October 19, 2017, 03:28:48 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 521453 times)

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7180 on: August 28, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
This is urgent, friends.

Sometimes I hate myself and therefore have a craving for hot dogs. But I have no idea which ones to buy as I fear that any Korean version is either: Five inches in circumference or disgusting or both. Has anyone found a brand here that might mimic the specific repulsiveness of an American hot dog?

And, to make this more rant-y, first grade middle schoolers are the worst people on the planet.

Fixed that for you.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7181 on: August 28, 2017, 02:29:52 PM »
I made spaghetti last night for the PILs, and despite FIL complaining it was greasy, they ate it right up. MIL did require kimchi as a side though, saying they went well together. Progress!

I got hot sauce in my bag
what kind of spaghetti was it?

i've heard this from a lot of koreans: western food is too greasy and salty

when korean food is some of the greasiest, saltiest cuisine i have ever eaten (i love korean food though, don't get me wrong, but come on)

e.g. we went out for 곱창 the other day. wife always complains she doesn't like chinese food as it's too 'greasy', but the worker was literally ladeling out the grease and oil from the bowl of 곱창!

i don't know what the rules are!

Don't mind the rules; just know the deck is stacked.

It was an oil pasta, in fact (no particular recipe, just a hodgepodge of what I found in the fridge). I think that was just FIL's unique way of not recognizing anybody's hard work besides his own, and a signal that he wanted someone to get him the marinated onions out of the fridge to help his stomach cut the grease -- A signal that I missed; he ended up getting it himself.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7182 on: August 28, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »
I made spaghetti last night for the PILs, and despite FIL complaining it was greasy, they ate it right up. MIL did require kimchi as a side though, saying they went well together. Progress!

when korean food is some of the greasiest, saltiest cuisine i have ever eaten (i love korean food though, don't get me wrong, but come on)

e.g. we went out for 곱창 the other day. wife always complains she doesn't like chinese food as it's too 'greasy', but the worker was literally ladeling out the grease and oil from the bowl of 곱창!

Whoa what? I've never seen any Chinese 곱창 places anywhere in Korea. Where was this? If it's anything like the Chinese intestine I used to eat back home, I've been trying to find something like that for years.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7183 on: August 28, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »
It wasn't until I was a teenager that my mother started cooking things that weren't boiled, baked, mashed or whipped (her pizza was terrible.)

Was it boiled, baked, mashed, or whipped? :laugh:

I feel like putting some pizza in a blender would be kind of good. Like, liquid dough tomato slurry.

Not enough liquid in pizza to blend it. Nor does cheese blend very well. You'd end up with a greasy, doughy paste if you tried hard enough I imagine. Batter that up and deep fry it and I bet it'd taste pretty good while simultaneously giving you a heart attack.

She did at least bake the pizza. Usually not quite enough such that the crust was slightly uncooked.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7184 on: August 28, 2017, 02:46:39 PM »

Whoa what? I've never seen any Chinese 곱창 places anywhere in Korea. Where was this? If it's anything like the Chinese intestine I used to eat back home, I've been trying to find something like that for years.

No no. The wife complains about Chinese food because it's greasy, but doesn't complain about (Korean) GOPE-CHAHNG despite it being served with a bowl of oil. He's just pointing out the inconsistency.

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7185 on: August 28, 2017, 02:58:32 PM »
haha. wasn't chinese, just that it was WAY greasier than chinese food, which she won't eat because it's apparently 'too greasy'

now i do want to try some chinese-style gopchang though....

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7186 on: August 28, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »
My theory:

I think some Koreans say "too greasy/salty" the same way some westerners say "too spicy".

All three are just saying "I don't like this", but grease, salt, and capsaicin are three things that are socially acceptable attributes of a dish to object to.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7187 on: August 28, 2017, 03:09:52 PM »
So I've been rocking a bitchin' suntan lately after a good amount of time spent outdoors this summer....

Kids keep saying I look sick!  :rolleyes:

Dammit this is the healthiest I'll look all year!

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7188 on: August 28, 2017, 03:21:11 PM »
My theory:

I think some Koreans say "too greasy/salty" the same way some westerners say "too spicy".

All three are just saying "I don't like this", but grease, salt, and capsaicin are three things that are socially acceptable attributes of a dish to object to.

I don't see how saying, "It's too greasy [therefore I don't like it]," is any better than just saying, "I don't like it," although by calling it greasy, one's distaste could be attributed to the dish itself (It's meant to be greasy, but I don't like grease) rather than the way it was prepared (I don't like it, so you must not have prepared it well.)

Is this your way of telling me my pasta sucks? :cry:

Offline Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7189 on: August 28, 2017, 04:09:59 PM »
My theory:

I don't see how saying, "It's too greasy [therefore I don't like it]," is any better than just saying, "I don't like it," although by calling it greasy, one's distaste could be attributed to the dish itself (It's meant to be greasy, but I don't like grease) rather than the way it was prepared (I don't like it, so you must not have prepared it well.)

Is this your way of telling me my pasta sucks? :cry:

You made it "Italian greasy", which is inferior and different to "Korean greasy". Next time, as a test sneak in some 고추장 and see if they can tell the difference.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7190 on: August 28, 2017, 04:11:12 PM »
Not enough liquid in pizza to blend it. Nor does cheese blend very well. You'd end up with a greasy, doughy paste if you tried hard enough I imagine.

Well that's why you add yogurt and/or juice to it, or else it just isn't a smoothie.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7191 on: August 28, 2017, 04:19:16 PM »
Going to Europe with the wife and her in-laws are coming for part of the trip. Meals for everyday? Wife says they want to eat Korean food. I mean what's the effing point for Koreans traveling overseas if half their suitcase is filled with kimchi and ramen.

Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

The only explanation I can fathom is that while most people travel to see a different part of the world and experience the culture, many Koreans and pretty much the whole of mainland China travels for 2 reasons, prestige and shopping.

Your typical 6 day Korean/Chinese package deal involves getting on the bus, driving to as many tourists traps as possible, stopping just long enough to take a few selfies, in front of famous monuments, before spending the final day of the trip at a luxury goods outlet store.
They come home and can brag they've travelled to 10 European countries in as many days. The thousands of photos they took will help the climb their social and professional ladders.

Eating the local food or immersing into the local culture is seen as a waste of time and inconvenient. I do sympathise a bit, as Koreans have developed a... shall we say, unique palate, but seriously, opting to ingest copious amounts of poison (supermarket ramen) over local food seems pretty damn stupid no matter how you cut it.

It's true!

My Co-T often talks about how she wants to visit my country just long enough to take a picture outside of an American chain store to prove she'd been there, hop on a plane and come back ASAP.

I've also traveled with Koreans, it's the most exhausting and unfulfilling experience. You spend most of your time on transport going to different areas "just to see" as many famous places as possible and get a picture.

It was once explained to me that Koreans view their food like medicine so they can't fathom eating other cultures' cuisine for fear of getting ill. They don't seem to realize that eating food in another country always comes with a risk of stomach problems. Hell, I had diarrhea for about 3 months straight while my body was trying to adjust to the food here and I'm still not back to normal! Yet people always ask me if I cook Korean food in my home in addition to eating it at work, restaurants, and by delivery. When I say not usually, they look disappointed.

A lot of the foreigners that Koreans meet here are really open and have the mindset of enjoying another culture. You'd think this would rub off on them but I'm afraid it has the opposite outcome - it reinforces their beliefs that Korean culture/food are the only things worth experiencing so why would they extend the same courtesy to other countries when they travel abroad?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7192 on: August 28, 2017, 04:46:22 PM »
"Italian greasy"

I don't appreciate the cultural stereotypes

"Korean greasy"

I like how you challenge cultural stereotypes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The pasta *did* have some octopus in it, which seems pretty Korean to me, but I guess they have a taste for that in Italy as well, don't they....

GO-CHOO would have made a nice addition, actually. Wonder why I didn't think of it.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7193 on: August 28, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »

No no. The wife complains about Chinese food because it's greasy, but doesn't complain about (Korean) GOPE-CHAHNG despite it being served with a bowl of oil. He's just pointing out the inconsistency.

Oh. I totally read that wrong.

GobChang served with a bowl of oil sounds awesome.

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7194 on: August 29, 2017, 02:05:21 AM »
"Foreign food is too greasy and salty!"

Greasy and salty things are unhealthy, so of course Korean food, being the spiciest and healthiest food EVAR ON EARF is the exact opposite. That's my theory. Just another superiority-inferiority complex.

But there really isn't any good Korean here in Barcelona, so... :-[

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7195 on: August 29, 2017, 10:10:55 AM »
I'm in the single digits of weeks left here, but I feel like they're going much slowly than other people before me.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7196 on: August 29, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »
Korean food, being the spiciest and healthiest food EVAR ON EARF is the exact opposite. That's my theory. Just another superiority-inferiority complex.

Yes, Foreigners can't eat Korean food because it's too uniquely spicy. Foreigners should like and eat Korean food all the time because it's the best.

Make your mind up.

Online gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #7197 on: August 29, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »
This is urgent, friends.

Sometimes I hate myself and therefore have a craving for hot dogs. But I have no idea which ones to buy as I fear that any Korean version is either: Five inches in circumference or disgusting or both. Has anyone found a brand here that might mimic the specific repulsiveness of an American hot dog?

And, to make this more rant-y, first grade middle schoolers are the worst people on the planet.

Fixed that for you.

At one school, my third years are okay but the first give less collective fucks than I do, and I'm all out of fucks to give. I just teach theough them and let them fail. Not my fault my coteacher neutered my classroom discipline plan on day one  :angel:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7198 on: August 29, 2017, 01:13:36 PM »

At one school, my third years are okay but the first give less collective fucks than I do, and I'm all out of fucks to give. I just teach theough them and let them fail. Not my fault my coteacher neutered my classroom discipline plan on day one  :angel:

Yeah I truly am baffled by how they manage to be a mix of everything terrible: roughhousing/screaming before class, slamming their books on the desks, and then during class they're either disruptive or unresponsive or both. Even games that my other grades go nuts for are treated as if it's some huge inconvenience.

My third graders are hilarious. My second graders think I'm hilarious. It's usually a good time. But the first graders just...ugh.

Online gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #7199 on: August 29, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »

Yeah I truly am baffled by how they manage to be a mix of everything terrible: roughhousing/screaming before class, slamming their books on the desks, and then during class they're either disruptive or unresponsive or both. Even games that my other grades go nuts for are treated as if it's some huge inconvenience.

My third graders are hilarious. My second graders think I'm hilarious. It's usually a good time. But the first graders just...ugh.

I have 4 schools: 2 middle and 2 elementary. At the elementary schools, the kids love me and the teachers love me and I love then and I get to play games and songs constantly because they all put in the effort to learn the lesson material each week.

At my midde schools, I try to do games and the like and get blank stares and blank papers. The English levels are SO varied there (and one is an all-girls school), that the lowest levels are lost, the highest levels are bored, and the middle levels don't care. It's a shit situation because I just don't have the time to plan so many disparate lessons and account for all the skill differences at my beginner level of teaching and I don't know many of my MS kids by name yet. This leads to boredom and acting out, compiled with no disciplinary ability on my end, a lack of experience and time and communication, and the fact that first years don't have midterms or finals. It's a perfect storm of shit.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment