September 22, 2017, 01:35:13 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 486173 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6040 on: May 31, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »
On another note, I finally watched "곡성" (The Wailing) last night after nearly a year of anticipation.

God was it terrible. :sad:

Everyone says it's amazing.

I think it's alright.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #6041 on: May 31, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
Sweet Potato? F**k that s**t!

(kidding. nothing against sweet potato)

Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6042 on: May 31, 2017, 03:04:47 PM »
It might be better than I'm giving it credit for, but given that anything else I've read was gushing with praise for it, I was expecting much more. As is, it fell into some awkward uncanny valley where it was good enough in a lot of ways to be confused for a good film, but failed where it really counted. Or perhaps all those positive reviewers fell prey to some version of the sunk cost effect; Did I just waste nearly three hours on a bad movie, *or* was that actually the horror flick of the decade?

It felt a bit like the filmmaker was asking the viewer,

-What's 2 + 2?

~Why it's 4.

-No. I thought you might say that, but actually it's 8.

~Eight? How so?

-That second 2 was actually a 5, I just wrote it kinda sloppy. And there was one more that I didn't really tell you about, but is fully explained in the Director's Cut Bluray.

~oh.

Also, some pretty bad editing (it certainly didn't *need* to be as long as it was) and some awkward zombie scenes that didn't really fit. And it sure got a lot of people on reddit feeling very comfortable saying "the Jap". :undecided:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 05:11:33 PM by donovan »

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6043 on: May 31, 2017, 03:13:18 PM »
I rather like sweet potato makgeolli.

Also, if you like sweet potato, might I interest you in a drink of this beverage oft distilled from said vegetable?

It now comes in 자몽맛!^^
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:20:23 PM by donovan »

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6044 on: May 31, 2017, 03:21:59 PM »
I rather like sweet potato makgeolli.

Also, if you like sweet potato, might I interest you in a drink of this beverage oft distilled from said vegetable?

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: Do you know soju? :shocked: :shocked:

It now comes in 자몽맛!^^

Offline Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6045 on: May 31, 2017, 04:26:16 PM »
On another note, I finally watched "곡성" (The Wailing) last night after nearly a year of anticipation.

Everyone says it's amazing.

I think it's alright.

First half was great. Second half kind of lost the plot and dragged on.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6046 on: May 31, 2017, 04:30:16 PM »

I fell asleep during it. I don't get the hype.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6047 on: May 31, 2017, 05:39:59 PM »
Brooklyn Nine-Nine was a total failure in class.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #6048 on: June 01, 2017, 01:55:49 AM »
I'm trying to buy some Ken's Ranch Dressing and it is only allowed up to six per order. It's considered a health supplement.

1) No one ever in the history of history has ever thought that.
2) Call a spade, a spade. It's an anti-competition barrier.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. ďMan, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.Ē
-AP

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6049 on: June 01, 2017, 02:20:49 AM »
Why can't I find more about the 3 teens that were idiots in Hongdae last week? kljsdfhlksdjf

Here's something: https://korea.stripes.com/news/three-american-teenagers-accused-assault-seoul#sthash.HXQMIYzm.dpbs

What more would you like to know?

Offline gidget

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6050 on: June 01, 2017, 10:53:55 AM »
One of my CTs is sulking. Sulking!

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6051 on: June 01, 2017, 12:17:02 PM »
Get to school today. None of my textbook CDs or DVDs will work. None of my downloaded textbook resources will work. Check programs. All adobe and Shockwave players, Flash players, GOM and all that shit has been uninstalled. I try and prep my song for grade 3. MS media player is also gone.  I tell my CT that I am not sure why all those programs were removed, but I need them to lesson plan and to actually do my lessons. He walks away shrugging. I ask if I can download Adobe and any of the others that I will need and he says he will need to ask the Principal. What am I missing here? I am clearly missing something. I admit I do not understand technology in Korea. I just don't, from IE to Ahnlab and now this.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline gidget

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6052 on: June 01, 2017, 12:47:23 PM »
Get to school today. None of my textbook CDs or DVDs will work. None of my downloaded textbook resources will work. Check programs. All adobe and Shockwave players, Flash players, GOM and all that shit has been uninstalled. I try and prep my song for grade 3. MS media player is also gone.  I tell my CT that I am not sure why all those programs were removed, but I need them to lesson plan and to actually do my lessons. He walks away shrugging. I ask if I can download Adobe and any of the others that I will need and he says he will need to ask the Principal. What am I missing here? I am clearly missing something. I admit I do not understand technology in Korea. I just don't, from IE to Ahnlab and now this.

I was about to complain about my sulking CT again and how she's being passive aggressive but I read your post and cringed.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6053 on: June 01, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »

lol that always stings when you try to introduce something you think is cool and the students are like "what is wrong with you"

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6054 on: June 01, 2017, 01:08:40 PM »

I was about to complain about my sulking CT again and how she's being passive aggressive but I read your post and cringed.

LOL, although I do feel your pain too. I am particularly irritated by adults that sulk. It is one of the few times that I will say "oh, just f*%king grow the f*%k up."

To add to my woes of trying to discuss the flash/shock wave issue - I get told that I can't have adobe because we need a licence for it because the computers are networked, if this is true ok, but I am only using it as a end user with it on my C drive not on the network drive??? Please can someone with some kind of technological know-how help me out here.... (oh yeah, but it is on his computer, and the other classroom computer), I checked, so I just really don't understand. I will just work on the other computer for now, even though it means standing.. I guess that is good for my back.

* EDIT No, I am not an idiot. Shockwave player is free. Nothing has changed we don't need a fekking licence. Gaaawwwwwwwwd strooth.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:13:44 PM by What?What? »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6055 on: June 01, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »

lol that always stings when you try to introduce something you think is cool and the students are like "what is wrong with you"
It really does. Share a little bit of your soul and they throw it back at you. Haha.

There was one kid that thought it was funny though and laughed throughout, so I guess there's that.

Online kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6056 on: June 01, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »
I'm a bit sick, throat's been killin me since the dustball concert that was PSY at JeonbukDae, and to top it off i blew out my neck while sleeping... Living in the middle of nowhere means no chiropractor nearby to sort out my neck so one of the teachers offered to take me to one of those oriental medicine places. I told her no acupuncture and she just said okay and giggled... I don't trust her and with this slight cold I don't trust myself to not sneeze with a neck full of needles......

Oh and to top it off another teacher said that because I can't move my head side to side, I look like Mr Bean when I turn  :cry:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6057 on: June 01, 2017, 03:25:13 PM »
The teacher next to me is snoring.. loudly.

Offline Elegy

• Adventurer
« Reply #6058 on: June 01, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »
Apparently one of my travel schools is getting rid of their NET (me) next semester and will be using the NET from the middle school right next to elementary. Okay, fine, I get that they might want to save money or whatever, but no one informed me about it until a random 3rd grade teacher mentioned it in passing to me in the hallway. Come on, Korea, it's not that hard to freaking tell your employee of the past 4 months something like that so I don't find out off-hand in the middle of the day.

And it was my favorite school.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6059 on: June 01, 2017, 04:50:33 PM »
... Living in the middle of nowhere means no chiropractor nearby to sort out my neck so
If it's any consolation there are barely any chiropractors anywhere in Korea. Big city or small. It's oriental medicine or nothing.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment