November 18, 2017, 11:50:02 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563651 times)

gidget

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7040 on: August 29, 2017, 09:43:26 PM »
I've a new CT and I'm seeing a disturbing indication of things to come: she naps in the afternoon and as soon as the last school bell rings she wants to discuss class planning. Once was OK, but now there's a definite pattern filled with lots of round and round the mulberry bush.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7041 on: August 30, 2017, 05:53:27 AM »
I've a new CT and I'm seeing a disturbing indication of things to come: she naps in the afternoon and as soon as the last school bell rings she wants to discuss class planning. Once was OK, but now there's a definite pattern filled with lots of round and round the mulberry bush.

Time your own nap strategically~

gidget

« Reply #7042 on: August 30, 2017, 07:57:56 AM »
I'm better with blunt instruments than strategic thinking. How would you strategically nap?

Offline CJ

• Veteran
« Reply #7043 on: August 30, 2017, 08:33:07 AM »
Stop trying to indoctrinate every Tom, Mohammad and Lin who steps onto Korean soil with effin' Dokdo! Dokdo doesn't represent world peace AT ALL!!!

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/08/177_235580.html

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7044 on: August 30, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »
Goodbye, awesome principal  :cry:

May your replacement not be horrible. 

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7045 on: August 30, 2017, 09:14:05 AM »
Stop trying to indoctrinate every Tom, Mohammad and Lin who steps onto Korean soil with effin' Dokdo! Dokdo doesn't represent world peace AT ALL!!!

If anything it represents the opposite since Dokdo's history begins and ends with the current 70 year dispute over its ownership. Both sides' historical arguments for ownership are vague and inconclusive. The reality most likely is no one gave a crap about 46 acres of bird shit stained rock in the middle of nowhere until it became a symbol and subsequent center of some decent fishing and a potential source of natural gas.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7046 on: August 30, 2017, 09:14:49 AM »
I'm tired of sticking out like a sore thumb here. My town is small, so they're not as used to seeing foreigners. But omg, stop just sticking your hand is my hair, stop staring like I have a growth on my neck, and stop trying to talk to me when I'm running on the track.

Offline CJ

• Veteran
« Reply #7047 on: August 30, 2017, 09:32:23 AM »

If anything it represents the opposite since Dokdo's history begins and ends with the current 70 year dispute over its ownership. Both sides' historical arguments for ownership are vague and inconclusive. The reality most likely is no one gave a crap about 46 acres of bird shit stained rock in the middle of nowhere until it became a symbol and subsequent center of some decent fishing and a potential source of natural gas.

I wouldn't give a toss about Dokdo; however, wherever I turn, it's in my face. From seeing a newspaper article, to seeing a CD-ROM in an elementary school with Dokdo on the cover, to seeing Dokdo as one of the presentation options in my high school, to seeing Koreans in my hometown giving out Dokdo information and to the memory of my EPIK orientation several years ago where we all had to listen to some ajosshi bang on about how, without a shadow of a doubt,  Dokdo is Korean territory; I never want to see or hear that loathsome two syllable D word again. Wishful thinking I know.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7048 on: August 30, 2017, 11:42:46 AM »
I'm better with blunt instruments than strategic thinking. How would you strategically nap?

I had in mind timing your nap at the very time that she was ready to talk lessons, but that's hardly the only strategy in strategic napping. But yeah, that is kind of passive aggressive. Try the blunt object route.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7049 on: August 30, 2017, 12:06:04 PM »
I saw a roach this morning that refused to run when I approached it. It accepted its fate, which, in retrospect, I now realize was a bad omen.

I swear to God that the only thing keeping the students from burning the school down today is the bottle of hairspray that I've been pretending is a cattle prod. I haven't touched any of them with it. But they respect its authority, for some reason.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7050 on: August 30, 2017, 01:12:58 PM »
I've got this new third grader. He spent four years in Canada I guess. I asked the class if they knew my name (I've taught at this school before) and he suggested "Donald Trump" and "Adolf Hitler". That's just the beginning. My entire first class with him, it's nothing but a relentless torrent of swear words, memes and highly offensive name-calling out of this kid. It's like he's every Internet troll you've ever rolled your eyes at compacted into one chubby little third grader. The only saving grace is the other kids don't understand him and don't seem to find him funny at all. He also doesn't seem mean-spirited about it. He participated in the game and mostly behaves just fine. It's like he's just memorized the worst parts of the Internet without knowing what any of it means.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7051 on: August 30, 2017, 01:20:38 PM »
I've got this new third grader. He spent four years in Canada I guess. I asked the class if they knew my name (I've taught at this school before) and he suggested "Donald Trump" and "Adolf Hitler". That's just the beginning. My entire first class with him, it's nothing but a relentless torrent of swear words, memes and highly offensive name-calling out of this kid. It's like he's every Internet troll you've ever rolled your eyes at compacted into one chubby little third grader. The only saving grace is the other kids don't understand him and don't seem to find him funny at all. He also doesn't seem mean-spirited about it. He participated in the game and mostly behaves just fine. It's like he's just memorized the worst parts of the Internet without knowing what any of it means.

I had a student similar to that, although he hadn't lived abroad, but seemed to search the internet for this kind of language.  He would say 'What the f***' and he'd taught the other boys about 'johnson'.  So I'd hear, 'teacher, oh my johnson' from the boys a few times a day.  Or if they were having speaking practice, they'd call themselves 'johnson'.  I'd just nod. 

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7052 on: August 30, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »
I have a new student who's the most scared looking low energy 3rd grader (elementary) I've ever seen :/ I feel bad for him because that whole class is really energetic and extremely into English. They're all really nice kids and they tried to help him but he just sulked to the back of the classroom and decided not to participate :/ He's been here a week and apparently he wants nothing to do with the other kids even in other classes, but they're constantly excited to see him and all wanted to be his partner :/

Hoping their cheeriness rubs off on him eventually...

gidget

« Reply #7053 on: August 30, 2017, 02:15:15 PM »

I had in mind timing your nap at the very time that she was ready to talk lessons, but that's hardly the only strategy in strategic napping. But yeah, that is kind of passive aggressive. Try the blunt object route.

It's home time when she wants to talk. I missed 2 buses. But it's OK. I've rediscovered sugar. By the bucketload. It makes everything good and happy and fluffy unicorns and cute puppies and I have enough energy and sweetness to happily send her the same file to her for the 5th time this week.

Sugar makes the world go round.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7054 on: August 30, 2017, 03:40:51 PM »
I have a new student who's the most scared looking low energy 3rd grader (elementary) I've ever seen :/ I feel bad for him because that whole class is really energetic and extremely into English. They're all really nice kids and they tried to help him but he just sulked to the back of the classroom and decided not to participate :/ He's been here a week and apparently he wants nothing to do with the other kids even in other classes, but they're constantly excited to see him and all wanted to be his partner :/

He might just need some time.  Had a new 4th grader last year who needed a bit of time to adjust (I think there's something more going on than the typical student though).  He was really emotional at first but all his classmates persisted in being kind to him and a few months later I noticed a big difference.  He doesn't always participate but he seems generally content nowadays.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7055 on: August 31, 2017, 07:41:45 AM »

He might just need some time.  Had a new 4th grader last year who needed a bit of time to adjust (I think there's something more going on than the typical student though).  He was really emotional at first but all his classmates persisted in being kind to him and a few months later I noticed a big difference.  He doesn't always participate but he seems generally content nowadays.

Yeah I can see how the other kids might be "too nice" and outgoing for him if he's an introvert. I hope it gets better for him cuz everyone else is extremely outgoing in his class o.o

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7056 on: August 31, 2017, 08:05:06 AM »

Yeah I can see how the other kids might be "too nice" and outgoing for him if he's an introvert. I hope it gets better for him cuz everyone else is extremely outgoing in his class o.o

I like to think there's always a place for an introvert.  Hope he ends up adjusting well!  If everyone is nice and accepting of him then I imagine he'll be okay. 

Offline Kaynadian

• Adventurer
« Reply #7057 on: August 31, 2017, 08:18:04 AM »
I work at a couple of middle schools and a high school. For the last two years my co-teachers have asked me to lead my own conversation classes on whatever topics I choose. I have enjoyed being able to choose my own topics.
However this semester I have a substitute co-teacher who has insisted that I follow the textbook. Ok, fine, my job is to be as useful to the Korean-English teachers as possible.
We sat down last week and discussed which pages I would teach this week and what he needed from me.
Today, I come in prepared to teach the pages he had requested I teach and I went to discuss with him any last details.
"Oh I already taught these pages. What will you teach today?"
WTF? Do you really need me to teach from the book then?
Luckily I have another lesson I can teach.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7058 on: August 31, 2017, 08:23:59 AM »
I work at a couple of middle schools and a high school. For the last two years my co-teachers have asked me to lead my own conversation classes on whatever topics I choose. I have enjoyed being able to choose my own topics.
However this semester I have a substitute co-teacher who has insisted that I follow the textbook. Ok, fine, my job is to be as useful to the Korean-English teachers as possible.
We sat down last week and discussed which pages I would teach this week and what he needed from me.
Today, I come in prepared to teach the pages he had requested I teach and I went to discuss with him any last details.

By which they meant they skimmed taught that part.   ;D  And the students already forgot. 

Just tell them you will focus on the conversation part of the chapter.  Korean teachers very rarely touch that part. 

Offline Kaynadian

• Adventurer
« Reply #7059 on: August 31, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »

By which they meant they skimmed taught that part.   ;D  And the students already forgot. 

Just tell them you will focus on the conversation part of the chapter.  Korean teachers very rarely touch that part. 

The conversation parts were what I was supposed to teach but apparently he already did them.