November 19, 2017, 01:39:38 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563763 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7000 on: August 28, 2017, 08:14:32 AM »
It wasn't until I was a teenager that my mother started cooking things that weren't boiled, baked, mashed or whipped (her pizza was terrible.)

Was it boiled, baked, mashed, or whipped? :laugh:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7001 on: August 28, 2017, 08:17:22 AM »
I got hot sauce in my bag

Is this your signature line on Tinder?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7002 on: August 28, 2017, 08:23:44 AM »

Is this your signature line on Tinder?

Sharyce?!

gidget

« Reply #7003 on: August 28, 2017, 08:26:28 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7004 on: August 28, 2017, 08:26:37 AM »
It wasn't until I was a teenager that my mother started cooking things that weren't boiled, baked, mashed or whipped (her pizza was terrible.)

I feel like putting some pizza in a blender would be kind of good. Like, liquid dough tomato slurry.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7005 on: August 28, 2017, 08:43:17 AM »

I feel like putting some pizza in a blender would be kind of good. Like, liquid dough tomato slurry.

Pizza smoothie? (tomatoes are a fruit, right?)  :laugh:

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7006 on: August 28, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »

Pizza smoothie? (tomatoes are a fruit, right?)  :laugh:

Yes.

Also, this belongs in the Happy thread, but I'll post it here instead because I'm lazy. Our queen and savior Taylor Swift has just dropped a new single with which we are blessed.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7007 on: August 28, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
This is urgent, friends.

Sometimes I hate myself and therefore have a craving for hot dogs. But I have no idea which ones to buy as I fear that any Korean version is either: Five inches in circumference or disgusting or both. Has anyone found a brand here that might mimic the specific repulsiveness of an American hot dog?

And, to make this more rant-y, first grade middle schoolers are the worst people on the planet.

Offline zedsonata

• Adventurer
« Reply #7008 on: August 28, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »
I'm not American, but those costco hot dogs seem pretty American to me.
You can buy them pre made in a hotdog bun at the food court, or you can buy them in a packet with the other hotdogs.

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7009 on: August 28, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »
I made spaghetti last night for the PILs, and despite FIL complaining it was greasy, they ate it right up. MIL did require kimchi as a side though, saying they went well together. Progress!

what kind of spaghetti was it?

i've heard this from a lot of koreans: western food is too greasy and salty

when korean food is some of the greasiest, saltiest cuisine i have ever eaten (i love korean food though, don't get me wrong, but come on)

e.g. we went out for 곱창 the other day. wife always complains she doesn't like chinese food as it's too 'greasy', but the worker was literally ladeling out the grease and oil from the bowl of 곱창!

i don't know what the rules are!

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7010 on: August 28, 2017, 10:50:23 AM »
I made spaghetti last night for the PILs, and despite FIL complaining it was greasy, they ate it right up. MIL did require kimchi as a side though, saying they went well together. Progress!

when korean food is some of the greasiest, saltiest cuisine i have ever eaten (i love korean food though, don't get me wrong, but come on)

e.g. we went out for 곱창 the other day. wife always complains she doesn't like chinese food as it's too 'greasy', but the worker was literally ladeling out the grease and oil from the bowl of 곱창!

I had a Korean co-teacher go to Thailand a few years ago, and she complained about how Thai food has a really strong smell.   :rolleyes:

One of the rules of 'deonjangjjigae' is to not each too much, because it is really salty and 'not good for your health' to each too much. 

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7011 on: August 28, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »
This is urgent, friends.

Sometimes I hate myself and therefore have a craving for hot dogs. But I have no idea which ones to buy as I fear that any Korean version is either: Five inches in circumference or disgusting or both. Has anyone found a brand here that might mimic the specific repulsiveness of an American hot dog?

And, to make this more rant-y, first grade middle schoolers are the worst people on the planet.

Fixed that for you.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7012 on: August 28, 2017, 11:29:52 AM »

Don't mind the rules; just know the deck is stacked.

It was an oil pasta, in fact (no particular recipe, just a hodgepodge of what I found in the fridge). I think that was just FIL's unique way of not recognizing anybody's hard work besides his own, and a signal that he wanted someone to get him the marinated onions out of the fridge to help his stomach cut the grease -- A signal that I missed; he ended up getting it himself.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7013 on: August 28, 2017, 11:37:42 AM »

Whoa what? I've never seen any Chinese 곱창 places anywhere in Korea. Where was this? If it's anything like the Chinese intestine I used to eat back home, I've been trying to find something like that for years.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7014 on: August 28, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »

Not enough liquid in pizza to blend it. Nor does cheese blend very well. You'd end up with a greasy, doughy paste if you tried hard enough I imagine. Batter that up and deep fry it and I bet it'd taste pretty good while simultaneously giving you a heart attack.

She did at least bake the pizza. Usually not quite enough such that the crust was slightly uncooked.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7015 on: August 28, 2017, 11:46:39 AM »

Whoa what? I've never seen any Chinese 곱창 places anywhere in Korea. Where was this? If it's anything like the Chinese intestine I used to eat back home, I've been trying to find something like that for years.

No no. The wife complains about Chinese food because it's greasy, but doesn't complain about (Korean) GOPE-CHAHNG despite it being served with a bowl of oil. He's just pointing out the inconsistency.

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7016 on: August 28, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
haha. wasn't chinese, just that it was WAY greasier than chinese food, which she won't eat because it's apparently 'too greasy'

now i do want to try some chinese-style gopchang though....

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7017 on: August 28, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »
My theory:

I think some Koreans say "too greasy/salty" the same way some westerners say "too spicy".

All three are just saying "I don't like this", but grease, salt, and capsaicin are three things that are socially acceptable attributes of a dish to object to.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7018 on: August 28, 2017, 12:09:52 PM »
So I've been rocking a bitchin' suntan lately after a good amount of time spent outdoors this summer....

Kids keep saying I look sick!  :rolleyes:

Dammit this is the healthiest I'll look all year!

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #7019 on: August 28, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »
My theory:

I think some Koreans say "too greasy/salty" the same way some westerners say "too spicy".

All three are just saying "I don't like this", but grease, salt, and capsaicin are three things that are socially acceptable attributes of a dish to object to.

I don't see how saying, "It's too greasy [therefore I don't like it]," is any better than just saying, "I don't like it," although by calling it greasy, one's distaste could be attributed to the dish itself (It's meant to be greasy, but I don't like grease) rather than the way it was prepared (I don't like it, so you must not have prepared it well.)

Is this your way of telling me my pasta sucks? :cry: