September 25, 2017, 07:05:39 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 490429 times)

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6800 on: July 19, 2017, 11:40:03 AM »
Chinguetti you just defined Korea.

Don't take it personally.... Remember how many Koreans waste so much time and money just to safe tiny amounts of money, in the process often losing much more money than their saving was actually worth.

Same mindset applies to their work.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:42:56 AM by z80 »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #6801 on: July 19, 2017, 11:48:03 AM »
Chinguetti you just defined Korea.

Don't take it personally.... Remember how many Koreans waste so much time and money just to safe tiny amounts of money, in the process often losing much more money than their saving was actually worth.

Same mindset applies to their work.

"Lighting bills to find pennies in the dark" comes to mind. 
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline JamSiManYo

• Adventurer
« Reply #6802 on: July 19, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
Man, what's with this site's verification procedures everywhere? Jesus..

Anyway, I think I just screwed myself. I'm a gyopo but I'm waiting for the Korean Govt to process the rescinding of my Korean Citizenship so.. I can't go to Korea on the F-4 until like, December of this year. So basically, no one's going to bat an eye my way. I talked with the consulate here and they said I could still teach abroad on the E-2, so I foolishly assumed this to be the case. Went ahead with gathering all of my documents including getting a f***ing channeler for my FBI CBC. I'm due to get it back next week or so. Getting the fingerprints done and the channeler fee cost me around 100 bucks, no big deal.
Well, that was until I realized I might have just wasted money seeing as how I might not even get a job until next spring. Since that's when I can actually market myself as a gyopo that is eligible for the F-4 FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF***-

The reason I went through with the channeler was that I wanted to start working this Fall as my grandmother is ill--she lives in Seoul--and there's no one there to really take care of her. But compound the fact that I look Korean, with a Korean name, with the added bonus of my non-eligibility for the F-4 until my rescinding process is finalized, I feel like I'm screwed. My qualifications are rather moot seeing as how my degree is unrelated to education. I do have my CELTA but I think I wasted my money on that as well because... I could have just gotten a cheaper TEFL. I mean, the course itself was very beneficial and I feel ready for whatever is to come my way but man I'm just bleeding myself of cash to just get to Korea.

Also, my friend informs me that most contracts now are offered to people looking to exploit the korean government's system by hiring you as a contractor instead of a teacher or something, wot?

[rant related to why I'm not eligible for my F visa, unrelated to main rant]
I was under the impression that once I become naturalized and make the vow to swear allegiance to the United States and yada yada yada, they would have at least notified the Korean government of my citizenship status. Especially since I have been living here for almost 20 years? I signed off papers agreeing to forfeit any and all other citizenships... god... I hate how governments do things. I was young at the time and I don't recall anyone even telling me I had to inform the Korean government directly. My parents didn't even know about this. 

feels better getting some of this out there. I still want to work in Korea but damn this is getting really frustrating.

I personally know a couple of people who were in that position, went through the same processes PLUS the application for EPIK, which is another huge undertaking. They have Korean sounding names and faces. One actually grew up in Korea for a nearly a decade and only became a US citizen within the past 10 years. You'll be fine if you can interview well and know your shit (this is where the CELTA comes in handy so, IMO, not a waste of money). Just don't put all your hopes on Seoul or Busan and you'll be fine.

For the renunciation of citizenship, I thought it was automatic for you after the age of 24? It sucks you have to go through this but you'll make out ahead afterwards. Cheer up!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:04:41 PM by JamSiManYo »

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #6803 on: July 19, 2017, 12:07:33 PM »
Man, what's with this site's verification procedures everywhere? Jesus..

Child ****** Muhhammad... There is to be no discussing of religion on this site!

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6804 on: July 19, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »
I'm so annoyed that the post office won't leave a package at my door. I have no idea how they decide what to leave, and of course I'm never home at deliver times. And for some reason, with this package, they won't even leave one of those 'we missed you' slips so I can call or take it to the post office.

Looks like I'm going to be playing this dance for the rest of the week.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6805 on: July 19, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »
I'm so annoyed that the post office won't leave a package at my door. I have no idea how they decide what to leave, and of course I'm never home at deliver times. And for some reason, with this package, they won't even leave one of those 'we missed you' slips so I can call or take it to the post office.

Do they not call you or send an SMS? All the various couriers call me, and the post office delivery guy calls me, too. And if I don't answer they'll send a text.

I'm in Seoul, though, so they might do things differently in not-Seoul.

Offline Skyehawks

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Veteran
« Reply #6806 on: July 19, 2017, 04:25:33 PM »
I live in the mountains in the middle of nowhere. Even here they text and call for every package. Heck, this is such a small town that if I do not respond or answer, They've just brought it to the school (It's across the street to the north of the school, my APT is across the street from my school to the east)

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6807 on: July 19, 2017, 04:27:10 PM »

Do they not call you or send an SMS? All the various couriers call me, and the post office delivery guy calls me, too. And if I don't answer they'll send a text.

They called, but I was in class. And the only texts I'm getting are the EMS tracking updates.

I left a note at my door this morning to tell them where I am (which is right down the road) and hopefully they'll come here if they deliver before I can get there.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:28:58 PM by jddavis7 »

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6808 on: July 19, 2017, 04:33:01 PM »
The lights have gone out because they're doing something in another part of the school.

The aircon is barely breathing out a slightly below temperature sigh.

So now I have to work in the heat and the dark....  :cry:

with a cold  :cry: :cry:

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6809 on: July 19, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
Any idea why the "Era of ‘Biological Annihilation’ Is Underway, Scientists Warn" was locked?
It was back on topic, and there were a couple comments at the end there that I really wanted to reply to.  :sad:

Anyway, I'm sick as a dog, can't speak over a whisper, and none of my coworkers were around to help add volume to my lesson.

We ended up playing a lot of quiet games like "sleeping elephants", "duck-duck-goose", "mock the textbook CD videos", and "Heads up 7 up".

On the plus side, I finally got some use out of those rape-whistle thingies they passed out to all the faculty last year.
Class too noisy? Fine. I get to shatter some ear-drums!  :azn:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:08:40 PM by kyndo »

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6810 on: July 19, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »

They called, but I was in class. And the only texts I'm getting are the EMS tracking updates.

I left a note at my door this morning to tell them where I am (which is right down the road) and hopefully they'll come here if they deliver before I can get there.

Weird. I always get an automated text from them. But - it's usually the same few delivery guys for each area, so it's likely the same three or four people who deliver almost all your parcels. Once they know that you just wanted it left at your door, they'll start to do that routinely.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6811 on: July 19, 2017, 05:04:30 PM »

Weird. I always get an automated text from them. But - it's usually the same few delivery guys for each area, so it's likely the same three or four people who deliver almost all your parcels. Once they know that you just wanted it left at your door, they'll start to do that routinely.

My delivery guy didn't want to leave international parcels at first. They can get into big trouble if it goes missing because they aren't supposed to just leave it.
I had my coworker explain and eventually we agreed a kind of hiding/more secure place just inside my building so now he does it automatically and sends me a text.

If it doesn't work out this time have someone call :)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #6812 on: July 19, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
They don't leave packages because if they did and it went missing, they would get blamed and be on the hook for it. You can always get things delivered to a convenience store.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6813 on: July 19, 2017, 05:13:08 PM »
They don't leave packages because if they did and it went missing, they would get blamed and be on the hook for it. You can always get things delivered to a convenience store.

Except they've left packages at my door before. The thing I'm waiting for is literally tags for shipping luggage back home. No one's going to steal that.  :laugh:

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6814 on: July 19, 2017, 05:14:33 PM »
Huh. Maybe my experience is the unusual one, then. I usually get about 10-15 packages delivered every month, and each and every one is the same process.

But Waygook.org user Mr. DeMartino is right - you can get it dropped off at a convenience store.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6815 on: July 19, 2017, 05:16:59 PM »
Huh. Maybe my experience is the unusual one, then. I usually get about 10-15 packages delivered every month, and each and every one is the same process.

But Waygook.org user Mr. DeMartino is right - you can get it dropped off at a convenience store.

I would prefer it get dropped of my school, hence the note I left. I'm a 5 minute walk from my school, and if they won't leave at my door, they might as well just bring it to me.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #6816 on: July 19, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »

Except they've left packages at my door before. The thing I'm waiting for is literally tags for shipping luggage back home. No one's going to steal that.  :laugh:

I should say they won't leave valuable seeming items. I have a feeling if it was a bag marked "socks" value=8000won they'd just leave them.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6817 on: July 19, 2017, 05:35:24 PM »

I should say they won't leave valuable seeming items. I have a feeling if it was a bag marked "socks" value=8000won they'd just leave them.

Disclaimer: not arguing, just posting different experiences -

I've had expensive stuff left for me before, too - I ordered 400,000 won worth of air purifier, various electronics, and other mid- to high-priced stuff and they've left it. I think a lot really comes down to them getting comfortable with leaving stuff, or also what they usually do for other people in your building. Definitely no one-size-fits-all answer to this.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6818 on: July 19, 2017, 06:18:00 PM »

"mock the textbook CD videos"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love doing this with my kids!!!!!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6819 on: July 19, 2017, 06:20:08 PM »
They called me during class again. I texted my location, and they haven't shown up to my school yet. Guess we'll continue this tomorrow.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment