November 18, 2017, 11:48:51 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563647 times)

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6960 on: August 23, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »
Things that are apparently not okay: Taking sick days.

Things that are a-okay: Taking cold medicine at your desk and teacher while high on it.
Sooo... can't take one or two days off, but you *can* be 8 miles high for months on end. ... sounds okay to me! ...uh... you know, if I were into that sort of thing...  :lipsrsealed:

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6961 on: August 23, 2017, 12:34:31 PM »
Can I rant about something that's not even happened yet?

The national training exercise is at 2pm today (not an issue) but it is raining cats and dogs outside. Our assembly point is across the playing field... I've already had to cross it twice to teach in the other building and even with an umbrella I still got soaked.

Fingers crossed someone decides to change the assembly point... and yes, I know that our enemies don't care about the weather when/if/should they attack, but I don't want a classroom full of soggy children later  :sad:

Don't go.  I won't be.  Hide in the English room.  Bombs do not affect English. :lipsrsealed:

This is what I will be doing.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #6962 on: August 23, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »
I know that our enemies don't care about the weather when/if/should they attack, but I don't want a classroom full of soggy children later  :sad:

Wow. You've gone full native. Congratulations.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6963 on: August 23, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »
I know that our enemies don't care about the weather when/if/should they attack, but I don't want a classroom full of soggy children later  :sad:

SK isn't NK's only enemy, dude. There's a lot of nationalities that would consider them the enemy.

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #6964 on: August 23, 2017, 12:49:45 PM »

SK isn't NK's only enemy, dude. There's a lot of nationalities that would consider them the enemy.

Not really. A nuisance sure, but an enemy? The Norks aren't exactly threatening to nuke Dublin or Johannesburg.

gidget

« Reply #6965 on: August 23, 2017, 12:50:17 PM »
I don't understand how, when an adult asks if they can have one thing (" Can I have this?") they think it gives them the right to take absolutely everything.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6966 on: August 23, 2017, 12:55:12 PM »

Seems kind of a no-brainer to consider anybody who consistently threatens to launch rockets in one's general vicinity an enemy, right?.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6967 on: August 23, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
Can I rant about something that's not even happened yet?

The national training exercise is at 2pm today (not an issue) but it is raining cats and dogs outside. Our assembly point is across the playing field... I've already had to cross it twice to teach in the other building and even with an umbrella I still got soaked.

Fingers crossed someone decides to change the assembly point... and yes, I know that our enemies don't care about the weather when/if/should they attack, but I don't want a classroom full of soggy children later  :sad:

Don't go.  I won't be.  Hide in the English room.  Bombs do not affect English. :lipsrsealed:

lol no one ever tells me about them and the only confirmation I have in knowing it's not real is if the admin lady is still here  :undecided:

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #6968 on: August 23, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »

Seems kind of a no-brainer to consider anybody who consistently threatens to launch rockets in one's general vicinity an enemy, right?.

Which general vicinity are we talking about? The peninsula or the "lots of other countries" that consider the Norks to be "our enemy". The US, South Korea, and Japan maybe. But even many South Koreans would hesitate to call the Norks "our enemy".

Just sayin'.

My enemy on the peninsula is my neighbour who constantly slams his door, and some snotty kid who works down at the local Lotteria. He'll get his comeuppance one of these days. I've them to content with. I can't do everything.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6969 on: August 23, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »

Which general vicinity are we talking about? The peninsula or the "lots of other countries" that consider the Norks to be "our enemy". The US, South Korea, and Japan maybe. But even many South Koreans would hesitate to call the Norks "our enemy".

Just sayin'.

My enemy on the peninsula is my neighbour who constantly slams his door, and some snotty kid who works down at the local Lotteria. He'll get his comeuppance one of these days. I've them to content with. I can't do everything.

Your argument went from "you've gone full native" to "even SKs don't call them enemy"

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6970 on: August 23, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »

Just sayin'.
Well, I'm talking about *my* general vicinity, mostly. But, because you seem like a decent chap, I could broaden this area to include your general vicinity too. :smiley:

Oh, yeah, that guy. He's a right bleeder.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6971 on: August 23, 2017, 01:25:14 PM »

Just sayin'.

I kinda thought this was referring to theoretical enemies. Like, anyone who would actually follow through with an attack. Any and all enemies are not likely to care about the weather if they were going to drop bombs on a school.

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #6972 on: August 23, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »

Just sayin'.

Your argument went from "you've gone full native" to "even SKs don't call them enemy"

I said "many" South Koreans. 

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6973 on: August 23, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »

Just sayin'.

I said "many" South Koreans.

You also said "native" which implies it's a SK thing, but saying that "many" SKs don't care doesn't really make it "native." Refer to above gif.

You don't actually have to reply. I'm on that cold medicine and don't really care about this at all.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:38:20 PM by jddavis7 »

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #6974 on: August 23, 2017, 02:40:32 PM »
Referring to the Norks as "our enemy" is a South Korean thing. There are, however, dissenters in every group.

Still a bit odd for an expat working on a temporary visa here to say "our enemy".

Anyhoo.

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #6975 on: August 23, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »

Just sayin'.

I kinda thought this was referring to theoretical enemies. Like, anyone who would actually follow through with an attack. Any and all enemies are not likely to care about the weather if they were going to drop bombs on a school.

Ooops, what did I start here then?

And yes, JahMoo I did mean our theoretical enemies.

Just in case anyone cares (probably not) we didn't have to go outside because the lightening started! I was a bit disappointed that there was no air raid siren though.

And living next to the DMZ up in the mountains of Gangwondo, yep, I consider them the enemy!

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6976 on: August 23, 2017, 03:15:23 PM »
Interesting day today.

I was told at the end of last semester I would have another school added.  My coT told me that I go there today.

I arrive this morning, and they are surprised to see me.  They're not expecting me until September.   :-[

I have to take a bus midday to return to  my main school.  I'm told the bus comes at 11:55.  I leave school at 11:45 and wait until 12:10.  No bus.  I don't know if it came earlier than expected, and I'm afraid to wait later because I have 5th period class at my main school.  I walk back to school and they call me a taxi, which is expensive but my only option.

I return to my main school, and my coT is surprised they weren't expecting me.

:huh:

Why can't the teachers at my two schools communicate effectively?

gidget

« Reply #6977 on: August 24, 2017, 11:16:11 AM »
I'm having to squirrel away my English camp and classroom supplies. A new teacher (and TBF, another old CT who is now a homeroom teacher) has the very open-minded view:
What's yours is mine. What's mine is mine. Give me.
(That "give me" is a direct quote.)

They keep going through my cupboard and taking stuff because they "need it". They can't even manage to go down to the admin office to get basic office supplies!!

At the back of one of the cupboards I have a small bag of vitamin sweets to be used as prizes for camp. This new teacher went through everyone's cupboards while we were all out teaching. She came across this bag and got all excited because now she can give candy to the students every lesson. And more candy if students play a game! Because games can't have losers, the losers will get 1 candy and the winners will get 2.

4 days into the 2nd semester and my winter camp budget is screwed and my classroom games are now hobbled.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6978 on: August 24, 2017, 11:27:32 AM »
I'm having to squirrel away my English camp and classroom supplies. A new teacher (and TBF, another old CT who is now a homeroom teacher) has the very open-minded view:

They keep going through my cupboard and taking stuff because they "need it". They can't even manage to go down to the admin office to get basic office supplies!!

At the back of one of the cupboards I have a small bag of vitamin sweets to be used as prizes for camp. This new teacher went through everyone's cupboards while we were all out teaching. She came across this bag and got all excited because now she can give candy to the students every lesson. And more candy if students play a game! Because games can't have losers, the losers will get 1 candy and the winners will get 2.

4 days into the 2nd semester and my winter camp budget is screwed and my classroom games are now hobbled.
Steal it all back.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6979 on: August 24, 2017, 12:57:02 PM »

Steal it all back.

I would def make some noise about how my things were missing. Looks like you're gonna need a lock or some form of security with such sticky fingers around. I detest your school's new teacher already.  >:(