December 11, 2017, 11:57:51 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 594314 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6500 on: July 25, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
Or any other mutually accessible drive.

If it is an internal network, why make copies?

I'm not making copies. It's

:-* CO2 teacher. Send me your camp stuff.

:police: Yeah, it's bigger than 20MB per file [that said, the total any one message can handle is 20MB]

:-* I miss Cool Messenger

:police: Me too [Things I never thought I'd say]

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6501 on: July 25, 2017, 01:57:21 PM »
Or any other mutually accessible drive.

If it is an internal network, why make copies?

I'm not making copies. It's

:-* CO2 teacher. Send me your camp stuff.

:police: Yeah, it's bigger than 20MB per file [that said, the total any one message can handle is 20MB]

:-* I miss Cool Messenger

:police: Me too [Things I never thought I'd say]

Google drive: read only access.

Offline sharding

• Waygookin
« Reply #6502 on: July 25, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »

Edit: Fixed the language display problem, now I just have to see if I can change it to English like cool messenger.

Is this Message Popup 2 by any chance? I've been trying to sort out the same problem on my work computer for weeks.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:07:36 PM by sharding »

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6503 on: July 25, 2017, 02:17:35 PM »

Edit: Fixed the language display problem, now I just have to see if I can change it to English like cool messenger.

Is this Message Popup 2 by any chance? I've been trying to sort out the same problem on my work computer for weeks.
It's the new Gyeonggi messenger system that they've installed. I haven't used Message Popup, but here are the instructions I followed that fixed my problem. :)

https://www.pntbrother.com/broken-korean-language-windows-10-8-7-xp/

gidget

« Reply #6504 on: July 25, 2017, 03:23:56 PM »
My coteacher and I spent a little bit of money so the kids could have lunch (and not cup ramen) because the admin wanker said no budget for you! Yet the music camp get kimbap from a local shop delivered. When we asked him about that, he said they music camp asked first, so now there is none left.

So we are sitting there just getting our food ready, shit for brains comes in and thinks he is going to eat some of our food because it's better than kimbap.

Coteacher dishes out the food, first to the children, then to me, then to himself, leaving nothing left. Turns to the admin guy and says, now there is none left. Admin guy goes off in a huff taking his empty plate with him.

Thumbs up for your CT!

Offline hiragardless

• Waygookin
« Reply #6505 on: July 25, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »
Today was the second day of camp at my school. It's a five day camp and I'm already struggling pretty hard. I just found out I had a camp last week on Wednesday and was asked to prepare the materials/content that day for camp and hand it in on Thursday. I said okay, these things happen, I don't like it but there's not much I can do in this situation. My co-teacher then tells me that she is going to be unable to help me because she is going on vacation and has already booked everything and that it's up to me to do everything for the camp. She then says she'll see if anyone signs up but if only one or two students sign up they'll cancel the camp. It turns out that my co-teacher was telling her students that she would be there for camp, and some of her students signed up. (3rd grade middle school, many of them are trying to get into a good high school and are really starting to focus on English. Hence, why they wanted my co-teacher. I mostly teach through games which they don't find very beneficial at the moment.)  So, when Monday rolled around the kids were asking me where my co-teacher was. When I told them that she went on vacation, they were less than enthusiastic. As was I, when I found out that she had been saying she would be there when she wouldn't. Especially, since she did not help whatsoever with camp.

This really hit into my morale of "let's hope for the best with this English camp even though we had to plan it in a day with no budget, and no help." Now, I'm just feeling really sad and inadquate because they keep telling me how boring it is and they have to leave to go to their academies. I'm just losing my morale really quickly and I feel like I'm trying really hard to just accept it, because it's really, really aggravating and it does wear on you when your teaching. I'm just hoping camp will go by quickly.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6506 on: July 25, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »
Middle school kids are tough. The one thing that I found worked with them was conversation. I would talk to them honestly about how they felt about education, their country, dating or whatever. I found that they liked to talk about themselves. They are teenagers who will wake up if the subject of conversation is good enough. There are many good questions available online. I would search for esl questions. I taught middle school and high school kids for years and they can be up and down. If all else fails, challenge them with some difficult writing assignment. They still have writing assignments even in high school that they do take seriously despite the fact that the seunung doesnt deal with that. Hope I have been of some help.

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6507 on: July 26, 2017, 05:21:46 AM »
Day 3 of English camp is today.
Day 1 - one student. 
Day 2- two students at beginning.  I start them on a craft activity.  30 minutes later, two more students arrive.  One hour later, all three of them have to leave-or so they say.  I'm not going to argue with them or force the issue.  So, for the rest of the day it's me and the same student from day one.

I see no point in going today. :sad: The only good thing is that the new vice principal lets us leave the school for lunch. 

This is the first camp I've taught alone at this school.  My previous coT was great and taught with me, and the kids loved her.  I taught winter camp with my new coT, but it wasn't anything great. 

This year she told me the school didn't have the budget for her to be there.

I just feel this week is a waste of the budget (we bought supplies) and time.

Counting today, 3 more days to go.  Weekend, please come quickly!

gidget

« Reply #6508 on: July 26, 2017, 08:09:16 AM »
Happiness: my camp supplies have just arrived (the ones I requested 3 weeks ago so they're a little late).

Sadness: Things are missing, things are the wrong quantity/size/item so I'm going to have to change a lot of my camp.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6509 on: July 26, 2017, 08:39:00 AM »
last night, I was approached by a Korean guy looking for a hook up on a certain dating app. He then proceeded to tell me he's scared to meet foreigners and that I could be a "strange person" because of all the sexual assaults done by foreigners he hears about in the news.

....this 184cm 80kg man (he gave me his measurements in his first message) was scared of lil' ol' me because biased news reporting.. I can't believe it. I don't know one single foreign woman who hasn't had some negative or scary interaction with some gross Korean guy but the news never reports on that (and I told him so) but yeah... I'M the scary one  :rolleyes:

Don't get alone with me in a motel room guys, I'm a scary one!

But at the end of the day... he still wanted to get it in  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6510 on: July 26, 2017, 09:09:36 AM »
(he gave me his measurements in his first message)

ALL his measurements?  :P

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #6511 on: July 26, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »
That's a bold strategy.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6512 on: July 26, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »
(he gave me his measurements in his first message)

ALL his measurements?  :P

Haha, no. He left that one important detail out.

Unlike another guy who introduced himself to me as "gangnam oppa" and DID give that measurement within the first few messages. Something along the lines of "Let me guess, you've never been with a Korean man, huh? We have big ****s. I guess I'm pretty lucky."

Online z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6513 on: July 26, 2017, 09:29:17 AM »
We have big ****s. I guess I'm pretty lucky."

I don't agree with that based on the 8 people who have no curtains in the apartment building opposite mine, and the 2 pieces of shit who thought it would be funny to piss on the tree next to my car while I was still in it.

Seriously, what is it with people in this country and their hate of window curtains? I don't want to be drinking my tea on my balcony and see your little tiny wang slopping about as you get the clothes off your drying rack.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6514 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »
I wasn't invited to the summer vacation ceremony  :-[

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #6515 on: July 26, 2017, 10:28:00 AM »
My Co-T acts disappointed when I leave extra blank slides  (at the end) on my PPTs that I make. hahaha

Literally nothing bad can happen.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6516 on: July 26, 2017, 10:37:22 AM »
My Co-T acts disappointed when I leave extra blank slides  (at the end) on my PPTs that I make. hahaha

Literally nothing bad can happen.

I always purposefully start and end up PPts with at least one blank slide. It's easier to control what the kids see and when they see it, it makes for smoother transitions between activities, and it signals the end of the slideshow without closing out the program. I often leaves slides with my 'raw material' of images after a couple blank slides at the end of the file, as well.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:40:02 AM by donovan »

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6517 on: July 26, 2017, 10:40:14 AM »
last night, I was approached by a Korean guy looking for a hook up on a certain dating app. He then proceeded to tell me he's scared to meet foreigners and that I could be a "strange person" because of all the sexual assaults done by foreigners he hears about in the news.

....this 184cm 80kg man (he gave me his measurements in his first message) was scared of lil' ol' me because biased news reporting.. I can't believe it. I don't know one single foreign woman who hasn't had some negative or scary interaction with some gross Korean guy but the news never reports on that (and I told him so) but yeah... I'M the scary one  :rolleyes:

But at the end of the day... he still wanted to get it in  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There is an animated commercial currently running on TV ( i can't find a copy online to link) that teaches Korean kids about stranger danger.  It is done in the style of "Little red riding hood".  The girl is walking along and is followed.  She remembers seeing information about a bad person (who morphs into a huge wolf) and we see an info sheet about a known offender.  The sheet has the silhouette of a man that doesn't look Korean, (looks caucasian).  if you look carefully at the writing on the paper, it reads: "Wayggokin".  Really, the biggest danger to kids regarding their safety is white males? 

Maybe if the government addessed the domestic criminality, rather than targetting foreigners, the perspectives of the population may change somewhat.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6518 on: July 26, 2017, 10:52:08 AM »

There is an animated commercial currently running on TV ( i can't find a copy online to link) that teaches Korean kids about stranger danger.  It is done in the style of "Little red riding hood".  The girl is walking along and is followed.  She remembers seeing information about a bad person (who morphs into a huge wolf) and we see an info sheet about a known offender.  The sheet has the silhouette of a man that doesn't look Korean, (looks caucasian).  if you look carefully at the writing on the paper, it reads: "Wayggokin".  Really, the biggest danger to kids regarding their safety is white males? 

Maybe if the government addessed the domestic criminality, rather than targetting foreigners, the perspectives of the population may change somewhat.

Koreans are angels. Their manners are umatched in the world and because of 정, you are always 100% safe here!!!

The sad thing is that the tactics are working so well... to the point where a man much bigger than me, asking ME to meet him in a motel, is scared of me simply because I'm a foreigner. As a small woman in a country where I don't speak the language, I am the one who would be at the most risk in this situation but he didn't even realize it.

I knew this Korean girl who told me she had a white male friend at her gym but she was going to distance herself from him because she didn't want to look "bad" in the eyes of the other gym goers. I asked her if he did anything bad or had a bad reputation but she said no, that it just "looks bad" to be seen with a white man and she wants to be seen as a good girl.

Another Korean girl told me she was really into English guys, and met an English guy, but she was scared to date him because of "how foreign men are, you know... they just want one thing" it blew her mind when I told her Korean guys can be the same thing with foreign women. And so far the guy had been nothing but kind to her.

All countries/governments do this kind of xenophobic BS, but it's shocking how people don't realize their news is biased.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6519 on: July 26, 2017, 11:33:39 AM »
The sad thing is that the tactics are working so well... to the point where a man much bigger than me, asking ME to meet him in a motel, is scared of me simply because I'm a foreigner. As a small woman in a country where I don't speak the language, I am the one who would be at the most risk in this situation but he didn't even realize it.

Something tells me this guy was playing coy. Perhaps to make you to feel like the pursuer and to get you to lower *your* defenses, and get you into said motel?

About your Korean friend and the Englishman, yeah, my wife felt strange holding hands with me in public early on in our relationship, especially around children. The horror! :huh:

She finally came around, though! :wink:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:35:12 AM by donovan »