December 12, 2017, 06:37:45 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 595651 times)

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7200 on: September 25, 2017, 01:19:14 PM »
4th graders rehearsing for the school play (Sound of Music... again!). Totally randomly, they start dancing and singing to Sir Mixalot's Baby Got Back. My CT has absolutely no idea what the song is about and little 4th grade kids have no idea what they're saying when they sing "I like big butts and I cannot lie"

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7201 on: September 25, 2017, 01:21:15 PM »
4th graders rehearsing for the school play (Sound of Music... again!). Totally randomly, they start dancing and singing to Sir Mixalot's Baby Got Back. My CT has absolutely no idea what the song is about and little 4th grade kids have no idea what they're saying when they sing "I like big butts and I cannot lie"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7202 on: September 25, 2017, 01:56:14 PM »

At least it's not 'Anaconda.'

Offline Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #7203 on: September 25, 2017, 02:05:55 PM »
Kriztee, hamburger helper is on coupang for like 3$ a box or less

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7204 on: September 25, 2017, 02:28:52 PM »
5 More sleeps til my mommy comes to visit (Aka is a pack mule for bringing me hamburger helper and robitussin) :D
My mom is coming too and bringing a bunch of stuff for me as well. I keep feeling like there's something I've forgotten to ask her to bring, but I guess it can't be terribly important if I can't remember it.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7205 on: September 25, 2017, 02:34:59 PM »

Yeah well, mommy charges me 0$ for it cuz I'm her precious only child so she babies me by buying me food and snacks :)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7206 on: September 25, 2017, 02:40:08 PM »

Yeah well, mommy charges me 0$ for it cuz I'm her precious only child so she babies me by buying me food and snacks :)

Hamburger Helper is good food.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7207 on: September 25, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »
So, not lot ago, I met this Korean girl I started liking, was going to ask her out, but she told me she fell for this other guy she met (online - never has met him in person). Gave her some advice, and she progressed with that guy. She started to tell me, in graphic detail, about all her intimate details dealings with this guy.

I told her politely, that I don't want to interact with her anymore, and explained why (liked her, I didn't want to hear about this other guy, and she'd always change the topic to her situation with him); She wasn't happy about it, but accepted it. However, she started contacting me again about it >.<
She's not being bad enough to warrant getting blocked, but I don't exactly want to hear about that stuff either. :\
#foreveralone

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7208 on: September 25, 2017, 02:54:15 PM »

Hamburger Helper is good food.

Chef Boyardee is my garbage of choice.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7209 on: September 25, 2017, 02:55:33 PM »
So, not lot ago, I met this Korean girl I started liking, was going to ask her out, but she told me she fell for this other guy she met (online - never has met him in person). Gave her some advice, and she progressed with that guy. She started to tell me, in graphic detail, about all her intimate details dealings with this guy.

I told her politely, that I don't want to interact with her anymore, and explained why (liked her, I didn't want to hear about this other guy, and she'd always change the topic to her situation with him); She wasn't happy about it, but accepted it. However, she started contacting me again about it >.<
She's not being bad enough to warrant getting blocked, but I don't exactly want to hear about that stuff either. :\
#foreveralone

Bruh, block her now.  She's a user who enjoys getting the attention from you without reciprocating in kind.  Gross. 

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7210 on: September 25, 2017, 02:57:09 PM »
My band has a gig at a university culture festival tomorrow, so I should practice for it when I get home from work. Unfortunately, my sinuses don't seem to have gotten the memo. I hope this splitting headache goes away sooner rather than later.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #7211 on: September 25, 2017, 03:02:07 PM »

Amen!
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7212 on: September 25, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »

#foreveralone

Bruh, block her now.  She's a user who enjoys getting the attention from you without reciprocating in kind.  Gross.

There is no other guy.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7213 on: September 25, 2017, 06:26:22 PM »
My band has a gig at a university culture festival tomorrow, so I should practice for it when I get home from work. Unfortunately, my sinuses don't seem to have gotten the memo. I hope this splitting headache goes away sooner rather than later.

You got the headaches too? I've had them for the last 2 days and blamed my massive new TV though now I'm starting to suspect the pollution.
What you play, brother? Guitar?

I've been struggling to find the discipline and motivation to practice these last few years. Before I came to Korea I could practice 4-5hrs a day, 365 days a year, no problem and with shitty gear. These days I've got a badass tube amp, nearly a dozen pedals and two dream guitars yet I can't manage to muster the willpower to do anything more than a bit of noodling every few days.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7214 on: September 25, 2017, 07:44:43 PM »
You got the headaches too? I've had them for the last 2 days and blamed my massive new TV though now I'm starting to suspect the pollution.

I always get crazy headaches during seasonal transition, when the temperature can't decide whether it wants to be warm or cool. The constant fluctuations just wreak havoc on my sinuses. I do suspect that the air quality has been exacerbating things this year, though.

I've been struggling to find the discipline and motivation to practice these last few years. Before I came to Korea I could practice 4-5hrs a day, 365 days a year, no problem and with shitty gear. These days I've got a badass tube amp, nearly a dozen pedals and two dream guitars yet I can't manage to muster the willpower to do anything more than a bit of noodling every few days.

Bass. I've been playing guitar since 1995, but after I'd been in Korea for two years I decided to make the jump over to bass, because I figured it'd increase my chances of finding bands to jam with. It worked out pretty nicely, and I've gone from playing with zero bands to playing gigs with five different bands over the past two and a half years. It turns out everybody and his brother plays guitar, but bassists are a bit harder to come by. Especially actual bassists, rather than just guitarists playing a bass with a pick like it's a guitar tuned an octave down, so I've been putting extra effort into being a "real" bassist, haha.

I do have an assortment of basses and guitars here that is... uh... way larger than it needs to be. Some might say I have a problem  :laugh:. I don't have an actual guitar amp anymore, because I'm content to just use my AxeFx 2 & headphones, but I've got a bass rig for those occasions a venue doesn't have house amps or doesn't want me playing DI into front of house. I have a small pedalboard, too, but it's pretty spartan because I take public transportation to and from most gigs and I don't want to have to lug too much crap around.

I just took delivery last Friday on a custom bass I ordered a year ago from a one-man shop in Scotland called ACG, so I'm pretty stoked to gig with it tomorrow. I've played it at a couple impromptu live jams in a local bar, but it'll be nice to see how it performs on a "real" stage through my own rig.

...Sorry, everyone else. Music/gear is one of a handful of topics that can get me rambling at the drop of a hat.  8)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7215 on: September 25, 2017, 08:27:08 PM »
...Sorry, everyone else. Music/gear is one of a handful of topics that can get me rambling at the drop of a hat.  8)

Please ramble further.  Especially about bass... I'm keen on picking one up when I migrate back home.  If you've got any tips for a beginner, I'm all ears.  I play violin but I'm tired of playing melody, haha.  Right now I'm researching inexpensive bass options for an amateur.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7216 on: September 25, 2017, 08:41:14 PM »

I always get crazy headaches during seasonal transition, when the temperature can't decide whether it wants to be warm or cool. The constant fluctuations just wreak havoc on my sinuses. I do suspect that the air quality has been exacerbating things this year, though.

Bass. I've been playing guitar since 1995, but after I'd been in Korea for two years I decided to make the jump over to bass, because I figured it'd increase my chances of finding bands to jam with. It worked out pretty nicely, and I've gone from playing with zero bands to playing gigs with five different bands over the past two and a half years. It turns out everybody and his brother plays guitar, but bassists are a bit harder to come by. Especially actual bassists, rather than just guitarists playing a bass with a pick like it's a guitar tuned an octave down, so I've been putting extra effort into being a "real" bassist, haha.

I do have an assortment of basses and guitars here that is... uh... way larger than it needs to be. Some might say I have a problem  :laugh:. I don't have an actual guitar amp anymore, because I'm content to just use my AxeFx 2 & headphones, but I've got a bass rig for those occasions a venue doesn't have house amps or doesn't want me playing DI into front of house. I have a small pedalboard, too, but it's pretty spartan because I take public transportation to and from most gigs and I don't want to have to lug too much crap around.

I just took delivery last Friday on a custom bass I ordered a year ago from a one-man shop in Scotland called ACG, so I'm pretty stoked to gig with it tomorrow. I've played it at a couple impromptu live jams in a local bar, but it'll be nice to see how it performs on a "real" stage through my own rig.

That's me, played bass just to create backing tracks, at least I always considered the tone of picking bass rather crappy and opted for fingers, though I'm definitely not a bassist by any stretch.

My gigging and band days are pretty much over, I'm content just to be a bedroom guitarist.
Looking back, an Axe FX might've been a smarter choice than a 50w HR Deluxe. Though I love the high headroom, especially since I'm a pedal whore, it's waaaaay too fragile and good God does the Fender support in Korea suck ass. My FX loop is busted and it occasionally switches channels, but I soldier on.

I've got 2 guitars, a Fender USA HSS strat and my custom Suhr Standard, I've never justified owning more as they're really versatile and I only go for high-end guitars, I might get a cheap acoustic though. My pedalboard is quite large, but I mainly stick to a few favourite pedals, particular my Fulldrive 2, Cathedral Reverb and Keeley modded crybaby.

I made sure to buy my gear before getting married, I can't get away with buying an Axe FX (when my amp eventually conks) or my final piece of dream gear (a Nord Electro 5d) any time soon.

I'm trying to get a routine together to finally master cliffs of dover and wonderful slippery thing, but the dedication just isn't there anymore. Let's see if I can set a goal to get my act together during Chuseok.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7217 on: September 25, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »

Please ramble further.  Especially about bass... I'm keen on picking one up when I migrate back home.  If you've got any tips for a beginner, I'm all ears.  I play violin but I'm tired of playing melody, haha.  Right now I'm researching inexpensive bass options for an amateur.

Well now there's a potential can of worms...

Understand right off the bat that "inexpensive" might mean something completely different to me than it does to you  :laugh:. When I see a $300 bass, I think "that's dirt cheap," but people who don't play might think "$300?!? It'd better be made of diamonds!"

Then again, you play the violin, and symphonic acoustic instruments tend to be several orders more expensive than electric instruments, so maybe my gear is chump change to you, haha.

Aaaaaanyway, I think one of the best companies to look at for a beginners bass is Squier, which is the import brand owned by Fender, pretty much the biggest name in the business. Their designs have been the industry standards for sixty years now, and there's good reason for that. You would be able to find cheaper stuff from other companies, but I'd seriously recommend paying a bit more if you can afford it.

The cheapest option before it gets into what I'd consider "too cheap" is probably a $199 Jazz bass from their Affinity series:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JazzAffSSLVR

Nothing too fancy, just all the features you need to get started. Jazz basses also have fairly slim necks compared to some other models, so that might be nice for you.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, I'd stay with the same brand, but go up to something from the Vintage Modified line. That line is very highly regarded in the bass community for bang-for-the-buck quality and performance, so I think you'd really be hard pressed to find something better at the $299 price point than something like this Vintage Modified Jazz bass:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassVMSQ3TS

You'd need an amp, too, of course, but honestly you don't need much of an amp for just noodling around at home and learning the instrument. Just a little thing with an 8" speaker and in the 15-25 watt range would more than suffice. Luckily there are plenty of options to go around from a number of well-known brands to choose from, like...

Ampeg ($99):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BA108V2

and Fender ($79):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rum15

I have to stress that you won't get gigging volume from that sort of amp, but it will be fine for the bedroom, and to help you decide if you like playing enough to stick with it and buy a bigger, nicer amp in the future.

Accessories you'd need would be:

A gig bag, like this one from the respected brand SKB ($45), or something similar from a brand like Gator or Fender:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SKBGB44

A tuner, which can be either one you plug in to, or one you just clip to the bass' head, like this one from Snark ($14):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SnarkClip1X

And of course, a guitar cable. I'd recommend getting one that's 10' long, and if you go with a Jazz bass, make sure to get one with a right angle jack to plug into the bass. Something like this one from D'Addario/Planet Waves ($10):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PWCGTRA10

So that'd be between $349 and $469, depending which bass and amp combo you go with. There are of course many, many other options to go with, but those are the sorts of things I'd look for, from brands I trust.

Sweetwater is a great company to order from, incidentally. Great customer service. If you aren't from the ol' US of A (I don't remember where you've said you're from), there are always stores/sites like Long & McQuade (Canada) and Andertons Music (UK) to browse, and the results should be similar. Can't help if you're an Aussie, Kiwi, or Saffa, though. I guess just check local stores/sites for the stuff I mentioned.  :laugh:

See? Told you I can ramble.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:34:17 PM by Mister Tim »

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7218 on: September 25, 2017, 09:28:51 PM »
My gigging and band days are pretty much over, I'm content just to be a bedroom guitarist.
Looking back, an Axe FX might've been a smarter choice than a 50w HR Deluxe. Though I love the high headroom, especially since I'm a pedal whore, it's waaaaay too fragile and good God does the Fender support in Korea suck ass. My FX loop is busted and it occasionally switches channels, but I soldier on.

The AxeFx is definitely a nice piece of kit. It isn't cheap, but it's a damned site cheaper than buying all of the amps, cabs, and effects I use it to emulate would be.  :laugh:
My bass amp is an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 head into a MarkBass 2x10 cab, and apart from the mismatched brands gnawing at my OCD, I really can't complain about the tone I get out of it, haha. For shows where I use a house amp or FOH, I bring a tiny pedalboard that I can clip to my gig bag, and its mainstays are an Aguilar bass compressor, Creation Audio Labs Grizzly (OD/Dist + tone shaping), and an MXR Bass preamp/DI. There's room on the board for one more pedal, which is either an MXR bass envelope filter or an Aguilar Fuzzistor, depending on what the gig calls for.

I've got 2 guitars, a Fender USA HSS strat and my custom Suhr Standard, I've never justified owning more as they're really versatile and I only go for high-end guitars, I might get a cheap acoustic though. My pedalboard is quite large, but I mainly stick to a few favourite pedals, particular my Fulldrive 2, Cathedral Reverb and Keeley modded crybaby.

In the interest of not bogging down the ranting thread too much more than I already have, I'll just mention a few of my main pieces, haha.

My main gigging basses are a Fender USA Tony Franklin signature fretless Precision 4 string and an ACG fanned-fret 6 string. I used the former for the blues rock band I'm in, and the latter for the jazz band I was playing with for a while until that split up recently. I'm hoping the ACG 5 string custom I mentioned earlier will be able to take the place of both of them live, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

Guitar-wise, the most recent one I picked up was a Gibson SG Standard in ebony, which I got as a 3 Years Sober present and because I've wanted one since I was fifteen, haha. The other one I'm most likely to grab is my Ibanez Tosin Abasi 8 string (the Indonesian one, not the Japanese Sugi Custom Shop made one. I'm not made of money  :laugh:), because deep down I'll always be a metalhead, no matter how many blues rock bar gigs I play. I gotta have something tuned looooooow, and since my baritone Gibson Buckethead siggie Les Paul is currently in E standard, the Ibanez gets the nod. There's plenty more, but I've blabbered enough.  :blank:

I made sure to buy my gear before getting married, I can't get away with buying an Axe FX (when my amp eventually conks) or my final piece of dream gear (a Nord Electro 5d) any time soon.

That's what you get for getting married. I've found being completely unappealing to the opposite sex is a great way to save money for all the fancy gear I want.

I'm trying to get a routine together to finally master cliffs of dover and wonderful slippery thing, but the dedication just isn't there anymore. Let's see if I can set a goal to get my act together during Chuseok.

Honestly, it's being in a band that gets me practicing more than anything. I rarely pick up a guitar or bass just to fart around or work on my chops, but I regularly pick up a bass to run through my set lists to keep the rust off, or to learn new material when I'm tasked with learning it. That doesn't have me improving my skills in leaps and bounds or anything, but I'm moving right along and having a decent time while I'm at it. You should try finding some guys to jam with, even it it isn't going to go anywhere or isn't super challenging or your ideal genre. Just getting out there and playing is rewarding itself.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:31:26 PM by Mister Tim »

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #7219 on: September 25, 2017, 09:44:42 PM »
I've found being completely unappealing to the opposite sex is a great way to save money for all the fancy gear I want.