December 11, 2017, 11:57:03 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 594313 times)

Online sunjung kim

• Newgookin
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7340 on: October 12, 2017, 02:46:52 PM »
I NEED TO GET TO 2 POSTS

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7341 on: October 12, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
I posed a little bit ago about how my nosy landlord contacted my CT about my water use and how it had gone up, probably due to having a guy showering a lot during the summer at my place.

Of course, people jumped in and accused me of having someone move in with me which was not the case at all. If my landlord thought I was living with someone, she was jumping to extremely hasty conclusions.

Now, my landlord has contacted my CT AGAIN about the water "issue" and this time guess what... no boyfriend!!

The only thing I can think of is that I've added an extra step - more exfoliation - to my shower routine. This woman must be incredibly anal about watching the water usage for my room. Maybe she contacts everyone about little things, but it's really annoying me (and probably my CT too.)

I also don't want my CT thinking something weird is going on because my landlord keeps contacting her.

Offline Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #7342 on: October 13, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »
grrrrr. Today my vp had to sit in for my first 2 classes because my coteacher had an issue with his leg and had to see a doctor. I got scolded for drinking hot chocolate in front of the kids..... I'm like.... really? It is just hot chocolate....

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7343 on: October 13, 2017, 01:32:23 PM »
grrrrr. Today my vp had to sit in for my first 2 classes because my coteacher had an issue with his leg and had to see a doctor. I got scolded for drinking hot chocolate in front of the kids..... I'm like.... really? It is just hot chocolate....
i had an open class years ago, and the principal's sole complaint/feedback was that i was sipping water during class (mid-summer!)  :rolleyes:

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7344 on: October 13, 2017, 02:29:10 PM »
Was it distracting?

I mean, if none of your students made a comment, I can understand your rant/vent.  However, I can only imagine if I or others were to do the same the kids would be screaming/whining about wanting hot chocolate, which detracts from the lesson.

Regardless, it IS poor form.

Water is OK...not constantly sipping it, like a bad habit/tick, but a couple times at opportune moments would be OK, especially if you had a sore throat.

That said, your vp is right.

Offline Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #7345 on: October 13, 2017, 02:36:17 PM »
None of my students made a comment about it.

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7346 on: October 13, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
i drink coffee during class sometimes. the conversation always goes like this

student: teacher, coffee?
me: yes. do you like coffee?
student: yes
me: ok

in fact, most homeroom teachers used to make me tea/coffee when i was teaching their class. poor form? give it a rest, pecan

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7347 on: October 13, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »
i had an open class years ago, and the principal's sole complaint/feedback was that i was sipping water during class (mid-summer!)  :rolleyes:

no doubt in a 35 degree room without aircon, because the principal is too cheap to turn it on outside of 3-4 weeks a year.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7348 on: October 13, 2017, 03:12:59 PM »
I drink tea and coffee during my classes all the time. I even offer some to my coTs.

Never heard a word about it. I admit I'd get miffed if I did because wtf.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #7349 on: October 13, 2017, 03:25:49 PM »
I drink tea and coffee during my classes all the time. I even offer some to my coTs.

I was told not to drink coffee in front of the kids. Like, WTF. Teachers around the world, for centuries, have been doing this. It's part of being a teacher.

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7350 on: October 13, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »

no doubt in a 35 degree room without aircon, because the principal is too cheap to turn it on outside of 3-4 weeks a year.
brand new samsung aircon machines were installed, but no teachers were ever allowed to turn them on

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7351 on: October 13, 2017, 05:28:45 PM »
Teachers around the world, for centuries, have been doing this. It's part of being a teacher.
What country are you from?

In public schools in the U.S., there are either district-wide policies or they leave it to each school to draft an appropriate policy regarding beverages and snacks.

You can't just eat and drink what you want during class.

Yes, I know.  Korea is NOT the U.S., but here, rather than a written policy, each principal and/or vice principal will have a list of their do's and don't's.

The sooner you adopt them, the better.

The same can be said for some of the Korean co-teachers as well, and the same applies...learn and adopt.

Curious, those of you who dispense candy, etc., did you ask if it was OK first, and clear it with each homeroom teacher?

Enjoy your weekend.

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7352 on: October 13, 2017, 05:41:39 PM »
literally all of the subject teachers at all of the schools i worked at gave out occasional rewards. why would any homeroom teacher care? some of them even asked if they can have some, too

also, i'm from the uk and teachers would always drink tea//coffee during class. a lot would even have their own mini kettles (like many homeroom teachers do in korea)

you usually bang on about this "teacher's guidebook" for specific rules. doesn't it mention anything about drinking hot drinks in there?  :rolleyes:

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #7353 on: October 14, 2017, 06:40:16 PM »
I have been at my school for almost 3 years, longest I have been at any job in Korea. I have loved it, HOWEVER, this year for whatever reason the school calendar changed and it's screwing me over big time.

So, for past 7 years (at least, if not longer), my school has ended the school year at the end of December with no one returning until around February 18th (the first Monday of that week). So this being my last contract, because I want to change, I wanted to go see all of my family, some whom I haven't seen in over 10 years. I haven't seen my immediate family in 4 years. So from January 1st until February 18th would have been perfect to spend that quality time because I probably won't see them for another long stretch. Also, my parents who never ask anything of me and who are much older, have been asking me to come for an extended visit. But when I came back from summer vacation, I found that the school calendar had been revamped, that we were now going to do that stupid thing that elementary and middle schools do where we come in for 4 days in the middle of the break for NO FREAKING REASON. And since this is my last contract it's going to be difficult to convince them to let me out of it because it looks like I am trying to weasel out of the rest of my contract while still getting paid. I was prepared to complete my contract from Feb 18th to the end of the month, but this crap makes me want to punch someone. Also, we used to end school December 30/31st. But now school is ending a week later in January...WTH?!?
I am going to go bang my head now. I have never been homesick...but I miss my family and I'd like to see them and spend quality time with them.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #7354 on: October 14, 2017, 06:48:29 PM »
I also drink coffee all the time in front of my students. Obviously not while I am standing there instructing, but when they are doing a team activity and I am supervising and not talking or if I am sitting at my desk while they are writing essays. My students even wrote poems about my coffee addiction...lol. they think it's funny. My school doesn't give a rat's butt. Other KTs do it in their classes as well. It's the norm in my school. Anyway, I am the teacher that feeds their students...constantly...so my students never complain. I think Pecan either thinks every experience is universal or works in a strict, not nice school.
I also don't have CTs so what I do in my class is my business.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:50:35 PM by travelinpantsgirl »
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7355 on: October 15, 2017, 11:19:20 PM »
I literally only use Mr C's work and Taramurphys work. I haven't paid yet, but have formulated a plan to get around the "I can't pay" issue I am having, but Tara has already removed her work and if Mr C does the same then I truly couldn't be arsed to even try and make a plan.
I hear you.

As I've mentioned before Mr. C is one of the top two contributors with regards to quality of content and meeting the learning objectives.

The publishing company, Chunjae? needs to hire him to create a supplementary resource kit.
It's great to be appreciated. 

Right now, I'm working on how to share over at Spam.  By the end of the week I'll have to start sorting through what I can leave up here.  That will still be lot of stuff, but nothing with Mickey Mouse or Mr Bean or Pororo or what-have-you.

I just wanted to follow-up on this post.  I decided that the previously mentioned site wouldn't work for me long-term.  Some friends decided to band together and make a place for us with direct up/downloads, removing the need for Dropbox, etc.  it is free.  I will migrate my materials there.  It is spammy.org. 

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7356 on: October 16, 2017, 07:25:57 AM »
I literally only use Mr C's work and Taramurphys work. I haven't paid yet, but have formulated a plan to get around the "I can't pay" issue I am having, but Tara has already removed her work and if Mr C does the same then I truly couldn't be arsed to even try and make a plan.
I hear you.

As I've mentioned before Mr. C is one of the top two contributors with regards to quality of content and meeting the learning objectives.

The publishing company, Chunjae? needs to hire him to create a supplementary resource kit.
It's great to be appreciated. 

Right now, I'm working on how to share over at Spam.  By the end of the week I'll have to start sorting through what I can leave up here.  That will still be lot of stuff, but nothing with Mickey Mouse or Mr Bean or Pororo or what-have-you.

I just wanted to follow-up on this post.  I decided that the previously mentioned site wouldn't work for me long-term.  Some friends decided to band together and make a place for us with direct up/downloads, removing the need for Dropbox, etc.  it is free.  I will migrate my materials there.  It is spammy.org.

Yay! Thank you so much Mr C. I really find your material to be top notch!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7357 on: October 16, 2017, 07:41:15 AM »
literally all of the subject teachers at all of the schools i worked at gave out occasional rewards. why would any homeroom teacher care? some of them even asked if they can have some, too

also, i'm from the uk and teachers would always drink tea//coffee during class. a lot would even have their own mini kettles (like many homeroom teachers do in korea)

Absolutely harmless.  Protocol for some things, teachers drinking tea during class, no.  What about my students who have their bottles of water with a brown rice green tea bag in it, on their desk?  Same/Same and again harmless. 

Offline traversing

• Veteran
« Reply #7358 on: October 16, 2017, 07:45:23 AM »
Teachers around the world, for centuries, have been doing this. It's part of being a teacher.

In public schools in the U.S., there are either district-wide policies or they leave it to each school to draft an appropriate policy regarding beverages and snacks.

Yeah, I don't know what part of the states you're from but from my 13 years (including K) attending public schools there and even during my 4 years of university teachers often drank tea, coffee, water when they felt like it. It's perfectly normal/acceptable and no one cares. Not the teachers, not the principals, and not the students.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7359 on: October 16, 2017, 07:58:32 AM »

Yeah, I don't know what part of the states you're from but from my 13 years (including K) attending public schools there and even during my 4 years of university teachers often drank tea, coffee, water when they felt like it. It's perfectly normal/acceptable and no one cares. Not the teachers, not the principals, and not the students.
PNW.

Students spill.  Things get damaged.  Moreover, some smuggle alcohol into their drinks, which is one of the many reasons districts and schools have adopted comprehensive policies to address these problems with snacks and beverages during class time.