November 19, 2017, 01:37:02 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563758 times)

Offline jffjp

• Adventurer
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6180 on: June 27, 2017, 07:53:57 AM »
So tired of everything here. Every little thing raises my blood pressure. One more semester.

That's the spirit! Leaving here for good in 20 days. People say "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence", in this case it's not only the grass that's greener, but nicer skies, more friendly folk that don't gawk at you rudely, and less miscommunication mishaps!

I wake up happy every morning knowing I'm leaving this God forsaken job. I've actually already given up, I teach for about 10 min then ask the kids what games they want to play - half the time they aren't even English games haha.

Better yet - the administration doesn't care at all. Talk about how much of a joke this job is...

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #6181 on: June 27, 2017, 07:55:47 AM »
So tired of everything here. Every little thing raises my blood pressure. One more semester.

I hear that. We live on the same street.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #6182 on: June 27, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »

I hear that. We live on the same street.

When i say semester, it's only in theory. I have not told anyone, but i'm cutting my contract short. Done in mid December. No need to extend the agony past finals. Sometimes i invision myself packing up all my shit in boxes and taking them to the post office to be shipped home. I can't wait for that day.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6183 on: June 27, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »
We have a lovely passive-aggressive next door neighbor.

Every morning he goes out and sweeps outside along the street side perimeter of his house and leaves the pile of garbage right outside the gate to our house.

None of the garbage is ours, mind you, but for some reason or another he gets a kick out of doing that to us.

One of these days, I am going to force myself to eat a bunch of corn (I know how Koreans love corn) and drop a deuce right outside his gate. ;)

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6184 on: June 27, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »
That reminds me, I'm actually in a kind of feud with my current neighbor. Whenever we get an advert or booklet put on our doors, my neighbor will stick whatever's on his door onto MY door instead of taking it in and throwing it away like most normal folks do.

So I stick it right back on his door. It normally goes back and forth a few times before he caves in and stops trying to force his trash on me.

In our latest spat, though, he decided to throw the advert onto the floor right in front of my door. I kicked it back over to his side. He kicked it back yesterday, so I taped it down in front of his door last night. I'm giddy with excitement to see how he'll choose to respond to that.

@basedcowboy: My guesses were pretty much in line with everyone else's. xD

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6185 on: June 27, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
I just got retroactively annoyed, remembering back to one of my old schools, where I had my own room.

It was pretty nice, but a couple times my CT would confront me saying "the principal walked by your room this afternoon, you weren't there."

I'd just say "oh, I was in the bathroom probably." Which is 100% true. I've never skipped out early on a job.

"Oh, yeah, he sent me a message saying he went to your room and you weren't there."

"Okay, did he need something?"

"No, didn't need anything. You weren't there so he messaged me..."

... and that was it! It was like I was getting chastised for taking a piss. I spent the majority of my life sitting in that damn room in front of the computer that year, it's not my fault my bladder's timing sucked! What was the point of all this ?! Next time, I will soil my pants and the chair just in case the principal decides to leave his room for once and check on me for no reason.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6186 on: June 27, 2017, 11:50:42 AM »
Kyndo, you got 6/8.

You were wrong on 5 and 7.

5 is piggydee, no? "Suh lay kee bo tong"?  :laugh:

I feel like 7 fits more than 1 user so Idk.

Right on 5.
Aaaaaand

5 piggydee

7 Kim Duhan

Nailed it.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6187 on: June 27, 2017, 11:53:11 AM »
That reminds me, I'm actually in a kind of feud with my current neighbor. Whenever we get an advert or booklet put on our doors, my neighbor will stick whatever's on his door onto MY door instead of taking it in and throwing it away like most normal folks do.

So I stick it right back on his door. It normally goes back and forth a few times before he caves in and stops trying to force his trash on me.

In our latest spat, though, he decided to throw the advert onto the floor right in front of my door. I kicked it back over to his side. He kicked it back yesterday, so I taped it down in front of his door last night. I'm giddy with excitement to see how he'll choose to respond to that.

Is this real life?

This is hilarious.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6188 on: June 27, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
During the last few minutes of my last class today, after the kiddos were all set to go in a second round of a game that requires minimal supervision, I checked my phone.

CoT beelines over and tells me not to use my phone during class except for emergencies.

I fought the urge to reply, "You must have many emergencies during EVERY class!"  :rolleyes:

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6189 on: June 27, 2017, 12:03:43 PM »
During the last few minutes of my last class today, after the kiddos were all set to go in a second round of a game that requires minimal supervision, I checked my phone.

CoT beelines over and tells me not to use my phone during class except for emergencies.

I fought the urge to reply, "You must have many emergencies during EVERY class!"  :rolleyes:

Ugh. Again, I think some people complain too much about how unfair and hard everything is and how nobody respects expats, blah blah blah.

BUT! Seeing Waygook.org user sevenpm's and your post just now really reminded me how much the double standard of pickiness bothers me when it comes to native teachers vs Koreans.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6190 on: June 27, 2017, 12:06:57 PM »

Let us know how it goes!! I had a neighbor that did the same thing. I would usually just take them inside and throw them away. After a while (Like a couple of months), I decided that I wasn't going to do it any longer, so I put it back on his/her/their door. Needless to say, it came back, and was stuck to mine the following morning/day. So, when I got home from work the next day, I collected all of the papers sticking out of the mail boxes, all of them on the ground outside, and all of them on my way up the stairs, and I taped them all to his/her/their door. They stayed on his door for like two days. On my way out of the door to go to work the next day, he opened his at the same time (we had never seen each other before). We both started out, and he met eyes with a large and not so kind looking foreigner, so he turned back inside as if he forgot something. Maybe he wasn't uncomfortable, but I do know that from that day, there were no extra papers on my door, nor his. Life was good ~~

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6191 on: June 27, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »

I've played flyer tag before, as well.

I don't know why they enjoyed doing it so much, but I was happy to play it ;)

Some neighbors have been terrible, but this guy with his sweeping is pretty funny.

I might accidentally hose him down when I water my plants one of these mornings.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6192 on: June 27, 2017, 03:37:13 PM »
This past weekend I discovered that ALL of my clothes pins from the laundry line by my house are missing.  Over a year and no problems, then suddenly they've all up and vanished into thin air.  I am the only one who uses this laundry line.  Everyone else has their own. 

I had enough hangers to hang dry my launders in the sun but honestly, who steals clothes pins??  I really didn't think I'd have to keep clothes pins inside under lock and key  :undecided:

Offline tadpole511

• Adventurer
« Reply #6193 on: June 27, 2017, 08:13:15 PM »
Typical coteacher drama. I swear this woman has some personal vendetta with me. I really just want to tell her that she's a grown-ass woman and she needs to act like it. Petty comments and snide remarks and blatant attempts to undermine me in front of the class are not the way to handle any perceived issues.

Any advice on how to handle vindictive, micromanaging, supremely unhelpful coteachers welcome.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #6194 on: June 27, 2017, 09:42:32 PM »
Typical coteacher drama. I swear this woman has some personal vendetta with me. I really just want to tell her that she's a grown-ass woman and she needs to act like it. Petty comments and snide remarks and blatant attempts to undermine me in front of the class are not the way to handle any perceived issues.

Any advice on how to handle vindictive, micromanaging, supremely unhelpful coteachers welcome.

A show of dominance.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6195 on: June 27, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »
What is it about some Koreans and their complete inability to understand anything less subtle than a piano falling down the stairs?

(The CT in questions' English is good enough to understand the meaning of every word I said)
(The school toilets are disgusting and my apartment is 2min walk from the school)

Me - We're done with class, I'm leaving early, I'm not feeling well?
CT - Really? What's wrong?
Me - I have a stomachache
CT - Why don't you lie down in the nurse's office?
Me - No, I have to go home now.
CT - Why don't you wait for the principal to leave, in an hour, then you can leave?
Me - I have a stomachache and I need to go home now! I can't wait an hour.
CT - The nurse's office has aircon, why don't you lie down there?
Me - (You dense mother******, if I don't leave now I'm going to **** my pants)

Same CT, on this day I'm busy adding up the scores for the 'speech contest'. I'm adding the points in the 4 scoring criterias to get a score out of 100, for 20 students. It's not challenging, just hard to do when someone is leering over our shoulder, talking and she's written down the most eligible corrections to my scores for me to re-calculate.

(I make a mistake with one of the numbers)

CT - Oh, you made a mistake, I'm also bad at math. We have to print out a new page and start over.
Me - This isn't maths, it's arithmetic, which is hard to do when someone is leaning over your shoulder, breathing in your ear and checking your calculations.
CT - oh, hahaha.
Me - ... It wasn't a joke.
CT - ..... Do you need a calculator?
Me - No, I need privacy.
CT - <leaves classroom to tell the students in the other room to settle down, comes back and leers>
Me - <sigh>... You are distracting me. Please leave me alone, I'll give it to you when I'm finished.

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6196 on: June 27, 2017, 10:38:48 PM »

If there was ever a time to be faultless and professional, this would be it. Dress sharp, stand up straight, keep your cool, speak eloquently and write down all the activities you'll be doing for your meticulously planned lesson.

If she wants to derail the lesson, her agenda will become obvious to even the dimmest student.

Your goal is not to actively embarrass her, with her maturity that's going to open up a massive can of worms. Your goal is to give her nothing to use against you, putting her in a
position to either cease hostilities or embarrass herself.

Alternatively, split the class time.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6197 on: June 28, 2017, 05:52:59 AM »
Hah, so this flyer thing isn't really a unique situation for me, is it? xD

Yeah, the flyer I taped down in front of his place is still there, but he's taken down another advert and tossed it on the floor in front of my door.

Seriously, the guy's an asshole. Maybe I should do what lifeisgood did. xD

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6198 on: June 28, 2017, 06:59:11 AM »
Hah, so this flyer thing isn't really a unique situation for me, is it? xD

Yeah, the flyer I taped down in front of his place is still there, but he's taken down another advert and tossed it on the floor in front of my door.

Seriously, the guy's an asshole. Maybe I should do what lifeisgood did. xD

This guy's behavior is just bizarre, but I guess not uncommon. Why would someone do this in the first place? I had a neighbor who one day decided that my porch was the perfect place for his bike. And this was not a large porch. We lived in one of those old neighborhoods where three or four houses are connected. I lived on the first floor and you would have to walk past the first house on a person's left, past the stairs to go up to the second level, and then my place. The end of the walkway was blocked off by one of the rooms of my house. On the right was a little storage area and then the wall of the next building. So my neighbor decides that my porch was going to be where his bike was going to go. He sticks it right in front of my door so that I can't even open it. At first I thought perhaps he stuck it there just for a minute, so I just moved it out of the way, but it kept happening. I had no idea which neighbor was actually doing it (I lived there for three years and I didn't meet anyone you lived in that building except for a kind old lady who left after about a year of me living there and then I never met the person who moved in), so I left a note asking him to stop. He continued to leave his bike in front of my door until I threw it out into the street. I don't know if anything on it broke, but he stopped leaving his bike in front of my door.

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #6199 on: June 28, 2017, 07:51:03 AM »
Oh my god. I'm gonna snap. It is a real pet peeve that people here have no regard for conserving energy. The aircon in our office is making the room nice and cool. Some bitch comes in, opens the door, turns on the fan, then proceeds to sit down and eat her stankin ass kimchi while the aircon is still running.