December 11, 2017, 11:52:56 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 594298 times)

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7240 on: September 27, 2017, 12:02:31 PM »
I used to like playing games with my students because it took up so much time, but these kids are such sore losers I don't enjoy it anymore.

If they lose, they become so demanding like it's their right to win. They scream for another round or to get a prize anyway. They whine like they're dying. My CT is nice enough to usually award the top 5 spots in a game, staggering the prizes (1st place gets 3 stickers - 5th place gets 1 sticker) and they still have the nerve to complain and demand more stickers.

I know they are just kids, but I hate to watch them getting away with this behavior. There will be another game next class and another after that. This is the only time in life they will ever be awarded for 5th place, but they are so ungrateful. They need to be taught to say thank you and try again next time. Again, I know they are children but I just don't like seeing this behavior unchecked. It's so entitled.

They're training to become Korea's SJW generation.

Pls take your agenda elsewhere. They're freakin' children.

Children being taught the same negative behaviours that led to America's 20-somethings becoming the disaster they are.

YAWN. So preoccupied with pushing an agenda you aren't even trying to make sense.

This has nothing to do with your SJW obsession. The notions of winning/losing gracefully and not being a sore loser were DRILLED into the heads of most American children. Losing gracefully just does not seem to be a thing here as all of my CTs have allowed students to show out after losing and when I bring up that maybe we should tell them to stop, they look at me like I'm freaking Agetha Trunchbull.

I'm all for not making children feel bad and letting them all get a chance to shine, but they need to learn some damn manners. Begging for stickers/candy is rude and ungrateful.

Yeah, it makes things kind of difficult in the classroom. One tries to make things interesting by playing a game, but it often ends up in tears. It's lose-lose. I could say they are coddled from birth which might explain their brattish behaviour, but that would just end up in yet another argument with the regulars.

I was forced to teach at two elementary schools this year even though my main school is a high school. The high school kids don't seem that different to the elem kids apart from the crying

I think this comes down to the school environment. I don't have any of these issues when I play game. The winner gets candy, the losers don't get anything. The end. If they say "teacher, again!" I say no and we move on.

Maybe the kids have come to always expect a prize? At my schools, I give candy infrequently, so sometimes when they play a game, they get candy and sometimes they don't. They've come to accept that they may not receive a prize, so winning a game doesn't get so life or death.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7241 on: September 27, 2017, 12:12:06 PM »
I guess I'm just speaking in particular for my students but it's not even the crying that gets me.

My students rarely cry, but when they do, I understand. A lot of the time they cry because they feel embarrassed or because they let their team down. A lot of kids also say mean shit during games and make others feel bad for screwing up. I can also tell they don't want to cry. Sometimes they do it quietly so no one notices. It can be annoying but I don't think that it's from poor parenting (for my students at least)

However my students get ANGRY when they don't win. They push their desks, yell, and slam their books. They show out and try to get attention. They whine and groan and honestly sound like they're in pain. It's ridiculous... and once a few students do it, it catches on and half the class is acting like the world is ending because they didn't win this round of BINGO. There aren't any tears, but they just do it because THEY WANT STICKERS AND THEY WANT THEM NOW.

If it were up to me, I'd cancel the game until they learned how to play with some manners. But, the K-teachers have different priorities I guess.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7242 on: September 27, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »
I guess I'm just speaking in particular for my students but it's not even the crying that gets me.

My students rarely cry, but when they do, I understand. A lot of the time they cry because they feel embarrassed or because they let their team down. A lot of kids also say mean shit during games and make others feel bad for screwing up. I can also tell they don't want to cry. Sometimes they do it quietly so no one notices. It can be annoying but I don't think that it's from poor parenting (for my students at least)

However my students get ANGRY when they don't win. They push their desks, yell, and slam their books. They show out and try to get attention. They whine and groan and honestly sound like they're in pain. It's ridiculous... and once a few students do it, it catches on and half the class is acting like the world is ending because they didn't win this round of BINGO. There aren't any tears, but they just do it because THEY WANT STICKERS AND THEY WANT THEM NOW.

If it were up to me, I'd cancel the game until they learned how to play with some manners. But, the K-teachers have different priorities I guess.

Seems the Korean teachers haven't instilled good manners in them. Hopefully, they'll go to a middle school where this attitude is discouraged.

Offline CJ

• Veteran
« Reply #7243 on: September 27, 2017, 12:22:04 PM »

Seems the Korean teachers haven't instilled good manners in them. Hopefully, they'll go to a middle school where this attitude is discouraged.

Should manners come from home or teachers?

I see shocking manners all of the time with my high school students. Not all of them, though.

It's interesting when you hear about some of the lives of one's students. Dad ran away so mum works as a norebang assistant, student X has to study very hard to support mum as she has no money has no money due to dad running off etc. When you hear some of these stories, it can make one a little more open minded when dealing with bad behaviour.

At least at high school, many teachers don't know how to discipline the students any more now that they can't hit them. The result is they are more and more like Western kids.

Bring back the STICK!!!

Online StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7244 on: September 27, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
I used to like playing games with my students because it took up so much time, but these kids are such sore losers I don't enjoy it anymore.

If they lose, they become so demanding like it's their right to win. They scream for another round or to get a prize anyway. They whine like they're dying. My CT is nice enough to usually award the top 5 spots in a game, staggering the prizes (1st place gets 3 stickers - 5th place gets 1 sticker) and they still have the nerve to complain and demand more stickers.

I know they are just kids, but I hate to watch them getting away with this behavior. There will be another game next class and another after that. This is the only time in life they will ever be awarded for 5th place, but they are so ungrateful. They need to be taught to say thank you and try again next time. Again, I know they are children but I just don't like seeing this behavior unchecked. It's so entitled.

Children being taught the same negative behaviours that led to America's 20-somethings becoming the disaster they are.

Pls take your agenda elsewhere. They're children. Stop trying to make some kind of statement.

I'm not blaming the poor innocent children. I'm blaming the adults who are teaching them weak values. Sevenpm talked about how entitled her students are, which reminded me of America's SJWs. They have similar attitudes and I'm worried that Korean kids will turn out that way too.

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #7245 on: September 27, 2017, 12:28:30 PM »
wasn't informed that lunch was an hour early today. I walked into the lunchroom and everything had been cleared up? Nice.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7246 on: September 27, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »

Pls take your agenda elsewhere. They're children. Stop trying to make some kind of statement.

I'm not blaming the poor innocent children. I'm blaming the adults who are teaching them weak values. Sevenpm talked about how entitled her students are, which reminded me of America's SJWs. They have similar attitudes and I'm worried that Korean kids will turn out that way too.

Pls take your agenda elsewhere. You are not worried about the kids at all. You are just trying to push your anti-SJW agenda. Grow up.

Online StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7247 on: September 27, 2017, 12:36:36 PM »

Pls take your agenda elsewhere. You are not worried about the kids at all. You are just trying to push your anti-SJW agenda. Grow up.

I'm worried for everyone.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7248 on: September 27, 2017, 12:36:38 PM »
wasn't informed that lunch was an hour early today. I walked into the lunchroom and everything had been cleared up? Nice.

Nice.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7249 on: September 27, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
Should manners come from home or teachers?

I see shocking manners all of the time with my high school students. Not all of them, though.

It's interesting when you hear about some of the lives of one's students. Dad ran away so mum works as a norebang assistant, student X has to study very hard to support mum as she has no money has no money due to dad running off etc. When you hear some of these stories, it can make one a little more open minded when dealing with bad behaviour.

At least at high school, many teachers don't know how to discipline the students any more now that they can't hit them. The result is they are more and more like Western kids.

Bring back the STICK!!!

It begins at home, but it's reinforced and practiced outside the home, which comes from societal expectations. Schools must create and enforce rules and guidelines for the purpose of management, and the safety and well-being of other students, but most if not all of these rules are only mirroring generally accepted guidelines for appropriate behavior anyway.

Raising kids is the parents' responsibility, but, when living together in a society, it's also a community effort. It's part of establishing and reinforcing universal etiquette, because kids are still kids and will always try to test boundaries, even when being raised well. That's part of the raising/growing up process, and that's also why disciplinary actions and methods that reinforce accepted behavior and discourage inappropriate behavior are absolutely necessary where kids are involved, regardless of what parents are and aren't doing. It just promotes a better learning environment for both students and teachers, while a failure to establish and enforce boundaries can and does lead to major class management and personality development issues, both of which make everything harder for everyone -- just especially for teachers.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:30:13 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7250 on: September 27, 2017, 12:39:23 PM »

You worried that everyone won't believe exactly what you believe and make life comfortable for you. Get over yourself. Stop asking like you're the only voice of logic or reason.

Online StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7251 on: September 27, 2017, 12:42:52 PM »

Hey, you got out of eating Korean food. Buy a lotto ticket.

I only eat school lunch at my country school, where the 30 minute drive precludes going home for lunch. The new VP asked me if I liked bibimbap, which was our lunchtime 'treat', and seemed surprised when I unenthusiastically said "It's OK". I imagine she was expecting a wide-eyed "It's delicious!", but I've been here too long to pretend to be excited about a plate of rice and vegetables with one kind of sauce.

Online StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7252 on: September 27, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »

You worried that everyone won't believe exactly what you believe and make life comfortable for you. Get over yourself. Stop asking like you're the only voice of logic or reason.

Eh, my life is comfortable enough if I stay away from young western people. I have a nice apartment, nice car, easy job. It could be worse.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7253 on: September 27, 2017, 12:45:15 PM »

I only eat school lunch at my country school, where the 30 minute drive precludes going home for lunch. The new VP asked me if I liked bibimbap, which was our lunchtime 'treat', and seemed surprised when I unenthusiastically said "It's OK". I imagine she was expecting a wide-eyed "It's delicious!", but I've been here too long to pretend to be excited about a plate of rice and vegetables with one kind of sauce.

Lol how many sauces do you want on one food? Do you need some ranch and ketchup?

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7254 on: September 27, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »

Eh, my life is comfortable enough if I stay away from young western people. I have a nice apartment, nice car, easy job. It could be worse.

I think they're life is better if they're away from you, too. Good job containing your toxic ways.  ;D

Rant: As I grow close to the end of my time here, I have found that I have lost my ability to put up with stupidity. The older I get, they more I realize that a lot of dumb people have somehow coasted through life to positions of power.

I feel like a politics joke could be inserted here.

Online StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7255 on: September 27, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »

Lol how many sauces do you want on one food? Do you need some ranch and ketchup?

No, I'm not looking for tacky American 'cooking'.

Take a European pasta dish. You can expect stock, tomato paste, olive oil, various herbs, an acid such as lemon or balsamic, garlic and even a bit of butter. Bibimbap has gochujang. It's passable, but not anything to write a book about.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7256 on: September 27, 2017, 01:03:06 PM »

Take a European pasta dish. You can expect stock, tomato paste, olive oil, various herbs, an acid such as lemon or balsamic, garlic and even a bit of butter. Bibimbap has gochujang. It's passable, but not anything to write a book about.
Ew. Putting more than one type of sauce on a pasta dish would be a terrible idea.

Also yeah, bibimbap is a food that literally originated as a way for people to clear out their leftovers. Like, it's not supposed to be thought of as some haute cuisine. The people that promote it as such are trying a little too hard.

Offline DaStrongOne

• Adventurer
« Reply #7257 on: September 27, 2017, 01:08:19 PM »
Our office smells like chicken.

Oh wait... this is the ranting thread  :laugh:

Online StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7258 on: September 27, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »

Ew. Putting more than one type of sauce on a pasta dish would be a terrible idea.

Also yeah, bibimbap is a food that literally originated as a way for people to clear out their leftovers. Like, it's not supposed to be thought of as some haute cuisine. The people that promote it as such are trying a little too hard.

I think you missed my point about properly made pasta. You don't traditionally buy a pre-made sauce from the supermarket. You make a sauce using lots of different seasonings. Bibimbap's flavour is basically just fermented chilli. It's boring.

I should have been more specific by saying 'seasoning' instead of 'sauce'.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7259 on: September 27, 2017, 01:38:40 PM »

I think you missed my point about properly made pasta. You don't traditionally buy a pre-made sauce from the supermarket. You make a sauce using lots of different seasonings. Bibimbap's flavour is basically just fermented chilli. It's boring.

I should have been more specific by saying 'seasoning' instead of 'sauce'.

But pasta sauces from the supermarket also aren't as good as homemade ones. Kind of like gochujang. For gochujang, you don't traditionally buy a pre-made sauce from the supermarket. You make a sauce using lots of different ingredients. Unfortunately, a good gochujang is infinitely more difficult to make than a good pasta sauce, so a lot of the time, the supermarket is our only option.

Bibimbap is a super basic food that doesn't really deserve to be put on any sort of pedestal beyond being a satisfying and simple meal.

Gochujang, on the other hand, is one of the most difficult things to make in Korean food, and if you ever taste some made by someone who's been doing it for decades, you should be able to notice a much deeper flavour profile, as well as different notes depending on the ingredients, fermentation time, climate, etc.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:44:54 PM by #basedcowboyshirt »