September 27, 2017, 03:23:35 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 492527 times)

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6560 on: July 06, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »
Gym teacher has no fuckin g indoor voice. Quiet the fuc k down.

Yessss. Also, mine seems to think everyone wants to hear a loud grunt after he finishes eating. Just fkng be normal and get up and go away.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6561 on: July 06, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »

Yessss. Also, mine seems to think everyone wants to hear a loud grunt after he finishes eating. Just fkng be normal and get up and go away.

Just try to out-grunt him to establish your dominance.

You'll either stop the behavior, or make a friend/enemy for life.

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6562 on: July 06, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »
swearing in class, in front of the teacher, when they clearly know what it means (and trying to push boundaries), is nothing but disrespectful. i'm sure you didn't swear when a teacher or your parents were present when you were at school
Sorry, but that simply isn't the case.

These kids repeat what they hear from their parents, their peers, their music, and what they watch.

One student being angry and trying to express their frustration and anger, is different than someone who is calmly sitting in class using profanities.

As teachers, we need to be able to recognize and understand the difference.

It can be a teachable moment.

These kids are like sponges.  They are a product of what they stew in, day in and day out.
Pennypie said that she stops the class and tells the students what it is they are saying, and that they are swear words -- and that the kids keep using them, even after knowing what they mean. in this case, the kids know they are in the wrong, but seeing what they can get away with

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #6563 on: July 06, 2017, 12:20:37 PM »

Just try to out-grunt him to establish your dominance.

You'll either stop the behavior, or make a friend/enemy for life.

I should take this advice. I'm all for displays of dominance in Korea.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6564 on: July 06, 2017, 01:45:54 PM »
swearing in class, in front of the teacher, when they clearly know what it means (and trying to push boundaries), is nothing but disrespectful. i'm sure you didn't swear when a teacher or your parents were present when you were at school
These kids repeat what they hear from their parents, their peers, their music, and what they watch.
One student being angry and trying to express their frustration and anger, is different than someone who is calmly sitting in class using profanities.

These kids are like sponges.  They are a product of what they stew in, day in and day out.
I think you missed Oglop's caveat (bolded).
When kids are swearing in order to push boundaries then it is definitely is a punishable offence. If some kid accidentally staples his hand to his desk, then I'll give the expletives a pass.
  You're right that we should judge according to intent, which I think most of us recognise.

Absolutely.

i'm sure you didn't swear when a teacher or your parents were present when you were at schoo
.........of course I did. Why did we do it? because we were pushing boundaries. I didn't do it to them, or at them or disrupt the class with it but within earshot...sure. I don't necessarily see pushing boundaries as a bad thing. Perhaps it's a British / American differences.

If the teacher ignored it, well eventually we didn't care.

Some teachers would tell us alternatives (I read one article about using Shakespearean insults to get teenagers interested in Shakespeare which was cool).

Those teachers that bore down on us every time they overheard a F or an S lost the battle every time.

Obviously I'm not talking about using bad language at the teacher, or in an abusive way but between friends, in a funny casual way is fine by me. Obviously if it is disrupting everyone in the class then I deal with the disruption.

I see "stopping fun for the next two periods" as overkill.

This is a big debate between British teachers right now too, and it's really interesting. Everyone is divided.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:48:18 PM by Pennypie »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6565 on: July 06, 2017, 02:28:35 PM »
Nah, super small rural town.  It just happened to be a "busy" time and there were like half a dozen people clustered around one teller (apparently the only one who handles utility bills?).  I noticed this time that people just put their bills on the counter to show who was next in "line."  Reminded me of days of old when people would put tokens onto the arcade game screen to stake a claim for the next round. 

One of the bank employees handed out those small glass fruity (energy?) drinks to everyone who was waiting!  That was a nice surprise.

Isn't there a special machine at your bank for people to use to pay their utility bills? Even when I used to live in a super-rural part of Korea, the NongHyup banks there had this machine for paying utility bills.

hahah, there actually is a special machine but like much of the elderly population here, I never remember how to use it  :-[  Paying my bill to a clerk is a good way to use up my small change though. 

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6566 on: July 06, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
did you go to a rough school? if we were caught swearing, it was a quick way to be bollocked by the teacher or given a detention (hm.. wonder why they don't give detentions in korea?). even the bad kids weren't idiotic enough to continually swear when a teacher was present, as they knew it wouldn't end well for them

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6567 on: July 06, 2017, 02:35:14 PM »

I think you missed Oglop's caveat (bolded).
When kids are swearing in order to push boundaries then it is definitely is a punishable offence. If some kid accidentally staples his hand to his desk, then I'll give the expletives a pass.
  You're right that we should judge according to intent, which I think most of us recognise.

Absolutely.

i'm sure you didn't swear when a teacher or your parents were present when you were at schoo
.........of course I did. Why did we do it? because we were pushing boundaries. I didn't do it to them, or at them or disrupt the class with it but within earshot...sure. I don't necessarily see pushing boundaries as a bad thing. Perhaps it's a British / American differences.

If the teacher ignored it, well eventually we didn't care.

Some teachers would tell us alternatives (I read one article about using Shakespearean insults to get teenagers interested in Shakespeare which was cool).

Those teachers that bore down on us every time they overheard a F or an S lost the battle every time.

Obviously I'm not talking about using bad language at the teacher, or in an abusive way but between friends, in a funny casual way is fine by me. Obviously if it is disrupting everyone in the class then I deal with the disruption.

I see "stopping fun for the next two periods" as overkill.

This is a big debate between British teachers right now too, and it's really interesting. Everyone is divided.
Agreed.

Those that are "serious" about actually teaching would read up on "best practices" and implement some of those strategies.

Others simply "cowboy" through blindly.

I feel sorry for their students and for their coteachers.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6568 on: July 06, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
Nah, super small rural town.  It just happened to be a "busy" time and there were like half a dozen people clustered around one teller (apparently the only one who handles utility bills?).  I noticed this time that people just put their bills on the counter to show who was next in "line."  Reminded me of days of old when people would put tokens onto the arcade game screen to stake a claim for the next round. 

One of the bank employees handed out those small glass fruity (energy?) drinks to everyone who was waiting!  That was a nice surprise.

Isn't there a special machine at your bank for people to use to pay their utility bills? Even when I used to live in a super-rural part of Korea, the NongHyup banks there had this machine for paying utility bills.

hahah, there actually is a special machine but like much of the elderly population here, I never remember how to use it  :-[  Paying my bill to a clerk is a good way to use up my small change though.

It makes no sense to me that those machines are turned off at 4PM when the banks close, but you can pay anytime at any ATM via bank transfer, too~~ (Maybe you knew; just in case you didn't).

Sometimes there's even a system to pay at a CVS.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6569 on: July 06, 2017, 02:38:39 PM »
I've always paid my bills with online banking.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6570 on: July 06, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
Everywhere, including my building, smells like dank musty sweaty socks. I can't even go into Mega Mart or a cafe for respite, as there is little A/C to be found anywhere.

I'm not interested in getting in an argument about whether or not people SHOULD use A/C (although maybe the big warehouse full of food should be kept at least a little cool) I'm just complaining. Summers are so much more bearable when you can easily find shelter from the heat/humidity.

The barista who took my order yesterday had sweat coming down the sides of her face.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6571 on: July 06, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
Someone in my building smokes a lot and for some reason, I can smell it in my bathroom. I suspect they're smoking on the roof near vents which is why it's always my bathroom. The smell of Korean cigarettes makes me feel physically ill, and the last think I want is to smell it while I'm showering.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6572 on: July 06, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
Everywhere, including my building, smells like dank musty sweaty socks. I can't even go into Mega Mart or a cafe for respite, as there is little A/C to be found anywhere.

I'm not interested in getting in an argument about whether or not people SHOULD use A/C (although maybe the big warehouse full of food should be kept at least a little cool) I'm just complaining. Summers are so much more bearable when you can easily find shelter from the heat/humidity.

The barista who took my order yesterday had sweat coming down the sides of her face.

Tell me about it. The heat is miserable.

I don't have AC in my house, and it's deeply unpleasant.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6573 on: July 06, 2017, 03:07:10 PM »

Ordered mine from Gmarket. Set me back 300,000 with free delivery and installation. I can now see my breath in the mornings!  :smiley:

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #6574 on: July 06, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »
Someone in my building smokes a lot and for some reason, I can smell it in my bathroom. I suspect they're smoking on the roof near vents which is why it's always my bathroom. The smell of Korean cigarettes makes me feel physically ill, and the last think I want is to smell it while I'm showering.

I literally have the exact same problem. I feel you so hard on this. D:

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #6575 on: July 06, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »
I have A/C in my place, but it's jammed into the wall between my main room and my veranda (walled), so it vents into part of my apartment, basically (I have the fridge and the washing machine out there). If I want to use the A/C, I have to leave my veranda windows open...on the second floor. I know Korea's safer than other places, but I'd rather...not.

Offline mbg121

• Waygookin
« Reply #6576 on: July 06, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »
3 carb lunch today.

Pasta salad (with corn of course), rice and seafood japchae noodles. Only kimchi as a vegetable. I'm so bloated this week that I look like a gd whale. I'd kill for a day full of meals with real vegetables.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6577 on: July 06, 2017, 03:28:02 PM »

Ordered mine from Gmarket. Set me back 300,000 with free delivery and installation. I can now see my breath in the mornings!  :smiley:

Really? Hmm. Got a link handy? My apartment is a three-room, so a small one won't make much difference. But if it's just in my bedroom that could be nice.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6578 on: July 06, 2017, 03:45:32 PM »
Really? Hmm. Got a link handy? My apartment is a three-room, so a small one won't make much difference. But if it's just in my bedroom that could be nice.

Bought it about a month ago, and I've already forgotten exactly what the brand is, but it looks almost exactly like this one. (Don't get a Samsung or LG: I'm sure they're nice and all, but you pay a premium for the name, despite that they move/cool about the same volume of air).

Depending how much work it is to install, and how far your bedroom is from the outflow unit (air hose costs extra), you might need to pay an extra 100,000 won or so.
Total for us was around 350,000.

Oh, and we mounted it in the bedroom, but found that if we put a regular fan in the doorway, the living room gets decently cooled too (just be careful that you don't leave the fan running too long, else it will chop up all the oxygen molecules and everybody in your apartment will asphyxiate).
 :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:51:49 PM by kyndo »

Offline HabsFanInKorea

• Veteran
« Reply #6579 on: July 06, 2017, 03:52:06 PM »
3 carb lunch today.

Pasta salad (with corn of course), rice and seafood japchae noodles. Only kimchi as a vegetable. I'm so bloated this week that I look like a gd whale. I'd kill for a day full of meals with real vegetables.
I feel you.  Yesterday we had 'Mexican-Korean fusion'  There was rice (of course), some kind of udon noodle salad, french fries and a bulgogi burrito, which of course had rice in it too.  All of the teachers were complaining.  Who puts these lunches together?

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment