September 20, 2017, 12:38:53 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 481863 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6680 on: July 12, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »
Day 3 of my strict diet.

I'm hangry and hate everyone and everything.  :cry: :cry: :cry:

What's your diet, if you don't mind me asking (or mind others tearing it apart :afro:)?

I tried going without coffee yesterday, and my nerves were fine, but I did feel hungrier for some reason, and energy crashed around 11:30 when usually I can last a whole day without getting drowsy. Big mistake; Back to McCafe this morning!

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6681 on: July 12, 2017, 03:54:54 PM »
Day 3 of my strict diet.

What's your diet, if you don't mind me asking (or mind others tearing it apart :afro:)?

I tried going without coffee yesterday, and my nerves were fine, but I did feel hungrier for some reason, and energy crashed around 11:30 when usually I can last a whole day without getting drowsy. Big mistake; Back to McCafe this morning!

When I move back home I'm starting my own diet again. Craft beer and scotch, wash it down with a martini. Rinse and repeat.

No not really, but I will maybe treat myself to one or two. I can practically taste it.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6682 on: July 12, 2017, 04:06:03 PM »
Day 3 of my strict diet.

Just a general low-cal diet, and I can only drink water. It really worked me for me in the past 5 years ago, but then the stress of school made me gain all that I lost.  :-[ I figured now's a good a time as any since I'm sick of Korean food and summer vacay is coming up.

I'm feeling much better though. My stomach was screaming at me for a couple of hours this morning, but I think it's resigned itself to its fate.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #6683 on: July 12, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »
I swear to god one of my coteachers has to be the worst I have ever had.
This is my 4th year teaching in Korea and most of my coteachers have been mediocre but this particular one just seems to take the pish.
I've had coteachers that  barely spoke any English, I've had coteachers straight out of university that do very little in class but BOY this one irritates me.
Of my 4 coteachers I have in this school only 1 is somewhat active in class (though she is not without issues) and does close to what I expect her to do while I lead the lesson, two of them are pretty lazy and might as well not be there but this one...

I have her for 4th grade and my worst 5th grade class. She's at the back of the class talking to students actually distracting them after I managed to settle them enough to start the class. She never reprimands classes because frankly she cares too much about the students liking her and thinking she's nice. She does nothing to aid in classroom management, she does nothing to aid lower level students, she does nothing to help with checking the students understand instructions. I send her lesson plans every week that she never so much as looks at. She has repeatedly fallen asleep at the back of the class while I've been teaching. She allows students to wander in and out of the room at will.

I am not looking forward to camp where for another year I'm stuck doing it with her and another KT who will leave the room any opportunity she has and spend 85% of the lessons at the back on her phone kakaoing her new boyfriend.

It's really bothering me this year that these people basically decide at the end of the year if I get to keep my job when they evaluate me. I can't tell them that they are not even coming close to meeting my very very low expectations of what their f-ing job is, I can't give them any feedback but they can decide that I'm too moody or something equally irrelevant and low grade me to get rid of me (the eldest KT has been pathetically sensitive this year to me being a little irritated when she does something stupid or time wasting despite the fact I force a smile and nod along with it like a good little foreigner anyway and the more she childishly whines because I didn't apologise to her for some stupid reason the more irritating I find her)

I really wish this was an actual adult work environment where I could actually give honest feedback to colleges but NOPE.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6684 on: July 12, 2017, 04:17:25 PM »
Day 3 of my strict diet.

Just a general low-cal diet, and I can only drink water. It really worked me for me in the past 5 years ago, but then the stress of school made me gain all that I lost.  :-[ I figured now's a good a time as any since I'm sick of Korean food and summer vacay is coming up.

I'm feeling much better though. My stomach was screaming at me for a couple of hours this morning, but I think it's resigned itself to its fate.

I would think drinking only water for fluids is key. So many calories can so easily sneak into our diets in liquid form. Coffee is basically calorie-free, Buy The Way! Though I do take mine with cream...

Offline sbk

• Explorer
« Reply #6685 on: July 12, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »
This morning i got onto a jammed packed train on line 2 and a middle aged Korean guy follows me in and starts looking at me to move so he could get through and stand somewhere else on the train. There was nowhere i could move so he just had to stay put. He wouldn't turn and face the same direction as everyone else. He was eyeing other places on the train which were all taken. Finally he turns around and then starts playing with his phone. Then he gets into a verbal altercation with another guy who moved into his zone. If he really wants to sit down for his 3 stops then he needs to get on a much earlier train.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6686 on: July 12, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »
Day 3 of my strict diet.

I would think drinking only water for fluids is key. So many calories can so easily sneak into our diets in liquid form. Coffee is basically calorie-free, Buy The Way! Though I do take mine with cream...

I think it's time for me to quit caffeine. I successfully did so in undergrad but picked the habit back up in law school... I do drink a cup of unsweetened green tea a few times a week. It's a nice little treat.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6687 on: July 12, 2017, 04:36:22 PM »
Day 3 of my strict diet.

I think it's time for me to quit caffeine. I successfully did so in undergrad but picked the habit back up in law school... I do drink a cup of unsweetened green tea a few times a week. It's a nice little treat.

I'm guilty of drinking poison frequently.  Juices, honey water, an occasional carbonated beverage...

Though I don't drink soda often so at least I don't have that extra weight.  Though when I have alcohol, I prefer it poisonous. 

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6688 on: July 12, 2017, 05:16:58 PM »
So you are staying in an apartment that is over $1,200,0000....   but you pay 380$ in rent.....
I'm calling bullshit.  This doesn't add up whatsoever.  You couldn't rent a $50,000 apt anywhere in USA for 380$ month.  The taxes on the place would be your payment alone.

Also...   The Jeonse system is nothing more than a simple PONZI scheme that will crash, if and when, a large financial crisis occurs.  Most likely crippling the economy.  I would never give my own money even if I had it.  Better to get a loan and mitigate risk if losing it all if an implosion occurs.

Erm, I'm not talking dollars here.  If that makes it easier to understand, and not think it's bollocks.  Why would I talk in a currency I have no idea about?

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6689 on: July 12, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »
Drinking alcohol mixed with sugar poison is like a double calorie blast.

But, maybe you like it. So, you do you.

If I'm mixing something, I usually use water or sparkling water  (which is blessedly common now) / club soda.

Also yeah, coffee with a little bit of milk is calorie friendly and also will reduce your appetite.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6690 on: July 12, 2017, 05:48:43 PM »
So you are staying in an apartment that is over $1,200,0000....   but you pay 380$ in rent.....
I'm calling bullshit.  This doesn't add up whatsoever.  You couldn't rent a $50,000 apt anywhere in USA for 380$ month.  The taxes on the place would be your payment alone.

Also...   The Jeonse system is nothing more than a simple PONZI scheme that will crash, if and when, a large financial crisis occurs.  Most likely crippling the economy.  I would never give my own money even if I had it.  Better to get a loan and mitigate risk if losing it all if an implosion occurs.

Erm, I'm not talking dollars here.  If that makes it easier to understand, and not think it's bollocks.  Why would I talk in a currency I have no idea about?

They know you're talking won, but they just basically converted it. 1.4billion won = 1,222,047 dollars. I think they find it hard to believe that it is essentially a million dollar home, but you pay so little, and with the low deposit. I suppose. They didn't respond yet, so I am speculating here...

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6691 on: July 12, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »

At the current exchange rate 1.4 billion won = 1,222,280.40 dollars, so he underestimated. You are paying 349 dollars a month rent. Are you sure you didn't get the numbers confused?

That's a 952,000 quid flat and you're paying 68 quid a week rent
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:52:26 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6692 on: July 12, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »
I would think drinking only water for fluids is key. So many calories can so easily sneak into our diets in liquid form. Coffee is basically calorie-free, Buy The Way! Though do take mine with cream...

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6693 on: July 12, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »
Sorry, kyndo. No more~

But it's more than just bad grammar, I'll have you know. It's a REFERENCE.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:33:49 PM by donovan »

Offline Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6694 on: July 13, 2017, 12:26:03 AM »
Jeonse update: Got some of the figures wrong first time around after speaking to the wife. Current Landlady, actually, bought our place for 280 million and offered us Jeonse for 240 million, so a bit of a difference but still really high.

Anyway, she may not be selling after all after she called my wife tonight. Apparently, a new law introduced this year, stuck a 50% tax on profit made from property if you are selling it within 2 years of owning it.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6695 on: July 13, 2017, 10:24:52 AM »

At the current exchange rate 1.4 billion won = 1,222,280.40 dollars, so he underestimated. You are paying 349 dollars a month rent. Are you sure you didn't get the numbers confused?

That's a 952,000 quid flat and you're paying 68 quid a week rent

Oops, my bad!!  Apologies.  Appears I have no money sense at all  :blank:

I get confused with Korean money when it gets up into those 억 areas.  What I should have said was 240 million won, obviously.  My bad again.  English festival next week so my mind ain't on maintaining internet clarity.   :-[

I'm sure a 1.4 billion apartment in Seoul would get you a 8 pyeong with a view of a someone else's living room, and above a bowling alley, and below a night club.   :laugh:

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6696 on: July 13, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »
Why is a random teacher telling me that I have to go and stay in the staff room every afternoon? What's wrong with staying in the English classroom? She then proceeded to berate me to arrange the desks and keep the place clean. I use this classroom one day a week! The desks are in a different arrangement every week not once perpetrated by myself. There's a bunch of fourth graders who are supposed to clean it during lunch! Pass the buck!! Argh!

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6697 on: July 13, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »
I'm sure a 1.4 billion apartment in Seoul would get you a 8 pyeong with a view of a someone else's living room, and above a bowling alley, and below a night club

To give people an idea. My previous apartment in Seoul sold for 600 million. It wasn't new, hadn't been decorated in a while but had three bedrooms and two bath rooms. The owner was renting it out and I showed a foreign couple round. They were quoted 100 mil deposit and 1.2 million a month rent.

Offline gidget

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6698 on: July 13, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »
Is it simply being stubborn that America will not catch up with the rest of the world and use metric instead of imperial, and use celsius when measuring temperature?

It infuriates me that I have to constantly convert a measurements when reading american books or websites.  It's like they think no one else outside of America will read it or perhaps they simply don't give a crap if anyone does.

I'm sorry.
I'm an American. I can't hear you. You'll have to speak up and lose the accent.

92^F is a little over 33^C, buy the way. And despite my stubborn and imperious (i.e. American) proclivities, I'd be in favor of switching to metric just for the sake of never having to spell Fairenhite ever again.

These are my happy posts for the week  ;D & Donovan - I love your sense of humour. Thank you!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #6699 on: July 13, 2017, 01:48:17 PM »
Hey, Korean Co-Ts! I am not teaching the musical class for "two hours." I am teaching it for 80 mins. The class length here is 40 mins. The word you're looking for is "two periods."
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment