September 20, 2017, 12:34:19 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 481851 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6100 on: June 07, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »
Waygook.org user Gidget clearly exaggerated a little bit, but - it's mostly believable.

Every time I've scored an English quiz, I always gave the highest score to someone who spoke clearly, had an original, not-plagiarized speech, and spoke loudly and confidently, with minimal reading from his or her paper.

Also, whoever had a speech that was either relevant or interesting, or entertaining.

I always kept things like the student's personality in class, English grades, etc separate from my speech scoring.

And Korean teachers always, always disagreed with me for reasons like: that student doesn't behave well in class, or his English scores aren't good, so he can't beat someone who does better on tests, or on one occasion they just said we should give a student first place because otherwise his mother will complain. Also, some teachers mistakenly said a student won in a previous year, and so secretly disqualified from placing.

Completely ridiculous and absolutely unfair.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6101 on: June 07, 2017, 03:51:42 PM »
Lol a former student of mine was definitely the best at English in his class but he was also the worst behaved.  Mostly I think he was bored/hormonal (same class as a student who couldn't read English at all... so... ) so I tried my best to balance things and keep him engaged but he was still kind of a butt. 

Is it just my classes, or do the boys always seem way moodier than the girls?  (mostly middle school but also some elementary as well)

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6102 on: June 07, 2017, 04:00:46 PM »
Lol a former student of mine was definitely the best at English in his class but he was also the worst behaved.  Mostly I think he was bored/hormonal (same class as a student who couldn't read English at all... so... ) so I tried my best to balance things and keep him engaged but he was still kind of a butt. 

Is it just my classes, or do the boys always seem way moodier than the girls?  (mostly middle school but also some elementary as well)

It's not just you, the boys are moodier in different ways tho. If they're bored or angry I find they just shut down completely. They just decide to give up immediately. It's either "i assume I know this, thus I don't need to pay attention" or "I'm too angry that Jinsu has a cooler spinner than me so I need to let everyone know I'm angry by giving everyone the silent treatment.
The girls on the other hand shut down by weeping until they get attention from their friends. But I haven't had nearly as many girls do that.

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6103 on: June 07, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »
Either I'm Jeff Goldblum, staring at a monumental pile of BS, or...

The most obscure reference I've ever seen. Oi vey.

This is a very timely reference. Hey hey.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6104 on: June 07, 2017, 04:06:56 PM »
Either I'm Jeff Goldblum, staring at a monumental pile of BS, or...

The most obscure reference I've ever seen. Oi vey.

This is a very timely reference. Hey hey.

Well, there it is.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6105 on: June 07, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »

It's not just you, the boys are moodier in different ways tho. If they're bored or angry I find they just shut down completely. They just decide to give up immediately. It's either "i assume I know this, thus I don't need to pay attention" or "I'm too angry that Jinsu has a cooler spinner than me so I need to let everyone know I'm angry by giving everyone the silent treatment.
The girls on the other hand shut down by weeping until they get attention from their friends. But I haven't had nearly as many girls do that.

I find it interesting how some of the biggest bullies in my classes are also the biggest try-hard nerds. It's rarely the athletic kids who pick on others at my schools. It's the kids who are middle-class and above average academically who who constantly make fun of the kids who are less academically inclined.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6106 on: June 07, 2017, 04:35:12 PM »
Some people have earned being, "Hero of Waygookistan" but I do feel there are those that carry this title when they are more "Gobshite of Waygookistan".

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6107 on: June 07, 2017, 04:53:56 PM »
(Based God, please tell me he's not talking about me. :cry: :cry:)

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6108 on: June 07, 2017, 04:57:35 PM »

I find it interesting how some of the biggest bullies in my classes are also the biggest try-hard nerds. It's rarely the athletic kids who pick on others at my schools. It's the kids who are middle-class and above average academically who who constantly make fun of the kids who are less academically inclined.

The nerds are the rockstars in this culture.

"Getting a job at Samsung Electronics" is the life they all dream of.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6109 on: June 07, 2017, 05:04:14 PM »
In a way, if you're going to have bullies, wouldn't you rather they earn that status for their academic, rather than physical, prowess.

Revenge of the Nerds, anyone?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6110 on: June 07, 2017, 05:22:41 PM »
Interestingly enough, my butthead student was not only the best at English, but he was also the best athlete in school (till he graduated). Lol

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6111 on: June 07, 2017, 06:03:25 PM »

Nah, I don't think I would have an itching urge to backhand you if I met you.  :laugh: :laugh:

The Gobshites very seldom post on this thread actually. They prefer to post out there in the other threads where they can troll fresh, young naive meat.
-A.A. Milne

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6112 on: June 07, 2017, 06:30:26 PM »

Nah, I don't think I would have an itching urge to backhand you if I met you.  :laugh: :laugh:

I dunno. You might. You haven't seen my smile.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6113 on: June 07, 2017, 06:46:55 PM »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
-A.A. Milne

Offline Skyehawks

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Veteran
« Reply #6114 on: June 08, 2017, 11:03:55 AM »
Yesterday all my classes cancelled. Normally that would go on the happy sh!t megathread i know. But why were they cancelled? Because some students went to a sports day thing somewhere else. The kicker.... 3 of my 4 classes yesterday were grade 4. And no grade 4 students went to the sports thing.

So now I am wondering if there is another reason behind class being cancelled. As normally most teachers send their students to me regardless of if my coteacher is here or not.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6115 on: June 08, 2017, 11:49:23 AM »
The way my CT teaches is SO weird. I don't get what's going through her head. First, we barely plan so when she tells me what we are gonna do, she will tell me the first thing and the last thing and rarely tell me what we will do in the middle. The first class is always me standing there like an idiot. And then she goes through the material SO fast, I can barely keep up. The only students who are on top of things are the brightest students and the rest are just lagging behind, doing the activities only when she shows the correct answers (like 3 seconds after giving the questions) or just staring blankly and not doing anything.

She even rushes me, telling me to go faster or stop helping students and move onto the next activity. What is her deal?? Sometimes I think she is just too preoccupied with whatever is in her head, like having enough time to check their homework or her personal problems, to actually care if the students are learning anything or not.

Surprise surprise, when the test comes around and the lower level students can't do it, she just yells at them about  practicing more and then marks them O anyway.

What is the point of her messy way of "teaching"? It's so unorganized and stressful for everyone. I wish I could call her out.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6116 on: June 08, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
Why is it whenever one of my classes is canceled for whatever reason, it gets re-scheduled? I've got classes pushed back to two weeks from now. Aren't the students instead missing those classes they would have during the re-scheduled times? Is my class that important? Is having a little time off for homeroom teachers (because lets face it, they never come to my class) more important?

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6117 on: June 08, 2017, 01:34:57 PM »
How can the fact that the door will slam when the windows are open still come as a shock to the people in my office?

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6118 on: June 08, 2017, 03:06:20 PM »
I find it both strange and frustrating how schools will negotiate with students regarding their classroom behavior. It's just bizarre to me how much power and control they give kids here.

I mean, I get it. Many schools have their hands tied thanks to the way the system works here.

But I don't get how telling a student that he can sleep in class in order to prevent him from skipping the class altogether is helping anything in any way. All it does is send a bad message to the rest of the class and makes it more difficult to prevent other students from also putting their heads down. It's so stupid. It would be better to keep the problem student in lockdown in an empty classroom, if you're really going to let him do his own thing.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 03:08:34 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6119 on: June 08, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »
In a way, if you're going to have bullies, wouldn't you rather they earn that status for their academic, rather than physical, prowess.

Revenge of the Nerds, anyone?

Lol that movie would trigger so many people if it came out today. It had rape, sexual crimes, racism, and other negative stereotypes  :laugh: :laugh:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment