November 19, 2017, 09:15:46 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564001 times)

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6560 on: July 14, 2017, 10:09:49 AM »
I gotta be blunt. That is the dumbest comparison I've ever heard. Smokers choose to smoke and risk their health and the health of others. Most people don't choose to be single parents and aren't proactively risking their health and the health of others. Single mothers aren't making my living space horrible.

According to Coulter they do choose to be single mothers as even if they conceive 'by accident', she advocates giving children born outside of wedlock up for adoption. Also if crime makes your living space horrible (which most people reckon it does) single motherhood is statistically a massive contribution to crime levels.

Again, her argument, not mine

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6561 on: July 14, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »
If you are a smoker and you smoke on top of buildings by vents, I hate you. Came home to my entire apartment smelling like cigarettes

Yeah. That's super rude. Also, if you're literally walking on the sidewalk and there are people behind you, don't smoke. Like, seriously. Just stop and have your cigarette so people don't get a constant stream of your second hand smoke.

I can't be friends with inconsiderate smokers.  My gramps was a smoker but he only smoked outside and would always go down the backyard away from the house to keep the smoke away from everyone else.

I had roommates in university one year who, for some reason, liked to smoke in our bathroom, which made no sense, since there was no window in our bathroom. Needless to say, I sprayed a lot of air freshener in the bathroom that year.

As an ex-smoker, quit 6yrs ago, I can say for sure that smoking etiquette is definitely lacking in these parts. On the other hand, non-smokers are definitely becoming increasingly more whiny as well. A breath or two of 2nd hand smoke is pretty insignificant when you consider the air you're breathing in 24/7, the food you're eating and your habits.

Korea is a country of cramped spaces, poor ventilation and many smokers. Many smokers are inconsiderate twats who'll smoke in the apartment passages, some are just doing the best they can. It's a fact of life in this country.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6562 on: July 14, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »
I gotta be blunt. That is the dumbest comparison I've ever heard. Smokers choose to smoke and risk their health and the health of others. Most people don't choose to be single parents and aren't proactively risking their health and the health of others. Single mothers aren't making my living space horrible.

According to Coulter they do choose to be single mothers as even if they conceive 'by accident', she advocates giving children born outside of wedlock up for adoption. Also if crime makes your living space horrible (which most people reckon it does) single motherhood is statistically a massive contribution to crime levels.

Again, her argument, not mine

If it's not your argument, then don't even bring it up. It's one of the worst opinions I've heard. Distance yourself from that kind of thinking.

Rice lunch was disappointing as expected  :cry: I hate going to this school because there's no big stores around. There's only 2 convenient stores around the school, but I don't want to eat junk.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:15:29 AM by jddavis7 »

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6563 on: July 14, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »
spam and jam sandwich for lunch

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6564 on: July 14, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »
When I used to work in summer (university) housing, one notorious group of guests smoked CIGARS inside, apparently without the windows open, because you could smell it on the whole floor. They then sprayed perfume to mask it, although that just made it a whole lot worse.

We couldn't do much until we caught them, so their entire floor got "No Smoking" signs every three feet or so, including one or two on the door of the offenders.

They still got caught and kicked out, but seriously, how can you say "No, we haven't been smoking" when I can smell it from at least 10 feet away...

Ah, they weren't just smoking cigars...

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6565 on: July 14, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »

I've never had spam before, but I'm scared to try.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6566 on: July 14, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »
If it's not your argument, then don't even bring it up. It's one of the worst opinions I've heard. Distance yourself from that kind of thinking.

That sounds a bit like an argument for an echo chamber. If I was handing out advice, I'd tell people to read all sorts of opinions and try and form logical arguments against the ones you don't agree with.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6567 on: July 14, 2017, 11:46:28 AM »
If you are a smoker and you smoke on top of buildings by vents, I hate you. Came home to my entire apartment smelling like cigarettes

Yeah. That's super rude. Also, if you're literally walking on the sidewalk and there are people behind you, don't smoke. Like, seriously. Just stop and have your cigarette so people don't get a constant stream of your second hand smoke.

I can't be friends with inconsiderate smokers.

Could you be friends with a single mother? Anne Coulter makes the point that they f..ck up society much more than smokers through their own choices but are seen as heroic in the Western world. Whereas smokers are demonised.

I'm nether a smoker, nor a fan of Anne Coulter by the way. Just thought it was an interesting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI3FE4pI_kw

I do have friends who happen to be smokers, but only of the considerate variety.  Whenever they take a smoke break they take it outside.  I just stay upwind so the smoke drifts away from me.  Then we chat and carry on.  As a child I had to use an inhaler so heavier exposure (for example, indoor smoking environments) would irritate my lungs. 

Gonna be honest, didn't watch the video.  I do think that's a funky comparison to make but I suppose I could view it in terms of "lifestyle choices."  Arguably it would be harder for a mother to give up a child than smoking (though addicts could make an argument).  Though to be frank, I probably wouldn't be friends with any single mothers because raising the kid would most likely take up all their time and kill their social life.  Also, a single mother is less likely to give me cancer than secondhand smoke, hahah. 

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6568 on: July 14, 2017, 11:46:39 AM »

That sounds a bit like an argument for an echo chamber. If I was handing out advice, I'd tell people to read all sorts of opinions and try and form logical arguments against the ones you don't agree with.

I'm for it, too. However, I don't think Ann Coulter makes good logical arguments. I feel that she's a "slippery slope" kind of person who always goes to the worst scenario. I agree that a person should consider all advice, but if someone is depressed "Go kill yourself" is probably not good advice. There's nothing wrong with ignoring extreme statements.

Also, I don't want to address her statement cuz I'm in this thread to complain about smokers and boring lunches  :laugh: who cares about her rn?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:48:21 AM by jddavis7 »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6569 on: July 14, 2017, 11:53:46 AM »
I'm for it, too. However, I don't think Ann Coulter makes good logical arguments.

If that's true they should be easy to refute. I don't think you managed to do that in your initial rebuttal, as I pointed out.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6570 on: July 14, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »
I'm for it, too. However, I don't think Ann Coulter makes good logical arguments.

If that's true they should be easy to refute. I don't think you managed to do that in your initial rebuttal, as I pointed out.

Okay. You win whatever conversation you're trying to have. I accept defeat  :laugh: Let's get back on topic of ranting about annoying things in Korea

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6571 on: July 14, 2017, 12:05:20 PM »

I'm for it, too. However, I don't think Ann Coulter makes good logical arguments. I feel that she's a "slippery slope" kind of person who always goes to the worst scenario. I agree that a person should consider all advice, but if someone is depressed "Go kill yourself" is probably not good advice. There's nothing wrong with ignoring extreme statements.

Also, I don't want to address her statement cuz I'm in this thread to complain about smokers and boring lunches  :laugh: who cares about her rn?

I agree. If Anne Coulter herself or someone who truly believes in her views wants to come on here and try to compare single motherhood with smoking, I'm all for it. Until then, I think her views can be safely left out of the discussion.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6572 on: July 14, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »

I agree. If Anne Coulter herself or someone who truly believes in her views wants to come on here and try to compare single motherhood with smoking, I'm all for it. Until then, I think her views can be safely left out of the discussion.

I'm not in favour of making comparisons like that because there are too many differentials. However I would agree that it's become a little too accepted to bash smokers over other groups who possibly deserve it as much. I also think it's not a good idea to promote single motherhood over the nuclear family, as the stats bear out.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6573 on: July 14, 2017, 12:13:55 PM »

I'm not in favour of making comparisons like that because there are too many differentials. However I would agree that it's become a little too accepted to bash smokers over other groups who possibly deserve it as much. I also think it's not a good idea to promote single motherhood over the nuclear family, as the stats bear out.

Then you can start a thread for that!

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6574 on: July 14, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
it's become a little too accepted to bash smokers over other groups who possibly deserve it as much.

My wife makes a big display of disgust whenever she encounters a street smoker and always runs ahead of them whenever they happen to be walking ahead of us in the same direction. It ruins her mood for a good few minutes. I agree, this is a bit overblown. She would make the health argument, and she is truly disgusted by the smell (she's super sensitive to smells in general), but I would imagine that what irks most people about this behavior is that it's largely avoidable without much cost to the smoker (find a parking lot, or at least stop walking, or at least stop walking with a lit cigarette in a very crowded area), but that person doesn't possess even that slightest of considerations for those around her. The funny thing about Davis's example is that the offending smokers *did* make an effort to spare others of the odour, but in so doing  actually make it worse.

Not even smokers want their home to smell like cigarettes. That's why they walk outside and subject everyone else to it. You must admit, the smell of stale smoke that infuses a room can be vomit-inducing. Now imagine your room smells like this and you don't even smoke to begin with.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:27:53 PM by donovan »

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6575 on: July 14, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »
it's become a little too accepted to bash smokers over other groups who possibly deserve it as much.

My wife makes a big display of disgust whenever she encounters a street smoker and always runs ahead of them whenever they happen to be walking ahead of us in the same direction. It ruins her mood for a good few minutes. I agree, this is a bit overblown. She would make the health argument, and she is truly disgusted by the smell (she's super sensitive to smells in general), but I would imagine that what irks most people about this behavior is that it's largely avoidable without much cost to the smoker (find a parking lot, or at least stop walking, or at least stop walking with a lit cigarette in a very crowded area), but that person doesn't possess even that slightest of considerations for those around her. The funny thing about Davis's example is that the offending smokers *did* make an effort to spare others of the odour, but in so doing  actually make it worse.

Not even smokers want their home to smell like cigarettes. That's why they walk outside and subject everyone else to it. You must admit, the smell of stale smoke that infuses a room can be vomit-inducing. Now imagine your room smells like this and you don't even smoke to begin with.

Plus I have asthma  :cry:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6576 on: July 14, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »

Why would you be afraid of Spam? That's like being afraid of salad dressing, or crackers.
Spam is amazing.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6577 on: July 14, 2017, 12:58:22 PM »

Why would you be afraid of Spam? That's like being afraid of salad dressing, or crackers.
Spam is amazing.

Is spam with jam amazing?  Or simply poisonous?

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6578 on: July 14, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »
Does anyone know why old-and-grumpy-but-ultimately-well-meaning Waygook.org user Pecan was muted?

I feel like people are entirely too harsh on him while being bizarrely tolerant of some other users.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6579 on: July 14, 2017, 01:03:30 PM »

Spam is amazing.

Is spam with jam amazing?  Or simply poisonous?

I mean, jam is one of those foods that's either really good or totally awful. I kind of like jam once in a while, in very limited quantities. Jam and cheddar sandwiches are (fire emoji)