October 17, 2017, 05:04:52 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 518902 times)

Online Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6420 on: June 29, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »
Yeah, it's a good thing I looked it up to double-check, because I thought he was actually trying to be helpful and I'd have genuinely used it.  :laugh:

Note to self: Don't accept advice from CO2.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #6421 on: June 29, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline gideonvasquez

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6422 on: June 29, 2017, 03:06:42 PM »
Anyone know the Korean equivalent of "Occupied!" when you're using the bathroom and someone knocks or tries to open the door? I need something to yell the next time the cleaning lady inevitably comes in when I'm using the bathroom. Shouting in English clearly has no effect  :laugh:.

엿 먹어 means "to eat toffee." It means that the toffee will stick in their digestive system and slow down THEIR poo, so they can wait longer. It's a traditional way of saying, "wait for the bathroom, it you would."

엿 먹어 means Shut the Fook up!  as in, occupy your mouth.  Shouting this will do you no favours!
You could try a loud grunt, followed by a single plop, and finished with a muffled sob.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6423 on: June 29, 2017, 03:14:29 PM »
So, is there a reason for knocking?

They do it on the airplane, too, though it is plain to see that it is occupied.

I've never heard of any other culture of people doing that before.

Any guesses?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 03:18:01 PM by Pecan »

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6424 on: June 29, 2017, 03:36:03 PM »

Any guesses?
I would guess that it's to let the occupant know that there's somebody waiting for them  so stop playing with your phone and get off the pot.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6425 on: June 29, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »
Does anyone else feel like their co-teachers  are rearranging your schedule merely to convenience themselves? There's one day a week where I teach with all homeroom teachers, and every single week, someone reschedules their class from the morning to my-normally-free final afternoon slot. I swear, at this point they're just rotating who gets to dump their monsters on me final period because they sure aren't coming to class.
Yes. I know it's petty, but I wish I could just start rearranging my schedule because of a minor inconvenience and see how they like it.

Rant at myself: I don't know what I'm doing for summer vacation. I'm hoping to go to a place that's not too far but also not too hot. Maybe northern Japan?

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6426 on: June 29, 2017, 04:14:15 PM »

Any guesses?
I would guess that it's to let the occupant know that there's somebody waiting for them  so stop playing with your phone and get off the pot.
Where I'm from in Canada we usually knock lightly if the occupied sign looks broken, or if it's not a stall, but a closed door just to see if someone's actually in there opposed to waiting outside for 5 minutes before realizing there's no one in there. I've done it out of habit other times, but it's a light, questioning kind of knock.

If they're banging on the door and it's the cleaning person they're probably assuming some kid's camped out in there and its a warning to hurry up, then they realize it's you and stick with their message of "gtfo". I've never had angry knocking done to me here so I'm hoping that it's just a double check kind of knock you're getting o.o

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6427 on: June 29, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »
Does anyone else feel like their co-teachers  are rearranging your schedule merely to convenience themselves? There's one day a week where I teach with all homeroom teachers, and every single week, someone reschedules their class from the morning to my-normally-free final afternoon slot. I swear, at this point they're just rotating who gets to dump their monsters on me final period because they sure aren't coming to class.
Yes. I know it's petty, but I wish I could just start rearranging my schedule because of a minor inconvenience and see how they like it.

Rant at myself: I don't know what I'm doing for summer vacation. I'm hoping to go to a place that's not too far but also not too hot. Maybe northern Japan?

Idk how hot it's gonna be, but I'm hitting up Fukuoka again and doing day trips around Kyushu.  Fukuoka's a nice part of Japan.   :azn:  I got cheap roundtrip tickets just last weekend through Air Busan! Might still be some good deals left!

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6428 on: June 29, 2017, 04:59:59 PM »

Any guesses?

There has been three occasions on Korean flights whereby the door is showing as vacant only for me to push through it, and hear a scream as some middle-aged adjumma pushes the door back, with her undies around her ankles.  I asked one teacher after I got back and they thought maybe the adjumma likes the thrill of being caught, kind of like a less dangerous mile high club  :afro:

The flipside of this was when I was taking a dump in my middle school male toilets about 6 or so years back.  I was in the bog with the accordion type door and the terrible lock.  Only for the special education teacher, thinking it was her student using the toilet, to force the door back with me in the middle of crimping one off.  She apologised and never really looked at me the same way again. 

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6429 on: June 29, 2017, 06:15:26 PM »
Same here with regards to them not locking the door on the airplane.

There must have been a time 30+ years or so ago when they must have just had doors, but no locks on stalls.

Other than a Korean, who doesn't lock the bathroom door on an airplane?

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6430 on: June 29, 2017, 07:08:05 PM »

There has been three occasions on Korean flights whereby the door is showing as vacant only for me to push through it, and hear a scream as some middle-aged adjumma pushes the door back, with her undies around her ankles.  I asked one teacher after I got back and they thought maybe the adjumma likes the thrill of being caught, kind of like a less dangerous mile high club  :afro:

ok, right. this has happened to me on flights, i think, 3 times - and only with middle-aged korean women.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6431 on: June 30, 2017, 12:13:52 PM »
I'm reading Harry Potter right now, on Half Blood Prince. A student sees me reading it, walks by and smiles and says "Dumbledore dies." He's lucky I've read them before. I hate people who spoil things!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6432 on: June 30, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »
I'm reading Harry Potter right now, on Half Blood Prince. A student sees me reading it, walks by and smiles and says "Dumbledore dies." He's lucky I've read them before. I hate people who spoil things!

Had a roommate in college who loved spoiling things.  I was watching Avatar (the series) for the first time and was pretty engrossed. 

Roommate:  Do you want to know what happens???
Me:  No, I'm good.
Roommate:  Are you sure???
Me:  Yes... that's why I'm watching it.   :undecided:
Roommate:  Oh.  Okay. 

Roommate:  What happens is--!!!!! 

I cut her off by just up and leaving.  Least favorite roommate, but for a lot of reasons.   

Also, the HP audio books are pretty great!  I've listened to the American version (Jim Dale) of the series and I'm hoping to find access to the British version (Stephen Fry) to compare. 

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #6433 on: June 30, 2017, 12:33:35 PM »
Heard a story about the British Harry Potter audiobooks - apparently Steven Fry was a bit condescending to JK Rowling when he first met her (oh you write childrens' books good for you), so later when he had difficulty saying the phrase "he pocketed it", and asked if he could change it for the audiobook, he was rejected. And according to him, the phrase was then used more often in following books.

Note: I'm pretty sure I heard Steven Fry tell this story somewhere, but I can't remember for the life of me where.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6434 on: June 30, 2017, 12:39:33 PM »
I haaaaate when my first graders are late. Gives me false hope that class was cancelled.  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #6435 on: June 30, 2017, 12:46:11 PM »
When I came out of a Premiere Friday showing of The Dark Knight, the line was all set up and waiting to be ushered in to the next showing. I come out right next to them and tell my gf, "Wow, that was so weird that the Joker's character was gay." Cue the instant whispering and gasps as my false flag spread through the line like fire through a dry, summer forest. \
I wonder what they thought as they watched.

Another great example of spoiling as movie is the pilot for Kenny Vs. Spenny. It's a competition between two dudes every week and the loser has to do something humiliating. In this case, going up to the line wating for Unbreakable and ruining the twist. Enjoy.

http://youtube.com/qdR7emD8IL4?t=22m11s
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6436 on: June 30, 2017, 01:15:33 PM »
... I come out right next to them and tell my gf, "Wow, that was so weird that the Joker's character was gay."

:laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6437 on: June 30, 2017, 01:36:59 PM »
If you're waiting for a page to load for what seems like forever and determine that it might be frozen, refresh the page -- it'll finish loading right as you're doing that so that you can sit in fury while it attempts to load a second time.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6438 on: June 30, 2017, 02:47:03 PM »

ok, right. this has happened to me on flights, i think, 3 times - and only with middle-aged korean women.

As someone who has used many ((women's)) restrooms in Korea, sometimes these ladies don't even bother closing the door. I've been in restrooms where the adjummas leave the door halfway open and do their business. I've also been in one where there was a line, and an old lady walks in, skips the line, and squats on the child sized toilet that was out in the open. I guess they figure kids don't need privacy if they go in with their parents... but who expected a grown woman to use it in front of a full room? They really are from a different time, not to mention the men I see peeing outside during broad daylight surrounded by students and families walking by.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:54:14 PM by sevenpm »

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6439 on: June 30, 2017, 02:58:33 PM »

Had a roommate in college who loved spoiling things.  I was watching Avatar (the series) for the first time and was pretty engrossed. 

Roommate:  Do you want to know what happens???
Me:  No, I'm good.
Roommate:  Are you sure???
Me:  Yes... that's why I'm watching it.   :undecided:
Roommate:  Oh.  Okay. 

Roommate:  What happens is--!!!!! 

I cut her off by just up and leaving.  Least favorite roommate, but for a lot of reasons.   

Also, the HP audio books are pretty great!  I've listened to the American version (Jim Dale) of the series and I'm hoping to find access to the British version (Stephen Fry) to compare.
Oh, I've met one or two people like that. I don't understand what makes them tick like that.

I think the worse though, is self-spoilers. I did that to myself for both GoT and Vikings, both times by complete accident and out of nowhere, where I should have been safe.

Also, Avatar is the best! I loved that show. Korra isn't as good, but I still liked it.

I've never listened to them, but I've heard both are quite good in different ways. My friend listened to the Stephen Fry one and said he messed up on voices a couple times.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment