May 22, 2018, 04:52:27 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 920077 times)

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6660 on: September 05, 2017, 12:49:15 PM »
Yeah my female CT is constantly going on about how hard she is while we teach 3rd graders  :rolleyes:

Not sure what that's about...  :sad:

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6661 on: September 05, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »
I've been trying to buy Olympic tickets for an hour now, and it just says, ""좌석 배정중입니다." I'm not sure if the seating actually is in progress or the site has just forgotten about me.  :cry:

Update: After two hours I have a ticket for figure skating and for the opening ceremony!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:08:10 PM by flyingspider »

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #6662 on: September 05, 2017, 04:33:52 PM »
I've been trying to buy Olympic tickets for an hour now, and it just says, ""좌석 배정중입니다." I'm not sure if the seating actually is in progress or the site has just forgotten about me.  :cry:

Update: After two hours I have a ticket for figure skating and for the opening ceremony!

May I ask where did you buy the tickets from? I'm also interested in potentially attending both the opening ceremony and one of the figure skating events.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6663 on: September 05, 2017, 05:31:21 PM »
how come people say something is "below par" meaning that it is bad, yet to be "below par" in golf is good? once again, it's one rule for golfers and another for the rest of us

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6664 on: September 05, 2017, 05:56:09 PM »
how come people say something is "below par" meaning that it is bad, yet to be "below par" in golf is good? once again, it's one rule for golfers and another for the rest of us

I realize you're just being goofy, but for anyone who's curious: "Par" just means something like "average" or "standard." In golf terminology, it'd mean the average number of shots it takes to finish a hole, in which case finishing below par is good. Outside of golf, though, something being below par would just mean it's "below average," which could very well be a bad thing.

Because knowledge is power!

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6665 on: September 05, 2017, 05:58:34 PM »

...Par for the course... you might say... :sad:  :blank:

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #6666 on: September 05, 2017, 06:42:02 PM »
I have a ticket for figure skating and for the opening ceremony!

How much were those tickets?

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #6667 on: September 05, 2017, 07:51:28 PM »

'Cuz par originally meant the face value of something :D

Offline sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6668 on: September 05, 2017, 09:17:51 PM »

Don't they say "UNDER" par in golf, not below par?

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6669 on: September 06, 2017, 07:59:40 AM »
My favourite thing is being asked a "What do you call this?" question then the person deciding they don't like your word because it doesn't match the 1500s English word they found on naver so they wander off and use the atrocious naver word instead.

Or asking to "language exchange" but not accepting any critiques/even arguing with you.

"I feel hard" is not the right way to express that you're having a hard time, that you're tired, or that your task is difficult. But okay, keep on saying it if it means that much to you.

Maybe that's not what he's trying to express... :-[

She asked me what you call a kindergarten attached to a public school. So I told her we'd call it a kindergarten because other kinds of kindergartens are kind of rare so we typically would specify that it's a different kind of kindergarten, but if you just use the word kindergarten people will typically associate it with being part of a legitimate school. That's what we'd say in my area of Canada at least, I don't know if in other countries private kindergartens are super popular. Anyways she didn't want to believe that we wouldn't have some insanely specific term for a plain old kindergarten so she went to try naver again for some term no one's ever used in the last 300 years.

We also had an argument over her demanding students say "blue jeans" when talking about jeans because according to her it's more proper and according to me no one says that outside of country songs, but hey, naver's more reliable right?

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6670 on: September 06, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »

We also had an argument over her demanding students say "blue jeans" when talking about jeans because according to her it's more proper and according to me no one says that outside of country songs, but hey, naver's more reliable right?

omg for some reason the idea of saying "blue jeans" is just antiquated enough to sound really funny to me

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6671 on: September 06, 2017, 08:34:45 AM »
But..But baby makes her blue jeans talk.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6672 on: September 06, 2017, 08:43:10 AM »
Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the baaaanndddd.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6673 on: September 06, 2017, 08:47:59 AM »
Angel in blue jeans...

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6674 on: September 06, 2017, 08:50:41 AM »
Blue Jeans forever!

In stereo~ :shocked:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6675 on: September 06, 2017, 08:52:23 AM »

omg for some reason the idea of saying "blue jeans" is just antiquated enough to sound really funny to me

I've had a coT try to dictate how I pronounce "a."   :undecided: :rolleyes:

Offline wanderlust8

• Veteran
« Reply #6676 on: September 06, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »
I was doing a game with my classes today. One group was being especially rowdy and would not listen. So I subtracted a point from their team. My co then goes and adds the point back when I'm not looking.
Frustrates me so much how teachers will baby these students. No wonder they won't listen to us.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6677 on: September 06, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »
Enough of the rice cakes already. Enough. I don't care if they're delicious, they're not for me. Stop offering them, please; as in, every day.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:46:23 AM by CJ »

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6678 on: September 06, 2017, 10:08:20 AM »
Enough of the rice cakes already. Enough. I don't care if they're delcious, they're not for me. Stop offering them, please; as in, every day.

FFS yes. Sometimes they're so vile I can't even give them away to students.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6679 on: September 06, 2017, 10:12:07 AM »
I hate rice cakes. Of any kind.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018