September 26, 2018, 11:02:46 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1098819 times)

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7180 on: October 27, 2017, 07:32:12 AM »
My CT rigs the games so the team she likes can win.

Last class, it backfired and it made that team lose even more. And then they complained and she was like "I understand" and changed the rules again so they could catch up. They still lost.

Then she had the nerve to be in a bad mood about it, telling me she wanted the other team to win and that she understands why they complained. What is this? It's a game! The teams who get the answer right get the points. They answered wrong and lost (even though she was trying to make sure they won.)

I said, "well that's the game!" and she said "yes but I understand them..."

Well, I don't understand you, CT. You rig the game and make it unfair for other students and then you give in to the students you like because they say it's "not fair." You're a grown ass woman!

What's fair is playing the game by the rules and not playing favorites.
I understand where you are coming from, but that isn't actually the best practice for learning via games.

Inserting a random element into the activity will better serve to keep everyone involved and engaged.

For example, some play match game where each match gets a point.  Best practices dictates that we should insert a random slide and trigger, then have the teams pick a character that reveals points from 1-4, a bomb, or other.  This way, whether teams are high-level or not everyone has a random chance to win the game.

Do you follow?

Still doesn't change the fact that the CT favours one group over the other students and is rigging the game. Which is the real issue that the OP is talking about.
And besides, isn't a match game already random?  No one knows what's behind the squares until someone chooses them.  The only "non-random" thing about match games is the team that goes earlier in the sequence is at a disadvantage.  In my classes, we randomize it by using a dice roll to see who goes first.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7181 on: October 27, 2017, 07:57:27 AM »
And besides, isn't a match game already random?  No one knows what's behind the squares until someone chooses them.  The only "non-random" thing about match games is the team that goes earlier in the sequence is at a disadvantage.  In my classes, we randomize it by using a dice roll to see who goes first.
Right.

I didn't explain myself well.

Playing straight up, without chance in the scoring, the team that makes three matches would get three points.  The team with one match would get one, and so on.

Without dynamic scoring, once one or more of the groups know "the win" is beyond their reach due to simple scoring, they tune out.

I've found that it works much better when every group has a chance right up until the last turn to win (I don't like doing competitive activities in Korea, in general, as the students are too competitive to begin with, but they work at times). 

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7182 on: October 30, 2017, 12:46:43 PM »
Not a single post here in three days? Wow.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7183 on: October 30, 2017, 01:24:04 PM »

To get the ball rolling again.

Is it fall or early Winter? Did we just skip fall?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7184 on: October 30, 2017, 01:32:40 PM »

Just a glitch.

We'll have fall back tomorrow.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #7185 on: October 30, 2017, 01:54:17 PM »

Are you ranting about the lack of ranting?  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7186 on: October 30, 2017, 02:52:29 PM »
F*ck this coT.  You've generally just been a mild annoyance but this takes the cake.  So, I was supposed to have my last day with a travel school last week.  The day before, she called and asked to literally move all of the classes to another day because she "needs to do something on the mainland."  She wanted to move it to the day I pop into samulnori class and this would be the last one so naturally I didn't want to.  I just told her I needed to discuss it with my main coT. 

Travel coT ends up moving all my classes to today.  My main coT wanted me to be at my main school today and tomorrow for my last days and specifically told this travel coT that.  F*ck you again then.  This is the only coT that makes me make up classes if the schedule gets changed around.  Cause God forbid she have to teach any extra classes on her own when I could just do everything by myself while she's glued to her phone or the computer.  Yeah she's "so busy" with her two schools but I have double the schools she does so I have no sympathy for her whinging. 

The winds were extremely strong yesterday so all ferries but one in the very early morning got canceled.  Only one teacher from my school made it to the island in time.  Today, literally waiting at port with everyone else from my school, hoping for winds to die down enough for the ferries to run again.  Had to wait to the point where I missed all my last classes with this travel school (classes are all in the morning). 

I informed this coT early on about the ferry situation (which she was well aware of anyway, since there are message alerts).  Paraphrasing, she says sorry, thanks for your 2 years of service, bye.  K, fine.  I later let her know that I'm catching the first ferry back and I'd like to stop in to at least say good bye to the students.  Now this is the bit where I got seriously pissed.   She tells me sorry, that they're "busy with programs."  F*ing kidding me??  Literally I just wanted to pop in a minute to say goodbye and throw them some Halloween candy.  I've taught them for two years and I actually do care about them.  My own classes have been interrupted on numerous occasions (by apologetic homeroom teachers) so I really don't think they'd mind if I stopped in for a brief minute to say goodbye

Anyway, I did figure up a solution.  Tomorrow is the day she's at a different school so I'll just hop in before classes start and say hey and bye to the kids while completely avoiding that coT.  HAH

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7187 on: October 30, 2017, 02:59:25 PM »
It's too bad that you're having to deal with idiotic CT behavior during the homestretch of your contract yirj17.

Just know that you'll soon be free to give a piece of your mind to everyone who deserves it  :wink:

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7188 on: October 30, 2017, 03:39:06 PM »

Just a glitch.

We'll have fall back tomorrow.
I sure hope so. I'm not ready to be constantly be cold at school.

My coteacher always asks me to find materials for the lesson, and of course I don't mind doing that because that's part of lesson planning, but the whole time I'm working on lessons she's chatting with coworkers. When I show her what I've found/made she clearly does not like any of it. This has been going on all year and I still don't know what she wants. And it wouldn't kill her to stop talking for 10 minutes and help find/make something.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7189 on: November 01, 2017, 07:58:28 AM »
I used to work with several teachers like that, and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you give them a chance to say they don't like what you found, they're going to say that. Just get in the rhythm of you come to class with the lesson ready, teach it, do a good job, and then they don't have to worry about your materials, and you don't have to run it past them. Just operate under the assumption that they should never need to ask you to find materials - you'll just bring them.

It's kind of hard to get into that routine if they've been approving or denying your stuff in the past, but if you start teaching with a new teacher, it's good to be just like, "Here's what we're doing, here's the files. See you tomorrow."
I like the idea and I wish I could do that, but my co is a complete control freak. She sits right next to me in the office and asks what I've found/made/working on every day. There's absolutely no way she'd ever allow any activity into the classroom that she didn't completely understand and pre-approve, and change parts of. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7190 on: November 01, 2017, 11:43:47 AM »
It's always a privilege to witness my CT in action when it comes to discipline and the effectiveness of Korean teacher training. She teaches one class by herself and I sit in the next room. If you've ever visited Earth, you might've heard the noise her class makes. In an effort to combat this ear splitting raucous, she's turned to technology by plugging in the microphone and attempting to scream the lesson over the student's noise.

Not entirely dense, it took her 3 months to realize that this ultimately doubles the noise. So she's adopted the strategy of teaching the students to police each other by permitting them to shout the words "Be Quiet" at any noise violators. Now, we've got an English lesson of my CT shouting awkward Key Expressions through a speaker while 30 students are all attempting to scream "Be Quiet!" at their friends.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7191 on: November 01, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »
This kind of stuff is so funny!

I'm really laughing, so I don't know why I'm putting it in the ranting thread. I guess because it's just so ridiculous to find these chapters in a foreign language book. I wonder what they learn in their actual Korean lessons.

"Wow! Koreans are very smart."

Now I know why the Koreans I meet act like unpaid government tour and culture guides, even after I tell them I've been living here for several years. They are taught that this is how your conversations with foreigners are supposed to go. And why they act so disappointed when I don't gush over what they think I should gush over.  I didn't follow the script  :laugh:

It's almost surreal.

I've taken classes in Arabic, French, German, Japanese, Mandarin, and Spanish, and not a single one of them included chapters about America. I had plenty of other classes in which to learn about my own country; my languages classes gave me the opportunity to learn about different cultures and new places.

I genuinely think the English books here are doing the students a disservice. Happily, I've often been given the opportunity to teach classes about whatever I feel like teaching them, so I try to give them the cultural exposure their textbooks don't.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7192 on: November 01, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
This kind of stuff is so funny!

I'm really laughing, so I don't know why I'm putting it in the ranting thread. I guess because it's just so ridiculous to find these chapters in a foreign language book. I wonder what they learn in their actual Korean lessons.

"Wow! Koreans are very smart."

Now I know why the Koreans I meet act like unpaid government tour and culture guides, even after I tell them I've been living here for several years. They are taught that this is how your conversations with foreigners are supposed to go. And why they act so disappointed when I don't gush over what they think I should gush over.  I didn't follow the script  :laugh:

Surprisingly, I've heard this has nothing to do with the inferiority complex.
Textbook publishers have a better shot of getting rich by getting MOE's to authorise the use of their textbooks when they fill it with nationalistic drivel.
The South Korean government, just like their comrades in the North, love Nationalism and filling their citizens with it. The more Nationalistic the people become, the easier they are to manipulate and the less likely they are to care when their overlords in government/Samsung get caught with their fingers in the cookie jar.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #7193 on: November 02, 2017, 10:32:34 AM »
Had this discussion years ago with my first CT when I was still working with a CT. She was a brand new teacher. She told me they get virtually no classroom management training and student teaching is like a week but it's not really student teaching, because I have seen it first hand in my high school. They come in for two weeks (high school) and spend most of the time observing senior teachers and then they teach one truncated lesson (20 mins) with the senior teacher in the room to control the students.
I actually feel sorry for Kteachers, their prep is lacking in the classroom management and child psychology areas.
It's always a privilege to witness my CT in action when it comes to discipline and the effectiveness of Korean teacher training. She teaches one class by herself and I sit in the next room. If you've ever visited Earth, you might've heard the noise her class makes. In an effort to combat this ear splitting raucous, she's turned to technology by plugging in the microphone and attempting to scream the lesson over the student's noise.

Not entirely dense, it took her 3 months to realize that this ultimately doubles the noise. So she's adopted the strategy of teaching the students to police each other by permitting them to shout the words "Be Quiet" at any noise violators. Now, we've got an English lesson of my CT shouting awkward Key Expressions through a speaker while 30 students are all attempting to scream "Be Quiet!" at their friends.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7194 on: November 02, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »
It's officially "Close the door!" season.

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #7195 on: November 02, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »

waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user 

I'd like to make a polite request that you stop this now.  It's gone on long enough I think.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7196 on: November 02, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »
What is it with some women in the country sounding like a slightly higher pitched Vincent Price?

You can hear it sometimes with 앵~~~?

It's like a high pitched nasally whine.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7197 on: November 02, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »

waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user 

I'd like to make a polite request that you stop this now.  It's gone on long enough I think.

Agreed. Very spammy too.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7198 on: November 02, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »

Disagree.

It lets me know I should read it in the voice I made up for #theBasedOne; kind of like actor David Carradine’s.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7199 on: November 02, 2017, 02:44:41 PM »
Saw three people on my facebook feed use the term 'adulting'.

F millennials are stupid. And to think our grandparents were storming Okinawa. Get over yourselves people.