November 19, 2017, 08:23:52 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564606 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6460 on: July 10, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »
Is anyone not having a miserable Monday?

(Spoiler: I'm also having a miserable Monday.)

Man, F Monday. My weekend was so ace and then this bullshit rolls around. hahaha

My weekend was completely uneventful, and for the first time in my life I'm having complete writer's block on making camp materials. This has never happened to me before, and it's frustrating.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6461 on: July 10, 2017, 02:14:08 PM »
Yeah f-ing Monday.  :cry: Tuesday is just as bad though. Things only get going around Wednesday. n

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6462 on: July 10, 2017, 02:14:32 PM »
Grade 6 class.  Subject is: How tall are you? Co teacher devises a worksheet where the kids fill their height, foot size, how big is your hand, bicep, waist, circumference of head, length of leg etc etc.  Gives them some tape measure and lets them have at it.  She joins in, measuring  the girls.  At one point she yells to me 'help me' and wants me to measure the inner length of one of the boys legs.   :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

no no no, I will not do that.  What is wrong with you!!? Why would you even ask me that? 

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6463 on: July 10, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »
Grade 6 class.  Subject is: How tall are you? Co teacher devises a worksheet where the kids fill their height, foot size, how big is your hand, bicep, waist, circumference of head, length of leg etc etc.  Gives them some tape measure and lets them have at it.  She joins in, measuring  the girls.  At one point she yells to me 'help me' and wants me to measure the inner length of one of the boys legs.   :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

no no no, I will not do that.  What is wrong with you!!? Why would you even ask me that?

"Do you dress to the left or right?"

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6464 on: July 10, 2017, 02:40:46 PM »

What did you do in the end?

I don't see the worksheet as being too bad though, might steal the idea. Without helping obvs!  :laugh:

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6465 on: July 10, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »

I don't see the worksheet as being too bad though, might steal the idea. Without helping obvs!  :laugh:

I just said no, with a bewildered look on my face (one that i've been perfecting recently with this ct).  I think the boy looked relieved. 

Oh, the worksheet is a fine idea, have at it, I can send it to you if you wish.  Even used it last year with no issues, kids seemed to enjoy measuring things. It was the method of measuring the leg this year that was a little off.  Last year kids measured it from the hip joint to the ankle joint on the outside of the leg. Inaccurate perhaps but fine for this purpose.  We weren't measuring for suits.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:55:10 PM by welcomebackkotter »

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6466 on: July 10, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »
For the last two weeks of the semester, my school has decided to cram 6 classes in before lunch and reserve the periods after lunch for cleaning and other random stuff. That means that instead of 4 45 minute classes with 10 minute breaks between them, I have 6 35 minute classes with 5 minute breaks between them for the next two weeks. Which reminds me, I should probably ask about when we plan on having the one 7th period class I usually have.

It's bad enough that we have to have classes at all after finals, since the students have all checked out mentally. Now I have shortened classes with shortened breaks to match, rendering the lessons I had planned either useless or impossible without heavily modifying both the content presented and the activities planned.

What's that? Did someone say "Movie days?"

Now there's an idea!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6467 on: July 10, 2017, 02:59:50 PM »

Bahahah.  So in theatre this is a common measurement. 

For the inseam, have the person getting measured hold the tape measure up in his/her own crotch while you hold the other end toward the ground.  If you want a true measurement, make sure the [lads] get the tape measure up in there and stand up straight. 

Though for the purposes of your class, I'm sure accuracy doesn't much matter. 

Offline kimchiyum

• Veteran
« Reply #6468 on: July 10, 2017, 08:19:48 PM »

I definitely don't think it's a good idea for the student's to measure waists, as you will end up with a couple of people with larger numbers than most!! That would be pretty humiliating. It also seems more like a maths lesson than English.

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6469 on: July 10, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »

I definitely don't think it's a good idea for the student's to measure waists, as you will end up with a couple of people with larger numbers than most!! That would be pretty humiliating. It also seems more like a maths lesson than English.

I did a similar thing last year, though I stuck to height, hair length and hand size. My CT insisted on removing the height measuring as many of the students felt too self conscious about reporting their height... 5th grade children are made to feel self conscious about their height... Speaks volumes about the society they live in.

Anyway, to illustrate my point, the students insisted on measuring my height, then proceeded to clap and congratulate me in a bit of an awkward display. My CT seemed to be feeling a bit upstaged and decided to add a new challenge "How long can you split?".
My CT does Yoga and in a rather undignified spectacle, goes into a rather shaky splits with her panties and love handles popping out for all to see.

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6470 on: July 11, 2017, 07:26:28 AM »

I did a similar thing last year, though I stuck to height, hair length and hand size. My CT insisted on removing the height measuring as many of the students felt too self conscious about reporting their height... 5th grade children are made to feel self conscious about their height... Speaks volumes about the society they live in.

I considered taking out the parts that could make them self-conscious, waist and the like, ct insisted it was fine, and she runs the show in the end (whether I like it or not).  Some kids were fine with it, some were shy.  Thankfully it's not done in front of class, the kids are in smaller groups, diluting the issue a little bit, and I don't make them announce the results. 

Also, not a maths lesson, they were being taught how to say numbers in English, which is a struggle for many of them, as well as the difference between how long, how tall, how big etc.  "How tall is my hand?' no.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6471 on: July 11, 2017, 07:55:07 AM »

Anyway, to illustrate my point, the students insisted on measuring my height, then proceeded to clap and congratulate me in a bit of an awkward display. My CT seemed to be feeling a bit upstaged and decided to add a new challenge "How long can you split?".
My CT does Yoga and in a rather undignified spectacle, goes into a rather shaky splits with her panties and love handles popping out for all to see.

That sounds so awkward.

I had a CT who refused to take off her 5 inch platform slippers to measure her height against the students whom she was clearly shorter than. She looked at me with pleading eyes to not make her do it, so I said okay, I'll do it alone.

She was fine with them calling her fat and ugly, but when it comes to height it was a big problem. I thought this was something only guys obsessed over here so I really didn't get it. Everyone could see that some 6th graders were really tall, and that she wore platforms to school every day, but she really thought she needed to keep them on to play the game  ;D

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6472 on: July 11, 2017, 09:01:13 AM »

That sounds so awkward.

I had a CT who refused to take off her 5 inch platform slippers to measure her height against the students whom she was clearly shorter than. She looked at me with pleading eyes to not make her do it, so I said okay, I'll do it alone.

She was fine with them calling her fat and ugly, but when it comes to height it was a big problem. I thought this was something only guys obsessed over here so I really didn't get it. Everyone could see that some 6th graders were really tall, and that she wore platforms to school every day, but she really thought she needed to keep them on to play the game  ;D

This one I can kind of understand. A lot of the elementary kids still associate height with adulthood. I have a few 6th graders who are taller than my Co-T and they don't really pay her any mind when she attempts to discipline them, but they kind of listen to me. My theory is that even though I'm not taller than them either, I'm at least taller than their mothers, so they see me as an adult/authority figure.

I might be wrong with my theory, but this Co-T doesn't have any problems disciplining the smaller kids in the same grade. And they also listen to their homeroom teacher, who is a tall woman.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6473 on: July 11, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »

That sounds so awkward.

This sheds new light on why I'm asked every personal question under the sun but when asked about my height (I am tall so it comes up fairly often), it's prefaced with "I don't want to be impolite but..."

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6474 on: July 11, 2017, 12:14:12 PM »

That sounds so awkward.

This one I can kind of understand. A lot of the elementary kids still associate height with adulthood. I have a few 6th graders who are taller than my Co-T and they don't really pay her any mind when she attempts to discipline them, but they kind of listen to me. My theory is that even though I'm not taller than them either, I'm at least taller than their mothers, so they see me as an adult/authority figure.

I might be wrong with my theory, but this Co-T doesn't have any problems disciplining the smaller kids in the same grade. And they also listen to their homeroom teacher, who is a tall woman.

That definitely could have been her thought process but the woman could have been wearing stilts and those kids wouldn't have cared. They regularly insulted her appearance, swore, threw their books out the window, even talked to her impolitely and all she ever did was shower them with candy. A few cm was never gonna save her  :cry:

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6475 on: July 11, 2017, 01:26:16 PM »

My weekend was completely uneventful, and for the first time in my life I'm having complete writer's block on making camp materials. This has never happened to me before, and it's frustrating.

I don't have writer's block because I stole all my material from someone, I just need to change it a little, but I just cannot get my arse into gear to prep anything. Not even the lesson plans. Although this seems to have happened when I found out I have to have 3 camps and everyone wants a different "theme" or "focus", and all I want is a damn vacation!!!!!!!! Other than that I am pretty good though.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6476 on: July 11, 2017, 01:29:19 PM »
I hate you Hangul Word Processor. Why would you split a word down the middle at the end of a line?

Nobody wri
tes like thi
s!!

Why?!? I'd be hard pressed to find another text input field with the same flaw. Hell, this frickin minimal Quick Reply field on this half-ass coded website does it properly. Why can't you!?!??!

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6477 on: July 11, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »
I hate you Hangul Word Processor. Why would you split a word down the middle at the end of a line?

Nobody wri
tes like thi
s!!

Why?!? I'd be hard pressed to find another text input field with the same flaw. Hell, this frickin minimal Quick Reply field on this half-ass coded website does it properly. Why can't you!?!??!

My stude
nts do th
is and its
so annoy
ing

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6478 on: July 11, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »

Nobody wri
tes like thi
s!!

I ha
te this to
o but is it bec
ause Hangul auto
matically groups its
elf? I have no id
ea

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6479 on: July 11, 2017, 03:23:29 PM »

Nobody wri
tes like thi
s!!

I ha
te this to
o but is it bec
ause Hangul auto
matically groups its
elf? I have no id
ea

I learne
d that H
angul is
n't usua
lly used