe start your first day of school you can get better orientated and find all the things you need to settle.

Also Pecan, you're genuinely one of the most awful human beings I think I've ever encountered, and I've never even met you. You may as well just copy and paste the same default snide comment in every thread. Pointless, unhelpful bile seems to be the only thing you ever have to contribute.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:23:22 AM by DLJL »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #742 on: September 04, 2016, 02:59:36 AM »
Pecan, you seem like such an insightful and understanding fellow, I'm sure you must be really popular in the real world.

I did some research on pecans.

Pecan may live for more than 300 years. They are mostly self-incompatible
Well, waygook is stuck with him for a while.

Hollow tree trunks offer ideal storage of Pecan by humans and squirrels, alike.
Quarantine him?

Spanish explorers called the Pecan, nuez de la arruga, which roughly translates to "wrinkle nut"
F'in apt.

Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #743 on: September 04, 2016, 03:25:55 AM »
So I moved to my apartment yesterday in Habuk (Yangsan). After picking me up from the office of education and we headed to Yangsan, he kept telling me that he has two daughters at home and his wife is angry so he had to go home. I didn't get to the Immigration Bureau or the bank. Luckily I had told him I should buy groceries so he took me there. He didn't look too happy because he was such in a rush to go home. I realized after my co-teacher had left that my apartment did not have bedsheets, pillows or blankets. Thankfully my scarves were big enough to be used as my shower towel, my bedsheet and blanket. I didn't have wifi in my apartment so I walked to Paris Baquette and met an elderly Russian man whom I tried to speak to but he just cut me out. I am terribly lonely and although I know it's only the first few days here, I'm freaking out about how bad this could be. I just expected to be better taken cared of instead of just being tossed to figure everything out by myself. :(

Anyone in Habuk or has ever been in Habuk?
For your sake, I hope this a troll.

Imagine if you wanted to travel around Asia on your own, would you expect someone to hold your hand?

Rather than posting here, go out and explore your neighborhood, find what you need and buy it.

If you are being serious, I'm curious what preparations you took prior to arriving.

Your expectations aren't doing you any favors.

Pecan, you seem like such an insightful and understanding fellow, I'm sure you must be really popular in the real world.

Actually, Pecan has a point. When I first came here a decade ago, I was thrown into a hole in the wall with no blankets, pillows, washing machine, and no gas. At the time, I was so grateful to have a bed to lie down on. I didn't even have a working AC unit. This was late July. To top all that off, my luggage had been lost or misdirected, so I couldn't get my bags at the luggage pick up. Had to wait a few days before I got that. At that time, many teachers shared apartments and had to live with each other as all of my other co-workers did. I was just happy to have my own place.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #744 on: September 04, 2016, 10:53:50 AM »
Most people concern themselves with what/how to best pack when taking a trip, though often fail to realize that it is actually the expectations they "pack" with them that will have the greatest impact on the "success" of their journey.

The OP clearly stated that they had "expectations" of how it would go, which was/is the problem.

I don't know why anyone would "expect" to have a co-teacher take them around and buy them stuff or shop with them.  That's idiocy.

Feeling lonely?  If you were able to get on the airplane to travel here, you are just as able to hop on the next plane out if you don't have the strength or resolve to "enjoy" the personal struggles and triumphs of going it alone.

It's not like you are blazing some new trail, hundreds of thousands, millions have come before you long before there was the Internet at your fingertips; which is to say that some millennials suffer today from bad parenting via entitlement/narcissistic tendencies.

OP, if you were able to get wifi at PB to make your post, surely you are capable of much more.

I would highly recommend leavin your phone at home and going out and getting lost in the streets of Korea, to explore.

No matter where you go, there you are!  You can't run from yourself.

This journey isn't a mere discovery of the outside world, but of the inner journey of getting to know yourself.

Only you know what you are capable of, but I hope you don't give up too easily.

As for those making side commentary, I'm well aware that I don't have the best bedside-manner., so what?  I do my best to give it straight.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 10:55:42 AM by Pecan »

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #745 on: September 04, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »

I did some research on pecans.

Pecan may live for more than 300 years. They are mostly self-incompatible
Well, waygook is stuck with him for a while.

Hollow tree trunks offer ideal storage of Pecan by humans and squirrels, alike.
Quarantine him?

Spanish explorers called the Pecan, nuez de la arruga, which roughly translates to "wrinkle nut"
F'in apt.

:laugh:

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #746 on: September 04, 2016, 06:03:07 PM »
Most people concern themselves with what/how to best pack when taking a trip, though often fail to realize that it is actually the expectations they "pack" with them that will have the greatest impact on the "success" of their journey.

The OP clearly stated that they had "expectations" of how it would go, which was/is the problem.

I don't know why anyone would "expect" to have a co-teacher take them around and buy them stuff or shop with them.  That's idiocy.

Feeling lonely?  If you were able to get on the airplane to travel here, you are just as able to hop on the next plane out if you don't have the strength or resolve to "enjoy" the personal struggles and triumphs of going it alone.

It's not like you are blazing some new trail, hundreds of thousands, millions have come before you long before there was the Internet at your fingertips; which is to say that some millennials suffer today from bad parenting via entitlement/narcissistic tendencies.

OP, if you were able to get wifi at PB to make your post, surely you are capable of much more.

I would highly recommend leavin your phone at home and going out and getting lost in the streets of Korea, to explore.

No matter where you go, there you are!  You can't run from yourself.

This journey isn't a mere discovery of the outside world, but of the inner journey of getting to know yourself.

Only you know what you are capable of, but I hope you don't give up too easily.

As for those making side commentary, I'm well aware that I don't have the best bedside-manner., so what?  I do my best to give it straight.

It's called having a bit of compassion or understanding for those that may be struggling. Instead of just listing all the reasons why someone's struggles might be their own fault. Does that really make you many friends in the real world? It's a shitty way to be.

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #747 on: September 04, 2016, 06:16:31 PM »
Honestly, trolling or being genuine, if you can read someone saying how they feel terribly lonely and seem to be struggling and all that comes to mind is a snide comment advising them to get back on a plane and go home because they aren't strong enough, what an absolute piece of shit of a person you'd have to be.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #748 on: September 04, 2016, 07:29:29 PM »
To be clear, there is nothing wrong with the OP feeling lonely.  It's just an odd and unrelatable emotion to have after just getting off the airplane.

As for stating the obvious, in flights going both ways, sometimes people can't see the forest for the trees and get overwhelmed and blinded by their predicament.

Reminding the OP that one can always leave was given as comfort that this situation can be easily remedied.

I hope the OP embraces and begins to enjoy the struggles and challenges ahead.

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #749 on: September 05, 2016, 12:14:23 AM »
Reminding the OP that one can always leave was given as comfort that this situation can be easily remedied.

"Feeling lonely?  If you were able to get on the airplane to travel here, you are just as able to hop on the next plane out if you don't have the strength or resolve to "enjoy" the personal struggles and triumphs of going it alone."

You're a deeply unpleasant individual.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #750 on: September 05, 2016, 12:42:45 AM »
any comments that target other users will be deleted, as will hateful remarks, and repeat offenders will quickly be deleted and banned.

Perhaps the mods are busy, but I'm not sure why the above user is allowed to repeatedly stock and harass.

To be clear, I have ZERO interest in others opinions or side-commentary on my posts (not sure where anyone would get the idea that I ever gave a toss).

If you don't have any constructive advice for the OP, move along.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #751 on: September 05, 2016, 01:11:07 AM »
The mods will come soon and break this up. So, my advice is to have it out with each other, in the most inhumane way possible. There are plenty of popcorn eaters here and considering all movies in the theater suck, we look to you, mere posters, to solve our entertainment problems. I say goodbye now because I will probably get banned for this post.

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #752 on: September 05, 2016, 02:32:01 AM »
It's not harassment Pecan it's just honest criticism of a shitty unhelpful post, which is for reasons I'll never be able to explain, pretty much the only response you have to any given topic.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #753 on: September 05, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »
So I moved to my apartment yesterday in Habuk (Yangsan). After picking me up from the office of education and we headed to Yangsan, he kept telling me that he has two daughters at home and his wife is angry so he had to go home. I didn't get to the Immigration Bureau or the bank. Luckily I had told him I should buy groceries so he took me there. He didn't look too happy because he was such in a rush to go home. I realized after my co-teacher had left that my apartment did not have bedsheets, pillows or blankets. Thankfully my scarves were big enough to be used as my shower towel, my bedsheet and blanket. I didn't have wifi in my apartment so I walked to Paris Baquette and met an elderly Russian man whom I tried to speak to but he just cut me out. I am terribly lonely and although I know it's only the first few days here, I'm freaking out about how bad this could be. I just expected to be better taken cared of instead of just being tossed to figure everything out by myself. :(

Hopefully I can offer somewhat more helpful advice!

I can understand feeling a bit let down by the crappy care provided by your new coworker... especially considering that introducing the NET to their new home and ensuring that they're settled is actually a duty that the NET handler is explicitly responsible for.
Sucks that the dude wanted to be home with his family, but if he didn't want to bothered on weekends, he should never have let the more senior teachers saddle him with the job.  :wink:

In so far as sheets and blankets go, they're ridiculously hard to find, and expensive to boot. You might have better luck buying one of those thin mattress cover blankets. Pillows and pillow covers are a bit more ubiquitous: many mid/large sized grocery stores will have them tucked way somewhere.

As for the loneliness... focus on the adventure! Strangeness is just an invitation to go exploring! Make the effort to go out and experience new things things, and you'll be endlessly amused.

Best of luck, and hopefully we'll see more of your posts in the Happy/Rave thread than in the  Rant/Whinge one!  :smiley:

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #754 on: September 05, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »

Hopefully I can offer somewhat more helpful advice!

I can understand feeling a bit let down by the crappy care provided by your new coworker... especially considering that introducing the NET to their new home and ensuring that they're settled is actually a duty that the NET handler is explicitly responsible for.
Sucks that the dude wanted to be home with his family, but if he didn't want to bothered on weekends, he should never have let the more senior teachers saddle him with the job.  :wink:

In so far as sheets and blankets go, they're ridiculously hard to find, and expensive to boot. You might have better luck buying one of those thin mattress cover blankets. Pillows and pillow covers are a bit more ubiquitous: many mid/large sized grocery stores will have them tucked way somewhere.

As for the loneliness... focus on the adventure! Strangeness is just an invitation to go exploring! Make the effort to go out and experience new things things, and you'll be endlessly amused.

Best of luck, and hopefully we'll see more of your posts in the Happy/Rave thread than in the  Rant/Whinge one!  :smiley:

I don't mean to butt in and be like "You're wrong!"  :laugh:  but every supermarket / department store I've been to has sheets and blankets, so it really must depend where you live. They can be expensive though but not too bad. OP just find the biggest store near you and you should find something   :azn:

Also OP when you get to school, ask them about that sort of thing, they might have a budget to buy you things.

Just saw where you live and its a bit rural but good luck! There should be a big ish store somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:03:50 AM by Jennipennypie »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #755 on: September 05, 2016, 12:43:38 PM »
Maybe it's partially due to the heat but I think I'm already burnt out on teaching elementary. It's just so, so, repetitive. My coT always makes a point of telling me to save the materials to the computer and to print her copies of the materials and lesson plan-- because I totally haven't been doing that for nearly the past year.   :rolleyes:  :evil: Like, woman! I know! Do you just like to hear yourself talk??

Middle school is a lot more fun, at least.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #756 on: September 05, 2016, 12:48:16 PM »
Maybe it's partially due to the heat but I think I'm already burnt out on teaching elementary. It's just so, so, repetitive. My coT always makes a point of telling me to save the materials to the computer and to print her copies of the materials and lesson plan-- because I totally haven't been doing that for nearly the past year.   :rolleyes:  :evil: Like, woman! I know! Do you just like to hear yourself talk??

I normally teach middle, and they had me do a week of elementary.  I was bored out of my damn mind.  You just stand there and watch as the kids tape shit together.  It's so sloooow.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #757 on: September 05, 2016, 01:00:50 PM »

In what way is middle school more fun? Just curious. I teach 6th grade and have a blast, but when students return for Teacher's Day or whatever other reason and I happen to see them, they almost invariably say they hate middle school. Maybe it's just "something you say" or they're trying to make me feel good by saying their time in my school was superior, but I do get the impression that middle school is when the fun stops and the mind-numbing test prep begins.  Not so for middle school English? At least in the native speaker's class?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:02:33 PM by donovan »

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #758 on: September 05, 2016, 01:03:29 PM »

In what way is middle school more fun? Just curious. I teach 6th grade and have a blast, but when students return for Teacher's Day or whatever other reason and I happen to see them, they almost invariably say they hate middle school. Maybe its just "something you say" or they're trying to make me feel good by saying their time in my school was superior, but I do get the impression that middle school is when the fun stops and the mind-numbing test prep begins.  Not so for middle school English? At least in the native speaker's class?

And staying longer at hagwons, sometimes until 10 p.m. during exam season.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #759 on: September 05, 2016, 01:13:57 PM »

I normally teach middle, and they had me do a week of elementary.  I was bored out of my damn mind.  You just stand there and watch as the kids tape shit together.  It's so sloooow.

I teach at 2 middles and an elementary. The elementary is my favourite by far. They give me the freedom to do whatever lessons I want, as they just want me for my exposure to a non-American accent. :P

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment