September 27, 2017, 03:19:17 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 492521 times)

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7040 on: August 04, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »
It's not enough to register in NEIS to take a Friday vacation afternoon off, gotta go bow and scrape to the principal in his office. Forget it.

Offline SteveBruce

• Adventurer
« Reply #7041 on: August 04, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »
It's not enough to register in NEIS to take a Friday vacation afternoon off, gotta go bow and scrape to the principal in his office. Forget it.

please understand

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #7042 on: August 04, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
Here I am chillin' in the office. Only teacher on the whole floor.....
At least camp is over....
Why am I here again? Oh yeah... diligence?!?!?!

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7043 on: August 04, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
Gotta get in one more rant before vacation!!

I've told my CT several times that I like spicy food, yet every time we contemplate eating something that has even the slightest hint of spice she goes "oh but it's spicy.. I don't know if you can..." HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL THIS WOMAN I LIKE SPICY FOOD.

Today she brought in that spicy ramen I guess because she thought it would be funny for me to eat it. I've tried it before, and I told her so. She talked about the videos she saw of foreigners trying it and how it's so funny. I asked her if she likes it and she said no, it's too spicy.

So she's got this thing in her head about me not being able to handle spice because I'm not Korean, but our spice tolerances are about the same. She will not accept this fact, and makes me watch famous waygook in Korea youtube videos of them eating spicy foods. I told her my family members love spicy food and have really high tolerances and she looks at me with her eyes wide and asks "did you ever eat spice before you came to Korea?" She actually thinks Korea is the only country that has spicy food.

Why can't she get it through her head that some non Koreans like spicy food? Why does she have some mental block against absorbing new information?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:27:32 PM by sevenpm »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #7044 on: August 04, 2017, 06:38:22 PM »
Why can't she get it through her head that some non Koreans like spicy food? Why does she have some mental block against absorbing new information?

:police: TORONTO CHICKEN WINGS RESTAURANT *eats "Suicide wings XXX" wings* "Holy fukk man, these are hot!"

:police: STAFF ROOM AT SCHOOL *eats side dish kimchi that comes with jjajangmyeon delivery*  :police:
  :-* 와ㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏ So talented! *room erupts in applause and VP gives me a 25 000W GC to E-Mart*
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7045 on: August 04, 2017, 11:38:59 PM »
sup dudes

Regarding the soup/soap mixup, I'm really glad he clarified. My husband and I frequently reference a condition called "soup pits" because for some reason I think BO smells like Campbell's canned soup.

Also, if you learn a language for ten years, you should have some vague competence. Just my opinion.

byeeeee

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7046 on: August 05, 2017, 12:39:04 AM »
sup dudes

Regarding the soup/soap mixup, I'm really glad he clarified. My husband and I frequently reference a condition called "soup pits" because for some reason I think BO smells like Campbell's canned soup.

Also, if you learn a language for ten years, you should have some vague competence. Just my opinion.

byeeeee

Who are you? It's been a whiiiiille. Also, BO smells like cumin to me.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7047 on: August 05, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »

I've told my CT several times that I like spicy food, yet every time we contemplate eating something that has even the slightest hint of spice she goes "oh but it's spicy.. I don't know if you can..." HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL THIS WOMAN I LIKE SPICY FOOD.

Today she brought in that spicy ramen I guess because she thought it would be funny for me to eat it. I've tried it before, and I told her so. She talked about the videos she saw of foreigners trying it and how it's so funny. I asked her if she likes it and she said no, it's too spicy.

So she's got this thing in her head about me not being able to handle spice because I'm not Korean, but our spice tolerances are about the same. She will not accept this fact, and makes me watch famous waygook in Korea youtube videos of them eating spicy foods. I told her my family members love spicy food and have really high tolerances and she looks at me with her eyes wide and asks "did you ever eat spice before you came to Korea?" She actually thinks Korea is the only country that has spicy food.

Just a thing- there is a chance that there was some incident where a previous foreign teacher either was totally intolerant of spice OR said they like spicy things and then got something that was too spicy and freaked out.

Don't take it too personally.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7048 on: August 05, 2017, 04:06:58 PM »

Just a thing- there is a chance that there was some incident where a previous foreign teacher either was totally intolerant of spice OR said they like spicy things and then got something that was too spicy and freaked out.

Yeah, don't take it personally. Steels is right. Just let things pass you by. You'll be healthier for it. I came back from Korea and got a government job. People bitch more here than anything I saw in Korea.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7049 on: August 06, 2017, 11:01:43 AM »
quote - I definitely agree that many people have unreasonable expectations of Korean here in Korea with regards to English. I don't think we're entitled to English everywhere we go, and I think it's absurd when people whine about things like that. I'm with you there

I can't recall anyone on here saying they're entitled to English everywhere they go in Korea. What usually happens is someone complains that the people at immigration or an international hotel or tourist information don't speak English and someone like De Martino accuses them of being whiny entitled westerners with crap Korean language skills, who expect English everywhere they go. And so the cycle continues.

Not in this thread recently, no, you're right. I know I've heard people complaining about a lack English in places where I don't think there's really any reasonable right to expect it, though, both on this site and in real life. I don't mean places like immigration or government offices, I mean places/people like cashiers at convenience stores or salespeople at clothes stores. I think people who complain about it are vastly outnumbered by the people who don't think it's a big deal, but it does happen.

At any rate, I said that mostly in an effort to try to meet Mr.D somewhere in the middle or add something to my post that he could agree with. I find that when you do that with people who will argue about everything, it tempers them a little and makes them a bit more pleasant to deal with than if you just stick to confrontation mode from start to finish.

A cautionary tale about what can happen if you can't speak at least survival English.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4763774/Elderly-South-Korean-tourist-reported-missing-London-family.html

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7050 on: August 06, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »

Wow!  So, regardless of what they told their coteacher, the fact that she may have met 1 person in the past who didn't/couldn't eat spicy food means she can continue to believe that all non-Koreans are incapable of eating spicy food?  Really, when a similar associative argument is made against Koreans (you change "all" to "some" in many of your pointless replies) you have a conniption fit and mount that high horse of yours and gallop to save Korea's good name.

They told their coteacher that they can eat spicy food, they have demonstrated this to her many times, she refuses to change her stance. 

I wonder if she also flips out when she sees non-Koreans use chopsticks!

Following your logic, i once saw a Korean peeing in the street, so, i will treat all Koreans as if they do the same.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:30:25 PM by sligo »

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7051 on: August 06, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »
I've had the same problem as sevenpm. I grew up eating spicy food and can handle it better than most Koreans, but no matter how many times I have demonstrated this at lunch and those dinners we have to go on from time to time, some of the KTs always act like spicy food is my kryptonite. At this point I absolutely refuse to believe that they haven't learned from their many observations that I can, in fact, eat spicy food and can tolerate levels much higher than most of them (like, seriously, this isn't a one time thing -- it's a weekly experience). I'm pretty sure that for at least some of them it comes from a detrimental mindset, one that normally doesn't play out beyond certain settings (such as the dinner table), but one that's there nonetheless. And from some of the veiled expressions I catch from time to time (and the looks I catch my coTs tossing a few of their coworkers after they've made some previously debunked comment about my "sensitivity" to spicy food), I've come to believe that it's like an attack on their perceived uniqueness. So they're always on the lookout for a chance to reassert their biases (and to confirm them), even when they know it's bullshit.

I don't take it personally, but I can understand the frustration that can come from it because it's stupid and frequent enough be considered condescending. And it's not some cultural misunderstanding, either, because Koreans would get pretty offended themselves if the tables were turned. I've seen it. 

I mean, is it worth getting bent out of shape for?

No. Even when you get that one jackass who's trying to get you bent out of shape over it (because those guys exist, too).

But it's definitely worth a rant or two.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:34:14 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7052 on: August 06, 2017, 02:19:33 PM »

Wow!  So, regardless of what they told their coteacher, the fact that she may have met 1 person in the past who didn't/couldn't eat spicy food means she can continue to believe that all non-Koreans are incapable of eating spicy food?  Really, when a similar associative argument is made against Koreans (you change "all" to "some" in many of your pointless replies) you have a conniption fit and mount that high horse of yours and gallop to save Korea's good name.

They told their coteacher that they can eat spicy food, they have demonstrated this to her many times, she refuses to change her stance. 

Following your logic, i once saw a Korean peeing in the street, so, i will treat all Koreans as if they do the same.

That wasn't my point. What I'm saying is that she is undoubtedly worried about her having some sort of negative reaction and getting angry/sick/going hungry because of it. She is acting out of concern (unlike your pee example).

There's nothing wrong with being cautious and concerned for someone you have a working relationship with. The lady would probably feel mortified if she did eat it and it WAS too spicy and probably thinks she'll hate Korean food forever or something.

All I'm saying is that we don't know what prior interactions took place that caused this excessive caution. We also have to remember that for every foreigner that has been fine with the spice, our CTs have probably encountered one who couldn't handle it at all, and one who thought they could handle it but couldn't.

And again, this is not the same as forming a bigoted negative opinion about someone. Acting out of concern is not the same as acting out of bigotry and hostility.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7053 on: August 06, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »

That wasn't my point. What I'm saying is that she is undoubtedly worried about her having some sort of negative reaction and getting angry/sick/going hungry because of it. She is acting out of concern (unlike your pee example).

There's nothing wrong with being cautious and concerned for someone you have a working relationship with. The lady would probably feel mortified if she did eat it and it WAS too spicy and probably thinks she'll hate Korean food forever or something.

All I'm saying is that we don't know what prior interactions took place that caused this excessive caution. We also have to remember that for every foreigner that has been fine with the spice, our CTs have probably encountered one who couldn't handle it at all, and one who thought they could handle it but couldn't.

And again, this is not the same as forming a bigoted negative opinion about someone. Acting out of concern is not the same as acting out of bigotry and hostility.

The mental gymnastics you use to come to this conclusion are really something.

Offline Athena

• Waygookin
« Reply #7054 on: August 06, 2017, 08:34:19 PM »
How did "desk-warming" days become a "thing"?  When I first came to Korea I lived in Jeollanam-do (10 years ago) and nobody ever did a desk-warming day. Ever.  We did long-ass camps (4 weeks), but we got paid for them (like double our salary).  Our main co-teacher was there and helped as well.  It could be fun because the schools had funds to make them so. I didn't mind doing camps, cause I was paid and I had sufficient funds to make them memorable....
What the **** happened? Camps are included in our pay, and there seems to be minimal funds to aid us in our efforts to even make camps fun anymore.....I've used my own funds in my camps........what a ****** wrong-doing on all levels...

Many moons ago foreigners would hear about some other guy at different school with a better vacation; thus, calling MOE to complain. The guy that told us this at the EPIK orientation said MOE would get like 30+ calls a day when the vacation time approached. So a standard amount of vacation became more like a quick band aid instead of just giving us the whole vacation off like a normal public school teacher. I imagine they force us to be at school to not piss off the schools that just in case - for whatever reason - the school wants you to be there.

Considering the education department is broke, you'd think they'd be shaving off extras costs - camp/deskwarming - but it seems like they just keep in policy out of spite, because it's not benefiting anyone, just wasting money.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7055 on: August 06, 2017, 11:25:42 PM »

It's not mental gymnastics to conclude that the person MIGHT be genuinely concerned about you freaking out over some spice based on passed experiences with other foreign teachers.

We all know some Koreans are obsessed with how people feel regarding food. Is it really a stretch to imagine that one is worried sick about her NET eating something spicy and having a bad reaction?

Offline Pattinsons

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7056 on: August 06, 2017, 11:35:40 PM »

It's not mental gymnastics to conclude that the person MIGHT be genuinely concerned about you freaking out over some spice based on passed experiences with other foreign teachers.

We all know some Koreans are obsessed with how people feel regarding food. Is it really a stretch to imagine that one is worried sick about her NET eating something spicy and having a bad reaction?

I don't buy this line of thinking. If she was so concerned why would she have bought the spicy ramen? Read the original post. She thought it would be funny to see his reaction.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:08:26 AM by Pattinsons »

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7057 on: August 07, 2017, 05:01:24 AM »

I'd probably say it isn't general concern, most likely not really listening to what the OP is saying.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7058 on: August 07, 2017, 11:03:49 AM »
Thirteen years here now and they still ask me if I can handle the spicy food. To be fair, my old co-teacher was perfectly aware I liked it spicy. The new ones seem to be taking a long time to catch on.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7059 on: August 07, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »
I'm so sick of camp. I try to stay positive but 10 days spread across three weeks is too much. I just want it to be over so I can go on my (very short) vacation. I developed a terrible cold over the weekend and I'm not in the mood to smile or do anything today.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment