February 25, 2018, 09:24:57 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 722001 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6840 on: September 06, 2017, 08:50:41 AM »
Blue Jeans forever!

In stereo~ :shocked:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6841 on: September 06, 2017, 08:52:23 AM »

We also had an argument over her demanding students say "blue jeans" when talking about jeans because according to her it's more proper and according to me no one says that outside of country songs, but hey, naver's more reliable right?

omg for some reason the idea of saying "blue jeans" is just antiquated enough to sound really funny to me

I've had a coT try to dictate how I pronounce "a."   :undecided: :rolleyes:

Offline wanderlust8

• Veteran
« Reply #6842 on: September 06, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »
I was doing a game with my classes today. One group was being especially rowdy and would not listen. So I subtracted a point from their team. My co then goes and adds the point back when I'm not looking.
Frustrates me so much how teachers will baby these students. No wonder they won't listen to us.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6843 on: September 06, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »
Enough of the rice cakes already. Enough. I don't care if they're delicious, they're not for me. Stop offering them, please; as in, every day.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:46:23 AM by CJ »

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6844 on: September 06, 2017, 10:08:20 AM »
Enough of the rice cakes already. Enough. I don't care if they're delcious, they're not for me. Stop offering them, please; as in, every day.

FFS yes. Sometimes they're so vile I can't even give them away to students.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6845 on: September 06, 2017, 10:12:07 AM »
I hate rice cakes. Of any kind.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #6846 on: September 06, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »

We also had an argument over her demanding students say "blue jeans" when talking about jeans because according to her it's more proper and according to me no one says that outside of country songs, but hey, naver's more reliable right?

omg for some reason the idea of saying "blue jeans" is just antiquated enough to sound really funny to me

I've had a coT try to dictate how I pronounce "a."   :undecided: :rolleyes:

OR

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #6847 on: September 06, 2017, 10:37:46 AM »

I wonder how many people on this forum know who that is.  :sad:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6848 on: September 06, 2017, 10:39:21 AM »

I do.

How old do you have to be?

I'm 45... any younger?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6849 on: September 06, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »

I'm 35 and of course I know who that is! He's the funny looking dancing guy from Weezer's Buddy Holly video!

Everyone knows that lol  :wink:

Offline sevenpm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6850 on: September 06, 2017, 11:10:38 AM »
I was doing a game with my classes today. One group was being especially rowdy and would not listen. So I subtracted a point from their team. My co then goes and adds the point back when I'm not looking.
Frustrates me so much how teachers will baby these students. No wonder they won't listen to us.

There are zero consequences for actions here. Have Korean schools always been this soft on kids or is it a recent development?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6851 on: September 06, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »

I'm 35 and of course I know who that is! He's the funny looking dancing guy from Weezer's Buddy Holly video!

Everyone knows that lol  :wink:

I'm 25. You still lost me...

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6852 on: September 06, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
If you explained/taught the rule about subtracting a point for being loud/rowdy, etc., I would understand your frustration.

However, if you were simply being arbitrary, what your coteacher did is understandable and the "correct" thing to do.

As teachers, we need to be fair and consistent, not unfair and inconsistent.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #6853 on: September 06, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »
I do.

I'm 45... any younger?
I'm 35. But I think it's people 30 and under.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6854 on: September 06, 2017, 11:41:54 AM »
If you explained/taught the rule about subtracting a point for being loud/rowdy, etc., I would understand your frustration.

However, if you were simply being arbitrary, what your coteacher did is understandable and the "correct" thing to do.

As teachers, we need to be fair and consistent, not unfair and inconsistent.

I'm always on the opposite side of this. I'll explain clearly that if you're excessively loud or somehow cheating at whatever we're doing, there's a possibility a point will be removed. And then I'll be objective and consistent with what constitutes 'too loud.'

And then some Korean teachers will just arbitrarily add or subtract points with zero justification or clear reasoning of cause and effect. Which a) is unfair to students, and b) completely ruins any effort put into making sure the scoring of the game is fair annd fun. 

SMH.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #6855 on: September 06, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »
I'm 32, never seen an episode, but it's cultural now. Any North American who has eyes and ears over 25 should have picked it up at that point.

Buddy Holly music video. Is that the Forrest Gump treatment? Same FX process?

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6856 on: September 06, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »

It's just so weird to specify that jeans are blue outside of a song, but I do a teachers class and in it they're always trying to over-complicate words too. Or find a word so scientifically specific that the majority of English speakers have never heard it used in a conversation with a non doctor. One tried to tell me she had Chondromalacia patella the other day (I had to google it to find the term again). I told her "knee problems" or "knee pain" would be something better and easier to say but no. Naver wins again. She can't even say it, she'll just type it out and be like "this!" and expect someone to be like "oh yeah I know what that is!"

I think this week has just been especially bad for people not trusting my word choice o.o

Offline kimchi_mandu

• Veteran
« Reply #6857 on: September 06, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
I do.

I'm 45... any younger?

I'm 29 and British. I remember it being on tv loads when I was a kid, back when we only had 4 channels as well haha. I was just singing the Happy Days theme song to my boyfriend the other day as we were watching him in Arrested Development.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6858 on: September 06, 2017, 12:04:16 PM »
I do.

I'm 45... any younger?

I'm 29 and British. I remember it being on tv loads when I was a kid, back when we only had 4 channels as well haha. I was just singing the Happy Days theme song to my boyfriend the other day as we were watching him in Arrested Development.

I'm 55. You lost me...

GUFFER, MAKE THIS THREAD ACCESSIBLE FOR ALL PEOPLE!!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6859 on: September 06, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »

I do.

I'm 45... any younger?

27.  Only know it by having randomly picked up general pop culture, not from having actually seen an episode.