September 25, 2017, 06:54:23 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 490396 times)

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #720 on: September 02, 2016, 01:49:22 AM »
Hoooooly shit I had a terrible first day at the job. Let me just vent everything here. Some background info about me first. I'm a 20 year old Korean american student that moved to Korea recently from US. I got hired by a Hagwon nearby and as I said, it was my first day teaching today. I can understand korean little bit but I can't speak korean well.

First class was pop song class and I admit I wasn't very well prepared but the students couldn't understand the song at all (Skyfall by Adele. I chose a slow song on purpose). I wrote the lyrics on the board and tried to explain but half the class was me trying to explain english words in korean and hand motions. I doubt they learned anything from this class at all. They looked at me like this the whole time  :huh:. This was elementary school level

Second class I was a bit more prepared so I did okay I think. This time I was with middle school students. The song was Happy by Pharrell Williams and I made a fill in the blank in lyrics work sheet. The song was too fast for them so after letting them listen to the song 2 times and filling as much as they can, I just went over the answers. I had some time left so I decided to discuss the meaning of the song but they didn't understand that at all.

Third class was reading class (middle school). I liked this much more since it's more like following the instructions rather than coming up with your own stuff. Anyways, I just read out loud and told them to repeat after me. I asked them questions about the story after reading a paragraph or two. It was mostly one student answering all the questions though  :lipsrsealed:. I told her to let the other students answer but they had more trouble answering my questions. At the end of the class I told them to summarize what we read so far to me but they didn't understand that at all. I don't think they understood the story much

What I observed was that they have pretty good reading comprehension but they have pretty bad listening comprehension and speaking skills. I suspect this is due to Korea focusing on vocabulary and reading and neglect listening and speaking. This is hard for me since I have to speak in English. How can I teach anything when they don't even understand what I'm saying. I felt so ****** incompetent and I'm tired as ****. Any tips would be appreciated.  :sad:

WELCOME TO KOREA! LOLOLOLOL

Just push through it. Lower your expectations and don't expect to make huge changes.

The system in place here for learning English is broken. 

Offline katsuya245126

• Adventurer
« Reply #721 on: September 02, 2016, 02:17:25 AM »
Hoooooly ... snip

Just push through it. Lower your expectations and don't expect to make huge changes.

I've realized they only study for exams and don't really pay much attention to something that's not exam related. I know I shouldn't expect to make huge changes but I really hate feeling incompetent so I at least want to be able to communicate and explain things to them.  :undecided:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #722 on: September 02, 2016, 10:10:44 AM »

First class was pop song class and I admit I wasn't very well prepared but the students couldn't understand the song at all (Skyfall by Adele. I chose a slow song on purpose). I wrote the lyrics on the board and tried to explain but half the class was me trying to explain english words in korean and hand motions. I doubt they learned anything from this class at all. They looked at me like this the whole time  :huh:. This was elementary school level

Second class I was a bit more prepared so I did okay I think. This time I was with middle school students. The song was Happy by Pharrell Williams and I made a fill in the blank in lyrics work sheet. The song was too fast for them so after letting them listen to the song 2 times and filling as much as they can, I just went over the answers. I had some time left so I decided to discuss the meaning of the song but they didn't understand that at all.

Third class was reading class (middle school). I liked this much more since it's more like following the instructions rather than coming up with your own stuff. Anyways, I just read out loud and told them to repeat after me. I asked them questions about the story after reading a paragraph or two. It was mostly one student answering all the questions though  :lipsrsealed:. I told her to let the other students answer but they had more trouble answering my questions. At the end of the class I told them to summarize what we read so far to me but they didn't understand that at all. I don't think they understood the story much

What I observed was that they have pretty good reading comprehension but they have pretty bad listening comprehension and speaking skills. I suspect this is due to Korea focusing on vocabulary and reading and neglect listening and speaking. This is hard for me since I have to speak in English. How can I teach anything when they don't even understand what I'm saying. I felt so ****** incompetent and I'm tired as ****. Any tips would be appreciated.  :sad:

For a first day on the job I don't think 'discuss' is something you should try and do with middle school students.  It takes time to find the level of the students, but I agree that the language barrier will be hard to start with.  But over time you will become comfortable with each other, and it gets much easier.

Students wouldn't know how to summarise something, especially the first class with a new teacher.  Also I am not sure how much students can 'learn' from a pop song class, especially the first one. 

One thing to remember and this was one important thing I picked up from my CELTA was you have to grade your language.  Be very careful about the words you use.  Don't have overly wordy questions or explanations, because only the best students can follow.  If you can give a clear demonstration for the activity it will help a lot.  Students listening skills are usually good, but they are not used to answering the questions, just marking on a paper 1,2,3,4 or 5. 

Try not to worry about it.  It will get easier!!  ;D

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #723 on: September 02, 2016, 10:56:03 AM »
Hoooooly ... snip

I've realized they only study for exams and don't really pay much attention to something that's not exam related. I know I shouldn't expect to make huge changes but I really hate feeling incompetent so I at least want to be able to communicate and explain things to them.  :undecided:

The exam stuff is true. I've been asked to add some questions based on my classes to the end of year exam, so before every lesson now, I scare them by saying: something that we do today, might be on the exam. - I get a little more attention and trying, but not much. :P
I also told them that the exam, and it being marked, will be done entirely by me. The day I told them that, I had 99% of my students attention haha. (The English teacher goes along with that too haha).

Offline PMDL123

• Waygookin - I can PM now!
« Reply #724 on: September 02, 2016, 11:27:52 AM »
So I moved to my apartment yesterday in Habuk (Yangsan). After picking me up from the office of education and we headed to Yangsan, he kept telling me that he has two daughters at home and his wife is angry so he had to go home. I didn't get to the Immigration Bureau or the bank. Luckily I had told him I should buy groceries so he took me there. He didn't look too happy because he was such in a rush to go home. I realized after my co-teacher had left that my apartment did not have bedsheets, pillows or blankets. Thankfully my scarves were big enough to be used as my shower towel, my bedsheet and blanket. I didn't have wifi in my apartment so I walked to Paris Baquette and met an elderly Russian man whom I tried to speak to but he just cut me out. I am terribly lonely and although I know it's only the first few days here, I'm freaking out about how bad this could be. I just expected to be better taken cared of instead of just being tossed to figure everything out by myself. :(

Anyone in Habuk or has ever been in Habuk?

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #725 on: September 02, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »
@PMDL123 Never heard of the place. Looks like you're close to Busan though. Go there.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #726 on: September 02, 2016, 11:51:52 AM »
So I moved to my apartment yesterday in Habuk (Yangsan). After picking me up from the office of education and we headed to Yangsan, he kept telling me that he has two daughters at home and his wife is angry so he had to go home. I didn't get to the Immigration Bureau or the bank. Luckily I had told him I should buy groceries so he took me there. He didn't look too happy because he was such in a rush to go home. I realized after my co-teacher had left that my apartment did not have bedsheets, pillows or blankets. Thankfully my scarves were big enough to be used as my shower towel, my bedsheet and blanket. I didn't have wifi in my apartment so I walked to Paris Baquette and met an elderly Russian man whom I tried to speak to but he just cut me out. I am terribly lonely and although I know it's only the first few days here, I'm freaking out about how bad this could be. I just expected to be better taken cared of instead of just being tossed to figure everything out by myself. :(

Here is a facebook page for the foreigner group in Busan. Yangsan is pretty close to Busan so there may be some folk in the group you can hang out with and also get information from.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/446252345467530/

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #727 on: September 02, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »

Looks like you are very close to where I am as well. I haven't been to your area yet though. I hope your experience improves. I had a shitty experience similar to yours last year when I went to Japan, my futon hadn't been delivered and the house was empty (no plates, blankets, utensils, etc.). I had to use 4 towels as a matress and blankets for 3 days - I barely slept; also, the Eikaiwa had a rule that: if you yawn in class, you are fired.

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
« Reply #728 on: September 02, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »

Looks like you are very close to where I am as well. I haven't been to your area yet though. I hope your experience improves. I had a shitty experience similar to yours last year when I went to Japan, my futon hadn't been delivered and the house was empty (no plates, blankets, utensils, etc.). I had to use 4 towels as a matress and blankets for 3 days - I barely slept; also, the Eikaiwa had a rule that: if you yawn in class, you are fired.

What eikaiwa was this?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #729 on: September 02, 2016, 04:35:02 PM »
Hahahahahahahah so you may remember I posted the other day about trying to iron out some scheduling stuff with the head english teacher. Today I was teaching with a different teacher and she was like wait what this wasn't the plan and I was like oh I talked to you yesterday, the head english teacher told me to do this and she was like oh... really...

So then she went to talk to the head english teacher and SURPRISE she said something completely different than what she said to me, and now everything is really complicated and we have some strange plan to try to finish two chapters in THREE class periods together and I told her (not the head teacher, the other one) okay, we can have this plan, but you HAVE to make sure EVERYONE teaching the second graders is on the same page because with 21 unique classes I cannot keep track of which are doing this convoluted schedule, so everyone has to do the convoluted schedule. I said I really thought we should have a meeting to make sure everyone is on the same page, and she said "I don't think the other English teachers want to have a meeting" I literally told her THAT IS THEIR JOB but she just shrugged her shoulders. The very first thing I said when I came in teaching middle school with 5 coteachers was "We have to all be on the same page because with 5 people I can't take the time to plan with you all individually."

Anyways she said that she would tell everyone about this new revised weird plan but somehow I doubt that is going to happen. I know someone is going to end up angry at me and I'm going to get in trouble somehow. The plan that she came up with in the first place is overly optimistic about timing (her plans always are). And she always takes a long time explaining things (not that that's bad but when speed is an issue....). I already know it's not going to work out. And why on earth is it more important to finish 2 chapters in 3 weeks than it is to make sure, I dunno, the students properly understand the course content. I know it might feel weird but I promise it's possible to do half of the second chapter before midterms and half after!

I just want to cry.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #730 on: September 02, 2016, 04:41:32 PM »
I just want to cry.

Now you cry, Cornelius.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #731 on: September 02, 2016, 04:43:58 PM »

What eikaiwa was this?

Nova - it wasn't in writing, but the bosses were drilling that into us at training.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #732 on: September 02, 2016, 05:01:37 PM »
... the Eikaiwa had a rule that: if you yawn in class, you are fired.
What eikaiwa was this?
Nova - it wasn't in writing, but the bosses were drilling that into us at training.
Maybe that's why there was that huge cocaine bust among you NOVA workers back when I was working in Japan! Definitely would help prevent yawning!  :laugh:

Anyway, us GEOS folk had a nice long laugh when the papers came out likening NOVA to a giant drug cartel.  :smiley:

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #733 on: September 02, 2016, 05:09:53 PM »
... the Eikaiwa had a rule that: if you yawn in class, you are fired.
What eikaiwa was this?
Maybe that's why there was that huge cocaine bust among you NOVA workers back when I was working in Japan! Definitely would help prevent yawning!  :laugh:

Anyway, us GEOS folk had a nice long laugh when the papers came out likening NOVA to a giant drug cartel.  :smiley:

OMG Really? :O I'll have to look it up. I didn't stay past training, it was such a horrible experience, that it has put me off of private schools (in Asia at least).
I know the week after I left, my Japanese friend was telling me that 1 branch of Nova was on the news, because the owner of the branch was forcing some students to pay extra, and was pocketting that extra $.
I plan to go back to Japan, I'm unsure if at the end of my year here in Korea, or after a second, and I will strictly be in a public school. haha.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #734 on: September 02, 2016, 05:38:15 PM »
Got told I could leave an hour and 40 minutes early, only to find that the next bus isn't until the time I normally leave, since my school is out in the middle of nowhere :'(

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #735 on: September 02, 2016, 05:49:19 PM »
Got told I could leave an hour and 40 minutes early, only to find that the next bus isn't until the time I normally leave, since my school is out in the middle of nowhere :'(
Take a nap at the nurse's office?

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #736 on: September 02, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »
Take a nap at the nurse's office?

I'm a heavy sleeper that is difficult to wake up; I'm also extremely tired. I'd probably end up sleeping until late tonight :P

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #737 on: September 03, 2016, 10:53:43 PM »

Really?  Sounds like he's a really selfish jerk.  I mean your first day, he should take you to immigration and then to the store to get bedding, food, plates, whatever you need.  Then, maybe after you get your alien ID card in a couple of weeks you'd go open a bank account.  Teachers picked me up and took care of all that when I first arrived.  I mean does he not have a clue that you just got off the plane, don't know where anything is yet? 

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #738 on: September 03, 2016, 11:04:52 PM »

For your sake, I hope this a troll.

Imagine if you wanted to travel around Asia on your own, would you expect someone to hold your hand?

Rather than posting here, go out and explore your neighborhood, find what you need and buy it.

If you are being serious, I'm curious what preparations you took prior to arriving.

Your expectations aren't doing you any favors.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #739 on: September 04, 2016, 12:15:59 AM »

For your sake, I hope this a troll.

Imagine if you wanted to travel around Asia on your own, would you expect someone to hold your hand?

Rather than posting here, go out and explore your neighborhood, find what you need and buy it.

If you are being serious, I'm curious what preparations you took prior to arriving.

Your expectations aren't doing you any favors.

Pecan, you seem like such an insightful and understanding fellow, I'm sure you must be really popular in the real world.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment