November 20, 2017, 05:35:29 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 566124 times)

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6540 on: July 14, 2017, 09:31:20 AM »
If you are a smoker and you smoke on top of buildings by vents, I hate you. Came home to my entire apartment smelling like cigarettes

Yeah. That's super rude. Also, if you're literally walking on the sidewalk and there are people behind you, don't smoke. Like, seriously. Just stop and have your cigarette so people don't get a constant stream of your second hand smoke.

I can't be friends with inconsiderate smokers.  My gramps was a smoker but he only smoked outside and would always go down the backyard away from the house to keep the smoke away from everyone else.

I had roommates in university one year who, for some reason, liked to smoke in our bathroom, which made no sense, since there was no window in our bathroom. Needless to say, I sprayed a lot of air freshener in the bathroom that year. 

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #6541 on: July 14, 2017, 09:34:51 AM »
When I used to work in summer (university) housing, one notorious group of guests smoked CIGARS inside, apparently without the windows open, because you could smell it on the whole floor. They then sprayed perfume to mask it, although that just made it a whole lot worse.

We couldn't do much until we caught them, so their entire floor got "No Smoking" signs every three feet or so, including one or two on the door of the offenders.

They still got caught and kicked out, but seriously, how can you say "No, we haven't been smoking" when I can smell it from at least 10 feet away...

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6542 on: July 14, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »
If you are a smoker and you smoke on top of buildings by vents, I hate you. Came home to my entire apartment smelling like cigarettes

Yeah. That's super rude. Also, if you're literally walking on the sidewalk and there are people behind you, don't smoke. Like, seriously. Just stop and have your cigarette so people don't get a constant stream of your second hand smoke.

I can't be friends with inconsiderate smokers.

Could you be friends with a single mother? Anne Coulter makes the point that they f..ck up society much more than smokers through their own choices but are seen as heroic in the Western world. Whereas smokers are demonised.

I'm nether a smoker, nor a fan of Anne Coulter by the way. Just thought it was an interesting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI3FE4pI_kw

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6543 on: July 14, 2017, 09:41:51 AM »
So, made my first immigration office appointment online and blech. Only works in IE and I had to download at least six different "security" programs to get it to work at all. This is just to make an appointment, not even to make a permanent account or spend money or anything. Korea really needs to get its web design out of the early 00s.

Also, I understand they're not obligated to offer services in English, but if they're going to do so voluntarily at least hire someone capable. This is the national immigration office website and it's covered in spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6544 on: July 14, 2017, 09:54:30 AM »

Could you be friends with a single mother? Anne Coulter makes the point that they f..ck up society much more than smokers through their own choices but are seen as heroic in the Western world. Whereas smokers are demonised.

I'm nether a smoker, nor a fan of Anne Coulter by the way. Just thought it was an interesting point.

I gotta be blunt. That is the dumbest comparison I've ever heard. Smokers choose to smoke and risk their health and the health of others. Most people don't choose to be single parents and aren't proactively risking their health and the health of others. Single mothers aren't making my living space horrible.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6545 on: July 14, 2017, 09:58:01 AM »
So, made my first immigration office appointment online and blech. Only works in IE and I had to download at least six different "security" programs to get it to work at all. This is just to make an appointment, not even to make a permanent account or spend money or anything. Korea really needs to get its web design out of the early 00s.

Also, I understand they're not obligated to offer services in English, but if they're going to do so voluntarily at least hire someone capable. This is the national immigration office website and it's covered in spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

my wife is apply for a contract job with KB bank and, aside from having to open up a bank account with KB in order to be eligible to apply, she also had to use her digital certificate just to access the online application.  And -- surprise, surprise! -- software malfunction! There's some comfort in knowing that Koreans struggle with this too...just not my wife.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6546 on: July 14, 2017, 10:09:49 AM »
I gotta be blunt. That is the dumbest comparison I've ever heard. Smokers choose to smoke and risk their health and the health of others. Most people don't choose to be single parents and aren't proactively risking their health and the health of others. Single mothers aren't making my living space horrible.

According to Coulter they do choose to be single mothers as even if they conceive 'by accident', she advocates giving children born outside of wedlock up for adoption. Also if crime makes your living space horrible (which most people reckon it does) single motherhood is statistically a massive contribution to crime levels.

Again, her argument, not mine

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6547 on: July 14, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »

I can't be friends with inconsiderate smokers.  My gramps was a smoker but he only smoked outside and would always go down the backyard away from the house to keep the smoke away from everyone else.

I had roommates in university one year who, for some reason, liked to smoke in our bathroom, which made no sense, since there was no window in our bathroom. Needless to say, I sprayed a lot of air freshener in the bathroom that year.

As an ex-smoker, quit 6yrs ago, I can say for sure that smoking etiquette is definitely lacking in these parts. On the other hand, non-smokers are definitely becoming increasingly more whiny as well. A breath or two of 2nd hand smoke is pretty insignificant when you consider the air you're breathing in 24/7, the food you're eating and your habits.

Korea is a country of cramped spaces, poor ventilation and many smokers. Many smokers are inconsiderate twats who'll smoke in the apartment passages, some are just doing the best they can. It's a fact of life in this country.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6548 on: July 14, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »

According to Coulter they do choose to be single mothers as even if they conceive 'by accident', she advocates giving children born outside of wedlock up for adoption. Also if crime makes your living space horrible (which most people reckon it does) single motherhood is statistically a massive contribution to crime levels.

Again, her argument, not mine

If it's not your argument, then don't even bring it up. It's one of the worst opinions I've heard. Distance yourself from that kind of thinking.

Rice lunch was disappointing as expected  :cry: I hate going to this school because there's no big stores around. There's only 2 convenient stores around the school, but I don't want to eat junk.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:15:29 AM by jddavis7 »

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6549 on: July 14, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »
spam and jam sandwich for lunch

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6550 on: July 14, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »
When I used to work in summer (university) housing, one notorious group of guests smoked CIGARS inside, apparently without the windows open, because you could smell it on the whole floor. They then sprayed perfume to mask it, although that just made it a whole lot worse.

We couldn't do much until we caught them, so their entire floor got "No Smoking" signs every three feet or so, including one or two on the door of the offenders.

They still got caught and kicked out, but seriously, how can you say "No, we haven't been smoking" when I can smell it from at least 10 feet away...

Ah, they weren't just smoking cigars...

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6551 on: July 14, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »
spam and jam sandwich for lunch

I've never had spam before, but I'm scared to try.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6552 on: July 14, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »
If it's not your argument, then don't even bring it up. It's one of the worst opinions I've heard. Distance yourself from that kind of thinking.

That sounds a bit like an argument for an echo chamber. If I was handing out advice, I'd tell people to read all sorts of opinions and try and form logical arguments against the ones you don't agree with.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6553 on: July 14, 2017, 11:46:28 AM »

I do have friends who happen to be smokers, but only of the considerate variety.  Whenever they take a smoke break they take it outside.  I just stay upwind so the smoke drifts away from me.  Then we chat and carry on.  As a child I had to use an inhaler so heavier exposure (for example, indoor smoking environments) would irritate my lungs. 

Gonna be honest, didn't watch the video.  I do think that's a funky comparison to make but I suppose I could view it in terms of "lifestyle choices."  Arguably it would be harder for a mother to give up a child than smoking (though addicts could make an argument).  Though to be frank, I probably wouldn't be friends with any single mothers because raising the kid would most likely take up all their time and kill their social life.  Also, a single mother is less likely to give me cancer than secondhand smoke, hahah. 

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6554 on: July 14, 2017, 11:46:39 AM »

That sounds a bit like an argument for an echo chamber. If I was handing out advice, I'd tell people to read all sorts of opinions and try and form logical arguments against the ones you don't agree with.

I'm for it, too. However, I don't think Ann Coulter makes good logical arguments. I feel that she's a "slippery slope" kind of person who always goes to the worst scenario. I agree that a person should consider all advice, but if someone is depressed "Go kill yourself" is probably not good advice. There's nothing wrong with ignoring extreme statements.

Also, I don't want to address her statement cuz I'm in this thread to complain about smokers and boring lunches  :laugh: who cares about her rn?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:48:21 AM by jddavis7 »

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6555 on: July 14, 2017, 11:53:46 AM »
I'm for it, too. However, I don't think Ann Coulter makes good logical arguments.

If that's true they should be easy to refute. I don't think you managed to do that in your initial rebuttal, as I pointed out.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6556 on: July 14, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »
I'm for it, too. However, I don't think Ann Coulter makes good logical arguments.

If that's true they should be easy to refute. I don't think you managed to do that in your initial rebuttal, as I pointed out.

Okay. You win whatever conversation you're trying to have. I accept defeat  :laugh: Let's get back on topic of ranting about annoying things in Korea

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6557 on: July 14, 2017, 12:05:20 PM »

I'm for it, too. However, I don't think Ann Coulter makes good logical arguments. I feel that she's a "slippery slope" kind of person who always goes to the worst scenario. I agree that a person should consider all advice, but if someone is depressed "Go kill yourself" is probably not good advice. There's nothing wrong with ignoring extreme statements.

Also, I don't want to address her statement cuz I'm in this thread to complain about smokers and boring lunches  :laugh: who cares about her rn?

I agree. If Anne Coulter herself or someone who truly believes in her views wants to come on here and try to compare single motherhood with smoking, I'm all for it. Until then, I think her views can be safely left out of the discussion.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6558 on: July 14, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »

I agree. If Anne Coulter herself or someone who truly believes in her views wants to come on here and try to compare single motherhood with smoking, I'm all for it. Until then, I think her views can be safely left out of the discussion.

I'm not in favour of making comparisons like that because there are too many differentials. However I would agree that it's become a little too accepted to bash smokers over other groups who possibly deserve it as much. I also think it's not a good idea to promote single motherhood over the nuclear family, as the stats bear out.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6559 on: July 14, 2017, 12:13:55 PM »

I'm not in favour of making comparisons like that because there are too many differentials. However I would agree that it's become a little too accepted to bash smokers over other groups who possibly deserve it as much. I also think it's not a good idea to promote single motherhood over the nuclear family, as the stats bear out.

Then you can start a thread for that!