September 25, 2017, 08:13:22 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 489465 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6000 on: May 30, 2017, 10:16:31 AM »
High of 92 today and the AC still isn't going to be turned on. I am coping with an ice pack down my pants.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #6001 on: May 30, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
High of 92 today and the AC still isn't going to be turned on. I am coping with an ice pack down my pants.

Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #6002 on: May 30, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
***Public service announcement*** We are approaching page 300 on this thread, which is, I believe close to the upper limit allotted for thread lengths. Screen cap everything if you want to preserve other people's misery for posterity, 'cause it may all vanish soon just like its previous iterations!
Like all the best apocalyptic prophecies, this one was ahead of it's time. Perhaps 500 pages, then?
Obviously I was, uh, using the base 12 system of counting. Because of my Mayan ancestry. 300, in your Western (and clearly inferior) method of counting would be 432 (3*12*12)

IIRC the last thread died because the OP deleted her account. If OP deletes their account, then every thread OP created will also be deleted. As for the limit on how many pages a thread can reach, I have not a clue.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6003 on: May 30, 2017, 11:59:19 AM »

High of 92 today

Is it simply being stubborn that America will not catch up with the rest of the world and use metric instead of imperial, and use celsius when measuring temperature?

It infuriates me that I have to constantly convert a measurements when reading american books or websites.  It's like they think no one else outside of America will read it or perhaps they simply don't give a crap if anyone does.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:02:23 PM by welcomebackkotter »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6004 on: May 30, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
***Public service announcement*** We are approaching page 300 on this thread, which is, I believe close to the upper limit allotted for thread lengths. Screen cap everything if you want to preserve other people's misery for posterity, 'cause it may all vanish soon just like its previous iterations!
Like all the best apocalyptic prophecies, this one was ahead of it's time. Perhaps 500 pages, then?
Obviously I was, uh, using the base 12 system of counting. Because of my Mayan ancestry. 300, in your Western (and clearly inferior) method of counting would be 432 (3*12*12)

IIRC the last thread died because the OP deleted her account. If OP deletes their account, then every thread OP created will also be deleted. As for the limit on how many pages a thread can reach, I have not a clue.

There you have it. MODs confirm that I am not unequivocally wrong!

***Public service announcement*** We are (soon going to be) approaching page 432 on this thread, which is, I believe close to the upper limit allotted for thread lengths. Screen cap everything if you want to preserve other people's misery for posterity, 'cause it may all vanish soon just like its previous iterations!

Offline gidget

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6005 on: May 30, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »
I've been asked to make a reading test for my Gr.3's (elementary). I can only use vocabularly from one lesson chapter. I make the test and show it to my CT's.  They claim the words "up" and "down" are too difficult and ask me to remake the test using nouns.  So I remake the test with "book", "melon" etc.  Again, too difficult.  I ask if they want me to just use the letters and make it more of a phonics quiz.  Nope, that's not allowed because the curriculum demands a reading test.
Somehow I have to make a reading test that doesn't use any words. :cry:

I wanted to reply to this but then the forum broke. I've attached an example of a ten minute test my CT did with the students. I think this is what your CTs might be looking for.  Although my CT did comment it might be too difficult a test because the grade 3s can't read....

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6006 on: May 30, 2017, 01:03:48 PM »

High of 92 today

Is it simply being stubborn that America will not catch up with the rest of the world and use metric instead of imperial, and use celsius when measuring temperature?

It infuriates me that I have to constantly convert a measurements when reading american books or websites.  It's like they think no one else outside of America will read it or perhaps they simply don't give a crap if anyone does.

It's habit for me unfortunately, didn't mean to swing my star-spangled wang in anyone's face. I am not proud.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6007 on: May 30, 2017, 01:34:23 PM »

High of 92 today

It's habit for me unfortunately, didn't mean to swing my star-spangled wang in anyone's face. I am not proud.

It wasn't really directed at you, it just set me off.  I don't hold it against you, it's what you were taught from year dot so it's understandable.  Sorry.  It's the system in general I was going off at.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6008 on: May 30, 2017, 02:38:38 PM »

I'm sorry.
I'm an American. I can't hear you. You'll have to speak up and lose the accent.

92^F is a little over 33^C, buy the way. And despite my stubborn and imperious (i.e. American) proclivities, I'd be in favor of switching to metric just for the sake of never having to spell Fairenhite ever again.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:41:01 PM by donovan »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6009 on: May 30, 2017, 02:52:29 PM »

I'm sorry.

92^F is a little over 33^C, buy the way. And despite my stubborn and imperious (i.e. American) proclivities, I'd be in favor of switching to metric just for the sake of never having to spell Fairenhite ever again.
Is "buy the way" also an Americanism? 
Kapitalist pigs! >:(

Also, I wouldn't call Hite fair.
Or even mediocre.
Although it *is* better than Cass. (discuss)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:57:10 PM by kyndo »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6010 on: May 30, 2017, 02:54:54 PM »

I'm sorry.

Kapitalist pigs!  >:(

Also, I wouldn't call Hite fair.
Or even mediocre.
Although it *is* better than Cass. (discuss)

Pear and Hite is okay.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6011 on: May 30, 2017, 03:49:55 PM »

High of 92 today

I can't help but prefer fahrenheit when talking about hot temps. its' so satisfying to say 90-100 degrees when you're sweating your balls off.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6012 on: May 30, 2017, 03:51:36 PM »

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6013 on: May 30, 2017, 04:22:54 PM »

High of 92 today

I can't help but prefer fahrenheit when talking about hot temps. its' so satisfying to say 90-100 degrees when you're sweating your balls off.

It has it's uses:

When people ask my height, 6 foot 1 has a much better 'oomph' to it than 186cm, which sounds dorkish, in a weird way.

"Before talking about someone behind their back, you should walk a mile in their shoes... That way, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

With kilometers, the joke just doesn't ring as well.

There's no excuse for tiny measurements though. Measuring the action height on my guitar in
3/16ths, 1/8th, 4/5ths of an inch etc... Just use millimeters, for Pete's sake.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6014 on: May 30, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
I once had a coteacher tell me I should teach the students about imperial measurements as a cultural thing. And I was like, "That's not really... English. Or relevant to them. Or useful. It's kind of a waste of time because it's not something they're interested in or need to know, and we won't spend enough time to make it actually sink in, so it's just kind of some white noise that isn't useful at all in this context. Also I don't really know it very well, I'm not from America."

And she was like "You should do it."

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6015 on: May 30, 2017, 04:42:25 PM »
In the UK we use a weird mix of both though which can get confusing, I wish we would fully switch.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #6016 on: May 30, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »
In the UK we use a weird mix of both though which can get confusing, I wish we would fully switch.

Canada, too. I'm 5'7" and 180lbs. It's 100km from Barrie to Toronto. This steak is 16oz, as is my draft beer. But, my bottle is 330ml. 

My body temperature is 37 degrees but my favourite band is 98 Degrees.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #6017 on: May 30, 2017, 04:51:36 PM »

I'm sorry. I'm an American. I can't hear you. You'll have to speak up and lose the accent.

Kapitalist pigs!  >:(
Not merely an Americanism.  It's The American Way.

Pear and Hite is okay.

Alcohol that tastes good? Sissy stuff!

What kind of balls we talkin here? You're awfully close to appropriating male culture here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:55:27 PM by donovan »

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6018 on: May 30, 2017, 04:55:51 PM »

Same with parts of Canada. Usually body measurements are taken using the imperial system. Maybe cuz having a 31 waist sounds smaller than 79cm...

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #6019 on: May 30, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »
If I click on a fitness article and read that someone reduced their weight by a stone I immediately stop reading. Not worth the effort.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment