September 20, 2017, 12:39:53 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 481870 times)

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6140 on: June 12, 2017, 04:24:31 PM »
Also, Korea's literally not that cheap. Housing is relatively cheap, but in Seoul, at least, the price of a lot of food and alcohol is comparable to that in some North American cities.

I see a lot of disagreement here on Wayg about whether or not Korea is cheap, and I think your answer pretty well sums it all up: if you live in Seoul things can be relatively pricey. If you live outside of Seoul, things get a lot cheaper (a shopping bag full of fresh produce on market days for not even a 5 cheon-er! Whooo-hooo!)
    I live outside of the big city, and I find stuff is pretty darn cheap.  Of course, the bar I measure prices against would be Vancouver, which is one of the most expensive places on earth, so...  :undecided:

It can be cheap or expensive depending on your lifestyle. If you're eating at non-Korean restaurants multiple times a week, it adds up. public transportation and housing are a lot cheaper, but if you're dropping 50-70,000won a week on food in Itaewon, it adds up. Same with living outside of Seoul, but making the trip there a lot. Where I live in Jeonbuk it's 30,000won round trip (cheapest bus option) and at least 15-20,000won for a hostel for one night plus food and drinks. It adds up if you do that every month.

I feel like saying, "If you live X lifestyle, it's going to be expensive, but if you do Y, it's really cheap" is kind of misleading, though. Like, we're comparing Korea to other countries when we make these comparisons, usually, so a person who does most of his or her cooking at home, doesn't make many unnecessary purchases, and doesn't go out regularly should be compared to a person with a similar lifestyle in a foreign country, and a person who does go out a lot, etc should be compared to a similar lifestyled person.

Like, obviously it's cheaper to live as a person who does most of their cooking at home and isn't balling out on the regular. But we were (or at least I was) commenting how Seoul isn't really that much cheaper than a lot of western cities.

I feel like, aside from rent prices, if you're a person who likes to stay home and do most of your cooking at home, etc, then living in a western country would be moderately cheaper than living in Korea. That might be offset by cheap necessities like internet and cell phones here, though. But, if you're a person who likes to go out drinking a lot and eat at nice restaurants, I think Seoul is definitely cheaper than most western cities.

Yeah I agree, I was just meaning to say that Seoul is comparable to other western cities but outside of it is where it's cheaper. Like eating out in Seoul costs more than other cities here, and if you're travelling to Seoul then it adds up more. That being said, my city in Canada charges $3.75 for one way on the bus regardless on if you ride for 5 stops or 20. Korea's public transportation is a heck of a lot cheaper. Housing in the equivalent of Suwon for a one room is about $800. Utilities are also a lot more. My original post was to say it's generally cheaper here but if you want the comforts of home you'll end up spending more. Having to travel to find those comforts adds up too. If you're willing to deal with Korean food, you can live relatively cheap, but if you want to live off western foods, you're going to see a price difference because of import fees and lack of availability. I got on a tangent in the last post... And kind of in this one... I'm half awake, don't mind me o.o

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6141 on: June 12, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »
Also, Korea's literally not that cheap. Housing is relatively cheap, but in Seoul, at least, the price of a lot of food and alcohol is comparable to that in some North American cities.

I see a lot of disagreement here on Wayg about whether or not Korea is cheap, and I think your answer pretty well sums it all up: if you live in Seoul things can be relatively pricey. If you live outside of Seoul, things get a lot cheaper (a shopping bag full of fresh produce on market days for not even a 5 cheon-er! Whooo-hooo!)
    I live outside of the big city, and I find stuff is pretty darn cheap.  Of course, the bar I measure prices against would be Vancouver, which is one of the most expensive places on earth, so...  :undecided:

It can be cheap or expensive depending on your lifestyle. If you're eating at non-Korean restaurants multiple times a week, it adds up. public transportation and housing are a lot cheaper, but if you're dropping 50-70,000won a week on food in Itaewon, it adds up. Same with living outside of Seoul, but making the trip there a lot. Where I live in Jeonbuk it's 30,000won round trip (cheapest bus option) and at least 15-20,000won for a hostel for one night plus food and drinks. It adds up if you do that every month.

I feel like saying, "If you live X lifestyle, it's going to be expensive, but if you do Y, it's really cheap" is kind of misleading, though. Like, we're comparing Korea to other countries when we make these comparisons, usually, so a person who does most of his or her cooking at home, doesn't make many unnecessary purchases, and doesn't go out regularly should be compared to a person with a similar lifestyle in a foreign country, and a person who does go out a lot, etc should be compared to a similar lifestyled person.

Like, obviously it's cheaper to live as a person who does most of their cooking at home and isn't balling out on the regular. But we were (or at least I was) commenting how Seoul isn't really that much cheaper than a lot of western cities.

I feel like, aside from rent prices, if you're a person who likes to stay home and do most of your cooking at home, etc, then living in a western country would be moderately cheaper than living in Korea. That might be offset by cheap necessities like internet and cell phones here, though. But, if you're a person who likes to go out drinking a lot and eat at nice restaurants, I think Seoul is definitely cheaper than most western cities.

Yeah I agree, I was just meaning to say that Seoul is comparable to other western cities but outside of it is where it's cheaper. Like eating out in Seoul costs more than other cities here, and if you're travelling to Seoul then it adds up more. That being said, my city in Canada charges $3.75 for one way on the bus regardless on if you ride for 5 stops or 20. Korea's public transportation is a heck of a lot cheaper. Housing in the equivalent of Suwon for a one room is about $800. Utilities are also a lot more. My original post was to say it's generally cheaper here but if you want the comforts of home you'll end up spending more. Having to travel to find those comforts adds up too. If you're willing to deal with Korean food, you can live relatively cheap, but if you want to live off western foods, you're going to see a price difference because of import fees and lack of availability. I got on a tangent in the last post... And kind of in this one... I'm half awake, don't mind me o.o

Nah, I totes got what you were saying. But sometimes people are like, "LOL IT'S SO CHEAP IF YOU AREN'T SOME SORT OF IRRESPONSIBLE GOON WHO GOES OUT ALL THE TIME" and I'm always like, "Well, yes. But can would you spend more or less than doing that same thing in your home country?"

Also, truly we are blessed with the public transportation here. It's so wonderful.

Offline Kaynadian

• Adventurer
« Reply #6142 on: June 12, 2017, 05:14:57 PM »
I have had a headache of varying intensity for over a week now. Some days it is manageable and today it is so bad I am sweating and throwing up. First couple of days I thought it was a migraine, haven't had one in a long time but the pain was all wrong. I am sure it is something simple and it will vanish as quickly as it came, I just really really want a deep, decent, night's sleep.

I would get checked out by a doctor if I were you. It could be something more serious than a simple headache if it has been going on for serveral days. Also coupled with the sweating and vomiting, I think it would be better to be safe rather than sorry.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6143 on: June 12, 2017, 05:23:49 PM »
I'm steadily working on paying off my student loans which is great, but Korea is more expensive to live in than I thought it'd be. (And I know we have it pretty good, and there are other countries that are much more expensive, but I just really feel like whining about it right now.) Also just found out that they're adding me to that teacher's fund thing, so there's another 20,000 a month gone. Sigh.

Those teacher fees are the biggest and stupidest waste of money ever. There is no reason that delivery food needs to be ordered every week for snacky time. Stocking up the room with instant coffee and some crackers, etc, shouldn't cost 20,000 per person, per month. And for a year or semester end dinner, you still don't really need to do 20,000 per person. I'm so happy nobody at my current school does that nonsense.

Not to mention the NET is rarely invited to these gatherings anyway

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6144 on: June 12, 2017, 05:28:17 PM »

Also, truly we are blessed with the public transportation here. It's so wonderful.

"It's so wonderfully cheap and punctual", is a bit more accurate.

When I take the bus during non-peak hours, it's great.

When I take it during peak hours (read: during my morning and afternoon commutes), it's a nightmare. Packed to thee gills, everyone standing nuts-to-butts, ajummas and halmonies throwing elbows to swim their way to the back, people having shout-versations on their phones. Old men reeking of soju (and deli meat, for some reason. The garlic, maybe?), generally terrible temperature control...

Ugh. You'd think that in my 6th year here I'd be used to things like a lack of personal space or people not following the same standards of courtesy I grew up accustomed to (not saying they're being discourteous, before anyone jumps on me; I recognize it's a cultural thing), but I'm really, really, super not.

I'd get a car, but frankly, Korean traffic terrifies me  :laugh:. Gotta choose my battles.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6145 on: June 12, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »

When I take it during peak hours (read: during my morning and afternoon commutes), it's a nightmare. Packed to thee gills, everyone standing nuts-to-butts, ajummas and halmonies throwing elbows to swim their way to the back, people having shout-versations on their phones. Old men reeking of soju (and deli meat, for some reason. The garlic, maybe?), generally terrible temperature control...

Ugh. You'd think that in my 6th year here I'd be used to things like a lack of personal space or people not following the same standards of courtesy I grew up accustomed to (not saying they're being discourteous, before anyone jumps on me; I recognize it's a cultural thing), but I'm really, really, super not.

I'd get a car, but frankly, Korean traffic terrifies me  :laugh:. Gotta choose my battles.

I'm totally with you - when the subway is so crowded you almost can't breathe, that's a special sort of hell. But, to be fair, my bus to university when I was in university was equally crowded. But yeah - no mitigating factor to reduce how miserable peak rush hour subway is. At least it's cheap?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6146 on: June 12, 2017, 05:32:58 PM »
I have had a headache of varying intensity for over a week now. Some days it is manageable and today it is so bad I am sweating and throwing up. First couple of days I thought it was a migraine, haven't had one in a long time but the pain was all wrong. I am sure it is something simple and it will vanish as quickly as it came, I just really really want a deep, decent, night's sleep.

I would get checked out by a doctor if I were you. It could be something more serious than a simple headache if it has been going on for several days. Also coupled with the sweating and vomiting, I think it would be better to be safe rather than sorry.

Yeah, I'd see a doctor, What?What? That doesn't sound like an average headache. Take care of yourself~~

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6147 on: June 12, 2017, 05:37:28 PM »
http://www.12news.com/news/rescued-from-serial-killer-video-show-moment-sc-was-freed/447570425

I used to live around where this was going on.

Scary and sickening.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6148 on: June 12, 2017, 05:37:49 PM »

I would get checked out by a doctor if I were you. It could be something more serious than a simple headache if it has been going on for serveral days. Also coupled with the sweating and vomiting, I think it would be better to be safe rather than sorry.

a headache combined with sweating and vomiting might be meningitis.

i'd see a doctor ASAP. i mean, like RIGHT NOW. if you are at work then leave immediately.

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6149 on: June 12, 2017, 05:40:46 PM »
I'm steadily working on paying off my student loans which is great, but Korea is more expensive to live in than I thought it'd be. (And I know we have it pretty good, and there are other countries that are much more expensive, but I just really feel like whining about it right now.) Also just found out that they're adding me to that teacher's fund thing, so there's another 20,000 a month gone. Sigh.

Those teacher fees are the biggest and stupidest waste of money ever. There is no reason that delivery food needs to be ordered every week for snacky time. Stocking up the room with instant coffee and some crackers, etc, shouldn't cost 20,000 per person, per month. And for a year or semester end dinner, you still don't really need to do 20,000 per person. I'm so happy nobody at my current school does that nonsense.

is this the same fund that pays out if you get married or a relative dies? i was actually surprised how low the money was when i got married. after paying into it monthly for 3 years, i expected a little more

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6150 on: June 12, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »
Huh?

Sorry, but you sound a little confused.

If you ARE contributing to that "gathering" fund, you are ALWAYS "invited", as you are paying for it.

That said, if you are NOT contributing actively to the "gathering" fund, you are NOT being included, because you have NOT been paying to be included.

Make sense now?

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6151 on: June 12, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »
TRANSPORTATION STUFF

Taking the bus here (no subway in my area) has actually made me a worse person, I've noticed.

When I first got here, I was told that Koreans give up their seats to the elderly and to pregnant women, so that's what I did. If a person who looked 50 or older got on and there were no seats available, I'd hop up and offer them mine. Ditto for pregnant women.

Now, though....   nah. I'll still get up if someone super old-looking gets on (and I'm talking like 'older-than-the-telephone' old here), and nobody in the rows in front of me gets up for them, then sure. I'll offer my seat. If it's just some ajumma with a perm out in her hiking gear, though, she can stand like everyone else.

I do still offer my seat to pregnant women or women carrying babies, of course. I also get up for people on crutches, mostly because I remember how much it sucked when I was on crutches for a few months here and people wouldn't always offer me a seat. Actually, I once got up to offer my seat to an old lady when I was on crutches, but after watch me struggle to stay on my feet for a few minutes, she got up and made me take my seat back  :laugh:.

So uh.... yeah. I'm not as nice as I used to be, and it's a result of living here. I'm not even sure if I feel bad about that.  :blank:

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6152 on: June 12, 2017, 05:44:02 PM »

I'm totally with you - when the subway is so crowded you almost can't breathe, that's a special sort of hell. But, to be fair, my bus to university when I was in university was equally crowded. But yeah - no mitigating factor to reduce how miserable peak rush hour subway is. At least it's cheap?
Compared to the GTA it's heaven here. I'll take an elbow if that means not being talked at by some sketchy dude on drugs... Or having people try to constantly bum "bus money" off me at stops. We also had a lot of buses that would get relatively filled up and then the bus would just drive by you and you'd have to wait another 30 minutes. I had so many times when a bus just wouldn't show up, or the bus driver would pop out so do some light shopping, or just cruise by my stop because they were daydreaming.

That's just city buses. I took a Mega Bus from Whitby to Montreal once and it cost me about 75$ each way. About a 4-5 hour trip. I pay about 20-25$ each way for that here and the buses are more comfortable and don't make half a billion stops in between.

I despise Canada's public transit system, much prefer the cost and service of Korea's.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6153 on: June 12, 2017, 05:47:37 PM »
Mr. Tim,

Are you sitting in the "normal" seats or the "special" seats, as that makes quite a big difference with what you are saying?

Too many Koreans occupy those special seats.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6154 on: June 12, 2017, 05:52:37 PM »
Mr. Tim,

Are you sitting in the "normal" seats or the "special" seats, as that makes quite a big difference with what you are saying?

Normal seats. On the rare occasions I go to Seoul, I know not to sit in the special seats.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6155 on: June 12, 2017, 05:53:43 PM »
We also had a lot of buses that would get relatively filled up and then the bus would just drive by you and you'd have to wait another 30 minutes. I had so many times when a bus just wouldn't show up, or the bus driver would pop out so do some light shopping, or just cruise by my stop because they were daydreaming.

i've missed the bus in korea a ton of times because the bus has arrived early. not just a little bit, but like a good 5 minutes earlier than it's supposed to, and because the bus driver was too 'bbali bbali' to wait and make sure he arrived at the designated time.

i've also had buses drive past because they were too full, and buses with 3 people in them just drive past because the racist gaejjoshi **** driving didn't want to stop to pick up a foreigner. i've also had the door closed in my face after a bunch of koreans have gotten on, if i've been the last person in line to get on.

then i've had bus drivers who have either refused or just forgotten to stop at the stop i wanted them to, and then refused to stop before the next stop, leaving me to walk 30 minutes backwards when they finally did stop.

i've been flung onto the ground of the bus because the drivers here don't realize that a pedal can be pushed gently rather than simply pushed to either the 'on' or 'off' position.

a girl i know actually had vertebrae in her back cracked after she went flying along the floor of the bus and slammed into the front of it with her back from the bus driver ramming the brakes so hard.

but yeah it's cheap i guess.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6156 on: June 12, 2017, 05:55:09 PM »
Mr. Tim,

When I was in Japan I noticed their attitude towards the "special" seats was really different on the subway. In my time in Korea, I've seen maybe 2 or 3 not pregnant, non elderly persons sitting in those seats, usually after concerts or sporting events. Even when the rest of the car was totally full and packed and old people were sitting in the regular seats, no one under 50 dared sit in those "old ppl only" seats on a regular day. But in Japan, there were a lot of young people sitting in those areas if there were no elderly people to take up the spots.

If an old person needed the spot of course they would get up, but the attitude towards sitting there was so much more relaxed and logical.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6157 on: June 12, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »
Mr. Tim,

Normal seats. On the rare occasions I go to Seoul, I know not to sit in the special seats.

Those seats are fair game for anybody. But once an elderly/pregnant person shows up, you should give it up. Just like you don't have to avoid the handicap stall in the bathroom unless there's a guy in a wheelchair right behind you.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6158 on: June 12, 2017, 05:59:20 PM »
Huh?

Sorry, but you sound a little confused.

If you ARE contributing to that "gathering" fund, you are ALWAYS "invited", as you are paying for it.

That said, if you are NOT contributing actively to the "gathering" fund, you are NOT being included, because you have NOT been paying to be included.

Make sense now?

The resulting echo from the clear emptiness of your life can be heard in space. Chilling.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #6159 on: June 12, 2017, 06:04:31 PM »
If an old person needed the spot of course they would get up, but the attitude towards sitting there was so much more relaxed and logical.

I think what it might be is that sometimes, the old person will say "no no, that's okay" (which I've seen on normal seats on the subway and special seats on the bus) and then there's some whole dance where people offer and refuse and then whatever. Or you get some situation where an old person asks to sit and the young person might be fine or they might get up in a disappointed fashion (and then wonder, why didn't you ask THAT guy) Young people just leave it open so the old people and disabled won't have to feel sad in asking.

Not necessarily logical, but not illogical either. Keeping it open during those times when you know it's going to be full can just save some future hassle.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment