September 25, 2017, 06:57:50 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 490410 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6280 on: June 21, 2017, 12:30:21 PM »
The left earpiece of my Beats earphones stopped working. I haven't even had them for a full year.

Meanwhile, the Marley earphones I purchased 2.5 years ago are still going strong.

Never. Again.

I, too, was tricked into buying Beats years ago. They suuuuuuuck. Same thing happened to mine - earbud just stopped working after maybe 8 months.

So ****** mad right now. xD

Tbf, I've kind of had the same experience with any earphones that has those small controls built into the wire -- I'm thinking there's some structural weaknesses that go along with that added "benefit" that makes it more likely for the wires inside to become frayed or disconnected.

But you'd think that wouldn't be a problem for earphones that cost 5x as much. Fk'in hell. I'm buying some Xiaomi earphones next. Someone told me that their sound is pretty good and that they're generally really durable.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6281 on: June 21, 2017, 01:04:05 PM »
Audio-Technica recently got into the headphone game, and their mid-range stuff seems pretty decent.

I used Sennheisers for a while, but after repeatedly losing all of the rubber tips, I decided to go with something less costly. After trying some cheaper options that sounded genuinely terrible, I found a pair of Audio-Technicas at HiMart for like 30K KRW, and they sound... pretty good. Not as good as the more expensive stuff I was using before, but definitely better than anything I've tried in that price range or cheaper.

I do still have a fancy schmancy pair of Sennheiser over-ears to use at home, but I it's gotta be earbuds when I'm out and about.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6282 on: June 21, 2017, 01:23:06 PM »
Audio-Technica recently got into the headphone game, and their mid-range stuff seems pretty decent.

I used Sennheisers for a while, but after repeatedly losing all of the rubber tips, I decided to go with something less costly. After trying some cheaper options that sounded genuinely terrible, I found a pair of Audio-Technicas at HiMart for like 30K KRW, and they sound... pretty good. Not as good as the more expensive stuff I was using before, but definitely better than anything I've tried in that price range or cheaper.

I do still have a fancy schmancy pair of Sennheiser over-ears to use at home, but I it's gotta be earbuds when I'm out and about.

Out of necessity, I bought a pair of bluetooth Manhattans (never heard of them before) at Heathrow for maybe $40? Not top of the line by any stretch but I adore them and have been using them constantly for going on two years now.

But once again, Beats suck and have a shady history to boot.

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #6283 on: June 21, 2017, 01:48:29 PM »
Speaking tests.

What's with the hatred of speaking tests? Hassle of making them? Hassle of administering them? The supposed futiliy of the whole thing?

I don't mind them at all

Having to administer them to too many students in a very short period of time, which results in monotony and a deterioration of my soul.

It's boring and tedious, and, ultimately, a pointless exercise in memorization and not on actual conversation. I get the rare 2-3 students per semester who make it interesting.

Everything you say i agree with 100% Chinguetti. I am on my second week of doing them and i want to shove my head in wood chipper. I especially like the ones who come in the day before their class asking for a study guide.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6284 on: June 21, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »
Having to administer [speaking tests] to too many students in a very short period of time... results in monotony and a deterioration of my soul.

It's boring and tedious, and, ultimately, a pointless exercise in memorization and not on actual conversation. I get the rare 2-3 students per semester who make it interesting.

Everything you say i agree with 100% Chinguetti. I am on my second week of doing them and i want to shove my head in wood chipper. I especially like the ones who come in the day before their class asking for a study guide.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6285 on: June 21, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »
Beats are literally garbage. I feel sorry for you.

Bluetooth headphones are also literally garbage, unless you don't mind listening to flat, compressed music. Then, go ahead.

I can vouch for Sennheiser and AKG headphones. Also, Yamaha makes stellar earbuds, but they're a bit expensive for the EPH-100s.

Earbuds don't stay in my ears well, so I usually have to wear big cans when I'm out and about, even though it makes me look like an idiot. Oh well. Can't win 'em all.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6286 on: June 21, 2017, 04:16:44 PM »
Students:"What?What? Teacher can we do our stop motion here?"
Me: "Yes, of course."
Korean teacher: "Do you know stop motion? How do you know stop motion?"
Me: "because I have an IQ above 10"

Why? How, would I not know what stop motion is? 
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6287 on: June 21, 2017, 04:25:45 PM »

Perhaps it is uniquely Korean; much like four seasons and a mother's love for her children.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6288 on: June 21, 2017, 04:31:37 PM »

Perhaps it is uniquely Korean; much like four seasons and a mother's love for her children.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Yeah I guess you have a point.
-A.A. Milne

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6289 on: June 21, 2017, 04:59:32 PM »

lol some of the things here that warrant surprise are amazing -- like when I answer to 선생님 and everyone is like OHHHHHHHHH

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6290 on: June 21, 2017, 05:20:51 PM »

lol some of the things here that warrant surprise are amazing -- like when I answer to 선생님 and everyone is like OHHHHHHHHH

omg, I showed a stop motion video in class, and my kids understood it but my teacher just couldn't fathom it.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #6291 on: June 21, 2017, 05:35:38 PM »
Every month I am forced to change my school computer password because of the powers that be and ahnlab. Every month I change it back to the same password right after.

Protip: You can enter the same password in the new password box and it will count as being changed.

Security!

Good to know. I will do that for my next one.

added:

Our school passwords are all on one public, very public excel file. I'm thinking of changing it to some hyper-national thing, but misspelled.

ddeokdo is korea !Z or something along those lines
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:43:32 PM by grey »
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6292 on: June 21, 2017, 05:48:45 PM »

omg, I showed a stop motion video in class, and my kids understood it but my teacher just couldn't fathom it.

When kids ask me if I know 'Overwatch' and 'League of Legends'. Their head nearly explodes after I affirm. "Teacher, how do you know?"

You little sh*t, I could easily name over 100 video games on console and PC as I was already gaming for a decade when your forebears spawned your puerile person into this world.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6293 on: June 21, 2017, 06:07:24 PM »

When kids ask me if I know 'Overwatch' and 'League of Legends'. Their head nearly explodes after I affirm. "Teacher, how do you know?"

You little sh*t, I could easily name over 100 video games on console and PC as I was already gaming for a decade when your forebears spawned your puerile person into this world.
I easily HAVE over 100 games and I could start namedropping them. They think they're gamers. They merely adopted gaming. I was born into gaming!

Them kids don't even know Final Fantasy. Shame on them.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6294 on: June 21, 2017, 06:21:54 PM »

I easily HAVE over 100 games and I could start namedropping them. They think they're gamers. They merely adopted gaming. I was born into gaming!

Hahahahaha, yes! Exactly this!
-A.A. Milne

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6295 on: June 21, 2017, 07:33:53 PM »

Hahahahaha, yes! Exactly this!

My son is 3 months old. He's already got Minecraft down.

Tears up*

I'm so proud.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #6296 on: June 22, 2017, 10:30:12 AM »

Funny story. I was talking to one of my advanced students about games because he was surprised I like them. So I said my favorite is The Legend of Zelda. He didn't know what it was. I asked if he knew Final Fantasy. His response...

"I only know famous Korean games."

My response...

"Oh... Overwatch is Korean? Blizzard is a Korean company? League of Legends was made by a Korean game company, too?"

His "foot in mouth" expression was great  :laugh:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6297 on: June 22, 2017, 10:49:03 AM »

Funny story. I was talking to one of my advanced students about games because he was surprised I like them. So I said my favorite is The Legend of Zelda. He didn't know what it was. I asked if he knew Final Fantasy. His response...

"I only know famous Korean games."

My response...

"Oh... Overwatch is Korean? Blizzard is a Korean company? League of Legends was made by a Korean game company, too?"

His "foot in mouth" expression was great  :laugh:

I'm sure he probably meant to say "I only know games famous in Korea," but good for you! You sure showed him!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6298 on: June 22, 2017, 11:01:52 AM »
Today the bus just didn't show up. Found out one is supposed to come an hour later than the first one usually does. My travel school was amenable to shuffling classes around so I wouldn't have to grab a taxi (cash only where I live and stupidly I only had enough cash for the bus on me) but I'm still annoyed at the bus and how my whole day feels thrown off kilter now.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6299 on: June 22, 2017, 11:15:48 AM »
Is there a BLOCK function on waygook? If not there should be.
-A.A. Milne

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment