November 19, 2017, 02:55:10 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564320 times)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #600 on: August 29, 2016, 10:06:10 AM »

Let's get back to this anal probe thing? Not sure I would actually do it. I would just give them back the clean Q-tip claiming religious reasons......  Also I asked a nurse friend and she said she knew it to be used to test for anal gonorrhea.   :blank:

Yeah I gave a very feeble attempt and I don't actually think the test will produce any results.  I don't know if they'll let it go or make me redo it.. in which case I'd get to miss more school which wouldn't be the worst thing ever.  Though I don't feel like discussing it with my coteacher any more than I already had to.

Gasian

« Reply #601 on: August 29, 2016, 10:13:17 AM »

Let's get back to this anal probe thing? Not sure I would actually do it. I would just give them back the clean Q-tip claiming religious reasons......  Also I asked a nurse friend and she said she knew it to be used to test for anal gonorrhea.   :blank:

Yeah I gave a very feeble attempt and I don't actually think the test will produce any results.  I don't know if they'll let it go or make me redo it.. in which case I'd get to miss more school which wouldn't be the worst thing ever.  Though I don't feel like discussing it with my coteacher any more than I already had to.

Lol, I read this and looked over at my CT and thought "not ever ever having that discussion with her" NEVAH EVAH!!! Awkward. Very very awkward!!! But keep us updated on your anal adventures, I am sure it will help the rest of us prepare for possible uncomfortable encounters. (I wonder if only foreign teachers have to have the anal probe?)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #602 on: August 29, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »
Also I just talked to a friend who also renewed and her exam didn't include the anal probing, so it must just be the weird hospital I went to. 

I really don't understand what the exam is for.  The day before I went to the immigration office and got that all sorted, so who even looks at my health results?  They're being mailed to my school.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #603 on: August 29, 2016, 10:33:41 AM »
    So. Over the weekend I went for a walk among the rice fields behind my apartment to photograph the local wildlife.

While doing so I slipped off the edge of the tiny little rice-field dike and rather than fall flat on my face in 10 cm of the most disgusting sludge imaginable, I fell in the opposite direction. Unfortunately for me, growing in the opposite direction were rows and rows of cultivated rose-bush-like plants with inch long thorns all of which immediately found delicate places in which to embed themselves before breaking off. After enduring a pretty thorough laughing-at, I made it home and spent a good 20 minutes with tweezers yanking the sodding things out.

Of course, two days later, all the teeny tiny little stab wounds have become infected (and yeah, I did douse them with iodine when I got home).

Anybody know anything about this plant so I can name it to the doctor when I go visit her this evening? It's about 2 meters tall, shrubby, has little fruit thingies that look a bit like small, unripe jube jubes, and has big ******* thorns that break off super duper easily.

Here's a pic (zoom in to admire the thorns just below the spider!).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:28:33 PM by kyndo »

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #604 on: August 29, 2016, 11:05:42 AM »
First day back at school after vacation. Computer memory roasted over the break, so they replaced it and downgraded me to a barely functional 2gigs.

I was just informed of the mandatory 회식 today at 5:20pm. At 11am on the day of said 회식. I really wouldn't mind the free food if there were just more warning.

Apparently the minor drop in air temperature means no more air conditioning this year.

None of it surprises me anymore, but it's still infuriating.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #605 on: August 29, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »
Anybody know anything about this plant so I can name it to the doctor when I go visit her this evening? It's about 2 meters tall, shrubby, has little fruit thingies that look a bit like small, unripe jube jubes, and has big ******* thorns that break off super duper easily.

Here's a pic (zoom in to admire the thorns just below the spider!).

Ouch, sorry to hear this happened to you. :(

The name of that plant is the jujube tree (called 대추 in Korean). The berries are used for herbal tea.

And as an FYI to anyone else, I could be wrong, but I think that spider is Korea's native banana spider (they are venomous to humans, but they're also extremely passive and rarely bite -- I don't think the bites are venomous enough to cause death, either, but they're supposed to hurt like hell).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:24:25 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline Andyroo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #606 on: August 29, 2016, 11:30:29 AM »
Also I just talked to a friend who also renewed and her exam didn't include the anal probing, so it must just be the weird hospital I went to. 

I know the anal probe health check is the cheaper one that restaurant staff have to get. They do that instead of blood tests etc and it is really cheap compared to the full one.

Personally I prefer to pay for the full one :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:32:09 AM by Andyroo »

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #607 on: August 29, 2016, 11:37:42 AM »
after a bit of research it seems the q-tip anal test is for either gonnorhea (like someone mentioned) or Strep B during pregnancy.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #608 on: August 29, 2016, 01:46:22 PM »
"야!"

"아 왜~~~~~~"

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #609 on: August 29, 2016, 01:59:35 PM »
No.

No no no.  No no, not gonna happen. Nope nope nope. 

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #610 on: August 29, 2016, 02:01:56 PM »
"야!"

"아 왜~~~~~~"

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

This resonates with me.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #611 on: August 29, 2016, 02:18:06 PM »

Apparently the minor drop in air temperature means no more air conditioning this year.

Yeah, I was loving the weather until I realized it means teaching in an 85 degree classroom.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #612 on: August 29, 2016, 02:33:37 PM »
So many hornets o.o They've built a nest outside my classroom window but even with the aircon on my coteacher insists on opening the window AND SCREEN to let in the hornets which freaks out the kids then I have to wait for the hornets to land on out blinds and roll em up super quick so the hornets are trapped (holy run on sentence batman!). I let em stay in there overnight so they die then dispose of the bug corpse the next day but its so annoying O.o

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #613 on: August 29, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »
So many hornets o.o They've built a nest outside my classroom window but even with the aircon on my coteacher insists on opening the window AND SCREEN to let in the hornets which freaks out the kids then I have to wait for the hornets to land on out blinds and roll em up super quick so the hornets are trapped (holy run on sentence batman!). I let em stay in there overnight so they die then dispose of the bug corpse the next day but its so annoying O.o

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read on waygook.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #614 on: August 30, 2016, 07:56:14 AM »

I really don't understand what the exam is for.  The day before I went to the immigration office and got that all sorted, so who even looks at my health results?  They're being mailed to my school.
I also just had my medical test yesterday and no probing. Was worried about it since it was first mentioned... thanks to waygook.org  :P

Gasian

« Reply #615 on: August 30, 2016, 08:21:26 AM »

I also just had my medical test yesterday and no probing. Was worried about it since it was first mentioned... thanks to waygook.org  :P

Good to know, thank you!!!

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #616 on: August 30, 2016, 08:26:24 AM »

Ouch, sorry to hear this happened to you. :(

The name of that plant is the jujube tree (called 대추 in Korean). The berries are used for herbal tea.

And as an FYI to anyone else, I could be wrong, but I think that spider is Korea's native banana spider (they are venomous to humans, but they're also extremely passive and rarely bite -- I don't think the bites are venomous enough to cause death, either, but they're supposed to hurt like hell).

Yeah, I was wondering if it was a jujube, but the leaves, and fruit were way to small, and the thorns disproportionately evil. Also, the plant looked more like a shrubbery than an actual tree.
Still, I went back and tasted a berry, and it was a jujube after all. According to my coworker, who first claimed total ignorance, the dwarf varieties of the plant can be grown closer together, and the fruit makes for better tea than the normal variety.
So anyway, good call Chinguetti:smiley:

And "Banana Spider" seems like such an undignified name. I much prefer "Golden Orb-web Spider".
Did you know that some species of this family grow large enough to catch and eat small birds and snakes? In Taiwan I've seen some that were bigger than my hand!
Beautiful colours, but not a web I want to run into during my evening jog! :huh:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:33:45 AM by kyndo »

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #617 on: August 30, 2016, 09:23:13 AM »

Ah, same. I renewed, but haven't had the medical check and was getting a little worried about it now.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #618 on: August 30, 2016, 09:28:20 AM »
Yeah, I was wondering if it was a jujube, but the leaves, and fruit were way to small, and the thorns disproportionately evil. Also, the plant looked more like a shrubbery than an actual tree.
Still, I went back and tasted a berry, and it was a jujube after all. According to my coworker, who first claimed total ignorance, the dwarf varieties of the plant can be grown closer together, and the fruit makes for better tea than the normal variety.
So anyway, good call Chinguetti:smiley:

And "Banana Spider" seems like such an undignified name. I much prefer "Golden Orb-web Spider".
Did you know that some species of this family grow large enough to catch and eat small birds and snakes? In Taiwan I've seen some that were bigger than my hand!
Beautiful colours, but not a web I want to run into during my evening jog! :huh:

Yeah, I thought the plant was a little on the small side, too, but figured it was either very young or had been modified.

And "golden orb" or "banana", I touched one by accident last year. I was running my hands through some shrubs and felt something cold and rubbery, and, when I looked, there it was trying to shimmy away. *shudders* Thing looked like its body could cover half my palm.

AND I HAVEN'T RUN MY HANDS THROUGH SHRUBBERY AGAIN SINCE THEN

I don't think my brain could process touching one that's actually as big as my entire hand. Dx

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #619 on: August 30, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »

Good to know, thank you!!!

At least I managed to terrify everyone  :evil: