November 19, 2017, 10:16:40 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564717 times)

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5980 on: June 12, 2017, 02:40:46 PM »
I'm steadily working on paying off my student loans which is great, but Korea is more expensive to live in than I thought it'd be. (And I know we have it pretty good, and there are other countries that are much more expensive, but I just really feel like whining about it right now.) Also just found out that they're adding me to that teacher's fund thing, so there's another 20,000 a month gone. Sigh.

Those teacher fees are the biggest and stupidest waste of money ever. There is no reason that delivery food needs to be ordered every week for snacky time. Stocking up the room with instant coffee and some crackers, etc, shouldn't cost 20,000 per person, per month. And for a year or semester end dinner, you still don't really need to do 20,000 per person. I'm so happy nobody at my current school does that nonsense.

Also, Korea's literally not that cheap. Housing is relatively cheap, but in Seoul, at least, the price of a lot of food and alcohol is comparable to that in some North American cities.

is this the same fund that pays out if you get married or a relative dies? i was actually surprised how low the money was when i got married. after paying into it monthly for 3 years, i expected a little more

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5981 on: June 12, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »
Not to mention the NET is rarely invited to these gatherings anyway
Huh?

Sorry, but you sound a little confused.

If you ARE contributing to that "gathering" fund, you are ALWAYS "invited", as you are paying for it.

That said, if you are NOT contributing actively to the "gathering" fund, you are NOT being included, because you have NOT been paying to be included.

Make sense now?

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5982 on: June 12, 2017, 02:41:57 PM »
TRANSPORTATION STUFF

Taking the bus here (no subway in my area) has actually made me a worse person, I've noticed.

When I first got here, I was told that Koreans give up their seats to the elderly and to pregnant women, so that's what I did. If a person who looked 50 or older got on and there were no seats available, I'd hop up and offer them mine. Ditto for pregnant women.

Now, though....   nah. I'll still get up if someone super old-looking gets on (and I'm talking like 'older-than-the-telephone' old here), and nobody in the rows in front of me gets up for them, then sure. I'll offer my seat. If it's just some ajumma with a perm out in her hiking gear, though, she can stand like everyone else.

I do still offer my seat to pregnant women or women carrying babies, of course. I also get up for people on crutches, mostly because I remember how much it sucked when I was on crutches for a few months here and people wouldn't always offer me a seat. Actually, I once got up to offer my seat to an old lady when I was on crutches, but after watch me struggle to stay on my feet for a few minutes, she got up and made me take my seat back  :laugh:.

So uh.... yeah. I'm not as nice as I used to be, and it's a result of living here. I'm not even sure if I feel bad about that.  :blank:

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5983 on: June 12, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »

Also, truly we are blessed with the public transportation here. It's so wonderful.

"It's so wonderfully cheap and punctual", is a bit more accurate.

When I take the bus during non-peak hours, it's great.

When I take it during peak hours (read: during my morning and afternoon commutes), it's a nightmare. Packed to thee gills, everyone standing nuts-to-butts, ajummas and halmonies throwing elbows to swim their way to the back, people having shout-versations on their phones. Old men reeking of soju (and deli meat, for some reason. The garlic, maybe?), generally terrible temperature control...

Ugh. You'd think that in my 6th year here I'd be used to things like a lack of personal space or people not following the same standards of courtesy I grew up accustomed to (not saying they're being discourteous, before anyone jumps on me; I recognize it's a cultural thing), but I'm really, really, super not.

I'd get a car, but frankly, Korean traffic terrifies me  :laugh:. Gotta choose my battles.

I'm totally with you - when the subway is so crowded you almost can't breathe, that's a special sort of hell. But, to be fair, my bus to university when I was in university was equally crowded. But yeah - no mitigating factor to reduce how miserable peak rush hour subway is. At least it's cheap?
Compared to the GTA it's heaven here. I'll take an elbow if that means not being talked at by some sketchy dude on drugs... Or having people try to constantly bum "bus money" off me at stops. We also had a lot of buses that would get relatively filled up and then the bus would just drive by you and you'd have to wait another 30 minutes. I had so many times when a bus just wouldn't show up, or the bus driver would pop out so do some light shopping, or just cruise by my stop because they were daydreaming.

That's just city buses. I took a Mega Bus from Whitby to Montreal once and it cost me about 75$ each way. About a 4-5 hour trip. I pay about 20-25$ each way for that here and the buses are more comfortable and don't make half a billion stops in between.

I despise Canada's public transit system, much prefer the cost and service of Korea's.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5984 on: June 12, 2017, 02:47:37 PM »
Mr. Tim,

Are you sitting in the "normal" seats or the "special" seats, as that makes quite a big difference with what you are saying?

Too many Koreans occupy those special seats.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5985 on: June 12, 2017, 02:52:37 PM »
Mr. Tim,

Are you sitting in the "normal" seats or the "special" seats, as that makes quite a big difference with what you are saying?

Normal seats. On the rare occasions I go to Seoul, I know not to sit in the special seats.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5986 on: June 12, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »
We also had a lot of buses that would get relatively filled up and then the bus would just drive by you and you'd have to wait another 30 minutes. I had so many times when a bus just wouldn't show up, or the bus driver would pop out so do some light shopping, or just cruise by my stop because they were daydreaming.

i've missed the bus in korea a ton of times because the bus has arrived early. not just a little bit, but like a good 5 minutes earlier than it's supposed to, and because the bus driver was too 'bbali bbali' to wait and make sure he arrived at the designated time.

i've also had buses drive past because they were too full, and buses with 3 people in them just drive past because the racist gaejjoshi **** driving didn't want to stop to pick up a foreigner. i've also had the door closed in my face after a bunch of koreans have gotten on, if i've been the last person in line to get on.

then i've had bus drivers who have either refused or just forgotten to stop at the stop i wanted them to, and then refused to stop before the next stop, leaving me to walk 30 minutes backwards when they finally did stop.

i've been flung onto the ground of the bus because the drivers here don't realize that a pedal can be pushed gently rather than simply pushed to either the 'on' or 'off' position.

a girl i know actually had vertebrae in her back cracked after she went flying along the floor of the bus and slammed into the front of it with her back from the bus driver ramming the brakes so hard.

but yeah it's cheap i guess.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5987 on: June 12, 2017, 02:55:09 PM »
Mr. Tim,

When I was in Japan I noticed their attitude towards the "special" seats was really different on the subway. In my time in Korea, I've seen maybe 2 or 3 not pregnant, non elderly persons sitting in those seats, usually after concerts or sporting events. Even when the rest of the car was totally full and packed and old people were sitting in the regular seats, no one under 50 dared sit in those "old ppl only" seats on a regular day. But in Japan, there were a lot of young people sitting in those areas if there were no elderly people to take up the spots.

If an old person needed the spot of course they would get up, but the attitude towards sitting there was so much more relaxed and logical.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5988 on: June 12, 2017, 02:57:43 PM »
Mr. Tim,

Normal seats. On the rare occasions I go to Seoul, I know not to sit in the special seats.

Those seats are fair game for anybody. But once an elderly/pregnant person shows up, you should give it up. Just like you don't have to avoid the handicap stall in the bathroom unless there's a guy in a wheelchair right behind you.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5989 on: June 12, 2017, 02:59:20 PM »
Huh?

Sorry, but you sound a little confused.

If you ARE contributing to that "gathering" fund, you are ALWAYS "invited", as you are paying for it.

That said, if you are NOT contributing actively to the "gathering" fund, you are NOT being included, because you have NOT been paying to be included.

Make sense now?

The resulting echo from the clear emptiness of your life can be heard in space. Chilling.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #5990 on: June 12, 2017, 03:04:31 PM »
If an old person needed the spot of course they would get up, but the attitude towards sitting there was so much more relaxed and logical.

I think what it might be is that sometimes, the old person will say "no no, that's okay" (which I've seen on normal seats on the subway and special seats on the bus) and then there's some whole dance where people offer and refuse and then whatever. Or you get some situation where an old person asks to sit and the young person might be fine or they might get up in a disappointed fashion (and then wonder, why didn't you ask THAT guy) Young people just leave it open so the old people and disabled won't have to feel sad in asking.

Not necessarily logical, but not illogical either. Keeping it open during those times when you know it's going to be full can just save some future hassle.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #5991 on: June 12, 2017, 03:09:15 PM »
I have had a headache of varying intensity for over a week now. Some days it is manageable and today it is so bad I am sweating and throwing up. First couple of days I thought it was a migraine, haven't had one in a long time but the pain was all wrong. I am sure it is something simple and it will vanish as quickly as it came, I just really really want a deep, decent, night's sleep.

I would get checked out by a doctor if I were you. It could be something more serious than a simple headache if it has been going on for serveral days. Also coupled with the sweating and vomiting, I think it would be better to be safe rather than sorry.

a headache combined with sweating and vomiting might be meningitis.

i'd see a doctor ASAP. i mean, like RIGHT NOW. if you are at work then leave immediately.

Yup. And go to one of the better hospitals if you can. Not one where you'll get a 3rd-tier doctor who will send you off with pills and a prescription for soju.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5992 on: June 12, 2017, 03:10:31 PM »
We also had a lot of buses that would get relatively filled up and then the bus would just drive by you and you'd have to wait another 30 minutes. I had so many times when a bus just wouldn't show up, or the bus driver would pop out so do some light shopping, or just cruise by my stop because they were daydreaming.

i've missed the bus in korea a ton of times because the bus has arrived early. not just a little bit, but like a good 5 minutes earlier than it's supposed to, and because the bus driver was too 'bbali bbali' to wait and make sure he arrived at the designated time.

i've also had buses drive past because they were too full, and buses with 3 people in them just drive past because the racist gaejjoshi **** driving didn't want to stop to pick up a foreigner. i've also had the door closed in my face after a bunch of koreans have gotten on, if i've been the last person in line to get on.

then i've had bus drivers who have either refused or just forgotten to stop at the stop i wanted them to, and then refused to stop before the next stop, leaving me to walk 30 minutes backwards when they finally did stop.

i've been flung onto the ground of the bus because the drivers here don't realize that a pedal can be pushed gently rather than simply pushed to either the 'on' or 'off' position.

a girl i know actually had vertebrae in her back cracked after she went flying along the floor of the bus and slammed into the front of it with her back from the bus driver ramming the brakes so hard.

but yeah it's cheap i guess.
Dang, I know the buses are early farily often but I've always been a get there before something starts/leaves kind of person so it doesn't bother me and has never made me miss a bus. I'm comparing it to my experiences here too. In a year and a bit I've never been nearly as p'd off at the bus system here as I have in Canada, which I only had to use for about 7 months (was spoiled by living in walking distance to everything but my very last job before I got here). Different areas and experiences but I'd 100% rather the bus system here than Canada, so far I've seen 4 more fist fights on a Canadian bus than here.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5993 on: June 12, 2017, 03:11:59 PM »
the attitude towards sitting there was so much more relaxed and logical.
It sounds like you have a different view of what "logical" means.

On the days I happen to take the bus from school, it is virtually empty when I board, and without fail some college-aged boy will get on the bus and sit in the "pregnant" ladies seat (it's clearly labeled and has a pink cover, etc.), though there are 12+ "normal" empty seats available.

This is logical to you?

I contend that it makes no sense, as when the bus fills up (and it will) "numb nuts" will then remain in the "pregnant" seat, while the pregnant lady stands.

If he does get up, he will have to stand.

If he had sat in the correct area from the beginning, it wouldn't be an issue.

How is that logical to you?

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5994 on: June 12, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »
I have had a headache of varying intensity for over a week now. Some days it is manageable and today it is so bad I am sweating and throwing up. First couple of days I thought it was a migraine, haven't had one in a long time but the pain was all wrong. I am sure it is something simple and it will vanish as quickly as it came, I just really really want a deep, decent, night's sleep.

I would get checked out by a doctor if I were you. It could be something more serious than a simple headache if it has been going on for several days. Also coupled with the sweating and vomiting, I think it would be better to be safe rather than sorry.

Yeah, I'd see a doctor, What?What? That doesn't sound like an average headache. Take care of yourself~~

I am fairly certain it isn't anything that serious. Well, I hadn't  really considered it. I will wait it out for tonight because it isn't too bad right now (I just had a nap in the classroom), but if I wake up with it again tomorrow as bad as it was this morning, I will have it checked. Fairly certain it's just an allergy related/sinusy/migrainy combinationy thingy thing type headache, you know. I speak the bestest English when I have just woken up.

Ok was posting, and then got rudely halted by "warning new posts". I will head off to our local hospital (I am a bit rural, so I probably will get sent off with a prescription for soju.)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5995 on: June 12, 2017, 03:24:30 PM »

The resulting echo from the clear emptiness of your life can be heard in space. Chilling.
Thank you.  I was happy to clear your false statement up for you, and your "peanut gallery" comment on my life is much appreciated, too ;)

It confirms that I am striking the right chord with my posts.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 03:26:51 PM by Pecan »

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5996 on: June 12, 2017, 03:25:07 PM »
the attitude towards sitting there was so much more relaxed and logical.
It sounds like you have a different view of what "logical" means.

On the days I happen to take the bus from school, it is virtually empty when I board, and without fail some college-aged boy will get on the bus and sit in the "pregnant" ladies seat (it's clearly labeled and has a pink cover, etc.), though there are 12+ "normal" empty seats available.

This is logical to you?

I contend that it makes no sense, as when the bus fills up (and it will) "numb nuts" will then remain in the "pregnant" seat, while the pregnant lady stands.

If he does get up, he will have to stand.

If he had sat in the correct area from the beginning, it wouldn't be an issue.

How is that logical to you?

Uhh I guess I get what you're saying but... none of those situations apply to what I observed in Japan.

For the most part, people were a lot more willing to stand and they didn't all rush and fight for seats like in Korea, so when I saw this happening there were seats open on every part of the train in addition to people standing. It was just never that full. Perhaps during peak times they would make sure they got a seat in the middle, I'm not sure, but they were just not that obsessed with elbowing people out of the way to get their asses in a chair and they weren't afraid to sit in the special section either. Again, relaxed and yes, logical.

In Korea, the entire subway will be full except the special section and people are still to afraid to sit there even for a short time before any old people get on. And let's not pretend like people here care about the pregnant seats. 90% of the time they are being filled by some middle aged guy.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5997 on: June 12, 2017, 03:30:49 PM »
Thanks for clarifying.  That makes sense.

Oh, I'm not kidding myself about the pink seats.  I'm well aware, as are you, that most Koreans using the public transport system don't care about pregnant women.

It's terrible, really.

Offline AWVM_HXE

• Newgookin
« Reply #5998 on: June 12, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »
WhatWhat?:

Can you touch your chin to your upper chest easily?

If not, you may very likely have meningitis. Please give it a shot.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5999 on: June 13, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »
Thanks everyone. I'm not dying. I apparently have a sinus infection that has resulted in an abscess in my nasal cavity above my eye, and a smaller one toward my ear. pretty disgusting. Anyway, that is being treated and today I feel a smidge better. Thanks.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne