September 26, 2018, 04:37:30 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1098349 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #740 on: September 05, 2016, 12:02:45 PM »
They sell cotton jersey fitted sheets in Emarts. They're expensive, but worth it.

IKEA is where most of our sheets come from.  A good balance of low price and acceptable quality.
I didn't even think about Ikea! I did eventually find one some at Homeplus though.

donovan

« Reply #741 on: September 05, 2016, 12:04:23 PM »
As for all the testing-- I'm hella out in the country and a lot of my kids don't actually care about testing so they don't get stressed out about it. And for the few that do care, they tend to do pretty well anyway. Not too many of my kids go to hagwons since we're so rural, so that's one less thing on the stress list.
In one sense I'm glad students in the rural areas don't wring themselves out over tests or excessive hagwon attendance, but at the same time that's kind of disconcerting.  I wonder what that says about how they feel about their prospects beyond high school. I wonder what that means for their actual prospects out of high school. I wish the society itself were less competitive and offered alternative ways to get ahead, but if that's the only game in town and they're not playing, they've dropped out. Of course it is just middle school and high school might be a different story, but when you have a senior official from the Ministry of Education saying a majority of the population are "dogs and pigs" and calling Korea to "consolidate the class system because people are not all born equal," you have to wonder how much that ethos has pervaded the system as a whole.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #742 on: September 05, 2016, 12:06:35 PM »
I forgot to mention, I also only do grade 6. I actually wanted to make lessons based on the book. I'm not really creative enough to constantly think of a new topic every week that is useful and good. However, I have stumbled onto a method I plan to keep using going forward. It still needs a lot of tweaks at the moment though. I'm looking forward to going back to the elementary tomorrow, as the co-teacher there, actually gives me useful criticism to help me improve. :P

Ahhh see I would like that even more! I have grades 3 - 6 for elementary and then all 3 grades of middle school. I feel spread pretty thin to be honest but I know some teachers even teach high school on top of elem. & middle. I even know of a teacher who taught at 5 schools!  :huh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #743 on: September 05, 2016, 12:10:07 PM »
As for all the testing-- I'm hella out in the country and a lot of my kids don't actually care about testing so they don't get stressed out about it. And for the few that do care, they tend to do pretty well anyway. Not too many of my kids go to hagwons since we're so rural, so that's one less thing on the stress list.
In one sense I'm glad students in the rural areas don't wring themselves out over tests or excessive hagwon attendance, but at the same time that's kind of disconcerting.  I wonder what that says about how they feel about their prospects beyond high school. I wonder what that means for their actual prospects out of high school. I wish the society itself were less competitive and offered alternative ways to get ahead, but if that's the only game in town and they're not playing, they've dropped out. Of course it is just middle school and high school might be a different story, but when you have a senior official from the Ministry of Education saying a majority of the population are "dogs and pigs" and calling Korea to "consolidate the class system because people are not all born equal," you have to wonder how much that ethos has pervaded the system as a whole.

Right? I'm happy they're enjoying more time to be just kids but at the same time... those points you mention. In spite of that, I find I don't worry about most of them. I feel like most of them will be okay.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #744 on: September 05, 2016, 12:10:58 PM »
They sell cotton jersey fitted sheets in Emarts. They're expensive, but worth it.

IKEA is where most of our sheets come from.  A good balance of low price and acceptable quality.
I didn't even think about Ikea! I did eventually find one some at Homeplus though.

Guys, Rant! Vent! Tell me what you really think about bedsheets and comforters.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #745 on: September 05, 2016, 12:13:06 PM »

ahahha, that's what I was thinking. It's turning into a bedding chat. It's a ranting thread, not a thread count thread.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #746 on: September 05, 2016, 12:16:30 PM »

ahahha, that's what I was thinking. It's turning into a bedding chat. It's a ranting thread, not a thread count thread.

Re-read my post.  "Acceptable" was meant as faint praise.  :laugh:

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #747 on: September 05, 2016, 12:19:21 PM »
Not a rant or a vent, but its not about sheets either.

I feel like all my friends are leaving. I guess I have hit that point where people go. In the last year, 7 of my friends have left, and by next semester, 4 more will leave. I'm starting to get really bummed out.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #748 on: September 05, 2016, 12:23:12 PM »

I feel like all my friends are leaving. I guess I have hit that point where people go. In the last year, 7 of my friends have left, and by next semester, 4 more will leave. I'm starting to get really bummed out.

That's better, HaLo. That's more rant-like.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #749 on: September 05, 2016, 12:31:19 PM »

It sucks to watch your friends go, but it's an opportunity to make new friends. I don't know about you, but I didn't come all the way to Korea to hang with the same people for the rest of my life.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #750 on: September 05, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »

My orientation was tiny and I think only half are renewing. I might know like 7 teachers next year, lol.

Offline kimchi_mandu

• Veteran
« Reply #751 on: September 05, 2016, 12:36:15 PM »

It sucks to watch your friends go, but it's an opportunity to make new friends. I don't know about you, but I didn't come all the way to Korea to hang with the same people for the rest of my life.

It does become exhausting after a few years though, constantly saying goodbye to people you've made real bonds with. I personally like to have few, really close friends, than loads of people I don't know so well. I've always been like that though.

Anyways I feel you Halo3, my closest friend here had to suddenly leave and I'm feeling a bit lost now. Guess it's time to go out and find new people...again.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #752 on: September 05, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »

That's better, HaLo. That's more rant-like.
Happy to oblige.

Nothing wrong with keeping the same friends that you really click with. That being said, I'm trying to work on making new friends and meeting new people, but I feel out of practice since I left college.

My orientation was tiny and I think only half are renewing. I might know like 7 teachers next year, lol.
Haha yeah, after this semester, not counting my bf, I think I'll have like 4 or 5 friends left.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #753 on: September 05, 2016, 12:40:31 PM »
Come on guys, what is this, a feel-good convention? Where's the  :evil:?

Offline waygook2016

• Waygookin
« Reply #754 on: September 05, 2016, 12:45:03 PM »

I WISH MY COWORKERS WOULD STOP SANDWICH-SHAMING ME.

And yes, that's a thing.

Sorry I don't want your kimchi. Or your boiled egg. Or whatever other nonsense you put on my desk this morning. I didn't mean to insult your ancestors or whatever.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #755 on: September 05, 2016, 12:46:27 PM »

And yes, that's a thing.

Sorry I don't want your kimchi. Or your boiled egg. Or whatever other nonsense you put on my desk this morning. I didn't mean to insult your ancestors or whatever.
Offer them a bite.

:)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #756 on: September 05, 2016, 12:48:15 PM »

♫ If you're happy and you know it, get the **** out ♫ :azn:

HaLo3, I know what you mean. This is only my third year, but every semester except the first I've had to say goodbye to one or two friends. I don't typically hang out with lots of people to begin with so those one or two felt like five. I just said goodbye to another friend three weeks ago and it's tough. This is my last semester so I've decided not to meet anymore people. How much longer do you plan on staying in Korea?

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #757 on: September 05, 2016, 12:49:40 PM »

And yes, that's a thing.

Alright! That's more like it!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #758 on: September 05, 2016, 12:52:22 PM »
In terms of rants: My darn 3rd grade middle schoolers. I set up a searching game where they had to go around the classroom and find parts of stories that were hidden. I told them 4 times to not move any papers they found. One of the teams found the paper by the window and ripped it off and threw it outside, to the road 3 floors down.  :rolleyes:

♫ If you're happy and you know it, get the **** out ♫ :azn:

HaLo3, I know what you mean. This is only my third year, but every semester except the first I've had to say goodbye to one or two friends. I don't typically hang out with lots of people to begin with so those one or two felt like five. I just said goodbye to another friend three weeks ago and it's tough. This is my last semester so I've decided not to meet anymore people. How much longer do you plan on staying in Korea?
At this point, unknown. I know I'm not staying at this school for another year, thinking about studying though. I'm not entirely ready to go home, and that is in part because of my bf.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:56:03 PM by HaLo3 »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #759 on: September 05, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »
I've complained about Mr Baek restaurants before (In summary, he takes over neighbourhoods with his bazillion restos and puts his god damn face on everything. That said, I don't hate him personally fwiw).

So, I text my girlfriend,  :afro: "Hey, what's for dinner?" She works from home and makes dinner most days.

:-* "Hmmmmm, I think Japanese 부타동."

:afro: thinking *what the hell is that?*

So, I google the food and lo and behold, who's there to greet me in the second picture. This muthafucca.

:-* "It's a sign that you love him"

>:( >:( >:(

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free