October 20, 2017, 01:25:16 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 523389 times)

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7060 on: August 07, 2017, 11:14:28 AM »

Offline wanderlust8

• Adventurer
« Reply #7061 on: August 07, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »
I'm so sick of camp. I try to stay positive but 10 days spread across three weeks is too much. I just want it to be over so I can go on my (very short) vacation. I developed a terrible cold over the weekend and I'm not in the mood to smile or do anything today.

I feel you. I'm on camp number 3 right now. I still have conversation classes to do next week too. And I got the flu or something last week and the room keeps spinning. We can do this though! Good luck!

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7062 on: August 07, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
I hear you, camp is the worst. Comes in second only to speaking tests.

And there's very little to prevent me from becoming that guy, sometimes. But at least I still have students who appreciate my work, even though they'd rather not have to come to camp at all. xD

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #7063 on: August 07, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
About the spicy food thing has anyone ever said (part of) his/her family came from Mexico?Proceed to explain the origin of the chili pepper. Enjoy what comes next?
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7064 on: August 07, 2017, 12:19:57 PM »
About the spicy food thing has anyone ever said (part of) his/her family came from Mexico?Proceed to explain the origin of the chili pepper. Enjoy what comes next?

I think people are more tolerant/intolerant to different foods (spices) depending on what they grew up eating. I do find some Korean foods spicy; mostly, due to the overuse of 고추장. This somehow makes Koreans think that if you can't eat spicy Korean food well then all spicy food must be impossible to eat.

However, cue the scene of me, Korean wife and in-laws at an Indian restaurant. MIL tries a spoonful of Vindaloo and reaches for water straight away and there's me continuing to eat the same Vindaloo but the inevitable question comes up from her: "Isn't it spicy?"

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7065 on: August 07, 2017, 12:31:25 PM »
I think people are more tolerant/intolerant to different foods (spices) depending on what they grew up eating. I do find some Korean foods spicy; mostly, due to the overuse of 고추장. This somehow makes Koreans think that if you can't eat spicy Korean food well then all spicy food must be impossible to eat.

However, cue the scene of me, Korean wife and in-laws at an Indian restaurant. MIL tries a spoonful of Vindaloo and reaches for water straight away and there's me continuing to eat the same Vindaloo but the inevitable question comes up from her: "Isn't it spicy?"

This is true. Sometimes it's just a matter of taste and what you're willing to tolerate or acclimate to, in that regard.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7066 on: August 07, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »
The mental gymnastics you use to come to this conclusion are really something.

It's not mental gymnastics to conclude that the person MIGHT be genuinely concerned about you freaking out over some spice based on passed experiences with other foreign teachers.

We all know some Koreans are obsessed with how people feel regarding food. Is it really a stretch to imagine that one is worried sick about her NET eating something spicy and having a bad reaction?
OP told the teacher numerous times that she had no problem with spicy food. So the CT is either a complete moron, or her English listening ability is not great.

The CT also brought in extra spicy noodles for OP to eat. Does that sound like concern?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7067 on: August 07, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »
The mental gymnastics you use to come to this conclusion are really something.

It's not mental gymnastics to conclude that the person MIGHT be genuinely concerned about you freaking out over some spice based on passed experiences with other foreign teachers.

We all know some Koreans are obsessed with how people feel regarding food. Is it really a stretch to imagine that one is worried sick about her NET eating something spicy and having a bad reaction?

I'd probably say it isn't general concern, most likely not really listening to what the OP is saying.
Gotta get in one more rant before vacation!!

I've told my CT several times that I like spicy food, yet every time we contemplate eating something that has even the slightest hint of spice she goes "oh but it's spicy.. I don't know if you can..." HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL THIS WOMAN I LIKE SPICY FOOD.

Like I said, that in spite of this, the CT might have had a past experience where someone freaked out over spicy food and she is worried about this happening again.

As I said, some Koreans can get hypersensitive about food and while "It's not for me" may be no big deal to us, to some Koreans it can be a borderline insult/disapproval towards them and/or their country.

Or the CT could be a complete ass. I'm just saying that there can be more than one explanation for the reason a person acts a certain way and sometimes those are based on life experiences and there is justifiable cause for concern.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7068 on: August 10, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »
My 15 minute bike commute is now an 80 minute bike/subway/walk commute...and back :cry:

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7069 on: August 10, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »
My 15 minute bike commute is now an 80 minute bike/subway/walk commute...and back :cry:
You should probably go back to cycling, then.
 :angel:

Offline CJ

• Veteran
« Reply #7070 on: August 10, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »
Why did at least 50 Korean people pass through the gates unmolested at Seoul Station to go on the KTX, but little old waegookin me gets picked out for bag X-ray and the wand treatment looking for weapons or sharp objects all to the horror of Koreans and small children looking at the spectacle?

Was it being non-Korean? Or has there been a spate of foreign attacks on the KTX?

Somehow, I think it was the former; tw&ts!!!

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7071 on: August 10, 2017, 02:59:12 PM »
Why did at least 50 Korean people pass through the gates unmolested at Seoul Station to go on the KTX, but little old waegookin me gets picked out for bag X-ray and the wand treatment looking for weapons or sharp objects all to the horror of Koreans and small children lookng at the spectacle?

Was it being non-Korean? Or has there been a spate of foreign attacks on the KTX?

They do security checks at the KTX station? I've never noticed that, and I go through there pretty often. Lucky me, I guess.

I remember back when I was in high-school I had my hair (badly) dyed in all sorts of colours, piercings, and was dressed in the height of grunge fashion. Needless to say, whenever I crossed a border I got the "random" security checks too.

I'm not implying anything here, but I used to have a friend by the name of CJ, and... well... if you're him, they probably need to check you more often and more thoroughly.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:34:08 PM by kyndo »

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7072 on: August 10, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »
You should probably go back to cycling, then.
 :angel:

Offline CJ

• Veteran
« Reply #7073 on: August 10, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »
Why did at least 50 Korean people pass through the gates unmolested at Seoul Station to go on the KTX, but little old waegookin me gets picked out for bag X-ray and the wand treatment looking for weapons or sharp objects all to the horror of Koreans and small children lookng at the spectacle?

They do security checks at the KTX station? I've never noticed that, and I go through there pretty often. Lucky me, I guess.

I remember back when I was in high-school I had my fair hair (badly) dyed in all sorts of colours, piercings, and was dressed in the height of grunge fashion. Needless to say, whenever I crossed a border I got the "random" security checks too.

I'm not implying anything here, but I used to have a friend by the name of CJ, and... well... if you're him, they probably need to check you more often and more thoroughly.  :smiley:

CJ is just something I pulled out of my rear.

I dress better than your average Korean and wear a Swiss mechanical watch; I'm hardly a thug or undesirable in most countries that aren't suspicious of white men.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7074 on: August 10, 2017, 03:59:48 PM »
...I used to have a friend by the name of CJ, and...

Quote of the day? Guys?
:laugh:

Offline CJ

• Veteran
« Reply #7075 on: August 10, 2017, 04:02:53 PM »

Quote of the day? Guys?
:laugh:

;D Get your mind out of the gutter!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #7076 on: August 10, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7077 on: August 10, 2017, 05:35:23 PM »

Quote of the day? Guys?

쓋! Is it too late to submit an entry?!

I'm not shitting on everyone.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7078 on: August 11, 2017, 02:02:50 AM »
I wonder if she also flips out when she sees non-Koreans use chopsticks!

this reminded me of this excellent article: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2017/02/626_194257.html

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7079 on: August 14, 2017, 04:12:26 PM »
I come back from lunch and find bleach spots on my t-shirt and pants.  I'm not sure if it's from the school bathroom where the kids cleaned or the restaurant I ate at. It just makes me mad that this is a shirt and a pair of pants ruined!!!!

>:(

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment