October 20, 2017, 01:24:52 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 523387 times)

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6620 on: July 10, 2017, 11:05:11 AM »
My classes are learning pop songs this week.  Last Friday I printed out and laminated the lyrics on strips for an activity.  I took them home and cut them out.  I forgot them this morning.  It's pouring down rain, so I won't walk back to my apt. to get them.

I hate it when I do stupid things like this.  >:(

I guess it's plan B for today.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6621 on: July 10, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »
Example of something I complained about before...

Having to ask a 6th grade class to write their team name/number their page over 5 times, having my CT say it several times in Korean, even writing an example on the white board, and half the class STILL not doing it.

In the end, my CT went around and wrote the team names / numbered the pages for these SIXTH GRADE students who are, for some reason, unable to do the most simple of tasks. I know it's not a communication problem because everything I say gets translated, they don't have to worry about English at all in this class - my CT makes sure of that. But they can't even write their team names? It's literally just Team A, Team B and so on...

Jesus. To save trees, they were supposed to be writing on the back of a worksheet I used for a different grade. I showed them to write on the BLANK side, and these students still turn the page over and start trying to complete the worksheet originally meant for 4th graders.

Same shit, different Monday.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6622 on: July 10, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »

This reminds me how some of my middle schoolers are still miffed anytime they have to make a group of more than four.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6623 on: July 10, 2017, 03:32:14 PM »

This reminds me how some of my middle schoolers are still miffed anytime they have to make a group of more than four.
Yes, I agree.  My 2nd graders, especially.  They had to make groups last year, too.  This is not a new concept.  Even my CoT gets on them for moving so slowly.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6624 on: July 10, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »

Yes, I agree.  My 2nd graders, especially.  They had to make groups last year, too.  This is not a new concept.  Even my CoT gets on them for moving so slowly.

Right it's as if when something veers off the "IMFINETHANKSANDYOU" script, they are utterly lost.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6625 on: July 10, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »

At my old all-boys middle school, they always acted surprised and put-off whenever I told them to get into groups of any size. Which was every week. xD

I turned it into a game by rewarding candy to the first group to get their asses in gear. Worked a charm, but turned the classroom into mayhem for a few minutes.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6626 on: July 10, 2017, 04:04:30 PM »

At my old all-boys middle school, they always acted surprised and put-off whenever I told them to get into groups of any size. Which was every week. xD

I turned it into a game by rewarding candy to the first group to get their asses in gear. Worked a charm, but turned the classroom into mayhem for a few minutes.

We don't give out candy to the older students, but I've found in the past that if the teacher sets the bar high (if you can consider numbering a page "high"), the students will reach it.

In the past, I had a CT who would literally tell our students not to look at her whenever they tried to turn to her for a Korean translation (and it was something she knew they could figure out on their own.) They had to listen and figure out how to play the games I brought in, or else they knew they wouldn't be able to play. It was hard at first, but after a few months those students grew and matured into something actually resembling 6th graders. No hitting, no running in the hallways, they entered the room quietly or else they had to go  back out and do it again. They were also some of the happiest 6th graders I ever taught because the class wasn't chaos. They weren't afraid of my CT but they respected her.

However, in this situation, the students know my CT will be around any second to write their names for them, open their books for them, turn over their worksheets for them, so they don't have to worry. They know my CT will cup her hands around her mouth to yell over them to give directions so they don't have to be quiet. It's probably a good thing I can't speak Korean or else I'd probably verbalize my disappointment to them. I have 3rd graders who can follow directions better than these students who are a little more than a semester away from entering middle school.

Sigh. I feel this way every week, but I feel like I should just get used to it.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6627 on: July 10, 2017, 04:47:57 PM »
Is anyone not having a miserable Monday?

(Spoiler: I'm also having a miserable Monday.)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #6628 on: July 10, 2017, 04:56:12 PM »

Man, F Monday. My weekend was so ace and then this bullshit rolls around. hahaha
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6629 on: July 10, 2017, 05:00:16 PM »

Man, F Monday. My weekend was so ace and then this bullshit rolls around. hahaha

My weekend was completely uneventful, and for the first time in my life I'm having complete writer's block on making camp materials. This has never happened to me before, and it's frustrating.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6630 on: July 10, 2017, 05:14:08 PM »
Yeah f-ing Monday.  :cry: Tuesday is just as bad though. Things only get going around Wednesday. n

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6631 on: July 10, 2017, 05:14:32 PM »
Grade 6 class.  Subject is: How tall are you? Co teacher devises a worksheet where the kids fill their height, foot size, how big is your hand, bicep, waist, circumference of head, length of leg etc etc.  Gives them some tape measure and lets them have at it.  She joins in, measuring  the girls.  At one point she yells to me 'help me' and wants me to measure the inner length of one of the boys legs.   :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

no no no, I will not do that.  What is wrong with you!!? Why would you even ask me that? 

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6632 on: July 10, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
Grade 6 class.  Subject is: How tall are you? Co teacher devises a worksheet where the kids fill their height, foot size, how big is your hand, bicep, waist, circumference of head, length of leg etc etc.  Gives them some tape measure and lets them have at it.  She joins in, measuring  the girls.  At one point she yells to me 'help me' and wants me to measure the inner length of one of the boys legs.   :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

no no no, I will not do that.  What is wrong with you!!? Why would you even ask me that?

"Do you dress to the left or right?"

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6633 on: July 10, 2017, 05:40:46 PM »

What did you do in the end?

I don't see the worksheet as being too bad though, might steal the idea. Without helping obvs!  :laugh:

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6634 on: July 10, 2017, 05:46:53 PM »

I don't see the worksheet as being too bad though, might steal the idea. Without helping obvs!  :laugh:

I just said no, with a bewildered look on my face (one that i've been perfecting recently with this ct).  I think the boy looked relieved. 

Oh, the worksheet is a fine idea, have at it, I can send it to you if you wish.  Even used it last year with no issues, kids seemed to enjoy measuring things. It was the method of measuring the leg this year that was a little off.  Last year kids measured it from the hip joint to the ankle joint on the outside of the leg. Inaccurate perhaps but fine for this purpose.  We weren't measuring for suits.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:55:10 PM by welcomebackkotter »

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6635 on: July 10, 2017, 05:56:12 PM »
For the last two weeks of the semester, my school has decided to cram 6 classes in before lunch and reserve the periods after lunch for cleaning and other random stuff. That means that instead of 4 45 minute classes with 10 minute breaks between them, I have 6 35 minute classes with 5 minute breaks between them for the next two weeks. Which reminds me, I should probably ask about when we plan on having the one 7th period class I usually have.

It's bad enough that we have to have classes at all after finals, since the students have all checked out mentally. Now I have shortened classes with shortened breaks to match, rendering the lessons I had planned either useless or impossible without heavily modifying both the content presented and the activities planned.

What's that? Did someone say "Movie days?"

Now there's an idea!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6636 on: July 10, 2017, 05:59:50 PM »

Bahahah.  So in theatre this is a common measurement. 

For the inseam, have the person getting measured hold the tape measure up in his/her own crotch while you hold the other end toward the ground.  If you want a true measurement, make sure the [lads] get the tape measure up in there and stand up straight. 

Though for the purposes of your class, I'm sure accuracy doesn't much matter. 

Offline kimchiyum

• Veteran
« Reply #6637 on: July 10, 2017, 11:19:48 PM »

I definitely don't think it's a good idea for the student's to measure waists, as you will end up with a couple of people with larger numbers than most!! That would be pretty humiliating. It also seems more like a maths lesson than English.

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6638 on: July 11, 2017, 12:46:40 AM »

I definitely don't think it's a good idea for the student's to measure waists, as you will end up with a couple of people with larger numbers than most!! That would be pretty humiliating. It also seems more like a maths lesson than English.

I did a similar thing last year, though I stuck to height, hair length and hand size. My CT insisted on removing the height measuring as many of the students felt too self conscious about reporting their height... 5th grade children are made to feel self conscious about their height... Speaks volumes about the society they live in.

Anyway, to illustrate my point, the students insisted on measuring my height, then proceeded to clap and congratulate me in a bit of an awkward display. My CT seemed to be feeling a bit upstaged and decided to add a new challenge "How long can you split?".
My CT does Yoga and in a rather undignified spectacle, goes into a rather shaky splits with her panties and love handles popping out for all to see.

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6639 on: July 11, 2017, 10:26:28 AM »

I did a similar thing last year, though I stuck to height, hair length and hand size. My CT insisted on removing the height measuring as many of the students felt too self conscious about reporting their height... 5th grade children are made to feel self conscious about their height... Speaks volumes about the society they live in.

I considered taking out the parts that could make them self-conscious, waist and the like, ct insisted it was fine, and she runs the show in the end (whether I like it or not).  Some kids were fine with it, some were shy.  Thankfully it's not done in front of class, the kids are in smaller groups, diluting the issue a little bit, and I don't make them announce the results. 

Also, not a maths lesson, they were being taught how to say numbers in English, which is a struggle for many of them, as well as the difference between how long, how tall, how big etc.  "How tall is my hand?' no.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment