November 19, 2017, 02:56:21 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564327 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6740 on: July 25, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
My coteacher and I spent a little bit of money so the kids could have lunch (and not cup ramen) because the admin wanker said no budget for you! Yet the music camp get kimbap from a local shop delivered. When we asked him about that, he said they music camp asked first, so now there is none left.

So we are sitting there just getting our food ready, shit for brains comes in and thinks he is going to eat some of our food because it's better than kimbap.

Coteacher dishes out the food, first to the children, then to me, then to himself, leaving nothing left. Turns to the admin guy and says, now there is none left. Admin guy goes off in a huff taking his empty plate with him.

I kinda love this turn of events  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6741 on: July 25, 2017, 12:21:35 PM »
Took a jaunt to the local ATM during lunch break to transfer some money home.  Kept getting errors  >:(  I've transferred funds successfully before so I have no idea what's up. 

Nobody at that bank speaks English so I might have to ask my coT to help me sort it out if the NH English line can't tell me what's wrong. 

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #6742 on: July 25, 2017, 12:28:51 PM »
No students at camp today after yesterday's disaster. Of my two students yesterday, one left to go to ACADEMY and the other wouldn't speak so I said **** it and dismissed her early. Granted, yesterday was a spectacular failure due in no small part to the lack of communication between my school and me.

So, back to the present, I come in today prepared. I had a movie with subtitles (Harry Potter), I was gonna Sort the kids, I was gonna talk about english vocabulary, some magical creatures, etc.

And nobody shows up. So I get berated for not teaching. Then the mother of the student I dismissed called to complain, so I get berated again. Then we go to lunch and my manager berates me a third time -- all in Korean and all to my coteachers -- about me, my camp, my speaking test from earlier in the quarter (which I was misinformed on when I had to do it), and 'waygookin' in general. Now, my coteacher has to have a "talk" with me.

If I didn't love my rural schools so much and I didn't have that loan disbersement hanging over my head until September 1, I'd be long ****** gone from this school.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6743 on: July 25, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »
 I get we have to do camp and deskwarming, I generally don't care. I grumble a bit to myself when the boredom sets in but otherwise it's not too bad.

However, every year, during camp time, my co worker (A contract teacher) and I have taken turns to leave early after camp. The other one stays and keeps on the computers.  This year though I think the education office has sent out a message reminding my schools of the working times. So....She's too worried. So we're staying.

Not a massive rant, just a bit pants.  :cry:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #6744 on: July 25, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »
Gyeonggi messaging system won't send files bigger than 20MB.

Why? To save data? It's an internal program. I could literally send 1TB of data and it wouldn't cost a cent, other than the processor power in the computer.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6745 on: July 25, 2017, 01:17:20 PM »

Why? To save data? It's an internal program. I could literally send 1TB of data and it wouldn't cost a cent, other than the processor power in the computer.

Pro tip:

Don't send files.

Send links.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #6746 on: July 25, 2017, 01:19:06 PM »

Pro tip:

Don't send files.

Send links.

I'm making my own shit for camp. You suggest I put them in google drive then?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6747 on: July 25, 2017, 01:27:55 PM »

Pro tip:

Don't send files.

Send links.

I'm making my own shit for camp. You suggest I put them in google drive then?

Or any other mutually accessible drive.

If it is an internal network, why make copies?

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6748 on: July 25, 2017, 01:39:09 PM »
I wish I had a day of deskwarming before camp. Tomorrow is the last day of classes and camp starts on Thursday. I just need one day to organize and prepare. I can't concentrate on anything in this office of shrieking harpies.

There must be a broken language pack in my computer, because that Gyeonggi messenger only shows question marks or those weird nonsense symbols and letters where actual words should be. Until that's fixed there's no way I'll be able to use it. :rolleyes:

Edit: Fixed the language display problem, now I just have to see if I can change it to English like cool messenger.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:55:06 PM by flyingspider »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #6749 on: July 25, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »

I'm not making copies. It's

:-* CO2 teacher. Send me your camp stuff.

:police: Yeah, it's bigger than 20MB per file [that said, the total any one message can handle is 20MB]

:-* I miss Cool Messenger

:police: Me too [Things I never thought I'd say]

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6750 on: July 25, 2017, 01:57:21 PM »

I'm not making copies. It's

:-* CO2 teacher. Send me your camp stuff.

:police: Yeah, it's bigger than 20MB per file [that said, the total any one message can handle is 20MB]

:-* I miss Cool Messenger

:police: Me too [Things I never thought I'd say]

Google drive: read only access.

Offline sharding

• Waygookin
« Reply #6751 on: July 25, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »

Edit: Fixed the language display problem, now I just have to see if I can change it to English like cool messenger.

Is this Message Popup 2 by any chance? I've been trying to sort out the same problem on my work computer for weeks.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:07:36 PM by sharding »

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6752 on: July 25, 2017, 02:17:35 PM »

Is this Message Popup 2 by any chance? I've been trying to sort out the same problem on my work computer for weeks.
It's the new Gyeonggi messenger system that they've installed. I haven't used Message Popup, but here are the instructions I followed that fixed my problem. :)

https://www.pntbrother.com/broken-korean-language-windows-10-8-7-xp/

gidget

« Reply #6753 on: July 25, 2017, 03:23:56 PM »
My coteacher and I spent a little bit of money so the kids could have lunch (and not cup ramen) because the admin wanker said no budget for you! Yet the music camp get kimbap from a local shop delivered. When we asked him about that, he said they music camp asked first, so now there is none left.

So we are sitting there just getting our food ready, shit for brains comes in and thinks he is going to eat some of our food because it's better than kimbap.

Coteacher dishes out the food, first to the children, then to me, then to himself, leaving nothing left. Turns to the admin guy and says, now there is none left. Admin guy goes off in a huff taking his empty plate with him.

Thumbs up for your CT!

Offline hiragardless

• Waygookin
« Reply #6754 on: July 25, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »
Today was the second day of camp at my school. It's a five day camp and I'm already struggling pretty hard. I just found out I had a camp last week on Wednesday and was asked to prepare the materials/content that day for camp and hand it in on Thursday. I said okay, these things happen, I don't like it but there's not much I can do in this situation. My co-teacher then tells me that she is going to be unable to help me because she is going on vacation and has already booked everything and that it's up to me to do everything for the camp. She then says she'll see if anyone signs up but if only one or two students sign up they'll cancel the camp. It turns out that my co-teacher was telling her students that she would be there for camp, and some of her students signed up. (3rd grade middle school, many of them are trying to get into a good high school and are really starting to focus on English. Hence, why they wanted my co-teacher. I mostly teach through games which they don't find very beneficial at the moment.)  So, when Monday rolled around the kids were asking me where my co-teacher was. When I told them that she went on vacation, they were less than enthusiastic. As was I, when I found out that she had been saying she would be there when she wouldn't. Especially, since she did not help whatsoever with camp.

This really hit into my morale of "let's hope for the best with this English camp even though we had to plan it in a day with no budget, and no help." Now, I'm just feeling really sad and inadquate because they keep telling me how boring it is and they have to leave to go to their academies. I'm just losing my morale really quickly and I feel like I'm trying really hard to just accept it, because it's really, really aggravating and it does wear on you when your teaching. I'm just hoping camp will go by quickly.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6755 on: July 25, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »
Middle school kids are tough. The one thing that I found worked with them was conversation. I would talk to them honestly about how they felt about education, their country, dating or whatever. I found that they liked to talk about themselves. They are teenagers who will wake up if the subject of conversation is good enough. There are many good questions available online. I would search for esl questions. I taught middle school and high school kids for years and they can be up and down. If all else fails, challenge them with some difficult writing assignment. They still have writing assignments even in high school that they do take seriously despite the fact that the seunung doesnt deal with that. Hope I have been of some help.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6756 on: July 26, 2017, 05:21:46 AM »
Day 3 of English camp is today.
Day 1 - one student. 
Day 2- two students at beginning.  I start them on a craft activity.  30 minutes later, two more students arrive.  One hour later, all three of them have to leave-or so they say.  I'm not going to argue with them or force the issue.  So, for the rest of the day it's me and the same student from day one.

I see no point in going today. :sad: The only good thing is that the new vice principal lets us leave the school for lunch. 

This is the first camp I've taught alone at this school.  My previous coT was great and taught with me, and the kids loved her.  I taught winter camp with my new coT, but it wasn't anything great. 

This year she told me the school didn't have the budget for her to be there.

I just feel this week is a waste of the budget (we bought supplies) and time.

Counting today, 3 more days to go.  Weekend, please come quickly!

gidget

« Reply #6757 on: July 26, 2017, 08:09:16 AM »
Happiness: my camp supplies have just arrived (the ones I requested 3 weeks ago so they're a little late).

Sadness: Things are missing, things are the wrong quantity/size/item so I'm going to have to change a lot of my camp.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6758 on: July 26, 2017, 08:39:00 AM »
last night, I was approached by a Korean guy looking for a hook up on a certain dating app. He then proceeded to tell me he's scared to meet foreigners and that I could be a "strange person" because of all the sexual assaults done by foreigners he hears about in the news.

....this 184cm 80kg man (he gave me his measurements in his first message) was scared of lil' ol' me because biased news reporting.. I can't believe it. I don't know one single foreign woman who hasn't had some negative or scary interaction with some gross Korean guy but the news never reports on that (and I told him so) but yeah... I'M the scary one  :rolleyes:

Don't get alone with me in a motel room guys, I'm a scary one!

But at the end of the day... he still wanted to get it in  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6759 on: July 26, 2017, 09:09:36 AM »
(he gave me his measurements in his first message)

ALL his measurements?  :P