September 25, 2017, 04:56:42 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 490054 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6740 on: July 14, 2017, 03:05:20 PM »
If it's not your argument, then don't even bring it up. It's one of the worst opinions I've heard. Distance yourself from that kind of thinking.

That sounds a bit like an argument for an echo chamber. If I was handing out advice, I'd tell people to read all sorts of opinions and try and form logical arguments against the ones you don't agree with.

I'm for it, too. However, I don't think Ann Coulter makes good logical arguments. I feel that she's a "slippery slope" kind of person who always goes to the worst scenario. I agree that a person should consider all advice, but if someone is depressed "Go kill yourself" is probably not good advice. There's nothing wrong with ignoring extreme statements.

Also, I don't want to address her statement cuz I'm in this thread to complain about smokers and boring lunches  :laugh: who cares about her rn?

I agree. If Anne Coulter herself or someone who truly believes in her views wants to come on here and try to compare single motherhood with smoking, I'm all for it. Until then, I think her views can be safely left out of the discussion.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6741 on: July 14, 2017, 03:10:20 PM »
If it's not your argument, then don't even bring it up. It's one of the worst opinions I've heard. Distance yourself from that kind of thinking.

That sounds a bit like an argument for an echo chamber. If I was handing out advice, I'd tell people to read all sorts of opinions and try and form logical arguments against the ones you don't agree with.

I'm for it, too. However, I don't think Ann Coulter makes good logical arguments. I feel that she's a "slippery slope" kind of person who always goes to the worst scenario. I agree that a person should consider all advice, but if someone is depressed "Go kill yourself" is probably not good advice. There's nothing wrong with ignoring extreme statements.

Also, I don't want to address her statement cuz I'm in this thread to complain about smokers and boring lunches  :laugh: who cares about her rn?

I agree. If Anne Coulter herself or someone who truly believes in her views wants to come on here and try to compare single motherhood with smoking, I'm all for it. Until then, I think her views can be safely left out of the discussion.

I'm not in favour of making comparisons like that because there are too many differentials. However I would agree that it's become a little too accepted to bash smokers over other groups who possibly deserve it as much. I also think it's not a good idea to promote single motherhood over the nuclear family, as the stats bear out.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6742 on: July 14, 2017, 03:13:55 PM »

I'm not in favour of making comparisons like that because there are too many differentials. However I would agree that it's become a little too accepted to bash smokers over other groups who possibly deserve it as much. I also think it's not a good idea to promote single motherhood over the nuclear family, as the stats bear out.

Then you can start a thread for that!

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6743 on: July 14, 2017, 03:24:45 PM »
it's become a little too accepted to bash smokers over other groups who possibly deserve it as much.

My wife makes a big display of disgust whenever she encounters a street smoker and always runs ahead of them whenever they happen to be walking ahead of us in the same direction. It ruins her mood for a good few minutes. I agree, this is a bit overblown. She would make the health argument, and she is truly disgusted by the smell (she's super sensitive to smells in general), but I would imagine that what irks most people about this behavior is that it's largely avoidable without much cost to the smoker (find a parking lot, or at least stop walking, or at least stop walking with a lit cigarette in a very crowded area), but that person doesn't possess even that slightest of considerations for those around her. The funny thing about Davis's example is that the offending smokers *did* make an effort to spare others of the odour, but in so doing  actually make it worse.

Not even smokers want their home to smell like cigarettes. That's why they walk outside and subject everyone else to it. You must admit, the smell of stale smoke that infuses a room can be vomit-inducing. Now imagine your room smells like this and you don't even smoke to begin with.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 03:27:53 PM by donovan »

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6744 on: July 14, 2017, 03:29:25 PM »
it's become a little too accepted to bash smokers over other groups who possibly deserve it as much.

My wife makes a big display of disgust whenever she encounters a street smoker and always runs ahead of them whenever they happen to be walking ahead of us in the same direction. It ruins her mood for a good few minutes. I agree, this is a bit overblown. She would make the health argument, and she is truly disgusted by the smell (she's super sensitive to smells in general), but I would imagine that what irks most people about this behavior is that it's largely avoidable without much cost to the smoker (find a parking lot, or at least stop walking, or at least stop walking with a lit cigarette in a very crowded area), but that person doesn't possess even that slightest of considerations for those around her. The funny thing about Davis's example is that the offending smokers *did* make an effort to spare others of the odour, but in so doing  actually make it worse.

Not even smokers want their home to smell like cigarettes. That's why they walk outside and subject everyone else to it. You must admit, the smell of stale smoke that infuses a room can be vomit-inducing. Now imagine your room smells like this and you don't even smoke to begin with.

Plus I have asthma  :cry:

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6745 on: July 14, 2017, 03:57:27 PM »
spam and jam sandwich for lunch

I've never had spam before, but I'm scared to try.

Why would you be afraid of Spam? That's like being afraid of salad dressing, or crackers.
Spam is amazing.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6746 on: July 14, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »

Why would you be afraid of Spam? That's like being afraid of salad dressing, or crackers.
Spam is amazing.

Is spam with jam amazing?  Or simply poisonous?

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6747 on: July 14, 2017, 04:01:44 PM »
Does anyone know why old-and-grumpy-but-ultimately-well-meaning Waygook.org user Pecan was muted?

I feel like people are entirely too harsh on him while being bizarrely tolerant of some other users.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6748 on: July 14, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »

Spam is amazing.

Is spam with jam amazing?  Or simply poisonous?

I mean, jam is one of those foods that's either really good or totally awful. I kind of like jam once in a while, in very limited quantities. Jam and cheddar sandwiches are (fire emoji)

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6749 on: July 14, 2017, 04:07:45 PM »
Wait wait wait. Sugar is poison, but spam is amazing?

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6750 on: July 14, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »
Wait wait wait. Sugar is poison, but spam is amazing?

I'll take death by sugar over eating a brick of post-puréed pig(?) scraps any day o.o

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6751 on: July 14, 2017, 04:28:32 PM »
Does anyone know why old-and-grumpy-but-ultimately-well-meaning Waygook.org user Pecan was muted?

I feel like people are entirely too harsh on him while being bizarrely tolerant of some other users.

I agree. I very seldom agree with the nut, and I find him to lack even the most basic social skills, but he has never irked me in such a way that I have wanted him shut down completely ... and then there are the "other" ones, and I will jump to a completely unsubstantiated guess/assumption that we are probably referring the same ones! Well for me there is one are two three in particular.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6752 on: July 14, 2017, 04:34:18 PM »
I'm a fan of the spam and jam toasts~

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6753 on: July 14, 2017, 04:37:30 PM »

Literally the best is frying Spam until it's dry and crispy and then putting it on toast.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6754 on: July 14, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »

I don't think people are too hard on him. I think he earns every bit of the flack he gets. He's a tactless jerk. I'm surprised he doesn't get muted more often, if anything. I don't report him for stuff or anything, because snitches get stitches, but I'm not sad that he can't post.

I do agree that some other posters don't get as much guff as they deserve though.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6755 on: July 14, 2017, 04:44:22 PM »

Literally the best is frying Spam until it's dry and crispy and then putting it on toast.

never taking health advice from you again

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6756 on: July 14, 2017, 04:50:34 PM »

Did you ever take it before?

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #6757 on: July 14, 2017, 04:52:14 PM »
As an ex-smoker, quit 6yrs ago, I can say for sure that smoking etiquette is definitely lacking in these parts. On the other hand, non-smokers are definitely becoming increasingly more whiny as well. A breath or two of 2nd hand smoke is pretty insignificant when you consider the air you're breathing in 24/7, the food you're eating and your habits.

Korea is a country of cramped spaces, poor ventilation and many smokers. Many smokers are inconsiderate twats who'll smoke in the apartment passages, some are just doing the best they can. It's a fact of life in this country.

Okay...but the incident that I was referring to from my past experience of living with smokers who only liked to smoke in our windowless bathroom was at my university back in my home country, not Korea. Also, it was a very small bathroom -- so that plus the lack of window inside the bathroom seemed to make the smoke stench lingering in there even worse.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6758 on: July 14, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »

Did you ever take it before?

no   :P

But I really need to start taking some sort of health advice. Everything I read about processed foods, sugar and inflammation freaks me out.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6759 on: July 14, 2017, 05:04:36 PM »

Two years ago you could still smoke in pubs and restaurants in Korea, now it's banned on whole streets. The turnaround, compared to most places, has been exponential. I guess in other countries smokers had more time to adapt to their persecution little by little.  Somebody smoking on the street ahead of you could never be described as more than a minor irritant. Not worth curtailing people's freedom for IMO.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:06:47 PM by eggieguffer »

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment