November 19, 2017, 02:52:28 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564309 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6280 on: July 03, 2017, 07:49:47 AM »
Exams next week, and I only have one week of classes after that before summer vacation.

Was just informed by a coT that she expects me to cram a lesson from the book for my 3rd graders in that week before summer vacation, a lesson that will not be making it into the following semester. And these are for classes that she is NOT in charge of. When she saw that I was about to argue with her on that, she made the claim that this was upon request of the teacher who IS in charge of those classes.

And I know that's a lie, lmao.

In the end I decided to just SNIP.

But I really don't get how people can lie about things that are easily checked out. And also, why the **** would you try to throw your weight into an area where it not only doesn't belong but for something that is absolutely pointless? **** that noise, these kids are getting a movie or a game.

I'm in the same boat. Hilariously, the chapter is "At the Movies" but come on can we please have a LITTLE fun?

Offline wanderlust8

• Adventurer
« Reply #6281 on: July 03, 2017, 08:08:13 AM »

So what the hell do I do now? The two friendship circles with Sam R have been converging closer and closer for months. Do I just suck it up and participate? Do I go home at 9pm when 3차 rolls around? Because I can't rule the roost with the one friend group and tell them, "If you're my friend you won't go out with Sam R. He can go and you have to stay with me." I'm not a fukking psychopath.

I loved the emoticons to show who was talking.
I am so sorry about what happened to you. It's hard enough moving to a new country but doing that just to be with someone and then having them leave you? That makes it way worse. But props to you for sticking it out. You've stayed for 4 years so there must be something about Korea that you like.
Now... I'm going to give you some tough advice.
I know it's difficult seeing her and I know you'd rather do anything else than to talk to her or be around her. But it's been 4 years. I'm not saying you should be friends with her again. I'm not even saying you should talk to her again. I totally get why you wouldn't want to. However, you can't avoid her forever. Especially now that all of your friend groups are coming together. I personally think you should continue going out with your friends and participating even if she is there too. It's going to be hard the first couple of times but I'm sure it will get easier as time goes by. If she tries to get close to you again and you aren't ok with that then let her know. Tell her you're there to be with your friends but that you're not there for her. But like I said. It's been 4 years. Maybe it's time to let yourself heal and move on.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6282 on: July 03, 2017, 08:11:41 AM »
yay humidity!  :blank:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6283 on: July 03, 2017, 08:17:31 AM »
Sunday afternoon on the way home I'm driving along. Waiting at a red light, this little old Matiz pulls into the empty left turn lane, turns on their hazards and drives right through the red. Nothing new, no biggie.

Our light turns green and we catch up to them almost immediately because they're really in no rush. Come to another red light. Little old Matiz goes to the empty far right lane, turns on their hazards and casually drives through the red.

The last I saw of them, they were off in the distance driving through the next red light which would be green if they'd waited at the previous red.

Presumably this person just casually drives through reds whenever they drive anywhere. Mind boggling.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6284 on: July 03, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »

Right, since last Thursday, it has that walk outside and sweatsville starts, kind of feel.  Cue damp pillows in the early morning.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6285 on: July 03, 2017, 08:37:33 AM »
Sunday afternoon on the way home I'm driving along. Waiting at a red light, this little old Matiz pulls into the empty left turn lane, turns on their hazards and drives right through the red. Nothing new, no biggie.

Our light turns green and we catch up to them almost immediately because they're really in no rush. Come to another red light. Little old Matiz goes to the empty far right lane, turns on their hazards and casually drives through the red.

The last I saw of them, they were off in the distance driving through the next red light which would be green if they'd waited at the previous red.

Presumably this person just casually drives through reds whenever they drive anywhere. Mind boggling.

I have a similar thing in the morning.  There is a set of lights that has a junction with a big apartment complex, then further down the road it meets a big three lane road which also has lights.  I'd say out of 10 people, 4 will just drive straight through the first red light and then wait at the second light.  The thing is if you wait at the first light, then drive at a normal speed, you still have to wait 10 seconds for the second lights to become green.  By then you are waiting with the people who were too busy to wait at the first set.  Fukcing stupid.  I've written mails to the city office to get cameras put on the first lights because I've seen people fly through on a red when people are legitimately crossing. 

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6286 on: July 03, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »

Right, since last Thursday, it has that walk outside and sweatsville starts, kind of feel.  Cue damp pillows in the early morning.

My school is like a rainforest in the hallways  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6287 on: July 03, 2017, 11:45:30 AM »
1. I get SO ANGRY when I see cars blasting through red lights ON SCHOOL DAYS IN A SCHOOL ZONE WITH CHILDREN ALL AROUND WALKING TO SCHOOL. How much of a self-absorbed mindless asshole do you have to be to do that?? It's not some rare thing either, it happens maybe 3 or 4 mornings out of 5. I wish the police would do their jobs and pull these people over, but anytime I see a cop at an intersection he's standing OUTSIDE of his car just watching people disobey the law. What is the point? One time the cop had a camera and was videotaping people's dangerous driving. They don't have cameras on their traffic lights here? It's not India or anything, but do people here realize they drive like complete fools?

2. I know this guy who likes to hang around with my group of non-Korean people. He's alright, but every time he meets a new foreigner he has to ask them what they find uncomfortable or bad about Korea. I don't know why he does this, because without fail he reacts awkwardly and defensively to every benign comment someone makes. No decent person is going to list the things they actually don't like about that culture to someone from that culture. No one is gonna be like "well, I think it's gross that y'all don't wash your hands after you shit and you eat like cows sometimes" but eventually people say things like "I'm not a fan of the food" or "it's uncomfortable in busy places when people don't say excuse me" and he always argues it! I mean, why ASK if you don't want to know the answer? What is this weird obsession with trying to figure out what people don't like about you? And does he really think anyone is going to give him their real opinion? It's slightly masochistic. Maybe I should link him to this thread  :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #6288 on: July 03, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »
Now... I'm going to give you some tough advice.
I know it's difficult seeing her and I know you'd rather do anything else than to talk to her or be around her. But it's been 4 years. I'm not saying you should be friends with her again. I'm not even saying you should talk to her again. I totally get why you wouldn't want to. However, you can't avoid her forever. Especially now that all of your friend groups are coming together. I personally think you should continue going out with your friends and participating even if she is there too. It's going to be hard the first couple of times but I'm sure it will get easier as time goes by. If she tries to get close to you again and you aren't ok with that then let her know. Tell her you're there to be with your friends but that you're not there for her. But like I said. It's been 4 years. Maybe it's time to let yourself heal and move on.

I  know it's been a long time. It's just that I think about her all the time. I think, "Holy shit, I'm in Korea!" and that's a good thing, but it always comes back to WHY I came here. I don't hate her, the hate is long gone. But just seeing her. She's gorgeous and she's really, really well-liked by anyone who meets her.

I emailed her this morning and just told her we needed to sort this out. I can't be a puppy in the rain looking into the bar, hahaha. I don't like letting things fester. Just bloody deal with it!  :laugh:

We'll see. I was an asshole on Saturday because I wanted to make her feel like shit. It's petty, I know. When I sobered up, I realised that I am actually curious about how she's doing too.

Offline wanderingskald

• Adventurer
« Reply #6289 on: July 03, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »
1. I get SO ANGRY when I see cars blasting through red lights ON SCHOOL DAYS IN A SCHOOL ZONE WITH CHILDREN ALL AROUND WALKING TO SCHOOL. How much of a self-absorbed mindless asshole do you have to be to do that?? It's not some rare thing either, it happens maybe 3 or 4 mornings out of 5. I wish the police would do their jobs and pull these people over, but anytime I see a cop at an intersection he's standing OUTSIDE of his car just watching people disobey the law. What is the point? One time the cop had a camera and was videotaping people's dangerous driving. They don't have cameras on their traffic lights here? It's not India or anything, but do people here realize they drive like complete fools?

Oh my God.  This.  A thousand times this.  I've seen PARENTS dropping their kids off by a school...  by running a red light in a car while the other students are crossing the street.  "MY KID IS PROTECTED BY A HYUNDAI, YOURS ISN'T, MUWAHAHA!" Unbelievable.

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6290 on: July 03, 2017, 12:28:53 PM »
Was absolutely fuming in the cafeteria today.

I'm of the belief that kids need to learn to stand up to bullies, it's a massive opportunity for personal growth... However, there are times when intervention is necessary.

- About 4m from the teacher's table was a small class (probably 8 students) of what looked like 3rd or 4th graders (elem). The teacher was sitting at the same table, just two chairs from the boys in question.
One of the boys was repeatedly slapping the other boy on the cheeks... hard slaps. I could hear them, 4m away and in a noisy ass cafeteria. The boy being slapped feigned laughter and kept trying to get food to his mouth but the slapping made it impossible. The other boy then began doing closed-fist prodding punches. I could see the HR teacher trying her best not to make eye contact and simply ignore what was happening. One of the lunch ladies walked past the table, stopped to watch the boy get punched for a few seconds then walked off without saying anything. I had to get up and stop the ordeal. While and after reprimanding the bully, the HR teacher intentionally avoided eye contact from the situation and myself, despite sitting two chairs away, in plain view.

- I taught some 5th graders last week and there's one boy who's excessively perky, energetic and admittedly on the slow side. I try my best to give him opportunities to answer easy questions to boost his confidence, no mean feat since he likes answering every question with whatever random thought comes to mind. The other students always end up laughing or insulting him raucously whenever he gets something wrong.
At the end of class, I went to the loo to find him cowering in the corner, next to the urinal, while 5 other boys kept splashing him with water.

Initially I directed my anger at the Korean teachers. I'm always hearing how they're constantly having meetings, watching videos and attending workshops on bullying and child abuse. Yet, they're so pathetically useless when it comes to noticing and dealing with it.
Most seem to think that if the victim is feigning a smile or laugh while 5 other students take turns slapping them, it's just a joke.
However, I'm sure that many teachers fear the backlash of the parents as their little brats are incapable of doing anything wrong, thanks to their shitty parenting.

I really detest blaming culture, but this has to be the exception. At this point in time, Korean culture
really is in a sorry as state.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6291 on: July 03, 2017, 12:53:06 PM »
I would really like it very much if my high school boys would stop sexually assaulting the high school girls every F** day.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6292 on: July 03, 2017, 01:04:30 PM »
I would really like it very much if my high school boys would stop sexually assaulting the high school girls every F** day.

Round my way, it is the middle school girls who are harrassing the high school boys.  The high school boys were talking to the middle school girls last week during break (as the schools are next to each other).

:-* We're hungry

:rolleyes: What would you like to eat?

:-* Boys

:shocked:

I know a lot of teachers at that middle school and they say the girls are horrendous for this kind of thing. 

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6293 on: July 03, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »

I'm always hearing how [teachers here are] constantly having meetings, watching videos and attending workshops on bullying and child abuse. Yet, they're so ... useless when it comes to noticing and dealing with it.
Most seem to think that if the victim is feigning a smile or laugh while 5 other students take turns slapping them, it's just a joke.

This is a very real and serious problem. A lot of the time you're right, especially re: subject teachers. Really have no idea how to mitigate or reduce bullying. And so often here (and I guess in other places, but I have no first hand experience in other places) victims of bullying will just smile and laugh along with it rather than resist or show that it's upsetting them. The mentality is that the victim is still part of the group in some way if they're laughing with the others, despite being the target of the abuse.

That said, there are a lot of Korean teachers who are caring, compassionate and intelligent who do do a very good job trying to reduce bullying in their classrooms and schools. But there are also just as many completely apathetic / ineffectual ones.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6294 on: July 03, 2017, 01:20:03 PM »
Yeah, it's the bullying that really bothers me the most about the way the schools are run here, tbh. Even now when I point out bullying to some of the teachers here, they tell me that the students are just "playing." They're either unable or unwilling to recognize cases of bullying as they're happening. You can always tell by the body language of the target, even if they're laughing or smiling about it, and it's not likely just "play" if it's one kid against three or more and the intended target isn't really defending himself in any way.

I just put an end to it under the guise of not liking "horseplay" so that the intended target doesn't suffer ramifications from my interference later, but good god.

I find male bullying much easier to spot and to deal with. Girls are sneakier about it.

2. I know this guy who likes to hang around with my group of non-Korean people. He's alright, but every time he meets a new foreigner he has to ask them what they find uncomfortable or bad about Korea. I don't know why he does this, because without fail he reacts awkwardly and defensively to every benign comment someone makes. No decent person is going to list the things they actually don't like about that culture to someone from that culture. No one is gonna be like "well, I think it's gross that y'all don't wash your hands after you shit and you eat like cows sometimes" but eventually people say things like "I'm not a fan of the food" or "it's uncomfortable in busy places when people don't say excuse me" and he always argues it! I mean, why ASK if you don't want to know the answer? What is this weird obsession with trying to figure out what people don't like about you? And does he really think anyone is going to give him their real opinion? It's slightly masochistic. Maybe I should link him to this thread  :laugh:

This, right here. They either always ask about what we don't like about Korean culture, or they're always digging for praise about Korean culture. The ones who ask, either way, can never accept another person's opinion if it's not all wonder and delight.

Connecting with what I commented on before, I remember this one guy kept digging and digging and digging for praises in a really roundabout way. He's always asking for feedback about how we "really" feel about Korea and the culture and whatever, but he's only ever fishing for compliments. He does this EVERYTIME there's a meet between him and foreigners, no matter how many times we've met and been asked the same goddamn questions each time. One night I wasn't having it, and I actually told him that I really hate the bullying culture here, and found the "wang-ta" phenomenon especially disturbing (I actually had a wang-ta at the school I was then assigned to at the time, so it was especially real to me then). He got super defensive and went on to claim that Korean 정 isn't matched anywhere else in the world, and wouldn't address the bullying problem at all. I kind of needled him some more by asking him why it was that the suicide rate in Korea was so damn high when compared to the rest of the world, if what he was said was so true, and that got him sputtering mad.

Yeah, I shouldn't have done it. But he hasn't spoken to me since, and I couldn't be happier.

I do enjoy Korea and all, but no culture is perfect, and each one has its major faults to deal with. You can't expect people to just fall in line with your blind patriotism, especially when they're not from there. C'mon.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 01:31:55 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6295 on: July 03, 2017, 01:23:03 PM »
However, I'm sure that many teachers fear the backlash of the parents..

Hit the nail on the head. Korean law does not take kindly to any kind of intervention when it comes to violence. You see two kids beating the snot out of each other? Pass the buck. Do not try and break it up unless you want to end up out a couple million won blood money to some parent who thinks you're responsible.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6296 on: July 03, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »

why should he be friends with her? she sounds like a complete bitch. gave him an ultimatum about getting a job quickly in korea after he almost died from massive brain trauma.

then dumped him unceremoniously at the airport after he packed up his entire life and came here. for her.

wouldn't be surprised if she was banging someone on the side while she was waiting for him to get here. probably explains the dumping actually.

now she's banging one of his friends.

yeah no. **** that. i wouldn't be friends with someone like that.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #6297 on: July 03, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »
why should he be friends with her? she sounds like a complete bitch. gave him an ultimatum about getting a job quickly in korea after he almost died from massive brain trauma.

then dumped him unceremoniously at the airport after he packed up his entire life and came here. for her.

wouldn't be surprised if she was banging someone on the side while she was waiting for him to get here. probably explains the dumping actually.

now she's banging one of his friends.

yeah no. **** that. i wouldn't be friends with someone like that.

A) To be fair, I could have come sooner. The brain surgery wasn't actually as bad as the broken collarbone I got. This isn't to defend her per se, but I do bear some of the responsibility for not coming sooner. Doesn't make breaking the ultimatum okay though.

B) Nope. Not my friend. She's got a BF who's teaching in Japan at the moment. How do I know this? Well, I'm fairly bright, even after brain surgery.  :wink:

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6298 on: July 03, 2017, 01:31:28 PM »
Wow. That's a whole lot of bitter.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6299 on: July 03, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »
@ Waygook.org user CO2 - my advice?

Just be chill. There's literally no reason you can't be civil to her. You seem like kind of an emotional guy, which is cool, but always good to be able to keep your feelings under control for practical purposes.

Yeah she kind of boned you with the whole breaking up with you after you moved here, but that was like, four years ago? And you were both (I'm assuming) in your early 20s when that happens, which is when lots of people do lots of unfortunate things, despite being at heart generally decent humans.

So like, I empathize with the fact that you still have feelings complicated feelings towards her, but I mean, you're both older and smarter and ideally slightly new and improved versions of yourselves compared to when you were dating, so just get on with it and don't make such a big deal about it. You don't have to be friends if you don't want to or anything, but like, it shouldn't make social gatherings awkward.