November 19, 2017, 08:15:21 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564585 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6340 on: July 04, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »
When you exit the parking garage at Kim's Club in Gunpo, there is a one-way sign pointing right... and all three lanes of traffic headed left!

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6341 on: July 04, 2017, 01:19:13 PM »
So grumpy today. It's Tuesday (my least fav)  Also I saw someone said something on some thread about desks/chairs being too short here and that is so true. My knees/hips are killing me!  :evil: finally, wtf should I do with my life? I really have no idea.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #6342 on: July 04, 2017, 01:22:20 PM »
When you exit the parking garage at Kim's Club in Gunpo, there is a one-way sign pointing right... and all three lanes of traffic headed left!

The Kim's Club under Sanbon? Shit, I walk through there every day. I'll keep an eye out for it. I live 1 minute from there.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6343 on: July 04, 2017, 01:44:34 PM »
Why do camps have to have damn themes? It's summer, it's hot, the kids would rather be elsewhere (for the most part). Can't it just be fun shit with some English sprinkled in?

This is my last camp and it's definitely going to be fun shit with a drizzle of English.

At my school it's always "English immersion" camp because I give all the instructions for the games and fun activities in English  :angel:

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6344 on: July 04, 2017, 01:46:36 PM »
So grumpy today. It's Tuesday (my least fav)  Also I saw someone said something on some thread about desks/chairs being too short here and that is so true. My knees/hips are killing me!  :evil: finally, wtf should I do with my life? I really have no idea.

That was Pecan, I think. I agree though. Also, my chair is broken, so every few minutes it just goes down and puts me close to the floor. I have to stand up, and hit the lever for it to go back up, then it does it again. I really want to get a new chair...

gidget

« Reply #6345 on: July 04, 2017, 01:50:42 PM »
I know this is coming from the pain and it's a random complaint but oh how I despise dentists right now. I can't figure out if my dentist is just incompetent or if there's a deep one-sided fatal attraction thing going on because I keep getting told, "Uh-oh, looks like we found another hole..." and having to go back for and more "necessary" work.

Why? Why do humans have teeth? We could just have them all pulled out and drink slushy food for the rest of our happy pain-free days!

I've given up on English camps. Everything is just translated. EVERYTHING!

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6346 on: July 04, 2017, 01:52:44 PM »

:cry: :cry: :cry: me too. Half way through this years contract and realising that after vacation I seriously need to start figuring out if I am going back home or not as I will need to prep my pets for export. What will I do if I go home though? I could teach, but we earn next to nothing back home...... I feel you;  WTF should I do with my life indeed
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6347 on: July 04, 2017, 01:59:47 PM »

:cry: :cry: :cry: me too. Half way through this years contract and realising that after vacation I seriously need to start figuring out if I am going back home or not as I will need to prep my pets for export. What will I do if I go home though? I could teach, but we earn next to nothing back home...... I feel you;  WTF should I do with my life indeed

I feel like I struggle with this every few years.  I'm gonna try to do one more year here to save up and then bounce back home and do who knows what. 

BTW, so glad you are taking your pets with you instead of abandoning them!

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6348 on: July 04, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »

Ahh so you have six months, thinking of renewing? I'm due to sign my contract on Friday and it's scary.

I see people go on about they're going to do XYZ when they get back or go into ABC job and I feel like I'm just starting out and don't know what road to go down.

I've always had jobs but I don't have much experience in "grown up jobs".

My degree subject is okay but my result was underwhelming. I don't really have the money to go back to uni and I don't really know what I would do if i did.

I understand people my age don't really have it all figured out yet...but the difference between me and my friends back home is they are figuring it out, and gaining that experience, but I'm here with no idea what to do.

FFFMMMMLLLLLLLLL

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6349 on: July 04, 2017, 02:24:38 PM »

Ahh so you have six months, thinking of renewing? I'm due to sign my contract on Friday and it's scary.

I see people go on about they're going to do XYZ when they get back or go into ABC job and I feel like I'm just starting out and don't know what road to go down.

My degree subject is okay but my result was underwhelming. I don't really have the money to go back to uni and I don't really know what I would do if i did.

I understand people my age don't really have it all figured out yet...but the difference between me and my friends back home is they are figuring it out, and gaining that experience, but I'm here with no idea what to do.

FFFMMMMLLLLLLLLL

Well I am 40, and I still have no idea. So don't put too much pressure on yourself. But yeah , you have to sign right now so.. I don't even have any real advice for you other than maybe stay another year for the money....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:28:20 PM by What?What? »
-A.A. Milne

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6350 on: July 04, 2017, 02:25:58 PM »

I feel like I struggle with this every few years.  I'm gonna try to do one more year here to save up and then bounce back home and do who knows what. 

BTW, so glad you are taking your pets with you instead of abandoning them!

Brought them here from back home when I moved actually. So I am not going anywhere without them.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6351 on: July 04, 2017, 02:36:28 PM »

FFFMMMMLLLLLLLLL

Pennypie, I think that England at the moment would be a difficult place to get back into right now, both mentally and jobwise.  I love going back home twice a year for holidays, but that kind of 'everyone's moved on' feeling is not always what you'd expect.  People have just got older and are doing older people's things, like have kids and buy houses.  Which is tempting to get a house because for some unknown reason my guilty temptation is watching 'Homes under the Hammer' and there are loads of them on youtube.   :-[  But anyway, I used to have that pre-contract signing dread and then the post-signing happiness as all bonuses and money gets paid.  ;D An extra year with saving and travelling around here and then heading back when the dust has settled makes more sense.  I'm looking at moving back to Europe in a few years, not England.  I just like the foreigner's lifestyle and am sure I can get that somewhere other than England.  Again depending on Brexit agreements, it'll be interesting.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6352 on: July 04, 2017, 02:38:38 PM »
I definitely sympathize with the "wtf should I do with myself" crowd. Every year I go through the same old should I stay or should I go nonsense, and... well, this is my sixth year here  :laugh:. Sometimes I'll go months feeling like there's no possible way I could tolerate it here for another year, but then once my contract start to draw to an end, I inevitably start thinking "Well what else are you going to do with yourself?"

My degree is pretty useless, and I have neither the financial means nor the motivation to go back to school at 36. I'm not qualified to teach back home, so if I leave Korea, it'd just be to go teach in another country that doesn't require a degree in English or education to teach English. I'm always going back and forth in my head about moving to Japan to teach, but then I always convince myself that I'll just have many of the same difficulties there that I have here, and opt for thee Devil I know, as it were.

I don't know. I wish I didn't have to stop drinking.  :laugh:

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6353 on: July 04, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »

FFFMMMMLLLLLLLLL

Well I am 40, and I still have no idea. So don't put too much pressure on yourself. But yeah , you have to sign right now so.. I don't even have any real advice for you other than maybe stay another year for the money....

I've never been able to answer the what do you want to be when you grow up? question before, and still didn't have much of an idea until fairly recently, but I've just signed up for some online nursing prerequisite courses (www.portagelearning.com) with the hope of getting into an accelerated BSN program back 'home' (or possibly here...SNU?), gaining some experience as a registered nurse, and then perhaps going on to becoming a nurse practitioner if all goes well. I would bet a lot of the good teachers here in Korea who know they don't want to do this for any longer than they have to are probably empathic people and might excel in the nursing field. And nurses are in short supply these days.  Especially male ones.

Good luck~~

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6354 on: July 04, 2017, 04:46:14 PM »

FFFMMMMLLLLLLLLL

As another soon to be 40 year old, I have no idea either but life has been pretty awesome trying to figure it out though (as a very quick summary, I think I've lived in 7 countries doing various things trying to figure it out).  I think the key is finding what makes you happy and putting yourself in a position to do that.  I don't mind teaching, but I really like living abroad and found that teaching allows for a great deal of movement.  As for the grown up stuff everyone else seems to be doing, you still pay bills right, make daily commutes, worry about this and that?  Congratulations, you're doing what they're doing only you probably don't have the added worry of car and house payments and the insurance that goes with them, at least that's the way I look at it.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6355 on: July 04, 2017, 06:35:56 PM »
Thanks guys, you actually made me feel better.  :-*

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6356 on: July 05, 2017, 07:21:45 AM »

FFFMMMMLLLLLLLLL

Pennypie, I think that England at the moment would be a difficult place to get back into right now, both mentally and jobwise.  I love going back home twice a year for holidays, but that kind of 'everyone's moved on' feeling is not always what you'd expect.  People have just got older and are doing older people's things, like have kids and buy houses.  Which is tempting to get a house because for some unknown reason my guilty temptation is watching 'Homes under the Hammer' and there are loads of them on youtube.   :-[  But anyway, I used to have that pre-contract signing dread and then the post-signing happiness as all bonuses and money gets paid.  ;D An extra year with saving and travelling around here and then heading back when the dust has settled makes more sense.  I'm looking at moving back to Europe in a few years, not England.  I just like the foreigner's lifestyle and am sure I can get that somewhere other than England.  Again depending on Brexit agreements, it'll be interesting.

You're totally right Dave. When I look at the situation back home, economically and politically I am pretty glad I'm out of it.

I think the whole buying a house thing is drilled into us. It's like the measure of being an adult, but it isn't really true anymore. Funny you mentioned homes under the hammer....I've been looking into things like that myself, buying a shitty house, investing in it, selling it on or letting it out.
 Looks too simple on TV though  :laugh: Although the way things are going there might be a crash so who knows, I might be able to pick up something cheap.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6357 on: July 05, 2017, 07:57:18 AM »
I think the whole buying a house thing is drilled into us. It's like the measure of being an adult, but it isn't really true anymore. Funny you mentioned homes under the hammer....I've been looking into things like that myself, buying a shitty house, investing in it, selling it on or letting it out.
 Looks too simple on TV though  :laugh: Although the way things are going there might be a crash so who knows, I might be able to pick up something cheap.
We pounced on a couple of properties when the market fell out.

It was one of the best decisions we could have made at the time, apart from buying AMZN and AAPL.

We have been fortunate in that we haven't had a single month of vacancy, super low turnover in tenants, and have continued to raise rents, which generate the same amount of income as my current post.

That said, if it weren't for family in the area to look in on things, you'd need to find a great management company if you ever took the leap.

We'd obviously like to acquire another, but there is another bubble at the moment in our area, as prices are higher than 2008.

I would wait for the other shoe to drop before buying, if I were you.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6358 on: July 05, 2017, 08:52:01 AM »
I hate how my CTs this year often make class go over into the break time. Even if we are just playing a game they will keep it going like 5-7 minutes into break and I'll barely have enough time to take a piss. Why??

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6359 on: July 05, 2017, 08:58:21 AM »
I hate how my CTs this year often make class go over into the break time. Even if we are just playing a game they will keep it going like 5-7 minutes into break and I'll barely have enough time to take a piss. Why??

OMG YES.

This seems to happen more when I have a class after that class and need to gather different materials. I'm all about leaving exactly on time.