October 20, 2017, 01:38:19 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 523425 times)

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7160 on: August 27, 2017, 09:03:32 PM »
Ramen is a proper meal but Ramyeon isn't; just junk food. British folk are lucky that Spanish resorts cater to their tastes but it's not like they are packing baked beans from Waitrose because they don't rate the Spanish equivalent. It would also be like Germans packing some bratwurst because they think that Spanish sausage is inedible.

I think Brits bringing stuff you can't get abroad on holiday is pretty well recognised. E.g. the first few seconds of this Mr Bean video. HP sauce and tea bags are are also popular choices.

Online Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7161 on: August 27, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »
Ramen is a proper meal but Ramyeon isn't; just junk food. British folk are lucky that Spanish resorts cater to their tastes but it's not like they are packing baked beans from Waitrose because they don't rate the Spanish equivalent. It would also be like Germans packing some bratwurst because they think that Spanish sausage is inedible.

I think Brits bringing stuff you can't get abroad on holiday is pretty well recognised. E.g. the first few seconds of this Mr Bean video. HP sauce and tea bags are are also popular choices.

I think bringing a small accompaniment of British tea bags or small bottle of HP sauce pales in comparison to what Koreans stuff into their suitcase.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7162 on: August 27, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »

I think bringing a small accompaniment of British tea bags or small bottle of HP sauce pales in comparison to what Koreans stuff into their suitcase.

Yes possibly. Koreans are also probably bringing all that crap over to save money, but are less likely to admit that. If you're going on a grand tour of Europe these days there's probably a Korean restaurant in every major city with just as good food, but twice the cost.  I assume your average Korean has got an app on their smart phone that shows up all the Korean restaurants in every European city and exactly how to get there.   

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7163 on: August 28, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »
Going to Europe with the wife and her in-laws are coming for part of the trip. Meals for everyday? Wife says they want to eat Korean food. I mean what's the effing point for Koreans traveling overseas if half their suitcase is filled with kimchi and ramen.

As I'm sure you know, ramen is Japanese, however I know what you mean. In UK culture eating your own food on holiday is a working class/ordinary people thing to do, judging by the kind of places in Spain that are awash with English food restaurants. Do your in laws have humble origins? Actually, I guess virtually everyone in that generation in Korea could be described in that way.

Just been out shopping for food with wife and FIL and he bought some Korean food for their trip, around 9KG's worth - and that's just what my wife has to pack in her suitcase for them. I'm sure they are packing their own cases with Korean food. Total days of their trip - 8 days.

Not humble origins but part of that older generation who are so accustomed to eating Korean food all their lives that they have no willingness to try anything else.

Waitrose? No....the kind of people who take beans on holiday only take Heinz  ;D I have seen people do it too.

Offline CJ

• Veteran
« Reply #7164 on: August 28, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »
Man, why did the ref stop Mayweather beating up that that cocky Irish bast#!d ?? I was loving rounds 8/9 and 10.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7165 on: August 28, 2017, 10:39:52 AM »

Not humble origins but part of that older generation who are so accustomed to eating Korean food all their lives that they have no willingness to try anything else.

I will never, ever understand the ability that Koreans have to eat the same damn thing for every single meal of their lives. That used to be a Would You Rather scenario we'd play in school.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7166 on: August 28, 2017, 10:50:19 AM »
Going to Europe with the wife and her in-laws are coming for part of the trip. Meals for everyday? Wife says they want to eat Korean food. I mean what's the effing point for Koreans traveling overseas if half their suitcase is filled with kimchi and ramen.

As I'm sure you know, ramen is Japanese, however I know what you mean. In UK culture eating your own food on holiday is a working class/ordinary people thing to do, judging by the kind of places in Spain that are awash with English food restaurants. Do your in laws have humble origins? Actually, I guess virtually everyone in that generation in Korea could be described in that way.

Just been out shopping for food with wife and FIL and he bought some Korean food for their trip, around 9KG's worth - and that's just what my wife has to pack in her suitcase for them. I'm sure they are packing their own cases with Korean food. Total days of their trip - 8 days.

Waitrose? No....the kind of people who take beans on holiday only take Heinz  ;D I have seen people do it too.

Seems like a really specific group that take their own beans on holiday.  Especially, if you are talking about Spanish resorts.  Or any Mediterranean resorts for that matter.  The older generation, probably flying Easyjet or Ryanair, come back and pick up their suitcases at Manchester airport looking a funny unnatural bright pink colour having spent their two weeks hanging around an overcrowded swimming pool drinking cocktails with umbrellas in.  Probably some grandkids-in-tow wearing England football kits.  You can't help but stare. 

My wife might take a few packets of ramyeon with her on holiday, but I think this year she had two left over. 

My school teachers went to Vietnam and Cambodia for a trip a few years ago and over the five days, they ate no local food at all.  I still don't get it. 

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7167 on: August 28, 2017, 11:00:10 AM »
I made spaghetti last night for the PILs, and despite FIL complaining it was greasy, they ate it right up. MIL did require kimchi as a side though, saying they went well together. Progress!

I got hot sauce in my bag

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7168 on: August 28, 2017, 11:05:02 AM »

I will never, ever understand the ability that Koreans have to eat the same damn thing for every single meal of their lives. That used to be a Would You Rather scenario we'd play in school.

Not to play the apologist, but I was brought up on a very steady diet of milk, meat and potatoes in rural Canada. I imagine much of that has to do with both sets of grandparents making much of their living off the land and my parents carrying on the tradition. It wasn't until I was a teenager that my mother started cooking things that weren't boiled, baked, mashed or whipped (her pizza was terrible.) It wasn't too long ago Koreans were in the same boat.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7169 on: August 28, 2017, 11:14:32 AM »
It wasn't until I was a teenager that my mother started cooking things that weren't boiled, baked, mashed or whipped (her pizza was terrible.)

Was it boiled, baked, mashed, or whipped? :laugh:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7170 on: August 28, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »

Is this your signature line on Tinder?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7171 on: August 28, 2017, 11:23:44 AM »

Is this your signature line on Tinder?

Sharyce?!

Offline gidget

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7172 on: August 28, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7173 on: August 28, 2017, 11:26:37 AM »
It wasn't until I was a teenager that my mother started cooking things that weren't boiled, baked, mashed or whipped (her pizza was terrible.)

I feel like putting some pizza in a blender would be kind of good. Like, liquid dough tomato slurry.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7174 on: August 28, 2017, 11:43:17 AM »

I feel like putting some pizza in a blender would be kind of good. Like, liquid dough tomato slurry.

Pizza smoothie? (tomatoes are a fruit, right?)  :laugh:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7175 on: August 28, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »

Pizza smoothie? (tomatoes are a fruit, right?)  :laugh:

Yes.

Also, this belongs in the Happy thread, but I'll post it here instead because I'm lazy. Our queen and savior Taylor Swift has just dropped a new single with which we are blessed.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7176 on: August 28, 2017, 12:43:50 PM »
This is urgent, friends.

Sometimes I hate myself and therefore have a craving for hot dogs. But I have no idea which ones to buy as I fear that any Korean version is either: Five inches in circumference or disgusting or both. Has anyone found a brand here that might mimic the specific repulsiveness of an American hot dog?

And, to make this more rant-y, first grade middle schoolers are the worst people on the planet.

Offline zedsonata

• Adventurer
« Reply #7177 on: August 28, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »
I'm not American, but those costco hot dogs seem pretty American to me.
You can buy them pre made in a hotdog bun at the food court, or you can buy them in a packet with the other hotdogs.

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7178 on: August 28, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
I made spaghetti last night for the PILs, and despite FIL complaining it was greasy, they ate it right up. MIL did require kimchi as a side though, saying they went well together. Progress!

what kind of spaghetti was it?

i've heard this from a lot of koreans: western food is too greasy and salty

when korean food is some of the greasiest, saltiest cuisine i have ever eaten (i love korean food though, don't get me wrong, but come on)

e.g. we went out for 곱창 the other day. wife always complains she doesn't like chinese food as it's too 'greasy', but the worker was literally ladeling out the grease and oil from the bowl of 곱창!

i don't know what the rules are!

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7179 on: August 28, 2017, 01:50:23 PM »

what kind of spaghetti was it?

i've heard this from a lot of koreans: western food is too greasy and salty

when korean food is some of the greasiest, saltiest cuisine i have ever eaten (i love korean food though, don't get me wrong, but come on)

e.g. we went out for 곱창 the other day. wife always complains she doesn't like chinese food as it's too 'greasy', but the worker was literally ladeling out the grease and oil from the bowl of 곱창!

i don't know what the rules are!

I had a Korean co-teacher go to Thailand a few years ago, and she complained about how Thai food has a really strong smell.   :rolleyes:

One of the rules of 'deonjangjjigae' is to not each too much, because it is really salty and 'not good for your health' to each too much. 

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment